Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Regarding Geno, I'm not totally sold on him. He definitely has traits that can be developed, but I don't think the Jets are really a team I'm confident is going to do a good job of quarterback development. Maybe with Mornhinwig and Lee now, but I don't know.
If we aren't good at QB development then we will be in trouble throughout this process regardless (drafting a rookie QB). I don't think any QB coming out will be sufficient without adequate support for development. Clearly it didn't go too well with Sanchez, but we have different people now, and Geno / Mark are different people / players.

If Geno is available at #9 I would be fine with taking him. I'm more comfortable with Geno as a prospect than some of the other potential guys we would likely take in the second round, and at least we would be moving on and developing our QB of the future. Right now it is a hope Teddy or Johnny continue to succeed and we can get them. Not sure that is a winning strategy....but then again, neither is reaching for a QB (ie. Vikings with Ponder, Browns with Weeden).

One thing I keep hearing about this Revis deal is that the Bucs may wait to see who is on the clock before dealing. Who do you think they would be looking for that would deem it acceptable or unacceptable to deal? Is it a top talent falling, or someone in particular (ie. Rhodes?)? From the Jets perspective, I think we may draft differently at #9 knowing we have #13 as well, versus #9 not knowing you have #13.

Lastly, regarding Teddy Bridgewater, how do you compare him as a prospect to current and previous college QB's who have come out? I haven't seen enough of him, primarily only knowing him because he ditched my Canes for Louisville. I saw parts of two games, but he was hurt in them I believe.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To follow that up, from the little I have seen, and what i've read, if he seems to be worth it, it would certainly be worth it to get next years picks from the Bucs to leverage with our likely to be low pick, and have the ability to secure him. I'm more comfortable with him than I am Johnny Football, although i'm not sure others thoughts that may have seen them more than I.

Quote:
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Johnny Football is a more talented version of Russell Wilson.

He's smart, accurate, has a great deep ball, and is probably the best scrambler I've ever seen.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

C'mon guys! Somebody take the J-E-T-S, JETS! JETS! JETS!

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56074
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
C'mon guys! Somebody take the J-E-T-S, JETS! JETS! JETS!

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56074
I would, but I won't be available during those times. Sorry man

I can definitely be a co-GM if someone wants to bounce ideas off me.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:06 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I thought about it as well, however I'm not confident enough in my knowledge of lower rated prospects enough to be sure I wouldn't embarrass myself and/or disappoint my fellow Jets fans!

I would have been up for a joint discussion type of approach, like a good old fashioned draft day War Room though..

Quote:
Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Johnny Football is a more talented version of Russell Wilson.

He's smart, accurate, has a great deep ball, and is probably the best scrambler I've ever seen.
lets calm down a bit and see him go through another season and draft evaluation. How many QBs or skill position prospects in general look like sure fire top5 picks and then flame out? I've fallen for it myself, I said I'd take Robert Woods #1 in the 2013 draft back in 2011. Just relax and let's see it play out. So far the only guys I'm confident in next draft class are Clowney and Bridgewater.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
lets calm down a bit and see him go through another season and draft evaluation. How many QBs or skill position prospects in general look like sure fire top5 picks and then flame out? I've fallen for it myself, I said I'd take Robert Woods #1 in the 2013 draft back in 2011. Just relax and let's see it play out. So far the only guys I'm confident in next draft class are Clowney and Bridgewater.
I know what I saw. He's a spectacular prospect.

It's really funny actually. People have pre-conceived notions about him. That his running ability makes him some gimmick. And that he's not a great pocket passer.

That skepticism I understand because usually guys with those signature plays and those rushing stats and/or that size are gimmicky players who can't throw that well.

But believe me, Johnny Manziel can throw. He's accurate as hell, smart. Strong enough arm and almost RGIII-like deep ball touch.

He drops passes in beautifully left and right. You gotta watch the full games.

The highlights can give you a wrong impression of him.

As far as I'm concerned, he's a first-round talent if he doesn't even run once all last year. That's how good he is in the pocket. The other stuff is just an added bonus.

For the NFL, I don't love his aggressiveness because he's small and he takes on too many tackles in the middle of the field.

And of course I want to see him keep doing what he did last year. But I have no reason to believe he won't continue it. Alabama was impressive, but the last game against Oklahoma... that was No. 1 overall pick stuff if I've ever seen it.

