Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Menelik Watson vs Terron Armstead

Two raw intriguing, very similiar Tackle prospects who both have ability to protect the blindside but still need to develop. Both are very athletic with high upside. Who ya got and why?

I think it'll be interesting to see where both guys go, and if the run on tackles goes as expected then one of these guys going late in the 1st wouldn't surprise me one bit. Keep an eye on Baltimore, as both guys would make sense whether they bring back McKinnie or not and maybe Green Bay. They have so much in common, I'm struggling with who I prefer, but Armstead running a 4.6 40 and playing great in the East/West shrine game probably sold me. It's hard to project a guy coming from Arkansas Pine Bluff but his measurables fit that of an elite LT if you can coach him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 04-19-2013 at 10:43 AM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For me this one is easy it's Watson. Much more impressive physically and even though both are incredibly raw, at least we know Watson has done work at the D1 level against much greater competition. Another factor working in his favor is that he was able to face off against potential NFL star defensive ends Bjoern Werner, Tank Carradine and Brandon Jenkins on a daily basis. Not to mention potential 2014 top 15 pick, DT Timmy Jernigan.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Both are excellent talents who project down the road to be perhaps being special.

Menelik Watson:
He is probably the most physically gifted lineman in this year's draft. He's a massive, nimble blocker who has upside to eventually play LT.
He's an ex British basketball player and he is very raw and never dominated at the college level. He needs serious work on technique and really struggles against stunts.
He has a bust factor due to his rawness but he could also be special in 2 years if his instincts continue to grow.

Terron Armstead:
He has LT written all over him, he has the length and mirrors very well in pass protection.Once he locks on, he rarely loses and he is very good in space and can really get out on the move and block.
However, he has a poor anchor and really needs work on his strength, he struggles badly with power and according to scouts, his frame is maxed out.
He will probably have to play OG for a couple of seasons before he is ready to move to LT.

I think it is a coin toss as far as who reaches their ceiling first, my guess is that Watson gets picked slightly higher than Armstead but you never know.
GM's will likely give the edge to Watson because of his massive strength while still having the good feet of a LT vs Armstead who has excellent feet but not the power of Watson.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:10 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can someone please tell me what has made Watson's stock shore up to the first round? Why in the world is he over someone like Kyle Long, who is being pushed to the inside for no reason?

I would take Long over both
Old 04-19-2013, 11:18 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
For me this one is easy it's Watson. Much more impressive physically and even though both are incredibly raw, at least we know Watson has done work at the D1 level against much greater competition. Another factor working in his favor is that he was able to face off against potential NFL star defensive ends Bjoern Werner, Tank Carradine and Brandon Jenkins on a daily basis. Not to mention potential 2014 top 15 pick, DT Timmy Jernigan.
What do you base this off of? And if we were to give the title to anyone, I would say Lane Johnson is the most physically gifted lineman in the class but I don't think either of these guys are that far off but I ask because I can't find any seperation to that magnitude in sheer athleticism or phsyically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Armstead is so much better physically, needs some real coaching and time to develop but he is my #4 LT by far

if AZ goes OLB in the 1st, I see his floor being their 2nd

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Armstead is so much better physically, needs some real coaching and time to develop but he is my #4 LT by far

if AZ goes OLB in the 1st, I see his floor being their 2nd
Yeah, they aren't really that comparable as athletes.

Terron Armstead
40 time: 4.71
Vertical jump: 34.5
Broad jump: 112.0
3 cone drill: 7.62
20yd shuttle: 4.72

Menelik Watson
40 time: 5.29
Vertical jump: 24.5
Broad jump: 103.0
3 cone drill: 8.31
20yd shuttle: 5.01

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They are both very good athletes with Armstead on the fantastic side.
Watson comes from a very tough neighbourhood, he has an explosive 1st step with a powerful punch and the foot quickness to play LT. He is mobile enough to reach the second level and the range to be effective there.
He is flexible and bends well and most important, he has the frame to carry 330lbs. without losing any of his explosion.

There is no doubt that Armstead is a fantastic athlete and can really move well on a football field and reach the second level and sustains his blocks pretty well. However, he can be bull rushed back into the passer and needs to work on his lower body strength. I've read that his body is maxed out so what you see is what you are going to get as far as size is concerned.
You also have to take into account the level of competition he played against which will likely drop him him below Watson and Long.

However, Watson, Long and Armstead are all raw as can be and need a lot of work on technique to reach their sizable potential.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Long over the other two as well. I think he has the makings of an all-pro at whatever position he falls into.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:35 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really love either of them, but in the right system they can definitely both be starting LTs in the NFL.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Quesenberry kid over either of those guys :)
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:10 AM    (permalink
energizerbunny
Veteran

energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too tell you the truth, I don't see Armstead turning out for the team that drafts him. He has a couple years to go before i'd be comfortable in starting him, has a number of things he really needs to work on before he is a starting LT.

For some reason, some team will likely try to plug and play him, he will be brutal and all of a sudden he'll be labelled a "bust".
energizerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Armstead significantly more raw than Johnson?
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:39 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll tell you this about Watson.

Coming into 2012 season, we had a ton of questions on the o-line. We had lost a lot of veterans the past 2 seasons to the draft, and didn't bring in a lot of quality o-line on signing day. He arrived at FSU, they plugged him into RT and never looked back. He is still raw obviously, but there was a large part of the season where we didn't hear his name once and thats great for o-line when your name isn't getting mentioned.

I'll also tell you the FSU staff was really taken back when he declared because 1.) They thought he would come back for sure with him new to football and still learning at a high level and 2) They realized how much of a hole he presented to fill for next season.

Menelik has a long way to go, but he can play and his frame is perfect for his raw abilities to keep growing into a Pro Bowl OT.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Armstead is the more advanced player between the two. He turned heads at the Shrine Game and again at the Senior Bowl. If you perform good enough at one to be invited to the other and the continue to perform then you're doing something right.

I think Armstead is the better athlete, has the better hand movement, plays nastier, and has what you're looking for in a future LT. Watson I see as a massive project that needs to put in a lot of time and effort to truly be a premier LT at the next level.

If I were drafting right now I'd select Armstead as a plug and play player. Watson I would take as a swing tackle who might be ready to start in a year or two.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I think Armstead is the more advanced player between the two. He turned heads at the Shrine Game and again at the Senior Bowl. If you perform good enough at one to be invited to the other and the continue to perform then you're doing something right.

I think Armstead is the better athlete, has the better hand movement, plays nastier, and has what you're looking for in a future LT. Watson I see as a massive project that needs to put in a lot of time and effort to truly be a premier LT at the next level.

If I were drafting right now I'd select Armstead as a plug and play player. Watson I would take as a swing tackle who might be ready to start in a year or two.
Don't know about that. Armstead needs A LOT of work in his pass sets. He opens up way to quickly and is gonna get killed around the edge despite being so athletic. That's something he's going to have to re-work before teams feel comfortable putting him out there. He was ok in the Senior Bowl game but let's not pretend he was standout.

Both him and Menelik need a lot of work and unless you're absolutely desperate, hopefully neither guys are week one starters at tackle.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watson really isn't the sort of athlete I look for at Left Tackle, so I wouldn't look at him in the first round at all (bad shuttle, cone times are worrisome, and correlate my concerns about his feet from watching his tape.)

Armstead is a much better talent, but the level of competition makes it so I would hesitate to spend a first on him.

If I'm trading back high into the second and taking an OT, and both are there, I take Armstead. Can't see any way Green Bay takes either though. They'd be better off hoping Sherrod's leg heals than taking the hail mary with either of those two.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage : 04-21-2013 at 08:25 PM.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote