Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-14-2013, 01:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Classic Car Thread

I didn't see one here so I figure I might as well make a page for it.

Is anyone here into car restoration? I've been superficially into it for years, but I never really took the time to learn the details of what it takes to restore a car. I only knew superficially what it encompasses.

But I always wanted to restore a car once I had the resources to do it.

Anyone here ever do a project? Post pics, stories etc.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've got an 88 bronco II I've been restoring a little at a time since highschool. I love that sexy beast so much, although its not really a collectors item. Once I get bored and rich I'm gunna me a 77 and fix that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Last edited by DoughBoy : 04-14-2013 at 02:08 PM.
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't take advice from R4L.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post
I've got an 88 bronco II I've been restoring a little at a time since highschool. I love that sexy beast so much, although its not really a collectors item. Once I get bored and rich I'm gunna me a 76 and fix that up.
It doesn't have to be a classic american muscle car to be cool.

I think all classics are great. Trucks, american muscle, european, hot rod, jdm, you name it.

For the longest time I wanted to restore a classic american muscle car. 69 camaro to be exact. But the popularity of them has made the prices skyrocket and it's very expensive now. For what would be a summer/weekend car, you'd have to dish out a good chunk of change to either buy or restore a quality ride.

Recently I've been getting into classic JDM cars. It's a growing niche in the industry, but it's still not very popular, which attracts me to it for 2 reasons:

1. It's cheaper
2. It's different

I'm looking into the 1971 Datsun 510 right now. I'm putting together my spread sheet of everything I want to do and the cost associated with it and just putting together my foundation for what i want, who/which vendors to go through, which body shops to use, what parts I want etc.

I think once you do all your hw and get your funds squared away and organized, then it's a lot easier to execute.

I'm still learning about all the parts and what shops I want to use so I'm a long way to go. But it's definitely fun and it's a great way to kill some time.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Either that or a 1971 Nissan Skyline 2000GT.

But I prefer the Datsun body lines.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a restoration but I had a 70 Cuda 440 that I wish I had held onto and am reminded by my son on pretty much a daily basis.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Yeah I'd remind you on a daily basis too. You know how much those cars are valued these days?! You couldve made a fortune!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Classic.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Classically awful.

In my young days (sigh, it feels like such a long time ago) I worked on a 94 mitsubishi eclipse. 4 cycl turbo, awd, dsm motor. We got it up to 250 with all stock internals and we used to have fun with it.

Real honda tuners messed with the CRX. Bc those NA engines would push like 270 with throttle bodies on em (if you got the jdm engines imported which had an extra 10 hp in em) and on that light body those things would fly.

I used to laugh at the guys who put turbos on their civics. They'd need a new engine after like 4 races bc 90% of them would never modify their engines and forge their pistons.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You just said a bunch of words that mean nothing. My Civic is amazing, not only has the car weathered some absurd usage and trips, it's solid on gas, a nice smooth drive, surprisingly spacious for how itty bitty it is when it's time to park, has a tiny turning radius, and is quick enough to just make it whenever I never to pull some **** to keep from getting killed. Plus it's wonderfully nondescript, which has been a major boon to my driving record.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I love the civic. Hell I bought one as a commuter car. But it's not a classic bro!

*throws you out of the thread*
Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

You may love civics, but The Civic is a classic. That car has managed to slip through **** that neither of us should've walked away from, and it's fixed itself. She is a classic.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-14-2013, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Yeah I'd remind you on a daily basis too. You know how much those cars are valued these days?! You couldve made a fortune!
Paid 5400.00 for it and now I see them at auctions in the 75k range. Yeah, I'm quite aware.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:49 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a classic american muscle car to be cool.
No, but they are definitely the sexiest.

Seriously, there is nothing sexier than the classic look of american muscle.

I think the sexiest car in production right now is the new Dodge Challenger.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:06 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

American muscle is definitely the sexiest. Those body lines will never be replicated.

They're just so damn expensive now though. I wanted to restore one, but it's just not an affordable hobby anymore. The market has skyrocketed.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:12 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really love the late 60s early 70s muscle cars, but if I had the money to afford one, I'd get an 80s model Firebird. One of my close friends' cousin has a fully restored one and it is ******* amazing. I really like the 85 z28 as well.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Those 2 models are relatively affordable compared to the 60s and 70s models. And they have a lot more modern technology so restoring them up to modern standards will be easier. You don't have to worry about replacing drums with disc brakes, and you might be able to get away with keeping the stock engine without having to restore it too. You might even be able to keep the rear diff stock as well.

It would save a ton of money.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
No, but they are definitely the sexiest.

Seriously, there is nothing sexier than the classic look of american muscle.

I think the sexiest car in production right now is the new Dodge Challenger.
For the money i'm not sure how you can beat the C6 and soon to be C7 Vette.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

The old vettes are still relatively affordable if anyone wants to restore them. They're not considered muscle cars but they had aggressive lines to them and they have that muscle car sound.

I know a guy who has a 71 vette and it sounds so mean. That's one thing I love about carburated engines, the fuel injected engines of today just doesn't replicate the sound that they had. They sound so damn mean. Especially with a magnaflow or flowmaster exhaust. Flowmaster exhausts aren't great for performance though. I loved the 55 Vette convertible too.

The new vette is sexy too. That's one of the few modern american sports cars that we do right. I love the mustang but that live rear axle is just too much for me, after 40 years you figure they'd fix that. The camaro is great too.

Mustangs and camaros are so common though, which takes away some of the luster of them. I still love the 69 camaro and the mustangs too (67 fastback, shelby, boss, etc).
Old 04-15-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a 72 stang.

Best car ever.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

That's awesome. Did you buy it in that condition?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

It's in my family since the 90s. Bought it from my pops 4-5 years ago. The only thing we did change was the color. Everything else is authentic on it.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 04-15-2013, 11:56 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Lucky man! How often do you drive it? What's the maintenance like on it?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
The old vettes are still relatively affordable if anyone wants to restore them. They're not considered muscle cars but they had aggressive lines to them and they have that muscle car sound.

I know a guy who has a 71 vette and it sounds so mean. That's one thing I love about carburated engines, the fuel injected engines of today just doesn't replicate the sound that they had. They sound so damn mean. Especially with a magnaflow or flowmaster exhaust. Flowmaster exhausts aren't great for performance though. I loved the 55 Vette convertible too.

The new vette is sexy too. That's one of the few modern american sports cars that we do right. I love the mustang but that live rear axle is just too much for me, after 40 years you figure they'd fix that. The camaro is great too.

Mustangs and camaros are so common though, which takes away some of the luster of them. I still love the 69 camaro and the mustangs too (67 fastback, shelby, boss, etc).
I had a 72 vette (noticed i said had) and put a Holley 4 barrel on it, it sounded great. Those years there was a lot of extra weight and to me the 350 wasn't anywhere near the car the 427 was. Driving a C6 now with the Magna Flow exhaust and it sounds and runs a lot better.

Would like to get the C7 in a couple of years but pretty much have been told to get out of the house if i do.