Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
Nawrocki talking about Geno Smith's early season six months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wFBUExypME

Does not look like a racial issue to me.
No, he's NO WAY near racist.
That's just a lazy, ignorant, irresponsible label too many fools throw out these days if it's a Caucasian ripping anything about a person who happens to be black.
That's all it is.

Nawricki has praised plenty of black dudes before.
And he's ripped on some white guys before... sometimes been wrong about them as well.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:43 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just read a fluff piece on Smith in SI.

Quote:
"I was in there when our coaches had Smith on the board," says one AFC director of player personnel. "He wasn't good. He was outstanding. He was a maestro on that board. He was phenomenal."
That sounds good. Refutes what I saw with Mooch and some of the other reports, but there's no reason for the guy to lie I suppose.

But the funny thing with Smith to me is how the riddle has gone full circle. The more I study him, the intangible question marks I had seem less legitimate and believe it or not, his statistics are a red flag when you look deeper at them.

I've broken down the inconsistencies from game-to-game and year to year including the wall he hit this year. And how he got most of his stats in a few games against literally the worst pass defenses in the nation. And how he didn't even have a great YPA - way more important stat than the others. And his avg. distance traveled from secondroundstats, etc.

What I didn't know until I read this article is that he LOST 32 career fumbles (and he had recovered 2 of his own in the Syracuse game). That's crazy.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
Nawrocki talking about Geno Smith's early season six months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wFBUExypME

Does not look like a racial issue to me.
How could one tell with that clip? Smith wasn't even in the conversation of a top QB pick at that time.
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
No, he's NO WAY near racist.
That's just a lazy, ignorant, irresponsible label too many fools throw out these days if it's a Caucasian ripping anything about a person who happens to be black.
That's all it is.

Nawricki has praised plenty of black dudes before.
And he's ripped on some white guys before... sometimes been wrong about them as well.
Once again, who called him a racist? You keep defending him from something that never occurred. You are starting to sound like you have an agenda yourself.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
And how he didn't even have a great YPA - way more important stat than the others.
why is that?

His senior yr he had 8.1 yards/attempt which is very close to his career yards/attempt average. His yards per completion is 11.40.

His 70.1% completion in his senior yr, and 67.4% career completion tells me that he completes better than 2 of every 3 passes. Either way you slice it, that will be a first down.

A Qb who can consistently move the chains is someone who can get the offense in position to score points. That is what Geno Smith did. Scoring more points than the enemy is what wins football games. Unfortunately for him, the WVU defense gave up more than 30 points per game.
findthedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you look a few pages back I broke down what the Kansas and Baylor games did to his YPA and comp. %. I believe they were ranked 118th and 116th in pass D.

He doesn't consistently move the chains. Consistency is not his strength. EVen the stats will show you that.

His net totals look great but the game log tells a different story - he hit a wall and there's no consistency.

secondroundstats had his average yards through the air per pass attempt at like 4.5 or something which was easily the lowest among the top QBs. That helped his comp. %.

8.1 ypa isn't great for NCAA especially in the Big XII and considering how much YAC he got from his stud playmakers. It was lower than Barkley, Wilson, and Manuel and .1 better than Nassib who had no help.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:15 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If you look a few pages back I broke down what the Kansas and Baylor games did to his YPA and comp. %. I believe they were ranked 118th and 116th in pass D.

He doesn't consistently move the chains. Consistency is not his strength. EVen the stats will show you that.

His net totals look great but the game log tells a different story - he hit a wall and there's no consistency.

secondroundstats had his average yards through the air per pass attempt at like 4.5 or something which was easily the lowest among the top QBs. That helped his comp. %.

8.1 ypa isn't great for NCAA especially in the Big XII and considering how much YAC he got from his stud playmakers. It was lower than Barkley, Wilson, and Manuel and .1 better than Nassib who had no help.
Look man, you are clearly nitpicking every stat you can find to down grade Smith. I don't see you doing this with any other QB which tells me all I need to know. I am not saying Smith is not without his flaws, but please tell me who is better. If you put half the effort you do in tearing down Smith into tearing down the other candidates, they'd look like a bunch of 3rd day picks.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:28 AM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That kind of comes with the territory of being (more or less) the consensus top QB prospect. You are going to get nitpicked to death. Especially when you follow the class that had Luck and RG3 in it.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:43 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Geno 'hit a wall' for the entire 2012 season??lol
He doesn't move the chains consistently???

