Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-07-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fire Jerrah. Hire D-Unit!! Our GM would NEVER draft 3 Olinemen in the same draft, even if it was BPA. Love it D but we both know itll never happen lol

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Questioning the intelligence of the other mockers in this Live Draft. That's an impressive haul and as you mentioned probably on the unrealistic side.

That being said nice freaking job.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Questioning the intelligence of the other mockers in this Live Draft. That's an impressive haul and as you mentioned probably on the unrealistic side.

I echo this comment. Getting Schwenke in round four is downright criminal.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post

It's a mock that involves a collaboration of posters from 3 different draft sites.

But Schwenke's fall was not a secret. He was being brought up in the draft chat room constantly. For some reason or another the GMs just bypassed him for other talent. I wonder if the need for C is not as great as we think.

Frederick was taken in Round 2. Barrett Jones fell to Round 3.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:21 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
It's a mock that involves a collaboration of posters from 3 different draft sites.

But Schwenke's fall was not a secret. He was being brought up in the draft chat room constantly. For some reason or another the GMs just bypassed him for other talent. I wonder if the need for C is not as great as we think.

Frederick was taken in Round 2. Barrett Jones fell to Round 3.
Interior linemen are never "sexy" picks so in any forum mock they're gonna slide.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

5th round of the LIVE Forum Mock completed today. Sadness. lol.

This is the time of the draft where teams start to get a little more unpredictable, so I went into it just hoping one of my options would reach me. Obviously my eye was on Safety since I hadn't drafted one yet. In round 5, I'm not looking for the next Darren Woodson, but the depth of this draft at the position did make it better than most years. Still available were Tony Jefferson, JJ Wilcox, Shawn Williams, Rontez Miles... among others.

Picking in the middle of the round requires patience playing the waiting game. I half heartedly tried to move down in order to add a second 5th rounder. JAX had a couple of 5ths, but since this mock only went 5 rounds, using 6th rounders as bait didn't really attract anyone. I wanted to add 2 players in this round, but since I could only take one, I had to go S.

JJ Wilcox (who the Cowboys have been linked to) was taken by the Cardinals. Rontez Miles was drafted by the Titans. But my pet cat was still there. I had given some thought to taking this guy with my second pick in Round 4, but I held off knowing better.

When the Cowboys were on the clock, I kind of had a repeat of my scenario in Round 3 where I had 2 choices of guys at the same position that I wanted to draft. One that I really wanted and another who I thought should've been gone by now. The first time around I went with the BPA guy, so this time I went with the guy I really wanted. This guy is really my pet cat and has been for a while. With the Cowboys 5th round pick, I drafted FS Earl Wolff from NC State. Woop!

For some reason that I don't know yet, Wolff is not highly regarded and that is perfectly fine by me if that means we can land him late in the draft. I know NC State's defense struggled this year, but Amerson is still being talked up. IMO, Wolff proved he belongs with or above the higher ranked safeties when he put up such solid numbers at the combine. In Round 5, I am NOT gonna complain about whatever warts he has. I feel like with good coaching he can be molded into a better player. Love his rawness. His range. I also think he's got what it takes to play FS.

The other guy I almost took was Shawn Williams. High highlights are unreal, but so many times during the year when I watched Georgia, Williams would be getting beat. Plus, I think he's more SS than FS. So that's why I went with Wolff.

-----------------

1. Jonathan Cooper, OG
2. Menelik Watson, RT
3. Giovanni Bernard, RB
4. Brian Schwenke, C
4. Cornelius Washington, DE
5. Earl Wolff, FS

With my 2 6th round picks I would target (in order):

Shawn Williams, S
Tony Jefferson, S
Nickell Robey, Nickel CB
Joseph Fauria, TE
Michael Williams, TE
Ray Polk, S
Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Earl Wolff is a wonderful, mid-round player...well done!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I picked for Detroit:

1) Lane Johnson LT Oklahoma - Fisher and Joeckel went 1/2 so I had no choice
2) Sam Montgomery DE LSU - I believe he has late round 1 talent and he was the best DE left on my board and we simply had to have a DE
3) Barrett Jones OC/OG Alabama - can play OG for a season and move to OC next year when Raiola retires
4) Duke Williams S Nevada - IMO, a 3rd round talent who slipped because he's from a smaller school
5) Marquess Wilson WR Washington St. - IMO, he's a 1/2 round talent who slipped for obvious reason but I thought he was worth the risk in round 5 after he had a wonderful pro day.

I picked early in round 3 and it was a choice between Jones and Schwenke, I loved both but Detroit didn't need an OC till next year so I took Barrett because he can play OG for a season before moving over to OC next year. I was very tempted to take Watson who has a huge upside.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I picked for Detroit:

2) Sam Montgomery DE LSU - I believe he has late round 1 talent and he was the best DE left on my board and we simply had to have a DE
3) Barrett Jones OC/OG Alabama - can play OG for a season and move to OC next year when Raiola retires
4) Duke Williams S Nevada - IMO, a 3rd round talent who slipped because he's from a smaller school
5) Marquess Wilson WR Washington St. - IMO, he's a 1/2 round talent who slipped for obvious reason but I thought he was worth the risk in round 5 after he had a wonderful pro day.

I picked early in round 3 and it was a choice between Jones and Schwenke, I loved both but Detroit didn't need an OC till next year so I took Barrett because he can play OG for a season before moving over to OC next year. I was very tempted to take Watson who has a huge upside.
I thought you had a pretty solid draft. Weren't any "HUGE" Lion-type picks though. Should have taken Leon Sandcastle with one of your early round selections, that would have been pretty classic...
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I picked for Detroit:

I thought you did a really good job finding value in the early rounds. Lane Johnson is my #1 OT. He's not the #1 ranked OT in draft rankings, but I think he'll be the best LT out of this class when all is said and done.

I'm also a fan of Montgomery in Round 2. There was a time this year that I would've considered him at 18 because his production has always impressed me. But his stock is falling and I think you did a good job of not letting him slip by.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Barrett Jones. I might be his biggest fan. I heard guys in the chatroom giving you grief for taking him. Calling him a 4th or 5th round guy, but that just shows their incompetence more than anything imo. lol.

Not a fan of Duke and don't know much of Wilson other than youtube clips.

But umm... this is the Cowboys draft thread... ya know. ;)
Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

The hate for Barrett Jones in the draft community baffles me. He has been terrific at every position Alabama has ever asked him to play, and he's perfect for the center position in the NFL.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:35 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
LOVE LOVE LOVE Barrett Jones. I might be his biggest fan. I heard guys in the chatroom giving you grief for taking him. Calling him a 4th or 5th round guy, but that just shows their incompetence more than anything imo. lol.
i've certainly not been a barrett jones fan but i will agree 4th or 5th is really low for him

but i still think he's a 3rd round talent, i get that he's played guard, tackle and center, but in the pro game he doesn't have the athleticism to be a tackle and as a guard i think he'll have alot of the same struggles peter konz had this year (and for a historical reference andre gurode) dealing with the power of dt's at the nfl level and being able to generate movement in the run game and he also had trouble with some undersized quick dt's as well this past year

i also read reports that jones may very likely have to start his season on the pup, yes was carter started his rookie season on the pup too, be was a top 15 pick on the cowboys board injury withstanding, i don't see barrett jones as one of top 32 players in this draft.

as always we can agree to disagree, as a center i would take him mid-late second (ignoring the medical)and #1 overall at that position but imo if you draft jones and want to try him at guard i think he a third rounder, i have him battling dallas thomas (since they both have injury issues) as the #6 guard behind 'mack, coop, pugh, warford, and frederick

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 04-08-2013 at 06:02 PM.
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:03 AM    (permalink
cmd34
Rookie

cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd lose my mind if we drafted Cooper AND Bernard.

Not a fan of drafting Wolff over Shawn Williams.
cmd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brand new, must read article from the king of film study, Greg Cosell, on Vacarro/Elam/Cyprien/Swearinger -- his (and mine) top 4 safeties.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 04-09-2013 at 11:34 AM.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Side note -- I'm now officially working for Rotoworld. Been training for the past week and a half which is why I haven't been on here as much.

If anyone is interested, my official Roto twitter account is @ABurns85

I'm currently on player news. Basically have to start from the bottom and work my way up to writing articles, but when I do I'll link them here if it involves the Cowboys.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
Side note -- I'm now officially working for Rotoworld. Been training for the past week and a half which is why I haven't been on here as much.

I'm currently on player news. Basically have to start from the bottom and work my way up to writing articles, but when I do I'll link them here if it involves the Cowboys.
Congrats DV! I'll definitely be following you on twitter once I can access it outside of school.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
The hate for Barrett Jones in the draft community baffles me. He has been terrific at every position Alabama has ever asked him to play, and he's perfect for the center position in the NFL.
Same here. Beyond that, he brings intangibles, leadership, a winning tradition, basically everything you want out of a center IMO. I don't care that he's not a physical freak of an athlete. If his stock has gotten to where he is going in the 4th round sign me up any day of the week. Especially with him having to start on the pup, we could even red-shirt him as a rookie with us having Cook there.

