Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In terms of this defense right now, Swearinger is a great fit IMO. Ability to play man coverage, his aggressive nature fits the mentality perfectly too. Think some of the flags he got in college were based off of his reputation, so hopefully he avoids that in the NFL and reels himself in just a bit (stuff like the personal foul, unsportsmanlike I think it was after he drilled Ellington could be avoided).

They also didn't really have a starting FS last year and Leonhard was always a liability with his height as much of a fan of his I was.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our scheme doesn't really employ the typical FS role, both safeties are asked to play close to the line of scrimmage a lot. Which is why the past few years its been guys like Eric Smith and Yeremiah Bell, bigger hard hitting safety types that could easily play SS as well. For that reason I think guys like Vaccaro or Reid would be solid fits, I like the Swearinger fit as well but not sure if he's ready for a starting role year 1 (although we're not doing anything this year anyway so who cares I guess). I wouldn't want to use more than a 3rd on him.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets apparently kicking around bringing back Calvin Pace. I would be alright with it on a veterans minimum deal.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So this had never occurred to me. Profootballtalk's Mike Florio has reported that the Jets/TB Revis deal could include Sanchez. Now that would be something. Surely the Jets would be taking a QB this year then. Here is the link:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...f-revis-trade/
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good point about the draft.

If they pull that off, I'd say there's a 40/60 chance they take a QB at 9 and a 90/10 chance they take a QB in the first two rounds. Actually 99/1.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Good point about the draft.

If they pull that off, I'd say there's a 40/60 chance they take a QB at 9 and a 90/10 chance they take a QB in the first two rounds. Actually 99/1.

If they land TB's #13, either the 9 or 13 would most likely be a QB.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ah, I am an idiot, completely overlooked 13.

Hm. That would give them a lot of flexibility. Wow that would actually be so interesting...

But it would be so nerve-wracking for me as someone who pretty much dislikes all the QBs minus Nassib.

I'll pose this question. Here are your options:

1) Geno Smith at No. 13 (just for argument's sake to even out the poll - I'm basically asking if you'd be pro-Smith - not if you'd "like him but rather take X at 39."
2) Tell me what QB you want at No. 39.

My vote goes to Nassib at No. 39.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

I feel the same, I don't really have any QB that I hope the Jets take. Nassib at #39 would be ok, but I'd rather land Geno with the 9 or 13. I could see Idzik and the Jets passing on a first round QB though, because I think it would be risky for him to tie his name and new Jet legacy to any of these guys.

Saw a great piece of info recently, where this year's QB class was being compared to 2000's class, as one of the most lowly regarded coming out. Only one QB taken in the 1st round that year, Pennington at #18 to the Jets. As we all most likely know, Tom Brady was discovered in the 6th round by NE. So you never know.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I don't know what the negative compensation for Sanchez is, or that it's worth it. Does open up a lot of cap space in 2014 apparently but...eh. If we're talking about giving up like a third round pick to get rid of Sanchez, I'd kind of prefer Sanchez and the pick.

Geno Smith is tough. There are some people who know more football than I do and I respect their opinions, and they really like Geno Smith. Me personally, I dunno. Do I think he's better than Mark Sanchez? I do. I think a lot of QB's in this draft are better than Mark Sanchez. But I don't like him THAT much. I'd get behind it because I believe in the if you don't have a franchise QB you roll the dice theory, ESPECIALLY towards the back half of the top 10/in the early teens when you can just dump a guy after a couple years if you were wrong.

But honestly from watching him, I'm not a huge fan. He's got traits, but hasn't put them all together yet. Do I like him more than Locker/Gabbert/Ponder? Yup. But those aren't exactly guys who panned out. I get that QB's get overdrafted and that's a group where you can look at it two ways - their team took a shot and missed, but they're not tied to him like the Jets were to Sanchez.

Mostly given the current situation of the team, I'd rather wait till next year. New coach, new quarterback. Maybe draft Dysert early day 3 if he's there.

Which brings me to a question: what to do about Rex Ryan? I'm somewhat torn, honestly. I think he's on his way out after this season. Somewhat deserved, but not entirely. He's good when things are going well and bad when they aren't. The one thing about him is it seems like his defense is ALWAYS going to be good. Always.

Last year for much of the year they were starting two safeties in their first year in the system, one of whom was talented the other of whom was a solid vet, but neither really had that much coverage ability. Kyle Wilson was a starting corner. Ellis Lankster was the nickel. Isaiah Trufant was getting on the field. Garrett McIntyre was starting at OLB for more than a few games. Pouha went down, Ellis went in. The linebackers were slow as ****. Harris had an awful year. Scott was hurt, Davis went in as a rookie and did alright. They're going to lose probably all but 3 starters this offseason and come back faster, worse against the run, and better at getting after the QB. Probably will be a push. After losing 8 starters. That's impressive. Get Rex an offense, and who knows what he could do.

But, I think he's on his way out. And it's probably warranted. He's lost his edge a bit, still a great defensive mind but just doesn't seem like he's going to be a long term HC in NY which is a shame because he's such a good defensive coach and really just needed to reel himself in a bit.