Okay.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:06 AM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If you look a few pages back I broke down what the Kansas and Baylor games did to his YPA and comp. %.

I believe they were ranked 118th and 116th in pass D.
1. you want to discount what Geno did against Baylor, but that is what he HAD to do to win the game. The final score was 70-63.

Smith and the offense were under pressure to score nearly every time they touched the ball because the defense was so bad. They have the 118th ranked pass defense

2. Every QB plays against teams that one would consider "powder puffs"...the good ones capatilize on those oppurtunities. Tyler Wilson (Ark) played against Louisiana-Monroe (108th ranked pass defense) and lost. He completed only 55% of his passes.

3. Even if you take away Geno's Baylor and Kansas game, he finishes 301 compete out of 443 attempts (67.95%), for 3142 yrds, 31td, 5INT (6:1 ratio), 2 rushing TDs, 7.09YPA, 10.43 YPC. Those are still impressive numbers showing someone who is accurate with the football, scores points, and has low turnovers.

Quote:
Bull ****.
He had 518 passing attempts for the 2012 season, and 1465 for a career. You cant have that many oppurtunities without moving the chains. IF you are punting the ball or turning it over, than that diminishes the oppurtunities for your offense.

Some might argue that Geno has that many passing attempts because they arent rushing the ball much (or using alot of screens). WVU had 461 rushing attempts for the 2012 season (ranked 52nd). That is more rushing attempts than OU (434), TEN (413), USC (392), ARK (367).

Simply put, WVU had alot of offensive plays/oppurtunities because they were able to consistently move the ball.

Quote:
Bull ****.

Quote:
secondroundstats had his average yards through the air per pass attempt at like 4.5 or something which was easily the lowest among the top QBs.
1. 4.7yrds in the air. Since he completes better than 2 out of 3 passes that would be close to a first down. The fact that he is able to hit his recievers in stride allows for more YAC.

2. as someone else stated in the comments section. "the only stat that strikes me as a bit off is the “Avg. Dist.” stat.
It would be more helpful to know how far the ball actually traveled from the QB’s hand to the receiver. A 5 yard crossing pattern across the middle requires a throw of about 10 yards from where the QB’s setup occurs to where the receiver is when he catches it. Conversely, a 5 yard out pattern might have the ball traveling almost 30 yards through the air.
This can also be true of screen passes. Sure the receiver is catching the ball behind the line, but how far away is the QB? Is it a WR screen where a pass gets rocketed 20 yards towards the sideline, or a RB screen shovel pass that traveled only 2 or 3 yards?
To me, there is more to a stat than just literally how far down the field a pass went because it really only considers 1 axis on the 2 dimensional plane of the playing field. "

3. Secondround stats was not based on study of the entire 2012 season, but a handful of games. A smaller sample size would decrease the significance of the findings, while increasing the likelihood of error.

Quote:
That helped his comp. %
he does something called "adjusted completion percentage", which accounts for drops, as well as the different systems.

http://nugap.files.wordpress.com/201...if?w=300&h=115

Geno is still more accurate than the other QBs overall. He was also the most accurate among short (screens, 1-5yrds) and intermediate (6-20yrd) passes.

Quote:
that is a meaningless stat. who cares?

We know geno completes better than 2 of every 3 passes. As long as he has a YPA >5, than it will result in a first down.

His yards per completion is 11.40. That too is a first down.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:30 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Findthedr again.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 04-13-2013 at 09:32 AM.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see way too much twisting of Geno's stats to fit the argument one way or the other. A lot of stats that are being debated are irrelevant when trying to project Geno to the NFL. The offense he ran at West Virginia is so different than what he's going to run in the NFL, that it's sort of ridiculous to suggest that his raw numbers mean much. The evaluation should come down to what does he do well and what doesn't he do well. Not how many YPA in the air he has in an offense that he'll never play in again.

My real quick scouting report: I see a quarterback who has a strong arm, is a good decision maker, has plenty of athletic upside, and doesn't collapse under pressure. I also see a quarterback whose accuracy isn't as good as his college numbers suggest, has an average-at-best deep ball, and has struggled when taking snaps from under center (granted, it's a small very sample-size).
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
batsandgats
Rookie

batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah, nitpicking who most think is the top qb in this class means a person must have a hidden agenda. I am sure people have spent a lot of time watching him than someone like Nassib. as far as Barkley, USC wasn't that good this year compared to the past and I don't think people watched a lot of their regular season games live. Meanwhile, tons of people tuned in to see WVU play, Geno was getting all the hype early in the season.

Its not the screens and the regular stuff that bother me, because they run that in the NFL, its that "touch pass" that goes 5 inches forward and I saw it on Gruden's camp and its a td pass for him, I googled it and see a 38 "completion" to Tavon Austin. How many of these "passes" did he throw. That is something that inflates completion percentage.
batsandgats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:31 PM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsandgats View Post
Its not the screens and the regular stuff that bother me, because they run that in the NFL, its that "touch pass" that goes 5 inches forward and I saw it on Gruden's camp and its a td pass for him, I googled it and see a 38 "completion" to Tavon Austin. How many of these "passes" did he throw. That is something that inflates completion percentage.
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...ith-geno-smith
great article addressing alot of the concerns about smith. Snippets below:

Smith was particularly effective on short passes. He attempted half of his passes within five yards of the line of scrimmage, including an AQ-high 112 screen passes last season.

On passes of this distance, Smith completed 82.6 percent with 15 touchdowns and no interceptions.

[findthedr's note: If you take away his 15tds from "short" passes, than he still has a 27TD, 6INT which is a 4:1 ratio which is better than the rest]

Smith completed 70.8 percent of his passes when opponents sent five or more pass rushers last season, the highest completion percentage against the blitz of Scouts Inc.’s top eight QB prospects.
---------------------------------------------------
someone on another site charted smith's passes for 9 games this season as well as broke down some of the plays. you can read about that here:
chart
link

Summary: Smith is accurate, effective against the blitz, has a great TD:INT ratio

Last edited by findthedr : 04-13-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:38 PM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

based on espn's data 259 of smith's attempts (half) were within 5yrds of LOS and he completed 82.6% which would equal ~214 completions. Thus if you removed all those passes he is completing ~60% >5yrds.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by findthedr View Post
1. you want to discount what Geno did against Baylor, but that is what he HAD to do to win the game. The final score was 70-63.

Smith and the offense were under pressure to score nearly every time they touched the ball because the defense was so bad. They have the 118th ranked pass defense

2. Every QB plays against teams that one would consider "powder puffs"...the good ones capatilize on those oppurtunities. Tyler Wilson (Ark) played against Louisiana-Monroe (108th ranked pass defense) and lost. He completed only 55% of his passes.

3. Even if you take away Geno's Baylor and Kansas game, he finishes 301 compete out of 443 attempts (67.95%), for 3142 yrds, 31td, 5INT (6:1 ratio), 2 rushing TDs, 7.09YPA, 10.43 YPC. Those are still impressive numbers showing someone who is accurate with the football, scores points, and has low turnovers.

A 7.09 YPA is not impressive in any way.

Bull ****.
He had 518 passing attempts for the 2012 season, and 1465 for a career. You cant have that many oppurtunities without moving the chains. IF you are punting the ball or turning it over, than that diminishes the oppurtunities for your offense.

Some might argue that Geno has that many passing attempts because they arent rushing the ball much (or using alot of screens). WVU had 461 rushing attempts for the 2012 season (ranked 52nd). That is more rushing attempts than OU (434), TEN (413), USC (392), ARK (367).

Simply put, WVU had alot of offensive plays/oppurtunities because they were able to consistently move the ball.

Except in games when they didn't move the ball consistently. Again, you are just giving me net totals - and plays run is a philosophy thing. They struggled to move it against TTU, KState, Cuse, etc.