He just seems like he's going to have a 10+ year career as a starting center and he may never be a top 5 center but I think he'll be top 10 for the majority of his career. Not the biggest Romo fan here, but I think we will really see him productive going late into his 30's if we address the line like this and find 3 new starters this off-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:28 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Is that a full time gig or something that you do on the side? Congrats bro.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

Good stuff Burns! Very happy for ya. You've come a long ways but it's neat to have one of us getting involved like this. Bravo!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Is that a full time gig or something that you do on the side? Congrats bro.
Part time at this point. Working different shifts on player news & transactions.

I've always gone back and forth w the guys on twitter and asked them how they got into those jobs, they apparently looked through my tweets after that & thought I had potential so they hit me up and said "if you're interested send us a writing sample."

So I stayed up all night writing about two different things, which I had the freedom to choose -- they gave no direction.

The first sample I wrote was on Vacarro/Cyprien and how they're perfect examples of the evolution of the safety position.

Then I wrote a 2nd sample about all the options the Cowboys had with Anthony Spencer after they franchised him and what I thought the appropriate course of action was.

After Roto decided they liked those I was moved into a training/trial period on news & transactions. After I "passed", I was told ill basically be given more and more responsibility and freedom until I fail.

So basically it's part time at this point, I can earn a full time role, but I don't know if that's realistic going forward.

I could dedicate myself to this but I don't think it provides for the type of lifestyle I live unless you're a nationally recognized writer. So while I love football, I'm probably going to get a full time job doing something I actually went to school for.

I left my full time job, which was a sales position for a home health company, to pursue a career that will actually allow me to put my MBA to use. I've been hunting for about 6 weeks now and this opportunity popped up in the meantime.

Basically, I love football. Awesome hobby. I like to write about it. I'm going to bust my ass to do the best I can for Roto for as long as I can, but football is my 2nd love. Money trumps all. Gotta chase that paper.

Ideally I'd be able to make the money I want writing about football but that's like winning life's lottery -- unlikely.

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 04-09-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
i've certainly not been a barrett jones fan but i will agree 4th or 5th is really low for him

but i still think he's a 3rd round talent, i get that he's played guard, tackle and center, but in the pro game he doesn't have the athleticism to be a tackle and as a guard i think he'll have alot of the same struggles peter konz had this year (and for a historical reference andre gurode) dealing with the power of dt's at the nfl level and being able to generate movement in the run game and he also had trouble with some undersized quick dt's as well this past year

i also read reports that jones may very likely have to start his season on the pup, yes was carter started his rookie season on the pup too, be was a top 15 pick on the cowboys board injury withstanding, i don't see barrett jones as one of top 32 players in this draft.

as always we can agree to disagree, as a center i would take him mid-late second (ignoring the medical)and #1 overall at that position but imo if you draft jones and want to try him at guard i think he a third rounder, i have him battling dallas thomas (since they both have injury issues) as the #6 guard behind 'mack, coop, pugh, warford, and frederick
I agree, I was worried about his medical, but we simply aren't in a position to know the extent of his injury so I went on talent alone. Obviously, if I knew for sure that he couldn't contribute in 2013/14, then I would have gone in a different direction.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:58 PM    (permalink
proof
Rookie

proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

congratulations
proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Part time at this point. Working different shifts on player news & transactions.

I've always gone back and forth w the guys on twitter and asked them how they got into those jobs, they apparently looked through my tweets after that & thought I had potential so they hit me up and said "if you're interested send us a writing sample."

So I stayed up all night writing about two different things, which I had the freedom to choose -- they gave no direction.

The first sample I wrote was on Vacarro/Cyprien and how they're perfect examples of the evolution of the safety position.

Then I wrote a 2nd sample about all the options the Cowboys had with Anthony Spencer after they franchised him and what I thought the appropriate course of action was.

After Roto decided they liked those I was moved into a training/trial period on news & transactions. After I "passed", I was told ill basically be given more and more responsibility and freedom until I fail.

So basically it's part time at this point, I can earn a full time role, but I don't know if that's realistic going forward.

I could dedicate myself to this but I don't think it provides for the type of lifestyle I live unless you're a nationally recognized writer. So while I love football, I'm probably going to get a full time job doing something I actually went to school for.

I left my full time job, which was a sales position for a home health company, to pursue a career that will actually allow me to put my MBA to use. I've been hunting for about 6 weeks now and this opportunity popped up in the meantime.

