Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-17-2013, 06:40 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a cop out answer, but it depends what the end result is. If they extend him, I'd be happy with that. I wasn't really in favor of trading him in the first place, he's a special player.

Of course if they extend him and he isn't the same, then that would suck. As it would if they aren't able to pull of a deal and either a) get a lot less in a future trade or b) worst case scenario, lose him in FA for nothing.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
It's a cop out answer, but it depends what the end result is. If they extend him, I'd be happy with that. I wasn't really in favor of trading him in the first place, he's a special player.

Of course if they extend him and he isn't the same, then that would suck. As it would if they aren't able to pull of a deal and either a) get a lot less in a future trade or b) worst case scenario, lose him in FA for nothing.

Not a cop out answer at all. Your response is exactly why I threw the thought out there. So many ways this can go if Revis stays or goes. Best case, Revis stays, Jets rebuild, Jets build a winner during his time, he retires a HOF, and as one of the greatest Jets ever. But, over the last month or so, we as fans have been enticed about this idea of rich draft picks. Along with the thoughts that the Jets wont pay him, and he could walk away for nothing after next season. This has corrupted my thought that he has to go. Leaning me towards the idea that if this deal doesn't go through, the Jets may have made a big mistake. Also, if this deal falls through, does this change anyone's opinion of Idzik? Being that he has been driving this since his first moment at the podium.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If this speculation about the hang-up being the compensation along with the #13 overall pick, that's just ridiculous and if I'm the Bucs I'd back out just out of principle. We have no leverage at all, take the #13 pick and whatever scraps they'll throw us, it'd be a great deal for us. Absolutely hate how long this is dragging out, especially knowing that the hold-up is on our end. Let's go already, draft is less than a week away, trade him or extend him, but do something FFS
Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
If this speculation about the hang-up being the compensation along with the #13 overall pick, that's just ridiculous and if I'm the Bucs I'd back out just out of principle. We have no leverage at all, take the #13 pick and whatever scraps they'll throw us, it'd be a great deal for us. Absolutely hate how long this is dragging out, especially knowing that the hold-up is on our end. Let's go already, draft is less than a week away, trade him or extend him, but do something FFS
What's the rush? Outside of a made up timeline I see the deadline being at the draft, unless there is something else in play that makes it sooner. The only other artificial date was today (1 week prior to draft), but we will see if that is the case.

It is all a big leverage game. The offer is likely out there. Wait to see if it changes and then pull the trigger. No harm, no foul.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Probably has to be a little before the draft so he can take a physical, particularly coming off the ACL injury. But I agree. They're not going to get upset and pull an offer for a guy they really want just because of a made up deadline. Now whether or not they actually want him or a deal gets done I'm not sure, but there's no harm in waiting and trying to get as much as you can (provided you think you're in the position where you can get more and not the other way around).
Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
2013 schedule (all times ET)

Sept. 8 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1 p.m.
Sept. 12 at New England Patriots, 8:25 p.m.
Sept. 22 Buffalo Bills, 4:25 p.m.
Sept. 29 at Tennessee Titans, 4:05 p.m.
Oct. 7 at Atlanta Falcons, 8:40 p.m.
Oct. 13 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1 p.m.
Oct. 20 New England Patriots, 1 p.m.
Oct. 27 at Cincinnati Bengals, 4:05 p.m.
Nov. 3 New Orleans Saints, 1 p.m.
Nov. 10 BYE
Nov. 17 at Buffalo Bills, 1 p.m.
Nov. 24 at Baltimore Ravens, 1 p.m.
Dec. 1 Miami Dolphins, 1 p.m.
Dec. 8 Oakland Raiders, 1 p.m.
Dec. 15 at Carolina Panthers,4:05 p.m.
Dec. 22 Cleveland Browns, 1 p.m.
Dec. 29 at Miami Dolphins, 1 p.m.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2013/04/18/jets-2013-schedule/2093227/