Bull ****.

1. 4.7yrds in the air. Since he completes better than 2 out of 3 passes that would be close to a first down. The fact that he is able to hit his recievers in stride allows for more YAC.

2. as someone else stated in the comments section. "the only stat that strikes me as a bit off is the Avg. Dist. stat.
It would be more helpful to know how far the ball actually traveled from the QBs hand to the receiver. A 5 yard crossing pattern across the middle requires a throw of about 10 yards from where the QBs setup occurs to where the receiver is when he catches it. Conversely, a 5 yard out pattern might have the ball traveling almost 30 yards through the air.
This can also be true of screen passes. Sure the receiver is catching the ball behind the line, but how far away is the QB? Is it a WR screen where a pass gets rocketed 20 yards towards the sideline, or a RB screen shovel pass that traveled only 2 or 3 yards?
To me, there is more to a stat than just literally how far down the field a pass went because it really only considers 1 axis on the 2 dimensional plane of the playing field. "

3. Secondround stats was not based on study of the entire 2012 season, but a handful of games. A smaller sample size would decrease the significance of the findings, while increasing the likelihood of error.

he does something called "adjusted completion percentage", which accounts for drops, as well as the different systems.

Geno is still more accurate than the other QBs overall. He was also the most accurate among short (screens, 1-5yrds) and intermediate (6-20yrd) passes.

We know geno completes better than 2 of every 3 passes. As long as he has a YPA >5, than it will result in a first down.

I... I don't know how to explain what's wrong with this.

A YPA near 5 is atrocious. HORRIBLE. That's not even debatable...

And he's had that in a bunch of games. And as you did the math for me, his YPA when you take away Kansas/Baylor is about 7. 7! That's disgustingly bad considering his circumstances.

And it's not a meaningless stat at all. It's easily second-most meaningful behind TD/INT.

Your chart... it just proves my point. When you look at his performances down the stretch - they are scary - the defense has very little to do with it. 54 attempts for 260 yards against TCU... Texas TEch, KState, the dud against Syracuse... that's not consistency... A college QB rating over 100? Now that's meaningless.

And the fumble stat was what really caught my attention. 32 lost fumbles? Just speaking about stats - that's just horrible and is not a good indicator of someone "who can beat the blitz."
Old 04-15-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

Quote:
A YPA near 5 is atrocious. HORRIBLE. That's not even debatable...

And he's had that in a bunch of games. And as you did the math for me, his YPA when you take away Kansas/Baylor is about 7. 7! That's disgustingly bad considering his circumstances.

And it's not a meaningless stat at all. It's easily second-most meaningful behind TD/INT.
just because you say that "YPA" is meaningful or important doesnt make it so. Please articulate why it is.

Quote:
Your chart... it just proves my point. When you look at his performances down the stretch - they are scary - the defense has very little to do with it.
BULL ****!

A defense that gives up nearly 50 points per game during the 5 game losing streak has alot to do with it. Louisiana tech and Oregon were the NCAA leaders in scoring offense averaging 51.50 and 49.54 points per game respectively.

It is very difficult to overcome a 50pt deficit in football. That is over 7 touchdowns!!!

Quote:
54 attempts for 260 yards against TCU...
3 Tds and 1 INT. Geno smith did his part to help win. The final score was 39-38 and 2 OT. WVU had only 78 rushing yards.

When your qb has 54 passing attempts there is a problem with either the playcalling or the rushing offense. Only an idiot would knock Geno Smith for his performance against TCU.

Quote:
Texas TEch, KState,
1. defense giving up on avg 50ppg during the 5 game losing stretch. "On seven first-half possessions the Red Raiders scored touchdowns on five." "No opponent had ever managed 600 yards of offense against WVU before this season. It's now happened twice in three games."

2. At that time Texas Tech was the nation's 2nd ranked defense.

3. Texas Tech and Kansas State were able to drop 8 into coverage and get pressure with only 3 men. With that many pass defenders they were able to succesfuly take away the big play, and WVU was unable to exploit the matchup in the running game.

Quote:
the dud against Syracuse... that's not consistency...
the game was a BLIZZARD.