Size/durability is my only concern.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From what I watched, Manziel looked like a fantastic prospect but one who definitely needs development. Got pretty good zip on the football for the most part. Deep passes at points were impressive, but he was pretty inconsistent. Not sure about accurate as hell, I saw flashes but he wasn't putting the ball where it needed to be on a play by play basis. Not sure he's a first round guy without running the ball, but you can't really take that out of the equation either. He's tiny, though. More of an issue because he's going to be running and taking more hits, but he's small enough that you'd be concerned even if he wasn't a runner. I think we definitely need to see how this year goes, but he does have potential.

Back to this year's draft, recent report that the Jets may be targeting Zach Ertz or Sylvester Williams in the second round. I'm kind of taking this with a grain of salt because not much about the Jets' draft plans has leaked out so far and Tony Pauline who this is coming from thinks it'd be a significant upset if the Jets didn't take a guard or a pass rusher in the first round, but worth discussing. Thoughts?

Frankly, I wouldn't be particularly happy with either. I'd talk myself into Ertz, but he's not particularly impressive to me when I watch him. Kind of okay at everything but not the kind of guy who does a great job catching the ball with bodies around him and he's not fast enough to separate enough to make up for it. Not a bad player, but I want more out of a top of round 2 tight end if I'm picking. Would much rather a McDonald/Kelce/Escobar pick in round 3 or 4 if that's possible, or a trade down for Eifert. And I just can't justify taking an interior defensive lineman any time before day 3 with what the team has invested in those spots the last couple of years.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:13 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really think the Jets need to upgrade their offense in the upcoming draft. Right now, you'll have a very difficult time scoring any points and no matter how the defense plays it won't help the team win. More sacks isn't going to help this team.

Even if you are in a position to draft a solid QB next year, you need to find him some weapons this year so he can settle in comfortably. I know your OL is decent but where are the running and receiving yards coming from??
Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think there are just two flaws in that thinking, if you're talking about the pick at 9.

One, there isn't value for offensive skill players at the 9th pick. I personally would be a fan of the Jets trading down for a guy like Tyler Eifert for example, but trading down is tough. And there just aren't offensive skill guys who the value at 9 matches up with.

The other issue is that I don't think Idzik is expecting this to be a one year rebuild. Yes, the offense is worse than the defense right now. But if they're expecting to rebuild over two drafts, they will need a pass rusher at some point in those two drafts. If they pass on an edge rusher this year, they'll need one next year. Not like the team is competing this season. So ultimately it's more important to get value.

Receiving also shouldn't be that much of an issue, it's the passing that's the problem. Kerley played well when forced to be the #1 WR last year, Holmes is a good player if not a great team guy, and Hill has potential if he continues to develop and fills a role anyway.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I really think the Jets need to upgrade their offense in the upcoming draft. Right now, you'll have a very difficult time scoring any points and no matter how the defense plays it won't help the team win. More sacks isn't going to help this team.

Even if you are in a position to draft a solid QB next year, you need to find him some weapons this year so he can settle in comfortably. I know your OL is decent but where are the running and receiving yards coming from??
RB is an overrated position, you can get one later in the draft. We have 2 young prospects at WR and 1 vet who has enough guaranteed money to keep him on the roster, so I don't see how we can use an early pick on WR. Then we get to QB, and honestly if none of the QBs in this draft class are worthy of building your franchise around then why burn a pick on one? We do need a TE and I'd imagine we will draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round. I expect a RB to be taken on day 3, and maybe even a 4th WR. Luckily our o-line only has holes at guard, which is a pretty easily position to fill through free agency or late draft picks, I wouldn't waste a 1st on Warmack or Cooper.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Anybody wondering if the Jets do something off the wall on draft day? We usually have a feel for what positions they're targeting, but this year nothing. Wondering if there will be some surprises (pleasant or not). I do think based on needs, value, and the way Idzik seems to be (build through the draft, apparently trying to accrue comp picks in the future) the priority will be to move down. We'll see if it works out.

Anyway, thoughts on pick 9 as we're getting closer to the draft? A few different positional things going on that can influence what happens.

