Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber
Default Favorite Color Commentators of All Time

1. Hank Stram - This guy could literally call plays before they happened. I've seen him do it on more than one occasion. "The 49ers may try a reverse to Rice soon to get the Bucs out of this defense." Sure enough, on the very next play, reverse to Rice. Sure, he may have talked to Bill Walsh before the game about the scripted first 15 plays or something, but it really didn't come across this way.

2. Bill Parcells - Parcells is fascinating no matter what role he's in, and this was no exception. He only did it for one year (1992), but he and Marv Albert were absolute heaven as a tandem.

3. Dick Vermeil - You'll notice a trend here...all the best color guys (to me) are former coaches. Vermeil was one of those guys who did his ******* research before games. He had all kinds of information from the coaching staffs of the teams he was covering.

4. John Madden in the 80s - I make this distinction because Madden in the 80s, which a lot of people don't seem to realize, was a different type of color commentator than he became later on. He was a true coach-analyst in those days, passionately discussing player techniques and various play calling strategies. Analytical-Madden eventually gave way to "BOOM, BAM, CIRCLE THE LAYGS OF THAT TURDUCKEN" Madden, which was OK in bits...but I prefer the younger guy who didn't limit his analysis to "X player is BIG and STRONG" and "Yeaaah annnnnd ya know, great players make great plays because they're great. X is a great player, and he just made a great play."
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could listen to Gus Johnson do commentary on horse jumping and be entertained.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His voice can be annoying but Cris Collinsworth offers great insight.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:59 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Madden gets **** all the time but he's the standard we judge off from my generation.

I think Mayock is the only guy out there currently that I think is considerably better than average. Dan Dierdrof is undoubtedly the worst.

Last edited by yo123 : 04-19-2013 at 11:03 PM.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
His voice can be annoying but Cris Collinsworth offers great insight.
The one thing you can appreciate about Collinsworth is that he will always speak the truth on a player/play/situation. He doesn't worry about hurting anyones feelings so if someone makes a bonehead play, he calls them out on it no matter who it is.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:02 AM    (permalink
flave1969
Rookie

flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Used to listen to Jack Ham on AFN radio during the 80's over here in the UK. He was really good.

Good shout on Hank Stram he did MNF on the Radio with Jack Buck, listened to him do many Redskin MNF games at 1am.
flave1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:47 AM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
I could listen to Gus Johnson do commentary on horse jumping and be entertained.
I can not stand Gus Johnson. He's my least favorite. A 2 yard run does not require screaming.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, Gus Johnson is play-by-play not color commentator so..
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 AM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You are correct. See how frustrated thinking about Gus Johnson makes me! I just see red!
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
I can not stand Gus Johnson. He's my least favorite. A 2 yard run does not require screaming.
Agreed. I can't stand the guy.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:36 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Emmitt Smith

9001. Everyone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure if he does NFL or just college, but I really like Dan Fouts.

My least favorite of all time is Joe Theisman. "When I played..." Hey, Joe, you really weren't that good. He was especially annoying with Al McGuire, who loved to interrupt and point out that the guard's block was what made the play happen, not the QB's throw.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:37 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Loved the voices of Don Criqui & Bob Trumpy.
Charlie Jones & Merlin Olsen too.
Probably only a few others besides me remember them.
The old Monday Night Football crew was all-time epic though.
You guys should youtube some of that old stuff with Cosell, Gifford, and Dandy Don.

Agreed that Joe Theismann was the worst ever.
What a pompous aszhole.