Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes Asomugha as well. I still wonder if he'll make it through training camp though.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:29 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Might be changing my mind about the 49ers and their corner situation. I think we have a good group going right now with Cox, Brown, Rogers, Culliver, and Brock. However, with teams loving to spread everyone out constantly, it might not be a bad idea to invest in a top corner early on. Rogers is 32 I think, and I have a feeling he won't be around much longer.
Of the 6 CB's, 4 of them are FA's next year (Brock, Cox, Aso, Brown). Plus it seemed like they got bullied with any big WR they faced in the later part of the year.

I don't think its our biggest need but i wouldn't mind investing an early pick into 1, for both now and the future.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:32 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
From reading different boards (including this one) and twitter we've been linked to the following FA's

-Louis Delmas
-Wes Welker
-Sean Smith
-Lawrence Tynes
-Josh Cribbs
-Desmond Bryant
-John Abraham
-Ed Reed
-Darrelle Revis (trade)

Plus we were linked to Percy Harvin and were supposedly in 2nd place for him, but who knows how reliable the source is (Pro Football Central, never heard of them until a month ago)

It just seems like a lot of FA's for a team that usually signs 2nd tier guys. I can't think of a top tier FA we've signed in the last 2 offseasons under Baalke. And now we're linked to Smith, Revis, Welker, etc. We don't have the cash and it goes against our philosophy. Not to mention we have 14 picks with 5 in the top 95, it makes sense to fill our needs with cheap talented rookies instead of a bunch of expensive veterans.
BTW i'm quoting this as the draft gets closer and rumors start to fly. Especially with the recent "we're going to trade up to 13 or 14" rumor. Before FA started we were linked to all of these guys. We didn't sign a single one of these players. Very few people have a handle on what Baalke is going to do, both in FA and the draft. Just a reminder so people don't get freaked out over the rumors that are bound to pop up until the draft ends.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:39 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Of the 6 CB's, 4 of them are FA's next year (Brock, Cox, Aso, Brown). Plus it seemed like they got bullied with any big WR they faced in the later part of the year.

I don't think its our biggest need but i wouldn't mind investing an early pick into 1, for both now and the future.
Carlos Rodgers is a longshot to be on the team as well so we could be looking at a complete CB overhaul next year with the exception of loudmouth Culliver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really think the Jets are looking at Hayden at #13, if they keep that pick. I think he's worth it too. I see a lot of Revis in him. I really don't think he or Tank are going to make it anywhere close to 31. I think both are going to go a lot early than ppl expect. Wouldn't be surprised if both went in the top 15 picks.

I'm not really worried about CB. Baalke seems to always find talent there, whether through free agency or the draft. I'm sure he has a plan in place to address the position for 2013 and beyond. And like I've stated before, I think ppl have the image of the NFCCG game stuck in their head. Our secondary is better than the effort and execution they put forth on that day.

And my sleeper pick at CB.....Jeremy Harris. I could see him going undrafted because of his lack of strength but a interesting talent, non the less.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

last mock draft and update picks after the cm trade - i'll have the rest later on in the day

1) #31- Round 1 - matt elam - S
2) #34- Round 2 jamar taylor - cb
3) #61- Round 2 slyvester williams - dt
4) #74- Round 3 jordan reed- te
5) #93- Round 3 marcus hunt - dt/de
6) #128- Round 4 leveon bell - rb
7) #131- Round 4 aaron dobson - wr
8) #157- Round 5 (From Colts) brian schwenke - c
9) #175- Round 6 (From Cleveland) nico johnson - ilb
10) #180- Round 6 (From Dolphins) terry hawthorne - cb
11) #227- Round 7 nathan stanley - qb
12) #246- Round 7 (Comp) kyle juzckyc - fb/h-back
13) #252- Round 7 (Comp) luke marquardt - ot

Last edited by chapo123 : 04-24-2013 at 08:36 AM.
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Couple CBs that I think will be far better pros than their currently perceived draft stock...

Sanders Commings - Georgia
Terry Hawthorne - Illinois
Dwayne Gratz - Connecticut
Brandon McGee - Miami
Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
And my sleeper pick at CB.....Jeremy Harris. I could see him going undrafted because of his lack of strength but a interesting talent, non the less.
I remember how people reacted to how "skinny" AJ Jenkins looked. Harris is one of the skinnier football players I've seen.

I'd like to think he could hold up and/or bulk up but I'm not sure.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Couple CBs that I think will be far better pros than their currently perceived draft stock...

Sanders Commings - Georgia
Terry Hawthorne - Illinois
Dwayne Gratz - Connecticut
Brandon McGee - Miami

Not big on Hawthrone. He has some physical skills but he's like Elam, nothing about him excites me. McGee's speed is intriguing. Defintely agree on Cummings. Inconsistent as hell but if he could get his mind right, he could be a gem. I like Gratz also. He's like Cully...as big as a safety but with CB movement. I would add safties Earl Wolf and Josh Boyd to your list also.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 04-23-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:04 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Yes Asomugha as well. I still wonder if he'll make it through training camp though.
To be honest, I think that Asomugha will be for us in 2013 what Rogers was for us in 2011. I truly believe that Rogers could very well be a final cut or traded for a late round draft pick.

Quote:

Hope the team re-signs Cox and Brock. Asomugha depends on how he plays in 2013 and if he plays like Rogers did for us in 2011 and yes, I do think that he will, Baalke will re-sign him next off-season but he'll give a far lesser deal than what he gave Rogers as im sure he's regretting that right now. Brown is 50/50. I like him but he'll be 29 next January and I wouldnt give a huge long term contract to him. All depends on what happens with the Draft as well.

Quote:
BTW i'm quoting this as the draft gets closer and rumors start to fly. Especially with the recent "we're going to trade up to 13 or 14" rumor. Before FA started we were linked to all of these guys. We didn't sign a single one of these players. Very few people have a handle on what Baalke is going to do, both in FA and the draft. Just a reminder so people don't get freaked out over the rumors that are bound to pop up until the draft ends.
I'm not freaking out. I still think that Baalke will draft a player that none of us expected or talked about or anything. I dont remember any of us talking about Jenkins or Aldon the last two years so thats what im guessing will happen.

I dont see us trading up into the teens. Early 20's at most if that. And I love seeing mock drafts with us trading up to 13 or so and then trading back into the first round in the 20's. Its funny as hell because there's no way thats going to happen.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:45 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watch just watch Jim drafts a TE first round ...
Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Watch just watch Jim drafts a TE first round ...
No jinxing please///

Quote:
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am really at a loss with who they are going to draft. I can talk myself out of every pick I think they'd make. I wanna see a 5 tech, but part of me thinks that's the reason Dorsey was brought in was to be Justin's long term replacement, since he has never played in a system that fits his skills until now he still has a TON of upside.

Then I say safety and talk myself out of it, because if the Niners are going to continue to run cover 2 man 85-90% of the time you don't need an impact player to run that system you just need someone who is going to do their job and not let anyone behind them.

Luckily we won't have to wait longer!
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:42 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Menardo75 ,
It's so hard to think now of who we are gonna draft at this point. It could go either way. I just hope it's defense in the back field CB or S. We haven't drafted there in a few drafts so I'm hoping there first two rounds and maybe offense end of round 2. Just hard to say. But we got two more long days. Thursday will suck with all the live coverage.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:39 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dorsey as Justin's long term replacement? Didnt think of that but he was only signed to a two year deal and with a lot of other UFA's in the next two years, if Dorsey breaks out, he'll be too expensive to keep. I see Dorsey as the replacement for Jean Francois and starter at NT when we run our 3-4 base defense.

While every rumor has us trading up once or twice, how would you guys feel if we traded down out of round one?

If at 31, four of the players we're targeting are still available, I would definitely try to trade down to get a 2nd and 3rd round pick. If that happens, I would then go all out in the second round to get four or five players even if that means sacrificing all three third round draft picks, our fourth and fifth round draft picks because instead of trading up in the first round where doing so would cost more, doing so in the second round would cost less and be easier to manage making those kind of moves.

There's several players im hoping would still be available in the second round -

DE Datone Jones
C Barrett Jones
TE Zach Ertz
WR Justin Hunter
CB D.J. Hayden
FS D.J. Swearinger

and that doesnt include others who'll most likely go in the first round but at the same time, you just never know.

In short, I would try to make the second round the 49ers round which if played right and if the players are still there at 31 and thus most likely still be there to start the second round, we could come away with four to five quality players in one round without giving up nearly as much as we would have to if we traded up in the first round and especially if we did that twice.

For the first round, the only player I would trade up for would be CB Dee Milliner and only if he was to slide past 15 which is highly unlikely. A minor trade up into the early-mid 20's wouldnt be bad depending on the player we're moving up to draft.

Trading up for a safety (including Vaccaro) is something im 100% against because while Vaccaro is the best safety in the draft, its not by much and he's not worth trading up from 31 into the teens or higher.

And yeah, this brainstorm is a fantasy idea and if the Browns had their second rounder, one that could have been possible if Geno Smith was to fall to 31 because if he's available at 33, the Jaguars would be guaranteed to take him so the Browns would have to jump in front of them but they would have to trade with us because I dont think that the Ravens would trade with a division rival who would be moving up to get a player who could make an impact and put a positive focus on the team. Shame that the Browns dont have their second rounder. Aside from them, maybe the Jaguars if they think a team would trade with the Ravens to get who they (Jaguars) want. Also, the Bills could be a possibility but also unlikely.

No matter what happens, it should be interesting to say the least and im just hoping that all the moving up rumors doesnt become reality.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Yeah we aren't anywhere closer to having an idea of who our picks are gonna be than we were a month ago...lol

I'd still like to see our 1st 3 picks to be DE, CB, S in some order. WR and TE are wild cards along with NT and C I guess...

I think the CBs will be very interesting to watch. If Millner starts slipping then a lot of things could change board wise. Also a slight possibility we trade up for Millner....not sure how I would feel about that..

Quote:
Old 04-24-2013, 01:52 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Dan,

That list of 2nd rounders made my mouth salivate, love those guys. Well I don't LOVE Ertz and Barrett Jones but I'd take them. I'd add Amerson ( as a FS) to that 2nd round list as well.

Quote:

Last edited by Shupp : 04-24-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:50 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
Yeah we aren't anywhere closer to having an idea of who our picks are gonna be than we were a month ago...lol

I'd still like to see our 1st 3 picks to be DE, CB, S in some order. WR and TE are wild cards along with NT and C I guess...

I think the CBs will be very interesting to watch. If Millner starts slipping then a lot of things could change board wise. Also a slight possibility we trade up for Millner....not sure how I would feel about that..
Agree in regards to our first three picks. I have DE/CB interchangeable at 31/34 with FS at 61. Wouldnt draft a WR until 3/93 or later if at all. TE would depend on who's still available at 34/61. Have no interest in drafting a NT before the 4th round as I honestly just dont see the point in doing so since the NT in our 3-4 only plays 35% of the time. C would be at 61 at the earliest and if Barrett Jones is still there and players wanted at DE/CB/FS are gone already.

In regards to Milliner, I would be shocked if he gets past the Browns. If he slips, the chances of us trading up increase with every team that passes him. Personally, if he was to make it to 20, I would DEFINITELY trade up to get him and it wouldnt cost us much at all. #31, #74 and #157 would get it done as the points would only favor us by 1.4 which isnt a big enough deal for CHI to say no. In that scenario, I would definitely trade up because we would still have #34, #61 and #93 to draft a 3-4 DE and a FS. People are reporting about Milliner's surgeries yet he's only missed one game and Saban said that he could have played if they needed him. Either way, he's a tough sob and could be a true shutdown corner for us. Just a few days ago, I would have said that there's a ZERO percent chance of Milliner slipping past the Browns but now, there's actually a chance and a good chance of him slipping. Mayock putting Hayden as his number one CB and the reports of Milliner's surgeries could in the end be the best thing to happen to the 49ers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
Dan,

That list of 2nd rounders made my mouth salivate, love those guys. Well I don't LOVE Ertz and Barrett Jones but I'd take them. I'd add Amerson ( as a FS) to that 2nd round list as well.
Quite honestly, my dream draft was to trade out of the first round, acquire an extra second and third round draft picks which would give us six draft picks in round two and three but I would use the three third rounders to move up in the second or to trade into the second round giving us four picks in round two.

My dream draft was trading with the Browns but they dont have a second rounder so my dream draft went out the window but if it was a reality, the picks would have been CB D.J. Hayden at 34, DE Datone Jones at 39, FS D.J. Swearinger at 43 (trade #74 and #68 from CLE) and C Barrett Jones at 48 (trade #61 and #93). Obviously, we wouldnt have any third round draft picks but this scenario would have been a billion times better than the crap I keep seeing with us trading up into the top ten or trading up and trading back into the first round. UGH.

Those four players would give us a 2014 starting CB, a replacement for Justin Smith at DE, a starting FS who honestly looks like a Goldson clone and seeing videos of Swearinger, there's times where he looks like he has a bad angle yet still makes the tackle/stop and our franchise C to match up with Kaepernick for years to come.

That would also allow us to release Goodwin, free up cap room and possibly sign Woodson at a cheap rate as insurance of if the team doesnt want to rush Swearinger. Either way, getting those four players would make me happy as hell and at the very least, an A-. Add in CB Tyrann Mathieu if he's available at #131 and yeah, its an excellent draft.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I am really at a loss with who they are going to draft. I can talk myself out of every pick I think they'd make. I wanna see a 5 tech, but part of me thinks that's the reason Dorsey was brought in was to be Justin's long term replacement, since he has never played in a system that fits his skills until now he still has a TON of upside.
I can't see Dorsey as Cowboy's heir apparent. As a 5-Tech he doesn't compare to Cowboy. Not even close really. I think Dorsey was brought in because of his versatility, not becaause they see him as some great talent. Dorsey's addition is all about getting more bang for your buck at NT. A NT who isn't just a base down player but a guy who can kick inside in the nickel and provide Cowboy and Ray Mac some help. He brings something different than Ian Williams. If he was the heir apparent, I think he would have garnered more than a 2 year deal. A rotational player in the nickel is where he's value lies. Sure he can fill in at DE in our base but he will never give you what Cowboy give you in that role. We're defintely going to draft Cowboy's heir apparent in this draft. What round it is, remains to be seen.

I still don't believe a 3-4 fits his style, so it remains to be seen if he'll be anything more than a stop-gap in our system. Luckily, we run a hybrid or 'mutiple' 3-4 that incoperates a lot of 4-3 fronts and alignmnets. That's what really suits him. His best position professionally is still a 3-Tech in a even front. That's why I feel his impact will be felt more in the nickel, than in the base defense.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

The crew at Moring Tailgate website from 49ers.com have done a couple mocks for us . Not sure if I enjoy any of those mocks. Thoughts?

http://blog.49ers.com/2013/04/24/mor...round-roundup/

Last edited by 49erNation85 : 04-24-2013 at 01:07 PM.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM    (permalink
ndbigdave
Rookie

ndbigdave hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
The crew at Moring Tailgate website from 49ers.com have done a couple mocks for us . Not sure if I enjoy any of those mocks. Thoughts?

I am not too pumped with those mocks.

As has been mentioned/discussed many times (and quite eloquently I may add), the NT position for our team has limited value. To think we would use #31 or #34 on the position boggles the mind.

I acknowledge our need of a safety, but after Vaccaro (who I am not willing to trade up for unless it is a few picks up) then there is a core group of guys who I like, but who I would not take with one of our first two picks.

So where does that leave us with BPA and need? I suppose if there is someone who can be Justin's replacement (Tank, Hunt, Jones?), which then has us looking at another spot with #34 - TE is possible, but again, I think value (positional value and value on our roster) is likely somewhere else...

Frankly, I would fist pump if we moved back from #31, and wouldnt even be mad if we traded back from #34 as well to load up on other 2nd round picks and 3rd round picks where the value seems better. We can then zone in on the guys we like best in rounds 2, 3 and 4 by moving up when necessary and adding picks for the future.
ndbigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:

Hate Schrager's mock draft. The best overall pick to me is C Barrett Jones (3/93). Not into taking a safety at all at 31 unless its Vaccaro. I would assume that Hankins would be our future DE to replace Justin but if not, these guys are morons. A WR at 61 and 131 plus a RB at 128. Seriously??? Give me a break. After Jones, I like the Slay pick for where he is but overall, a D- in my opinion as its horrible.

Actually like Norris' mock draft better. I would assume that Jesse Williams at 31 would be the future replacement for Justin Smith. I can live with that if thats the case but if these DT's are being drafted to play NT, im sorry, its a waste of the pick because the NT isnt as valuable as the rest of our front seven. Love the Swearinger and Ertz picks. Ertz at 61 would be a steal. Love the Mathieu pick at 93 but absolutely HATE the pick at 74. QB Matt Scott??? Are you ******* kidding me? Fourth round isnt bad position wise. Barrett Jones in the 5th round? I dont see him dropping past the second but whatever, better for us. 6th and 7th rounders dont really care about or have interest in as im expecting those picks to be traded here and there to move up a few spots here and there. And CB at 180??? CB should be flipped with Scott at 74. UGH. Overall, better than the other guy. C+ in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndbigdave View Post
I am not too pumped with those mocks.

As has been mentioned/discussed many times (and quite eloquently I may add), the NT position for our team has limited value. To think we would use #31 or #34 on the position boggles the mind.

I acknowledge our need of a safety, but after Vaccaro (who I am not willing to trade up for unless it is a few picks up) then there is a core group of guys who I like, but who I would not take with one of our first two picks.

So where does that leave us with BPA and need? I suppose if there is someone who can be Justin's replacement (Tank, Hunt, Jones?), which then has us looking at another spot with #34 - TE is possible, but again, I think value (positional value and value on our roster) is likely somewhere else...

Frankly, I would fist pump if we moved back from #31, and wouldnt even be mad if we traded back from #34 as well to load up on other 2nd round picks and 3rd round picks where the value seems better. We can then zone in on the guys we like best in rounds 2, 3 and 4 by moving up when necessary and adding picks for the future.
Agree in regards to NT and safety. I wouldnt trade up for Vaccaro unless he slips to at least 25 but thats not going to happen. I would only trade up past 25 if Milliner slips to at least 20 but I dont see that happening either. I dont want any safety at 31 unless its Vaccaro.

Agree 100% in regards to trading down from 31.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

It seems like every mock draft has us trading up for a FS or TE (Vacarro or Eifert). Worse, they have us giving up 31 AND 34, sometimes just to move up a mere 10-15 spots or so....

Maybe its just me but i believe any trade up would be for a disruptive DL (such as Carradine or Richardson). Can't see any other need worth so many picks.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

I agree these trade ups are getting insane!I'm a little nervous it might happen for a certain player I don't want us to give up the second rounds. Great depth in those rounds. i want us to stay put and go BPA heck with moving around unless we get more picks next year.