The old addage is when it is run the ball in december. Syracuse did exactly that with 369 RUSHING YARDS.

I know you would passing the ball all over the place during a blizzard, but that likely will lead to incompletions and turnovers.

Quote:
And the fumble stat was what really caught my attention. 32 lost fumbles? Just speaking about stats - that's just horrible and is not a good indicator of someone "who can beat the blitz."
plase cite this stat. I dont believe it is accurate.

Teamrankings has data on fumbles, and fumbles lost.

Geno stats
2012: fumbles 8, lost 3
2011: fumbles 12, lost 4
2010: fumbles 8, lost 6
2009: no data available.
----------------------------

so between 2010-2012 Geno Smith lost 13 fumbles.
Here are his total TD: turnover numbers (Fumbles lost + INT)
2012: 44:9
2011: 33:11
2010: 24: 13
2009: 1:1 (fumble info unavailable)

now keep in mind that Geno smith touches the ball on likely every offensive snap, and WVU has alot of offensive snaps. For the 2012 season, WVU was 10th in the NCAA with 998 offensive plays. With 9 turnovers, Geno averaged turning the ball over 1x every 110 plays. If you looked at only passing plays, than Geno Smith averaged a turnover 1x every 57.55 passing plays.

How does that compare to say, Tyler Wilson?

Wilson had 13 INT in 401 passing plays. If you looked soley at INT (and didnt include fumbles), than wilson would have an INT turnover 1x every 31 passing plays.

Last edited by findthedr : 04-15-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:01 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
the game was a BLIZZARD.

The old addage is when it is run the ball in december. Syracuse did exactly that with 369 RUSHING YARDS.

I know you would passing the ball all over the place during a blizzard, but that likely will lead to incompletions and turnovers.
Not sure if serious.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:04 PM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Not sure if serious.
you think its a good idea to throw the ball around in a blizzard?!

Syracuse did not, and ran. They had 369 rushing yards, and was the reason they won the game. I dont have the stats, but I am pretty sure anytime an offense rushes for over 300yrds they have a significant likelihood of winning the game.

I thought that was common sense.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
you think its a good idea to throw the ball around in a blizzard?!

Syracuse did not, and ran. They had 369 rushing yards. I dont have the stats, but I am pretty sure anytime an offense rushes for over 300yrds they have a significant likelihood of winning the game.
His point was that is far from a blizzard

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I see way too much twisting of Geno's stats to fit the argument one way or the other. A lot of stats that are being debated are irrelevant when trying to project Geno to the NFL. The offense he ran at West Virginia is so different than what he's going to run in the NFL, that it's sort of ridiculous to suggest that his raw numbers mean much. The evaluation should come down to what does he do well and what doesn't he do well. Not how many YPA in the air he has in an offense that he'll never play in again.

This part I agree with 100%, QB stats from college will rarely equate to anything as a pro.

My real quick scouting report: I see a quarterback who has a strong arm, is a good decision maker, has plenty of athletic upside, and doesn't collapse under pressure. I also see a quarterback whose accuracy isn't as good as his college numbers suggest, has an average-at-best deep ball, and has struggled when taking snaps from under center (granted, it's a small very sample-size).
Here, I'm not in complete agreement. I see a QB who has a strong arm, is a poor decision maker, is slow to release the ball when in the pocket, tends to target in on his main receive and he is a questionable leader. He is a solid athlete and I see no panic in his game, but that poor decision making gets him consistently into trouble against better defenses.

I'm not worried about his overall accuracy, nor am I worried about his deep ball, but if he cannot learn to quickly pick up the open receiver and doesn't quicken his release, he is going to get killed in the NFL.

Overall, I'd give him a rating in the 20-25 range, that doesn't mean he cannot succeed but anybody who thinks his transition to the pros will be an easy one, is in for a big shock.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:42 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
just because you say that "YPA" is meaningful or important doesnt make it so. Please articulate why it is.

BULL ****!

A defense that gives up nearly 50 points per game during the 5 game losing streak has alot to do with it. Louisiana tech and Oregon were the NCAA leaders in scoring offense averaging 51.50 and 49.54 points per game respectively.

