Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 04-13-2007, 08:47 AM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.
Default Story on Chiefs draft plans

There was a good read this morning about the Chiefs and the thier disdain for taking WR's early in the draft. It really makes the wish list confusing if you believe the story. I'm really hoping the Joe Staley is available for us.

http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/69032.html
BPhilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:32 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, Staley would be good.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:39 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NOOOOOOO I want Robert Meachem.Screw the past take a freaking WR
Old 04-13-2007, 11:34 AM    (permalink
USAF Chief

Mark my words - R1 will be defense, whether it is a CB or a DT and I don't think we take a WR until at least R3 (can we pick up Jason Hill in R3 or will he be gone by then?) Another late round prospect Im loving right now is Jacoby Jones out of Lane - serious talent, great measurables and he won't cost us much because of the smaller school stigma.

I'd love to see a Darrell Revis or the CB from Texas in the first. We can use them immediately in the nickel and then eventually move them to a corner spot much how the Texans used that CB they drafted in 05 (name escapes me)

I don't see a tradedown happening UNLESS someone of real value starts to slip (ie Quinn, Brown, Okoye, Carriker, etc...)

Out.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:37 AM    (permalink
USAF Chief

I don't know why everyone is wanting to take a OT in this draft. We signed McIntosh who will be a good stopgap for a few years at least which gives us some leeway to wait in this years draft and get another position of need. We have Terry on the other side who did fine last year after replacing Turley so IMHO the two tackle spots are being held down fine right now and we have no reason to bring in a rookie to compete for those spots.

If we are deadset on drafting OL in R1, then we need to do it at the RG position or the C position and take Blalock or Kalil to continue to bolster the line because Kalil is going to blow it up as a C and considering that Shields/Weigmann are definitely done after this year (in all honesty they were done last year, but why not come back after making the playoffs?) and let the rookie spend a year learning under one of the best lines to be in the NFL in the past couple decades.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:53 AM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Chief View Post
I don't know why everyone is wanting to take a OT in this draft. We signed McIntosh who will be a good stopgap for a few years at least which gives us some leeway to wait in this years draft and get another position of need. We have Terry on the other side who did fine last year after replacing Turley so IMHO the two tackle spots are being held down fine right now and we have no reason to bring in a rookie to compete for those spots.

If we are deadset on drafting OL in R1, then we need to do it at the RG position or the C position and take Blalock or Kalil to continue to bolster the line because Kalil is going to blow it up as a C and considering that Shields/Weigmann are definitely done after this year (in all honesty they were done last year, but why not come back after making the playoffs?) and let the rookie spend a year learning under one of the best lines to be in the NFL in the past couple decades.
McIntosh was not a bad signing, but at the same time teams don't let good left tackles go if at all possible and Miami didn't seem too interested in having him back. He will probably be a short term upgrade over Jordan Black, but having a good left tackle is so utterly important in today's game and if we have a chance to get a good one now I really don't see how we can pass one up. That and our depth is terrible through the line and we have a lot of replenishing to do after the upcoming retirements and it doesn't make sense to try and do that all in one year. I'm in the minority it appears, but I don't want anything to do with a CB in round 1. It's not a position that I think we would get any great value with for a team with many other opprotunities for upgrades.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:20 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We don't need a dominant WR. The OL is where we need to get talent. Look at 3 years ago. We had the same caliber WR's and still had the #1 offense because of our line and RB.

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:42 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

McIntosh is a decent at best left tackle and Terry did nothing replacing Turley. If Joe Staley is available the Chiefs need to look at him long and hard.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

guys i gave you staley in my recent mock, is that suitable?
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:50 PM    (permalink
USAF Chief

If your looking for the general consensus I guess that works, but I guess my opinion depends on who was still available when we picked at 23. I would entertain a trade-down possibly as well as picking up either a OG or OC for the O-Line or DT/CB/WR.

I just typed that whole paragraph and I guess the point is that we have no damn clue as a group of fans what our team is going to do on draft day. Everyone has a different opinion, LOL.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm wondering if we don't go OL now that Shields retired
Old 04-15-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trade down get Blaylock, Grubbs, Sears, Ugoh or Kalil and get another 4th.
Trent Green is being heavily pursued by Dolphins - get a 3rd or 4th out of him.

Atlanta, Buffalo could both address the CB position if they traded with us. Maybe Arizona could get a safety like Griffin or Merriwether.

