Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Vikings4ever
Veteran

Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default RIP Pat Summerall

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ll-dies-at-82/

Quote:
Pat Summerall, an NFL player in the 1950s and 1960s who would go on to become one of the sportís most respected broadcasters for decades, has died at the age of 82, according to the Dallas Morning News.
Vikings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rest in peace, Pat

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What? Wow. We lost a Legend. RIP.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Terrible loss :/ He made listening to NFL games enjoyable even with John Madden stumbling around.

RIP Pat.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dude :(

Basically the voice of my football childhood.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unfortunate news. And a lot of people knew this day was coming. When I first started listening to older televised broadcasts of NFL games, I didn't like his announcing. I thought he really lacked enthusiasm. The more and more I watched though, I did sense a unique perspective however and appreciated his commentary. He will be missed.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RIP Pat

No one compares to him and Madden.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Legendary voice. Summerall's low key style and soothing voice were the perfect compliment to Madden. When I first started watching the NFL in the mid 80's I loved his intros on CBS. RIP Pat.

Last edited by boknows34 : 04-16-2013 at 07:27 PM.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Donno
Veteran

Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RIP Pat. Like a lot of people here I was raised on Pat Summerall commentating.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RIP Pat. He was the voice of the NFL for me growing up in the 1980s and 1990s. His presence will be greatly missed and never replaced among those in the broadcast booth. That voice, it just sounded like a Sunday afternoon NFL game. Simple. Stated. To the point. That was Pat Summerall.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sadly, I actually had no idea he used to play in the NFL until years later in my youth, but I, like most of y'all, remember him as the calm, collected foil to John Madden. He was one of the best commentators back in the day. Some of these so-called analysts of today could learn a lot from watching some old tapes of his broadcasts.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints Dome Patrol View Post
Sadly, I actually had no idea he used to play in the NFL until years later in my youth, but I, like most of y'all, remember him as the calm, collected foil to John Madden. He was one of the best commentators back in the day. Some of these so-called analysts of today could learn a lot from watching some old tapes of his broadcasts.
He was a very accomplished athlete.

10 year career in the NFL and played for the Giants in the famous 'Greatest Game Ever' - Colts v Giants 1958 NFL Championship Game.

All-state in football and basketball.

Played football, baseball and basketball at Arkansas. He turned down a basketball scholorship from Kentucky and Adolph Rupp as they wouldn't let him play football.

Played minor league baseball for the St Louis Cardinals as a first baseman.

He was also Floridaís 16-and-under tennis champion in 1946.

Pat Knows.

boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sad face.

RIP
Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dang that just sucks. RIP Pat! God bless!
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great voice... one of the best, along with Don Criqui, by favorite NFL voices. Bob Trumpy too.

RIP Pat Summerall.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That sucks, Summerall was awesome. R.I.P.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A very sad day in sports. To honor him I'm going home after work and watching "The Replacements." He and Madden are great in that movie.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:47 PM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Soon as I hear or see the name Pat Summerall, I can just hear his voice in my head. True Legend. RIP.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:06 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Unfortunate news. And a lot of people knew this day was coming. When I first started listening to older televised broadcasts of NFL games, I didn't like his announcing. I thought he really lacked enthusiasm. The more and more I watched though, I did sense a unique perspective however and appreciated his commentary. He will be missed.
Of course you didn't...you have no taste whatsoever and can't appreciate subtlety and don't know a great voice when you hear it. You probably think turds who shout at the top of their lungs, and guys who think they're the story are good play by play guys, like Joe Buck, Bob Costas, and Al Michaels. Arrogant pricks who read their own press clippings.

Summerall never did that. He was from the old school of play-by-play announcing. Every once in a while, he'd mention something Madden missed on a play like a key block, but that was it...he didn't try to do his own color commentary when he was in the play-by-play role.

And they just don't make classical voices like his anymore. Just another sign of what a plastic piece of trash the planet has turned into this century.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No one could introduce / set up a game like he could.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:14 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
A very sad day in sports. To honor him I'm going home after work and watching "The Replacements." He and Madden are great in that movie.
Yes, such a great duo. Good choice. Madden and Summerall is always a treat. It's going to suck when we lose John as well.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 04-17-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
He was a very accomplished athlete.

10 year career in the NFL and played for the Giants in the famous 'Greatest Game Ever' - Colts v Giants 1958 NFL Championship Game.

All-state in football and basketball.

Played football, baseball and basketball at Arkansas. He turned down a basketball scholorship from Kentucky and Adolph Rupp as they wouldn't let him play football.

Played minor league baseball for the St Louis Cardinals as a first baseman.

He was also Floridaís 16-and-under tennis champion in 1946.

Pat Knows.

Damn. Dude was a baller.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He was an icon, and the voice of football for me growing up. RIP Pat. Once a Giant, always a Giant.