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:13 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Thoughts on our 2013 schedule? Normally I hate looking at it this early because there are so many roster moves to be made but as of now it seems like our first 12 weeks could be pretty tough with the back end setting us up for a possible playoff run (trying to be optimistic).
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:50 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only bright spot is that Oakland likely has the easier schedule so maybe we can squeeze out the #1 pick
Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The only bright spot is that Oakland likely has the easier schedule so maybe we can squeeze out the #1 pick
I dont think the Jets will be in contention for the 1st pick. I'm not optimistic about the season but I don't think they will be close to that bad.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I dont think the Jets will be in contention for the 1st pick. I'm not optimistic about the season but I don't think they will be close to that bad.
I certainly hope they are, there's no chance of them even making the playoffs, so better get the 1st or 2nd pick for bridgewater or Clowney. Only the raiders or maybe the jags are worse than the jets right now.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:07 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see a 5 -11 record looking at that schedule. Guess that puts us around pick #5 for next years draft.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

The tricky thing about the Jets is they tend to scheme defense relatively well. As bad as the team is on paper right now, it's probably not all that much worse than last year's team (post injuries) heading into the draft. I don't see them in the playoffs so obviously it would be beneficial to be worse, but I could see them being about the same as this past year fairly easily also.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:40 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IF they end up with Revis or end up with two first round picks. Their defense will most likely be improved. The offense may even improve soley because there may be some competent leadership. This team is not a contender, but its not a contender for the worst record in football. At least I dont think. Who knows at this point? So damn early.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
IF they end up with Revis or end up with two first round picks. Their defense will most likely be improved. The offense may even improve soley because there may be some competent leadership. This team is not a contender, but its not a contender for the worst record in football. At least I dont think. Who knows at this point? So damn early.
Stop shattering my Clowney or Bridgewater dream.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Quote:
Stop shattering my Clowney or Bridgewater dream.

Hey, you never know. A lot can happen in a year. Clowney could play half speed, or take half the snaps off hoping to avoid injury. Then the scouts and experts will question his motor and character (Coples). And he could fall to us.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like the Jets will probably get Ivory for a 4th or 5th. Called it last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Two things:

1) The Cardinals have devastating weaknesses.

- Offensive line.
- Pass rush
- No. 2 cornerback
- Quarterback to an extent

2) The Jets should offer a 7th for Chris Ivory............... I think that would be a brilliant move and makes so much sense for both teams.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:04 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Revis flying to Tampa for a physical. Deal expected to be done tonight or tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:08 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

They supposedly want to move down also, which would make sense. Anxious to see what they get. Now I just hope Thursday doesn't involve a quarterback or a cornerback.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:13 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So we're looking at hopefully:

No. 9
No. 13
No. 39
Round 3
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
Round 5 - Ivory
Round 6
Round 7

Need to get:

OLB
FS
TE

So everything else is just gravy.

But here's my thought. It's looking like with all of these picks, a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd WILL be a QB. I'd be surprised if one pick isn't...
Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking.

To me OLB is probably going to be a first round selection. Not sure what they do otherwise. On the other hand, I'm not so sure they do anything on day 2 there if they pass in the first. Start Barnes-Pace, rotate in McIntyre for Barnes on obvious running plays. It's no worse than last year really and I'm not sure who makes sense day 2. Try to develop somebody who's a bit more raw. I'd love them to roll the dice on Quanterus Smith day 3 to develop (even if they go OLB in the first).

Guessing the TE is a trade down in round 2 or a round 3 pickup unless they like Eifert at 13. I still think Kelce is the best combination of talent/fit/value in the draft if they're able to get over his off the field issues. I keep comparing to the Eagles because that's where Mornhinwig was last, I know Reid probably had more say than Marty did but they never seemed to prioritize TE that much.

If they pick up another 3, I think that's where they go safety. Shown interest in Earl Wolff and Josh Evans, neither seems like a lock third round guy but they both kind of fit (Wolff may fit the scheme better, Evans is more of a pure FS but not averse to hitting either). Just seems like where need/value/interest is going to match up. Swearinger also fits but I'm not sure he's there in the third and I don't think they take him at 39. Those threes would be back to back too which is kind of interesting.

I unfortunately think you're right about the QB position. Still think they're going to fly off the board earlier than most expect, which may mean they don't have a chance to take their guy. Wouldn't be shocked if three quarterback go top 8. Frankly I expect at least one to Buffalo and probably another somewhere else.

Two other possibilities with those day 1/2 picks are a) move them for future picks (which seems like a definite Idzik move based on how much he wants to accumulate selections) and b) build depth at positions we don't really think of as needs. Possible day 2 guys they've supposedly shown interest in like Sio Moore and Sylvester Williams wouldn't fill needs but might make sense at positions down the road (Moore moreso than Williams since Harris is basically gone after this season). Those are positions (developmental ILB, rotational DL) I'd much rather see drafted on day 3, but maybe that starts happening on day 2 if they've got enough selections to afford it.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:38 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Shh. Quanterus Smith. Shh. He's a GEM in the third round. I expect Pats.

I forgot about Pace completely...

Josh Evans... just reminded me of how many good S prospects there are... nice.

Where are we on Geno at 9?

I say no*... don't like him. Derza?

*yes to make you all suffer and get rewarded with No. 1 in 2014!!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah I don't know where Quanterus Smith goes, that's going to be an interesting one. Some smart team's going to take him, I just have no idea how early. Nothing in the 2-6 range would surprise me, probably depends a lot on medical, 3-5 seems most reasonable. Pats maybe, the Ravens tend to get guys like that, 49ers, your Seahawks are stacked with pass rushers otherwise I'd throw them in there...I'd say the Steelers but not sure he really fits their typical pass rusher mold. Texans tend to stockpile pass rushers.

Safety is definitely loaded this year. Evans is a really nice fit too. I'll do a happy dance if they get him in the third round.

Geno's tricky. I'm not terribly impressed when I watch him, but some draft guys I respect love him. He's almost certainly better than Sanchez, but this situation in New York right now is terrible. It's the kind of thing I'll understand and talk myself into if they take him, but given I don't love him and I just don't think this is a situation you want to bring a rookie QB into I'd probably prefer if they pass. I still think he goes top four and it ends up being irrelevant, though. I'm more worried about Nassib/Manuel at either first round pick to be honest.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

I dont care what positions the Jets get in this draft as long as they get good players. I don't think the Jets situation is as terrible as people think. If they have one good draft and a few guys take a step forward, who knows. I'm not saying its hugely likely. But the team is not truly bereft of talent. I think people are overestimating how good some of the guys that we let walk are. I'm not super optimistic, but I haven't even been looking into specific guys for the Jets to target. This 1st round could shake out many ways because there are no defined top tier, second tier, etc. They all blur together. I'm just kinda fluid about this thing. I have my heart set on no one and don't really hate many guys.Whatever man.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
I dont care what positions the Jets get in this draft as long as they get good players. I don't think the Jets situation is as terrible as people think. If they have one good draft and a few guys take a step forward, who knows. I'm not saying its hugely likely. But the team is not truly bereft of talent. I think people are overestimating how good some of the guys that we let walk are. I'm not super optimistic, but I haven't even been looking into specific guys for the Jets to target. This 1st round could shake out many ways because there are no defined top tier, second tier, etc. They all blur together. I'm just kinda fluid about this thing. I have my heart set on no one and don't really hate many guys.Whatever man.
I think when we say what positions we want the Jets to take, it's because of the value at those selections. Since it became apparent that the Jets would be picking at about #10 (week 14-15 or so last season), I've said I don't see any way the best player available isn't an edge rusher, and I still feel that way at #9 with either Ansah or Mingo being there. The positions we don't want are ones we feel would be reaches (basically, QB).

We do have some very good young talent, and our cap situation is going to be amazing in 2015, so hopefully there will be some good free agents available that year. We will be clear of Holmes and Sanchez' contracts which will be a huge boon for our team financially and we can land some quality players that year. Combine that with good drafts in 2013, 2014, and 2015, I am very hopeful for the future. Belichick and Brady retiring will also be nice, and the Dolphins and Bills are already mortgaging their future. Really lots to be optimistic about.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think when we say what positions we want the Jets to take, it's because of the value at those selections. Since it became apparent that the Jets would be picking at about #10 (week 14-15 or so last season), I've said I don't see any way the best player available isn't an edge rusher, and I still feel that way at #9 with either Ansah or Mingo being there. The positions we don't want are ones we feel would be reaches (basically, QB).

We do have some very good young talent, and our cap situation is going to be amazing in 2015, so hopefully there will be some good free agents available that year. We will be clear of Holmes and Sanchez' contracts which will be a huge boon for our team financially and we can land some quality players that year. Combine that with good drafts in 2013, 2014, and 2015, I am very hopeful for the future. Belichick and Brady retiring will also be nice, and the Dolphins and Bills are already mortgaging their future. Really lots to be optimistic about.
I could be completley wrong, but I think this year, more than any year Ive followed the draft, there don't seem to be elite players or even obvious picks for the top teams. I just feel like anyone could be available where the jets are picking.