Obviously there are three primary OLB's who seem to be potentially worth the number 9 pick - Mingo, Jordan, and Ansah. Not counting Jarvis Jones after his awful pro day though that is always a possibility (just not one I like). Of those three, some people consider Jordan a lock to go before our pick, others consider Ansah a lock. The Jaguars, Raiders, Lions, Cardinals, and Bills all seem likely to potentially target a pass rusher. The Eagles and Browns could as well, but seem to be in good enough shape to go in a different direction. Pass rusher is also a need for the Titans, so if there is a player on the board the Jets don't like they could potentially trade down with a team looking to secure that player.

Interior defensive line is not a need, but there are two top tier guys in this draft in Lotulelei and Floyd. Most would consider them to be likely to be off the board before our pick, however they could slip if teams elect to pass. Sheldon Richardson is a favorite of some as well. Both Lotulelei and Floyd would present solid value at 9, and the Titans have to be the only team besides the Buccaneers and Panthers who might consider a DT. Perhaps if one slips we can get one of those teams or another to leapfrog up to 9 and take them. The Raiders and Eagles are the teams most likely to go interior DL ahead of the Jets.

Offensive tackle again is not a need, but obviously is considered a premium position. This year there are three top offensive tackles, all of whom seem worthy of top 10 picks. If one slips I would imagine the Jets would pass, and a team might try to jump up to the Titans at pick 10 to get ahead of the Chargers/Dolphins (both of whom may want to trade up ahead of pick 9 to secure a tackle, particularly the Dolphins).

Cornerback Dee Millner is another player who is a consensus top ten pick. The Jets are visiting with him, but I'd like to avoid more high round investment in the cornerback position and focus on other needs as I'm sure many of you would. The Lions and Browns seem most likely to take Millner, so he could slip if they go in other directions. The Titans may again pluck him if he's a good value, so perhaps if he slips to 9 the Jets could get a team to move up for him.

Then there is quarterback Geno Smith, who obviously projects as a high draft pick at this point. Quarterback is clearly a need of the Jets, and teams in the top 10 seem to be avoiding drafting a quarterback. Likely landing spots might be Jacksonville, Oakland (who invested in Matt Flynn, but not that much), and Philadelphia (who could be targeting a new QB to come in with their new coach). Buffalo could make sense as well if he slips that far since Kolb doesn't get paid much if he doesn't play. If Geno's around the Jets could take him, but they might be unsure and pass. Probably wouldn't find a trade partner as not many teams drafting after the Jets need a quarterback.

The Titans seem to be a bit of a wild card, which I think plays into the Jets' favor a bit combined with the top of the draft this year. At this point, as described above, I think there seem to be 8 guys who are potentially in play frankly to be top 5 picks and seem likely to go top 10 (Joeckel, Fisher, Lotulelei, Floyd, Jordan, Ansah, Millner, and Smith) and a 9th in Lane Johnson who seems really likely to go shortly after and has an outside shot to go top 5 if a team moves up.

Because a lot of teams seem likely to want to trade out of the top 10, it seems to me that if one of the three tackles (namely Johnson) is the one of those 9 to slip, the Jets aren't in a position to do much but take Mingo, which isn't necessarily bad. I do think that it is best for the Jets if they all go top 8, and I think that's probably likely. Philadelphia is the real interesting point there, because I'm guessing the Lions might pass on a tackle. If the Eagles pass on Fisher/Joeckel, that player probably slips to 7 and Johnson drops to 10 where some team moves ahead of the Chargers to snap him up. Don't see how a guy with his physical ability doesn't go top 8 and I think there will be movement for the tackles high in the draft particularly with teams wanting to move down, but we'll see what happens there. Bottom line, I think the Jets want three tackles drafted in the top 8 since it doesn't do them much good to have a tackle slip unless they're able to convince a team they're better off trading up to 9 than 10 to make sure they secure the tackle they want. And the team that's moving up may very well be Miami, so not sure if they want to make a draft day trade with a potential divisional rival.

Geno Smith is probably the most interesting case, and the one I'll say the least about. On one hand, the league is a QB driven league and it seems certainly worth taking a shot on him to see if he's a franchise QB if he's on the board. But it seems like a bit of a roll of the dice, and it probably wouldn't be the worst thing to have him off the board to another team since if they don't want him, they probably won't be able to move out of 9 for another team that wants him.

The defensive tackles and Millner I'll lump in together. I think the Jets would like them to go top 8, but could make do if they don't. They're top tier players at fringe needs (except Floyd, who fills no need) but they may be able to move out of 9 if a team wants to grab them. The value seems to present well enough at 9 that it's a possibility that a team deals up. Probably can't lose with these three unless they can't find a trade down because nobody thinks the Titans are interested.

Then there's the pass rushers, who actually fill a need. Ansah I don't know if the Jets like. Lots of upside, but lots of downside too. I think he'd find success in NY because the defensive coaching staff is good and the defensive line will eat up blockers, plus I like the skills he's been able to develop playing interior DL and think he fits better in space. But, there's definitely a lot of risk there. I think they're better off if he goes high like many are projecting. That said, he's big enough to project to fit as a 4-3 end in Tennessee and pass rushers come at a premium. If they don't like him and he is on the board, I could see them moving down with a team that wants to bring in another pass rusher. Jordan I know Jets fans are divided on. I see him as a guy with Mingo's physical upside and pass rushing production on less snaps, plus the ability to cover when they mix things up in the hybrid scheme. I think they take him if he's there and I'd be happy with that, but I don't think he's there so not sure those who don't like him will end up complaining about them drafting him. So many landing spots (Jacksonville, Philadelphia, possibly Detroit or Cleveland, Arizona, Buffalo) he probably won't be there at 9.

All of that said, I think the most likely pick at 9 if the Jets can't move out of the pick is Mingo. And I'd be okay with that. Similar to Jordan, the physical upside is immense and I think he'd benefit from the move to OLB playing in more space, the defensive coaching staff, and the defensive line in front of him.

Picks we should be rooting for, IMO, are:
1) KC - This is going to be a tackle, not sure it matters which one.
2) Jax - Geno, Floyd, or a trade down for a team looking to secure a tackle would be ideal. Would prefer they don't go pass rusher here. Think this is Geno or Jordan in that order.
3) Oak - Same as above, but I'll throw Star into the mix. Think it's an interior DL, Ansah, or a trade down. Best case scenario would be a team leapfrogging the Eagles for that second tackle, which makes sense from a need scenario (a few teams need tackles, Eagles are a consensus landing spot for that second tackle), value (teams priorititze OT's), and Oakland is missing their second so may be willing to take less to move down.
4) Phi - Offensive tackle would be ideal, Geno wouldn't be bad either. At this point I'd almost prefer they pass on an interior DL so the Jets have that potential trade down option in their back pockets and the tackles don't slip. Think it's OT or Star in that order, those are my preferences, not sure what happens if Geno's on the board or the second tackle is off.
5) Det - Millner is best case scenario to me that's logical. Don't think they go offensive tackle, would prefer pass rushers slip. Think they pop Millner or Ansah.
6) Cle - Would like them to go Millner if he's available, not sure he will be. Total wild card because Mike Lombardi is a bit off. He seems to like measurables though. Could take Geno if he's there. A move down to a team looking to a tackle ahead of Arizona provided one is available and Millner is off the board would make sense to me.
7) Ari - Obviously a tackle would be ideal if one is here. A Barkley pick as rumored would work, but that seems very unlikely now. Stranger things have happened. No interest in the Jets going guard in the top 10, so Warmack would be fine too if they do something like that. Sneaking suspicion they go pass rusher, but tackle just seems to make too much sense if one of the best 3 is on the board.
8) Buf - Ideally the Bills go WR or do something off the wall like take Barkley or Manuel. Much like the Jets though, need/value seems to match up with pass rusher, so I'd guess they stand pat and take the best one on the board.

A (likely silly) top 8 mock - which coincidentally as I read through it is exactly the same as the recent mock Rob posted in the top 5. Not sure what the Jets do at 9 in this scenario:

1) KC - Joeckel
Seems to be the consensus top tackle in the draft. Fisher would make sense also, would be surprised by anything else. Haven't studied either much since the Jets are unlikely to be able to/want to pick them.

2) Jax - Geno
Don't think they'll be able to move out as teams are going to have an easier time getting up to 3. Gabbert is pretty clearly awful, it seems they might like Geno which I think is a solid explanation for why teams behind them have started coming up with other (albeit weak) QB options. Most important position in the draft, can't hurt to roll the dice.