Basically, I love football. Awesome hobby. I like to write about it. I'm going to bust my ass to do the best I can for Roto for as long as I can, but football is my 2nd love. Money trumps all. Gotta chase that paper.

Ideally I'd be able to make the money I want writing about football but that's like winning life's lottery -- unlikely.
Congrats bro. Be careful about chasing money though. Sometimes it's not worth it. I chased money. And while I'm not complaining about it, I do feel that I'd enjoy working a lot more had I went into something I truly love like football. Hell, I'd give up 40gs of salary to talk about football for a living.

You make money work for you, not the other way around. As you get older you realize that a lot of the superfiicial things in life that you want or desire in your mid 20s, doesn't really mean a thing. It won't make you happy.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good luck and congrats Drewy!

Decided to try something a little different and restrict myself to drafting/signing players that Dallas has visited or will visit today on the Local Prospect "Dallas Day". Without further ado...

18) Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
By far the highest player on my board at this stage and would be a the most seamless option for transitioning to ZBS. The more I watch the more locked I become at 18.

Only player who could be on the board that would give me pause at 18 would be Sheldon Richardson. The talent gap between Cooper and the next tier of ZBS capable guards is MUCH larger than the gap of 3-techs after Richardson so the choice was easy if Cooper is available.

47) Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
Short's stock rollercoaster is settled back around the mid-2nd for most sources. He's a top 10 pick for parts of his videos and a lazy late rounder for other stretches. I want to give Marinelli a shot at motivating Kawann into the catalyst of our defensive line.

80) Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State
I love Thomas. Honestly I wouldn't be angry taking him in the 2nd despite his 3rd round valuation. He's a playmaker and that is something we haven't had in a LOOOOONNNNGGGG time on the backend of our defense.

4th) Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State
Hodges is another PSU linebacker that is MUCH better than his athletic markers due to being very intelligent. He takes excellent routes to the ballcarrier and is heady dropping into coverage. He is certainly not going to be able to shadow the uber athletic TEs in the NFL but I hope we don't ask our SLB to solo TE's in coverage too often anyhow. Former safety converted to LB and has the ability to pop the ball carrier. Maxed out frame however which bodes no ill in the Tampa 2 given he is already at 242.

5th) Stansly Maponga, DE, Texas Christian
Undersized but plays with a lot of power. Has extremely long arms and has an array of moves to get to the QB. Very, very, VERY, active hands and keeps his level low to efficiently overpower tackles. Maponga needs to enroll in the DeMarcus Ware pass-rushing camp once he arrives as his first step is inconsistent. If he becomes quicker off the snap he could become a productive edge play on the weak side.

6th) Jakar Hamilton, S, South Carolina State
Hard to find film on Jakar but watching his 2010 stuff from Georgia is encouraging. He looks for the big hit rather than the ball at times. Has the athletic markers you look for despite being a bit undersized at around 6'.

Lande broke him down in more detail:

Quote:
Looks the part with a thick neck and muscular claves. Does punt and kickoff returns as well. Strong tackler who is not afraid of contact. Is better close to the line of scrimmage than in space but is solid in coverage as well. Is a front up tackler who looks for the big hit. Can drop his weight with ease to come to balance. Outstanding lateral quickness. Can go from sprinting to breakdown position in one movement. Once he gets his strong hands on the ball carrier, Hamilton will make the tackle. Good in space but will take poor angles because he relies on his speed too much. Can get away with sloppy technique at this level in college but will need to correct his techniques in the NFL to be a starter. Has decent ball skills which he shows as a returner, but does not make many plays on the football. Looks for the hit instead of the interception or pass breakup.
UDFAs:
Kendial Lawrence, RB, Missouri
By not selecting a RB in the draft Dallas has to move quickly to secure a potential fit for the open scat-back role on offense. Kendial Lawrence was brought in for a visit and is certainly a jitterbug with excellent hands out of the backfield. Look for Dallas to be active in the veteran RB market following the draft.

Lanear Sampson, WR, Baylor
Linked with Dallas from the get-go Lanear is brought in to challenge the back-end of the roster for a spot. Excellent speed and plays with physicality above his size.

Kyle Padron, QB, Eastern Washington
Leader. Keeps eyes downfield while moving in the pocket. Athletic and will pull the ball down and scramble if options are not open. Moves VERY well in the pocket to avoid the rush. Has a sweet pump fake. Looks like his deep ball floats on him.

Prospect Videos:

Last edited by Trogdor : 04-10-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote