Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-14-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know a ton about everyone, but here's what I do know:

Bryant would likely convert to 3-4 OLB for the Jets. Not sure if he's got ideal fluidity for it but after dropping a little weight (he's arond 265-270 I think) he'd probably be a little better. Physical player, pretty strong, should hold up on the edge. Had around 30 sacks in college. Got in trouble for drugs one year. Some think he's realy physically talented and would have been a high draft pick had he ended up at a bigger school and gotten some more pub. Interesting sleeper.

Carder I know very little about, but he was Jordan White's QB in college so they're obviously familiar with him.

Catapano as you said has risen. Pretty athletic, looks kind of linear, not sure he's a great 3-4 fit. Local guy, very productive in the Ivy League.

We've got knowledgeable Rutgers fans on this site so they can tell you about those guys. If 'Canes checks this he can give you some info.

Pantale is just a pretty average overall TE. Not a bad blocker and has solid hands but he's not a particularly special athlete. Backup/practice squad fodder.

Spadola is an interesting sleeper. Good size at around 6'1-6'2 200 pounds, ran in the 4.4's at the combine. Good hands, super productive playing at a lower level. He could definitely be a small school guy who comes in and surprises, he's got all the traits you look for on paper.

Duke Williams is going to get drafted.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Spadola is an interesting sleeper. Good size at around 6'1-6'2 200 pounds, ran in the 4.4's at the combine. Good hands, super productive playing at a lower level. He could definitely be a small school guy who comes in and surprises, he's got all the traits you look for on paper.
There's a highlight reel of Spadola on YouTube and in one he gets run down after catching a deep ball and I kind of lost interest, considering he's playing in the Patriot League if I don't see absolute dominance in the tape I don't see much of a future there. Was a local visit that didn't count against the 30 total at least =)
Old 04-14-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I see the clip you're talking about...tough to tell how fast the other guy is, sometimes small school guys have wheels. If he plays to that forty time though, he's plenty fast enough. Had a great three cone too, could excel in the slot. They could certainly do worse with a UDFA.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can comment on those Rutgers guys.

I like Brandon Jones a lot. He was over-shadowed by Logan Ryan and rightfully so, but Jones is solid is his own right. He's a solid cover guy and does a pretty good job of locating the ball in the air. (I think he had 5 INT's last year.) He can also contribute on specials. He still needs more development but I think he's an UDFA who will make a team.

Harmon had a solid career at Rutgers. He plays a decent center field but I don't see a whole ton of upside.

DC Jefferson was a QB, of course now a TE. Great size and good measurables but he's extremely raw. I personally don't think he amounts to much.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Read something interesting the other day. Apparently the Jets' scouts preferred Freeman to Sanchez. Not that Freeman's been that great, but I bet they wouldn't have traded up for him and I'd say he's been better than Sanchez. Combined with the idea that Bradway loved Russell Wilson, maybe the Jets' issues have really just been with the GM and not with the scouting department. Been a few other rumors about the Jets over the last couple of weeks.

One is that they're big on Ertz, which I'm not so sure I agree with. Not an outstanding blocker, athlete, or pass catcher from what I've seen. Doesn't use his height all that well. I see somebody who's substantially behind Eifert and doesn't offer much more than guys like Escobar, McDonald, or Kelce who are going to go after him.

Lots of Zac Dysert talk, which I'd be okay with in the right round. Seemed to elevate the level of play of his team. Moves well, comfortable in the pocket, creates when things break down, makes some impressive throws. Can be inconsistent at points, but not a bad developmental guy to take. Lots of tools, think he'd fit the WCO too and could outplay his draft position. Know some who love him.

Nassib is also another popular name, don't like him as much particularly with how high he'd go. Hopefully he lands with another team. On the topic of QB's, Mike Glennon is a name who was popular a while ago but kind of fell off the radar.

Apparently Peter King wrote that Rex would love to draft a corner, and also is a huge fan of Mingo. Would be much, much happier with Mingo than a corner high. Sanders Commings is a mid-round guy who might fit the profile that the Seahawks hit on guys with while Idzik was there. Terry Hawthorne is another interesting one, and the scouting department tends to like Big 10 guys. Also they apparently like Cornelius Washington in round 2 or 3 if they don't go pass rusher in round 1, which I would not be big on. Nice tools and played out of position, but even when in position he played slow from what I saw.

Mid-round safeties they've been linked to are Josh Evans, Earl Wolff, and DJ Swearinger. I like all three.

Last edited by derza222 : 04-15-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know much about Wolff, but I think Evans and Swearinger can start from day 1. Either would be an awesome pick in the mid rounds.

I really don't get the Nassib love. I've seen him more than any of the QB's in the draft, and not once did I think to myself that he would be an NFL starter. His upside seems very limited. I know 'Cuse doesn't have much talent but at the same time, I don't think he makes anybody around him better. I hope Buffalo takes him in the 2nd. I think we may be tempted if he's on the board.

I still love Tyler Wilson. But it seems we've been linked to every QB but him at some point in the draft process.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Same with me on Nassib. Just never saw it.

Wilson is an absolute gamer. The hand size concerns me because the issues related to hand size show up from time to time when you watch him. Still, he's going to go lower than he should. But I honestly would rather wait on any QB before the fourth, maybe the third.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've decided the way I want the Jets draft to go is this:

Trade Revis to TB for #13 pick, 5th round pick, 2014 2nd or 3rd rounder

Trade #9 pick back enough spots to net a 2nd round pick, 16 to STL or 18 to DAL are possibilities.

Pick #13: Kenny Vaccaro, FS, Texas
He is the consensus top safety in the draft and I feel would fit the Jets scheme perfectly at FS.

Pick #16 or 18: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
Consensus #1 TE, our biggest need, and much better than the rest of the TEs in this draft. Hopefully better than the last Notre Dame TE we drafted in the 1st, at least this time we wouldnt be passing on someone like Sapp for him =)

2 2nd rounders:
Matt Barkley, QB, USC
Say what you want about the guy, but I don't think there is any QB who is more accurate, understands the game better, or is smarter than Barkley in this class. GAF about the USC QB thing, he is the best fit our new WCO and is a steal if he falls to the 2nd like many expect him to, gimme.

Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, Sam Montgomery
With the re-signing of Pace and the signing of Barnes, I feel that we're not necessarily drafting an OLB in the 1st or 2nd round anymore, and if the value is there at our 2nd 2nd rounder at WR in Hunter or Woods, why not grab them. Luxury pick IMO

3rd round:
Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Darius Slay, LeVeon Bell, Corey Lemonier, Trevardo Williams
I like the CBs and the high upside athletic edge rushers in the 3rd, as well as Bell.

4th-7th:
Fill depth at o-line, WR, CB, d-line, OLB, RB as necessary.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:09 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Things that I'm not certain I agree with and why:

Vaccaro's a solid player, but safety just isn't a premium position in the NFL. It's a need, but a position where it's not that hard to plug in a mid-round rookie and start. And I don't see anything special when I watch him play. Good all around, but not top 15 good. Maybe in this weak draft. I just think given the team the Jets have they should be going offense early, and if they can't do that I think it has to be a pass rusher because at least that's a premium position. Safety's hard to justify, for me at least because it's a non-premium position on the better side of the ball, easy enough to scheme production at and they're not even taking an elite game changing type player.

Eifert I love. But the Eagles have had success with much less at TE historically, and that's the offense that's coming here. I'm not sure it's enough of a priority position that they'll take it in the first round. But if it ends up being the case, no issue with the pick.

Barkley looks really average to me. I like the fact that he's a four year starter and played in a pro style system, but he also had a couple of great receivers to throw to and struggled with pressure this season. In my eyes if they draft him expecting him to start they'll probably have to take a guy shortly after in the first round. A developmental guy I'd be alright with, but I'm eh on Barkley.

Montgomery is supposedly really lazy lazy and also super straight line-ish on the field. He's going to drop like a stone, and not huge on him at OLB. No interest.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I'm actually working on some rankings now that I'll post on the site when I'm done (hopefully later this week). I'm working on the safeties right now and I have to say Swearinger is the guy I want. (Good call Derza) Not sure if he goes in the 2nd or 3rd but he would be a slam dunk pick for us. He might be the most balanced safety in the class and I think he has the ability to cover TE's in man coverage.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Assuming we get the 13th pick, is it too early to draft Tavon Austin?
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Rob will disagree, but I don't think so. Frankly I'm not sure 9 is too early either. And unless they take somebody they haven't visited with, move down a bunch, or he's not there I think there's a really good chance they take him.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Rob will disagree, but I don't think so. Frankly I'm not sure 9 is too early either. And unless they take somebody they haven't visited with, move down a bunch, or he's not there I think there's a really good chance they take him.

To quote John Elway, "We feel like we can get as good a player at No. 28 as we could at 10." In that sense, taking Austin at 13 is not too early. Also, if that is the opinion of other GM's, it will make trading down very difficult.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

If we get the 13th pick, I would have no problem taking Austin. He would be a better pick than Vaccaro, that's for sure. To take him at 9 with no other 1st round pick would seem more of a luxury pick to me.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-17-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

On a positional need based level, Austin doesn't make a whole lot of sense so it's a luxury pick from that perspective. The Jets have a good slot receiver in Kerley. Austin's a slot receiver. I totally get that.

But from a team need perspective, the Jets need talent at the skill positions and big play ability on offense. Austin brings that about as much as anyone in the draft. He can create big plays that no one on the Jets currently have, and will require the attention of defenses like no one currently does. He's a potential centerpiece who opens up the play of those around him. So from that perspective, he fills a huge need.

Totally depends what angle you're looking at it from, but if you think he opens up the offense I'm not sure it is a luxury pick. Particularly with the Jets looking to have opening day starters at every position besides one guard spot and safety, both of which I wouldn't address at 9.

On a different topic, I'm beginning to worry ever so slightly that the Jets take Manuel at 9. That said, it's such a Bills move to take him that I wonder if he's even on the board and maybe I don't have to worry about it when they're OTC.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

All valid points, Derza. I don't think I'm as high on him as you are, but I certainly understand where you're coming from and you're probably right. I think I'm just so dead set on Mingo at 9, anything else I might be disappointed with. (I need that line of thinking out of my head. The Jets usually disappoint me.) I've been watching a lot of Mingo film and to be honest the more I watch, the more I like. I've come to the conclusion that his low sack numbers is because of the way he was utilized.

Manuel at 9 would be an abomination. That would make me sick.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Hurricanes25 : 04-17-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
All valid points, Derza. I don't think I'm as high on him as you are, but I certainly understand where you're coming from and you're probably right. I think I'm just so dead set on Mingo at 9, anything else I might be disappointed with. (I need that line of thinking out of my head. The Jets usually disappoint me.) I've been watching a lot of Mingo film and to be honest the more I watch, the more I like. I've come to the conclusion that his low sack numbers is because of the way he was utilized.

Manuel at 9 would be an abomination. That would make me sick.
Almost completely agree with this, I'd still like to trade back from 9 if possible to get another 2nd, but if we stay at 9, Mingo is the guy I want.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:12 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

To me, Austin is nowhere near prototypical. But he's exactly what the NFL is moving towards. You can't hit receivers too hard, or it's a 15 yard penalty. No mugging guys past five yards. And it's so tough to cover quick slot guys who can run routes, especially because you don't have the sideline as that extra defender. He's one of the quickest guys I've seen. Can take handoffs, too. Perfect fit for today's offense heavy NFL that's all about creating mismatches. A few years ago I would've been much more concerned, but the league is just moving in a different direction.

Plus for a slot guy, he's got the speed to get deep and the make you miss ability and long speed to turn a short pass into a touchdown. Move him into the backfield, motion him around, he's a guy defenses have to account for. Didn't miss one practice in college, is able to shield himself from big hits, seems like a tough guy and a hard worker by all accounts. Willing to play wherever to help the team and again with that never missing a practice thing, I just think that's super impressive. You want guys who are going to step into your building and work from day one, I think that's exactly what he is. Also makes big plays in big moments (couple fourth downs against Texas were big time), goes over the middle, good receiving skills. Plus three years of good production and two of those were excellent production, got better each year too. Speed kills. Jets could use a playmaker and he certainly is a playmaker, so I really couldn't question it. Not my favorite pick, but it just makes a lot of sense.

Mingo I think is awesome, too. Violent for his size. My biggest concerns with him are ability to put on and maintain weight and his ability to finish plays. Possibly bad luck, but he missed some sacks that he should have had last year. Creates havoc which is nice, but you want a guy who's going to be able to finish once he gets there and I think that's a bit of a concern. Plus if Rex gets fired and they move to a 4-3, where does he play?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone else seen the rumors of Jets taking Geno at #9 and Austin at #13 (if trade goes through)? Now that would be interesting.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:47 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My thoughts on Geno at 9...

Love it!

Because he's their ticket to the No. 1 pick in 2014!
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:23 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I still don't think the Jets will be #1 pick worthy next year almost regardless of how bad the offense is because of the defense.

That said, I don't buy Geno at 9. Maybe it happens, but I'd be surprised. And frankly I don't think he's on the board anyway.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
My thoughts on Geno at 9...

Love it!

Because he's their ticket to the No. 1 pick in 2014!
That doesn't really make much sense. If you think Geno isn't a franchise qb then wasting a #9 on him this year is horrible even if it means #1 next year. Why not get a guy who can contribute down the road if Geno isn't the long-term solution, and still have a shot at #1.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It makes perfect sense. I'm not a Jets fan, I just root for them. I don't care if they suck next year.

Wasting No. 9 for No. 1 next year makes total sense. Getting a decent player at No. 9 but still having no QB and having a mid-first in 2014 does nothing for me.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
It makes perfect sense. I'm not a Jets fan, I just root for them. I don't care if they suck next year.

Wasting No. 9 for No. 1 next year makes total sense. Getting a decent player at No. 9 but still having no QB and having a mid-first in 2014 does nothing for me.
Ummm, k? I guess that could be interpreted as a thought.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:39 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Anybody else think the Jets are going to end up moving down from 39? I imagine Idzik is going to want to move down at some point, and I'd be surprised if anyone wants to move into the top ten/top half of round 1. But early round 2 tends to be a hot spot for moving up. Who knows, but it's something I'd been kicking around.