I think this draft will tell us a lot about what they're going to do with him. If they go offense, it could go either way. If they go defense, we'll see if they go with versatile guys or guys who fit Rex's scheme. For example, heading into next offseason looking for a new HC, Idzik probably isn't going to want to be limited to coaches who will want to run a 3-4 if they go in and draft a guy like Mingo early who isn't a great 4-3 fit at this point. But a guy like Ansah or Jordan could make that work (not that they'll be around at 9). If they go offense, it's kind of irrelevant, but what kind of front 7 pieces they draft will be interesting. Same with safeties. A center field type that Rex doesn't use as much versus a guy like Swearinger who hits and plays man coverage or Shamarko Thomas...it'll be something to watch for in a couple weekends I think.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post

Which brings me to a question: what to do about Rex Ryan? I'm somewhat torn, honestly. I think he's on his way out after this season. Somewhat deserved, but not entirely. He's good when things are going well and bad when they aren't. The one thing about him is it seems like his defense is ALWAYS going to be good. Always.
Bringing in Morhinweg, along with all the other offensive coaching changes, including Special Teams with Kotwica will tie in large to Ryan's fate I believe. The fact that Woody didn't fire Rex in a year where he brought in a new GM shows that he might actually like to keep him. If the Jets draft and coach well on offense, and it looks like the arrow is pointing up, and Rex continues to be Rex with his D, then I think he will be back again in '14.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you look at the injuries and our roster last year, Rex should get coach of the year for even going 6-10. I absolutely love that Tannenbaum and Sparano were fired and Rex was given another shot. Although I'm torn because I want the Jets to end up with the 1st or 2nd pick in this draft to get Bridgewater or Clowney, but that'd likely mean Rex getting fired =(
Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I mean honestly, the Jets have a pretty good setup right now provided Idzik can be the GM I think he can. Idzik is definitely a real hardass. Rex is a players coach who can motivate guys and put together one hell of a defense. Mornhinwig is a great offensive mind, and frankly they should just let him handle the offense and make Rex hands off. They complement each other well.

If they could somehow find their QB of the future this year and then draft Clowney...
Old 04-13-2013, 03:33 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Got to say, if the Jets can get Chris Ivory for even a 4th rounder, or later, I would be pretty pumped. I think he would be a great addition, as I've always liked what i've seen. Combine Ivory/Goodson/Powell and i think you have a solid enough group to move forward with..see who emerges.

My fingers are crossed this goes through.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:46 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I've posted about Ivory in this thread before. He's so good.

But how do you get him for a 4th? He was tendered on a 2nd round level...
Old 04-13-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can get him through trade. If you go through offer sheet, which isn't matched by the Saints, it would be a 2nd-rounder. However, discussions have been that the Jets may be attempting to get him for a mid/late round pick. 2nd rounder is too high, especially at #39

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah, Ivory for a late round pick would be solid. A 4th would be okay, 5th would be fantastic. Not sure about his pass catching skills, but other than that...
Old 04-14-2013, 01:24 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, Ivory for a late round pick would be solid. A 4th would be okay, 5th would be fantastic. Not sure about his pass catching skills, but other than that...
I really like a lot of the late round - undrafted RBs in this class, I wouldn't want to give much more than a 5th for Ivory
Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
I really like a lot of the late round - undrafted RBs in this class, I wouldn't want to give much more than a 5th for Ivory
I like them a lot as well, but Ivory does have the benefit of having film in the NFL. For a relatively sure thing over a roll of the dice, a 5th would be pretty good. Wouldn't feel great about a 4th, but I wouldn't be too upset either. A 3rd would bug me.

Speaking of picks, latest rumor I saw was a 1, a 3, and a 6 this year for Revis.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

If they end up with an extra 1 and 3 this year, Ivory for a 4th looks great.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:

Speaking of picks, latest rumor I saw was a 1, a 3, and a 6 this year for Revis.
That would be amazing. Fingers crossed on that. Vaccaro at 13 is sounding really really good to me.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Pace back on a one year deal. Decreases the role a draftee at OLB would have off the bat.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pace back on a one year deal. Decreases the role a draftee at OLB would have off the bat.
Yeah, I'm comfortable with them addressing OLB with our mid-round picks rather than round 1 or 2. I guess my dream draft scenario would be to trade Revis for #13 + additional picks in either 2013/14. Then trade down #9 for more picks, draft Vaccaro at #13, Ertz in the second, and focus on OL, LB, WR depth in the middle rounds.

Last edited by TimD : 04-16-2013 at 09:38 AM.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:13 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'm not big on Ertz, personally. I think there's a big drop off from Eifert to him and a smaller drop off (or none) from him to the Escobar-McDonald-Kelce group.

The benefit to bringing in Pace and drafting a OLB high is they can bring them along slowly and don't have to worry as much about their ability to set the edge early on. Makes me think Mingo is a realistic possibility. Unless the rookie/Barnes is better against the run than expected they could go Pace/McIntyre on obvious run downs, rookie/Barnes on obvious passing downs, and mix it up on other downs depending on what they want to do.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

great points.

Idzik is doing a fine job thus far. The draft/Revis will define his first off season though
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Latest thoughts on the possible Revis deal with TB:

I understand that a lot of posturing is going on as we enter the week before the draft. Jets leak out info that TB isn't offering enough. Reports come out of a possible 1st, 3rd, 5th this year, which would seem like a good deal, and the Jets still didn't pounce. Now TB leaks that the Jets are asking for too much and may pass on a deal. ESPN's Adam Schefter recently reports that he thinks the deal has a "60-40" chance of going through. This after what seemed to be an almost done deal weeks ago. With how much hype has gone around with this Revis situation, the draft around the corner, and the thoughts of a new future through rebuilding, I guess I've convinced myself that I'd be disappointed if a deal didn't happen. I own a Revis jersey, I have a rookie autographed card in his Pitt uniform, and I'm still thinking this !!!

What's your guys thoughts if this deal falls through?