3) Mia from Oak - Fisher
Saw this in Rob's mock and it just makes sense. Dolphins need a LT, have extra day 2 picks to burn. Eagles are likely to go LT so a logical team to leapfrog, and the Raiders are going to want extra picks.

4) Phi - Star
Think with the top two tackles off the board they go with a big body they can move all over the DL in their 3-4 front. Too many pass rushers to go in that direction, Star fits better than Floyd. Need meets value, and Chip is smart enough to know in the NFL games are won in the trenches.

5) Det - Ansah
Could see Millner here also. Apparently they loved Ansah at the Senior Bowl, fills a need, value seems to match, and he's got a ton of positive momentum heading into the draft. Think it comes down to those two, but priority goes to the trench guy.

6) SD (from Cle) - Johnson
Chargers don't want to miss out on a left tackle, and leapfrog ahead of Arizona who seems likely to go in that direction. Could easily see the Browns taking Millner, which I think would work out much better for the Jets.

7) Ari - Jordan
With the top tackles off the board, Arizona plucks probably the highest rated 3-4 OLB in the draft. They tend to go for measurables, fit a need, good value.

8) Buf - Mingo
Not sure what the Bills do in this spot. They invested in CB last draft, bigger need seems to be at OLB. Could go off the wall and draft a QB or go with Patterson/Austin to complement Johnson, but don't think they do that.

Leaves the Jets in a tough spot. Maybe they can get a team to move up for Floyd or Millner like I speculated above. As I think about it more, not sure who though. Maybe Tampa for either if the Revis trade falls though, but if it doesn't the Jets either have 13 or some high 2014 picks and the Bucs probably can't afford to move many more. Maybe the Raiders move up a few after moving down a bunch to get Floyd. Panthers could move up, but seems unlikely with needs all over the team. Dallas for Floyd, maybe? The more I think about it, the more important it is for the Jets to have Millner slip provided the Revis trade goes down. Not many teams have big enough CB needs in the teens to warrant a move up, and if he's surprisingly there I wouldn't want the Jets to take him.

That ended up a lot longer than I had intended.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Floyd falling past 2, 3, and 4 isn't happening.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Somebody sign up to represent the Jets in the Forum Mock!

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...79#post3322879
Old 04-07-2013, 04:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Floyd falling past 2, 3, and 4 isn't happening.
I take it you think the Eagles taking Star over Floyd is unreasonable, then? Because I don't see the Jags picking Geno or the Raiders moving out for a team that wants to take Fisher being unrealistic. Don't really think Floyd is as good a 3-4 fit as Star, though, so I could certainly see it happening.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Floyd's the best defensive prospect available and both Jacksonville and Oakland need that position.

If for some reason the Jags went Ziggy/Jordan (even though they don't really fit their scheme that well), and Oakland took Smith (I doubt they want Smith for a bunch of reasons), he'd be the easy best player on the board for Philly.

Quote:
Matt Williamson
‏@WilliamsonNFL
Can't see any way S Floyd gets out of the Top 3 overall...no way
Old 04-07-2013, 04:44 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

That's one guy's opinion that he doesn't get out of the top 3. Can't take everything to be gospel. Williamson's not exactly a huge NFL source either.

And not that you don't know your stuff, but it's your opinion he's the best defensive prospect. Teams could feel differently. Plus he's not the most scheme versatile guy. Far stranger things have happened.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts

Every single NFL.com mock drafter has him in the top 3.

Kiper and McShay have him in the top 3.

Mayock has him ranked No. 1 at his position.

It's not one guy's opinion. It's the overwhelming consensus. I don't think I've seen one credible mock draft with him falling past 3, let alone 4.

I'm not trying to win an argument here as much as inform you that Floyd's stock is one of the few things the entire draft world has agreed on. It's not like Geno Smith or even Ansah. Floyd and the two tackles are rock solid right now. So I would tweak your mock to include him because that does affect the Jets.

So he's not falling to 9 unless he gets injured or rapes someone.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

You said 5 before, not 9. I'm not saying you're wrong and it's not going to happen, because he likely does go top 3. But there aren't a ton of fits in the top 10 if the Jags pass and Raiders move out.