I woldnt mind ending up having this as a draft order type deal

2a.
2b.
4a.
4.b
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:47 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
I'm wondering if we don't go OL now that Shields retired
I'm all for Blaylock.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
USAF Chief

If we want Blalock I think we can trade down a bit, but no lower than Baltimore, who it seems in a lot of mocks are looking at OL heavily and favor Blalock.

If we traded back into the second though I think we could pick up Kalil and maybe Eric Wright @ cornerback or Ramirez to play RG and then grab a WR or corner in R3.

If we grabbed Kalil (who is supposedly one of the best technique players at OL this draft and based on my observations does very well with basic blocking concepts and has good skill) we could cut Weigmann and have a new tandem start at RG/OC to go with our solid LG and new tackles.

I think if we are going to shore up our OL we need to do it in one fell swoop so that they can start being coached up and learn to play together because I think the consistency over the years is what made the KC line so dominant back in the DV era.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 PM    (permalink
USAF Chief

I begin to wonder though if the RG spot isn't already going to be filled by Welbourn.

I think Welbourn (who's natural position is G) could take over that spot and play well allowing us to fill other holes this year. We may be able to trade back still and get extra picks.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If we want Blalock I think we can trade down a bit, but no lower than Baltimore, who it seems in a lot of mocks are looking at OL heavily and favor Blalock.

If we traded back into the second though I think we could pick up Kalil and maybe Eric Wright @ cornerback or Ramirez to play RG and then grab a WR or corner in R3.

If we grabbed Kalil (who is supposedly one of the best technique players at OL this draft and based on my observations does very well with basic blocking concepts and has good skill) we could cut Weigmann and have a new tandem start at RG/OC to go with our solid LG and new tackles.

I think if we are going to shore up our OL we need to do it in one fell swoop so that they can start being coached up and learn to play together because I think the consistency over the years is what made the KC line so dominant back in the DV era.

Whoah...CUT Weigmann? What's wrong with you?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:27 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

I thought Weigmann was considering retiring
Old 04-17-2007, 01:35 PM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
I thought Weigmann was considering retiring

Sounds like he is not. The article below says he wants to play three or four more years.

http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/73134.html
Old 04-18-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Notice how the Chiefs' two best skilled players on offense, and you could easily make a case for overall, are Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson. Both were 1st Round picks by the Chiefs, in 1997 and 2003 respectively.

Hmm.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:40 PM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mark my words - R1 will be defense, whether it is a CB or a DT and I don't think we take a WR until at least R3 (can we pick up Jason Hill in R3 or will he be gone by then?) Another late round prospect Im loving right now is Jacoby Jones out of Lane - serious talent, great measurables and he won't cost us much because of the smaller school stigma.

I'd love to see a Darrell Revis or the CB from Texas in the first. We can use them immediately in the nickel and then eventually move them to a corner spot much how the Texans used that CB they drafted in 05 (name escapes me)

I don't see a tradedown happening UNLESS someone of real value starts to slip (ie Quinn, Brown, Okoye, Carriker, etc...)

Out.
I think you are absolutely right. I'm almost certain our first pick will be a defensive player. I don't think it will be a corner. I'll have to double check but I don't think Herm has ever drafted a corner in the first round. Off the top of the dome, the highest he's gone was Justin Miller a few years ago in the second round (I'll have to double check that though). So I don't think I see the Chiefs going corner in the 1st. Although I do like Revis and Houston.

I'm still hoping that Meachem makes it to our pick and we take him. But I just don't get the feeling the Chiefs are looking to go offense in the 1st. I can't really explain it but I have this feeling that our 1st pick is going to be a defensive lineman. One from the SEC.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Drafting a CB is definately a need, but I think DT will have more of an effect. I got a question for you guys: With the FA acquisitions we've made, is the KC defense a top ten defense now?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Also, I see one guy taking a WR(Dwayne Bowe) and the reasoning is that he is big and is the best Run Blocking WR in the draft....I can also see that. But I don't know about the Bowe guy....
Old 04-23-2007, 08:44 AM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
Also, I see one guy taking a WR(Dwayne Bowe) and the reasoning is that he is big and is the best Run Blocking WR in the draft....I can also see that. But I don't know about the Bowe guy....

That is defenitly something to keep in mind as we are drafting. Our WR's are not necessarily great run blockers in it probably was part of the reason LJ didn't break off as many big runs last year as his skills would suggest. One guy I'm looking at in the later rounds is Julius Wilson from UAB. He is a project, but is a very good run blocker and might be just what we need when looking for value on day 2.