Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love how there are so many realistic scenarios we may see for the Falcons. Everyone seems to think they'll trade up, but what if they choose to stay at 30 or trade back. I could see Thomas choosing to go against people's expectations. I bet they'd be quite comfortable staying at 30. There's bound to be a talented CB or DE they can take.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:06 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only problem I have with trading up(granted hes wanting to go inside the top 15) is it doesnt seem there is an elite player worth it for our needs.

A DE. Ok, so the high profile guys like Dion Jordan and Ziggy Ansah. Neither whom I's feel comfortable drafting especially after a move like that. Dion and Ziggy just have such huge bust potential. This was not the case with Julio at all. He just had all the measureables, the work ethic, personality to be a guy that would succeed.

Personally I dont see any of the DE's this year to just scream elite and "piece we've been missing and hole filled for years to come." I see a move to maybe early 20's for a guy like Bjorn Werner and thatd be as extreme as I would go for a DE. I also like the chance that Tank Carradine could fall to 30.

If we want to make a move for a CB, he has to have 1 of the big 3 just pegged so much higher than the others, Milliner is far and away the #1 and there are too many team in the top 9 that will want him. To secure him we would have to move up to 3rd...thats Ricky Williams esque in terms of what would happen with our drafting and to me thats not worth it.

Next we have Rhodes and Trufant. The 2A and 2B, I feel these are the guys he will be watching, as soon as one of them are gone will determine if we have to deal. Many people have Rhodes going as early as 10 to the Titans with most going at 12 to Miami. So then, we have to hope Trufant was the guy TD wanted all along and we'd have to move in front of Tampa b/c they are a very likely team to pick up a CB, they pick 13th so it will be interesting.

I just dont like our chances in terms of adding that perfect player and being satisfied with what we have left. We have 2 glaring holes at CB and DE. Even with those we still have other voids that could be upgraded. The LB core, OL, and DL.

I trust TD for sure but still just not sure what route they are thinking of.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well at first glance, I'm loving our schedule.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

we also have 5 nationally televised games this year. 2 on Monday night(Jets and 49ers) 2 Sunday night (Pats and Packers) 1 on Thursday (Saints)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Finished up the Forum Mock tonight for us (other than the 1st round 2014 pick)

30-Jamar Taylor-CB-Boise State
60-Alex Okafor-DE-Texas
92-Brandon Jenkins-DE-FSU
127-Jelani Jenkins-OLB-Florida
133-Tharold Simon-DB-LSU
163-Ontario McCalebb-RS/WR/RB-Auburn
198-Devin Taylor-DE-South Carolina
236-Braden Brown-OT-BYU
243-Damion Square-DT-Alabama
244-Conner Vernon-WR-Duke
249-Travis Bond-OG-North Carolina

Offernse: 4 Defense: 7
Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt we make a move to grab a top five guy. Maybe. It is easier to trade up this year probably because of the lack of elite talent.

I think Jordan would be a big weapon for us as a LB/DE and I think Ansah would be worth it as well. I would not make the move for a corner. Hayden is being lumped into that top group of corners as well. I just feel that CB is a position we can address in round one or two rather than losing other picks to trade up and get one. We can't not take a DL early in this draft.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Falcons don't need to draft 11 rookies. I don't know the best way for the Falcons to trade up, but they should do it at some point in the Draft.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
The Falcons don't need to draft 11 rookies. I don't know the best way for the Falcons to trade up, but they should do it at some point in the Draft.
Four of the eleven picks can not be traded. We have a normal amount of draft picks outside of compensatory picks, three of which are in the seventh round.

I'm okay for trading up. However, I do not want to give up much. This team has needs.

I read this quote in the AJC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc
They’ve got their guys identified – FSU cornerback Xavier Rhodes, Washington cornerback Desmond Trufant, Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree or Stanford tight end Zach Ertz – and they’re going to try to move up to get them.
I wonder if those are really our targets. Not one defensive end. And I don't want Ogletree or Ertz. This would also seem to imply that we plan on trading up some but not to the top of the draft.

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 04-19-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really dont want Ogletree or ertz. I hope if we do trade up, its for a CB. I guess if the FO doest go DE early then we'll see Osi and Biermann start with matthews and massaqui backing up.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Four of the eleven picks can not be traded. We have a normal amount of draft picks outside of compensatory picks, three of which are in the seventh round.

I'm okay for trading up. However, I do not want to give up much. This team has needs.

I read this quote in the AJC:

I wonder if those are really our targets. Not one defensive end. And I don't want Ogletree or Ertz. This would also seem to imply that we plan on trading up some but not to the top of the draft.
Rhodes and Trufant Id be ok with, I like them both. They both will be gone by 30 so that makes sense.

My thinking though, Like you said, we cant afford to get a DE later, there just isnt a capable starter right away IMO, and waiting till 60 I dont think were gonna land a pass rusher that is going to make the difference of defense. As far a CB goes, at 60 I think we will have several solid options:

Slay, Alford, Taylor, Amerson.

Most def do not want to take a LB or a TE in the first at all, Id be pretty pissed, especially Ertz.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
I really dont want Ogletree or ertz. I hope if we do trade up, its for a CB. I guess if the FO doest go DE early then we'll see Osi and Biermann start with matthews and massaqui backing up.
If that is our DE rotation we are ******.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:08 PM    (permalink
TheFalconsFan
Rookie

TheFalconsFan could make a wolverine purr.TheFalconsFan could make a wolverine purr.TheFalconsFan could make a wolverine purr.TheFalconsFan could make a wolverine purr.TheFalconsFan could make a wolverine purr.TheFalconsFan could make a wolverine purr.TheFalconsFan could make a wolverine purr.TheFalconsFan could make a wolverine purr.TheFalconsFan could make a wolverine purr.

TheFalconsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

The more I think about it and look at mocks, the less I want the Falcons to trade up. They're clearly going defense in the first round, and I don't see any prospects that jump out to me as worth trading up for. Especially an expensive trade up, such as packaging pick 30 and 60 to move up. It seems like they'll be fine just staying at 30 and taking a CB or DE.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:49 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

I don't really want to give up our top two picks but if TD does it then I have faith. Rhodes could be a big difference maker on this team. And although I don't like Ogletree particularly, if we think he can be a LB the caliber of Spoon then I am for it.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I don't really want to give up our top two picks but if TD does it then I have faith. Rhodes could be a big difference maker on this team. And although I don't like Ogletree particularly, if we think he can be a LB the caliber of Spoon then I am for it.
Ya giving up 30 and 60 to move up bothers me, but if ifs for a guy TD feels will be a solid starter then why not. Does anyone now even remember the picks we gave up to get Julio? And if we had stayed where we were who we would have landed? No, we dont. Julio situation has worked out great so it just backs TDs choice this go around.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:17 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

One thing we really need to address this offseason is the return game. We were almost last in every category in that department last year and I feel it would be a huge piece to add going forward with a late round pick (Sanders, McCalebb)
Old 04-21-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To add a capable returner with the offense we have, we should put up a a lot more points on the board. Losing Weems really hurt us last year and we didn't plan well.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-21-2013, 02:56 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
To add a capable returner with the offense we have, we should put up a a lot more points on the board. Losing Weems really hurt us last year and we didn't plan well.
I agree, I still dont know why we never gave HD a shot at full time returner, in his rookie year he did great there.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I don't think HD is a returner anyway. He had one good return his rookie year, I believe against the Panthers. He really doesn't have the breakaway speed he needs to get to the corner and bust a good one.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-21-2013, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Btw guys the Bucs are getting Revis. Thats interesting.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Btw guys the Bucs are getting Revis. Thats interesting.
This helps us IMO. Gives us a chance to land one of the CBs.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
This helps us IMO. Gives us a chance to land one of the CBs.
It would help us minimally, but don't the Jets need a CB now?

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-21-2013, 09:25 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Word around town is we're trading up for a corner. Assuming we didn't give up too much I'd be happy.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It would help us minimally, but don't the Jets need a CB now?
damn you and your logic. But yes, Im sure they nab one of them with #13 unless luckily Milliner drop to #9, but I dont see that happening, he not getting past 6.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

If we do trade up for a corner I want Rhodes. To me he just does everything well and I love how physical he is and his length.