Not a tremendous 3-4 fit. I think his stock is on fire because everyone assumes he's going to go #3 to Oakland at worst. But I think they'd ideally like to move out. And if they move out or don't take him, I think he could be in for a tumble.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I personally think he's going No. 2 and has been all along. He's just the ideal player Jacksonville needs and it's blatantly obvious.

I highly highly doubt he tumbles on draft day and the overwhelming consensus is that he'll go top 3 but carry on I guess.

I'll admit anything can happen, but that usually doesn't apply to consensus top 5 players who are healthy falling too far...
Old 04-07-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

You could very well be right, I'm just not a big fan of speaking in absolutes - particularly this early. Would be interesting if he goes to Jacksonville, since consensus seems to be Geno/edge rusher. I just think we're a ways away, this is prime BS time around the league.

The overwhelming consensus you're referencing also consists of Kiper (who is all over the place and lost his touch a couple years ago), McShay (who nobody really respects), and a bunch of mock drafts on nfl.com that are generally absolutely terrible. And they almost all have him going to Oakland. I wonder what happens if he doesn't. Again, I agree it's likely he goes top 3, but not sure those are the supporting opinions I'd be looking for.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
You could very well be right, I'm just not a big fan of speaking in absolutes - particularly this early. Would be interesting if he goes to Jacksonville, since consensus seems to be Geno/edge rusher. I just think we're a ways away, this is prime BS time around the league.

The overwhelming consensus you're referencing also consists of Kiper (who is all over the place and lost his touch a couple years ago), McShay (who nobody really respects), and a bunch of mock drafts on nfl.com that are generally absolutely terrible. And they almost all have him going to Oakland. I wonder what happens if he doesn't. Again, I agree it's likely he goes top 3, but not sure those are the supporting opinions I'd be looking for.
derza, been waiting for your PM reply dude. :)

You want to take the team in the forum mock? Or does anyone else want to take the Jets? Last team left to be taken.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
derza, been waiting for your PM reply dude. :)

You want to take the team in the forum mock? Or does anyone else want to take the Jets? Last team left to be taken.
Just PMed you, I'll take them.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
I personally think he's going No. 2 and has been all along. He's just the ideal player Jacksonville needs and it's blatantly obvious.

I highly highly doubt he tumbles on draft day and the overwhelming consensus is that he'll go top 3 but carry on I guess.

I'll admit anything can happen, but that usually doesn't apply to consensus top 5 players who are healthy falling too far...
I'm big on Floyd personally and think he is a top 5 prospect but I have him falling to 6 in my latest mock and even there its going to take a team trading up with Cleveland for him to go that high. Here's why:

1. Chiefs are likely taking Joeckel or Fisher, thats been established, if they took a DL, Lotuleilei would be a better fit for the 3-4.

2. Jaguars could take Floyd, but they just signed 2 DTs to rotate along with Alualu who's already in place, so it seems DT isn't their priority in the draft. I think they're going to take Geno personally.

3. Raiders could take Floyd, but they also are starved for draft picks so I have them trading back with a LT needy team like Miami to take Eric Fisher (or Joeckel, whoever the Chiefs don't pick).

4. Eagles switched to a 3-4, and need a 2 gap block occupier, as Fletcher Cox is already their penetrating Floyd-like DT on their 3 man front, and not many 3-4 teams employ 2 guys like that at DE (the Cardinals are the only ones that come to mind with Dockett and Campbell), so I think Lotuleilei is likelier.

5. If the Lions take Sharrif Floyd I'd be absolutely stunned, they do have a BPA mentality, but when he'd be hard pressed to see any snaps or have to drop 20 pounds and play DE I just don't see it happening, though the Lions could trade back to someone who wants Floyd.

6. Browns are set on their 3-man front with Bryant, Rubin, and Taylor. Floyd wouldn't make much sense here either, I have the Cowboys giving the Browns their 2nd rounder to move up to get Floyd but that's a stretch IMO too.

7. Cardinals have Campbell and Dockett, why would they take Floyd?

8. Bills have Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus...

9. Jets have 2 of their last 1st round picks at the 3-4 DE spots that Floyd would play, not happening here!

10. Titans would take him in a heartbeat.

So assuming no trade ups, he could fall all the way to 10! I think if he's there at 6 or 7 the Browns or Cardinals will gladly trade back with a DT needy team like the Bucs, Panthers, or Cowboys and he'll go 6th, but that's no lock.