It is very difficult to overcome a 50pt deficit in football. That is over 7 touchdowns!!!

3 Tds and 1 INT. Geno smith did his part to help win. The final score was 39-38 and 2 OT. WVU had only 78 rushing yards.

When your qb has 54 passing attempts there is a problem with either the playcalling or the rushing offense. Only an idiot would knock Geno Smith for his performance against TCU.

1. defense giving up on avg 50ppg during the 5 game losing stretch. "On seven first-half possessions the Red Raiders scored touchdowns on five." "No opponent had ever managed 600 yards of offense against WVU before this season. It's now happened twice in three games."

2. At that time Texas Tech was the nation's 2nd ranked defense.

3. Texas Tech and Kansas State were able to drop 8 into coverage and get pressure with only 3 men. With that many pass defenders they were able to succesfuly take away the big play, and WVU was unable to exploit the matchup in the running game.

the game was a BLIZZARD.

plase cite this stat. I dont believe it is accurate.

Teamrankings has data on fumbles, and fumbles lost.

Geno stats
2012: fumbles 8, lost 3
2011: fumbles 12, lost 4
2010: fumbles 8, lost 6
2009: no data available.
----------------------------

so between 2010-2012 Geno Smith lost 13 fumbles.
Here are his total TD: turnover numbers (Fumbles lost + INT)
2012: 44:9
2011: 33:11
2010: 24: 13
2009: 1:1 (fumble info unavailable)

now keep in mind that Geno smith touches the ball on likely every offensive snap, and WVU has alot of offensive snaps. For the 2012 season, WVU was 10th in the NCAA with 998 offensive plays. With 9 turnovers, Geno averaged turning the ball over 1x every 110 plays. If you looked at only passing plays, than Geno Smith averaged a turnover 1x every 57.55 passing plays.

How does that compare to say, Tyler Wilson?

Wilson had 13 INT in 401 passing plays. If you looked soley at INT (and didnt include fumbles), than wilson would have an INT turnover 1x every 31 passing plays.
- YPA is a more important stats than yards and completion percentage. You really don't know that? It's the equivalent of YPC for a running back. Think about why what you do per play is important... lol

- Calling me an idiot for not being impressed with a 54-attempt, 260-yard performance? I don't care if he threw for 20 TDs, that's not good.

- The fumble stat was in Peter King's MMQB last week which was probably meant to be 32 total fumbles, not lost (I shouldn't have overlooked that). Still bad.

EDIT: I thought it was there. Turns out it was from everyone's fav. scouting report. Not lost, but total. That was a mistake. Still bad.

- I am not comparing Geno Smith to Tyler Wilson. I don't think any of these QBs are very good. I am simply evaluating Geno Smith. When I cited the other QB's YPA's in comparison I was essentially saying "he has such better stats than these weak QB prospects... but not YPA."

- I am not worried about the result during the 5-game losing streak. I am worried about how he performed in those games - poorly, regardless of what the D did.

- That game was not a blizzard.

Last edited by gpngc : 04-15-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Bull ****.

Bull ****.

2. as someone else stated in the comments section. "the only stat that strikes me as a bit off is the Avg. Dist. stat.
It would be more helpful to know how far the ball actually traveled from the QBs hand to the receiver. A 5 yard crossing pattern across the middle requires a throw of about 10 yards from where the QBs setup occurs to where the receiver is when he catches it. Conversely, a 5 yard out pattern might have the ball traveling almost 30 yards through the air.

Game, set, match. Good work.
Kaepernick is this years pat white. Thin, gimmick offense and doesn't possess an nfl arm. The ncaa constantly regurgitates clones of past players and amazingly enough, tricks some people into thinking they're better than their cloned half. Kaepernick was a complete waste of a senior bowl qb spot. A better qb will come from the east/west shrine or whatever they're calling it now...count on it

- Genius
Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

In a post where he calls YPA a meaningless stat... then proceeds to say a YPA near 5 is acceptable...

Points to the defense as an excuse...

And cites a college QB rating over 100 as a good barometer of performance.

Totally game-set-match stuff. Smith's going to be great for sure.