Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-09-2013, 02:36 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepThreat View Post
Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest.

Yeah, I just started Infinite Jest. Hopefully it proves... finite.
I've always wanted to read Infinite Jest, it's supposed to be one of the true contemporary classics. Maybe I'll check it out this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
I've given up mentioning most books I read in this thread, but recently I read The Naked Lunch. Don't read The Naked Lunch. APS may have some thoughts on this, I know he's studying the Beat Generation to some extent, but that book is just, not right.
Burroughs is...interesting. He's probably the author I'm least familiar with as far as my studies go, but I've still read the majority of his canon and done a ton of academic research into him. An interesting figure and absolutely fundamental in progressing not just experimental literature but the postmodern mindset in America. Certainly not for everyone. Naked Lunch is pretty far out, it's early cut-up technique if I'm not mistaken. Some parts just don't make sense, but it's not unlike Thomas Pynchon in that in it's incoherent ramblings it actually offers a poignant (if heavily veiled) critique of the postwar condition.

As strange as Burroughs is, I can top him. I recently read House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski, and I can say confidently that I have never in my entire life read a text that so completely shattered my understanding of what a novel was. I'd recommend it to anyone with a taste for the weird, because it is indescribable in it's uniqueness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You have reminded me APS that I need to read House of Leaves. I remember picking it up from the library way back in early high school but it looked so damn intimidating that I never actually read it. I have only ever heard amazing things about it so I really look forward to giving it a read.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone read The Elder Scrolls novels? Are they worth reading?

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
As strange as Burroughs is, I can top him. I recently read House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski, and I can say confidently that I have never in my entire life read a text that so completely shattered my understanding of what a novel was. I'd recommend it to anyone with a taste for the weird, because it is indescribable in it's uniqueness.
I've read that 7 times. It's, honestly, my favorite book. So, I would also recommend this. But, I don't know if I would call it weird or indescribable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
You have reminded me APS that I need to read House of Leaves. I remember picking it up from the library way back in early high school but it looked so damn intimidating that I never actually read it. I have only ever heard amazing things about it so I really look forward to giving it a read.
Do it. Right now. Stop whatever you are doing and read that book.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:34 AM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Brent told me to read it. I got about 100 pages in and I was confused, depressed, scared, scarred, and I just stopped. I should read it over break this week but I need to finish up "The Signal and the Noise"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

reading How To Be Black and this **** is hilarious

Old 03-29-2013, 03:35 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finally got around to reading Born to Run and loved it (I studied exercise physiology in school). Will now read The Dude and The Zen Master.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I read The Silver Linings Playbook this weekend. It was okay 3/5. I didn't really like the writing style. Moving on to The Two Towers now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

HST's Hell's Angels is just great.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been reading the Percy Jackson series for my English Education class. It's really good. I feel like it will be a great way to implement a lot of Greek lore/mythology into the classroom without having to subject high schoolers to the Iliad/Odyssey.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You would rather have your students read percy jackson than Iliad/Odyssey? Wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I've been reading the Percy Jackson series for my English Education class. It's really good. I feel like it will be a great way to implement a lot of Greek lore/mythology into the classroom without having to subject high schoolers to the Iliad/Odyssey.
Why not both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
One could easily start with passages from Percy Jackson or have kids read that for entertainment before introducing them to the actual Odyssey, but no one actually teaches the whole thing anymore.

Hell, I just use a few of the stories because it's more about the moral lesson/ideas presented than the actual text.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My Aunt bought me really old versions of both books. I love em.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Why not both?

One could easily start with passages from Percy Jackson or have kids read that for entertainment before introducing them to the actual Odyssey, but no one actually teaches the whole thing anymore.

Hell, I just use a few of the stories because it's more about the moral lesson/ideas presented than the actual text.
Pretty much what Brent said. You use an alternative or comparative text that students (typically) will find more interesting and pair it with a challenging or difficult read. You read both texts, or ideally mix and match bits from both.

For me in high school, Iliad/Odyssey was too challenging/boring and my teacher did not do a great job of explaining it. After I got to college and had a World Lit class with an insanely brilliant professor I finally understood it quite well but most high schoolers typically dislike or struggle with the Greek texts.

I think Percy Jackson is fantastic because you get a lot of genuine and historical Greek myth wrapped in a narrative students will understand better.

Most people brush off young adult lit as not being as "educational" or for the classroom but much of YAL has the same premise and ideas as the canonical works we're accustomed to. If you can implement the canonical piece and other YAL that students will be more interested in you can give students a much better chance at understanding and valuing the canonical piece.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
morrise18
Rookie

morrise18 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes2053 View Post
HST's Hell's Angels is just great.
Good to know, I bought it for 10 cents at a garage sale. Definitely going to read it now.
morrise18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:39 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

Be warned that it's purely journalistic and definitely not Gonzo, but still a good read.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm perhaps biased towards Steinbeck, but damn is East of Eden good. Also been on a mini-Irish lit kick recently, reading The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Dubliners and The Picture of Dorian Gray. Joyce's stuff is quality and certainly worth the hype, but Dorian Gray I found particularly good.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm actually writing my last Masters paper on HST. Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail though, not Hell's Angels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's taking me forever to get through Lolita, but I'm really enjoying it. I just don't have the time to get really into books anymore, unfortunately. I think I'll read An Artist of the Floating World next.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:32 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

Flying through this right now.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
Old 04-29-2013, 12:19 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any of you guys on Goodreads? It's a good way to keep track of everything you've read as well as find new books to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Any of you guys on Goodreads? It's a good way to keep track of everything you've read as well as find new books to read.
Yeah, I am. Name is Nalej or ackNalej. Can't remember.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I've used their site for some things, but I'm not a member of it. I may have to sign up for it though. As I get closer to teacher I've been reading a ton of Young Adult Lit. A lot of it is just bad ass.

I'm starting the Divergent series, which is apparently the next big thing. The third book should be out in the near future too. It's quite good.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Never heard of good reads before, but I just signed up and starting putting things I've read over the past year. Up to 70 books, but I know I'm missing a ton, wish I knew about this earlier.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote