Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 04-23-2013, 12:49 AM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope so TH. The only realistic guys for #10 that we have interviewed are Mingo, Jordan, Warmack, Cooper, Floyd, and I guess Patterson if Bray's tweet was true. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of picking a guard at 10, and I'm skeptical about the fit of a Mingo/Jordan guy in a 4-3. I hope they have a direction because I still have no clue where they are going.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:29 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looking over our depth chart, here are the positions I expect us to target:

WR
OL
DE
LB
CB
S

Judging by some of the players we've brought in, and our needs based on the depth chart, this is how I could, in all honestly, see the draft falling. Please note these are a combination of where draft sites and myself have the player going, it could vary in the real draft.

1) DE Barkevious Mingo LSU
2) WR Quinton Patton LT
3) OL Brian Winters Kent State
3) LB Kiko Alonso Oregon
4) CB/S Sanders Commings Georgia

Now I know it's not likely we take every player we have shown interest in, but according to my research last season we took 4 guys we were directly linked to, and were seen at another 1-2 via pro days that they couldnt directly link us to.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 AM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Based on our private workouts I think there's a decent good chance we go saftey in round 2 or 3.

Also, I'm not sure how much I'd look into the Patton visit. It might have just been that he's a local guy, so hey might as well. I know a lot of us here (myself included) think we should go WR in 2 or 3, but we've shown very little interest on that front so I'm not sure if the FO feels the same way.

Last edited by pierce2walker : 04-23-2013 at 04:16 AM.
pierce2walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My pre-draft complete guess is that we are targeting Mingo for our pick, but he gets snatched up right ahead of us by NYJ, and we take Jonathan Cooper. I have no basis for this.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
Based on our private workouts I think there's a decent good chance we go saftey in round 2 or 3.

Also, I'm not sure how much I'd look into the Patton visit. It might have just been that he's a local guy, so hey might as well. I know a lot of us here (myself included) think we should go WR in 2 or 3, but we've shown very little interest on that front so I'm not sure if the FO feels the same way.
The titans interest in FA WRs lead me to believe we do have interest in WRs, although I don't think it's high enough to take one with our first pick, I fully expect us to take one rounds 2-4.

But then again, we've seemed to draft based on BPA the past few years under Munch and not addressing the needs that most analyst and fans think. I waited patiently last year for an interior lineman and defensive end, and I waited a long time to hear one called.

In 2011 I also waited for a DE that never came.

However, like you said I've really only heard us connected to 5 WRs through the process, and all 5 are local guys.

A couple more names I've seen that the Titans have visited with in one way or another: DT John Jenkins Georgia, C Brian Schwenke Cal.

I don't know what to make of some of the visits to be honest, and I wonder if we visited with so many lineman before we signed LeVitre, because a lot of it says they were at the combine, and SR bowl.

Anyways, back to the original point. With the way the Titans expressed interest in FA, I'd be really shocked if we didn't take a WR in the first 4 rounds. Because, I mean surely they don't think Kevin Walters is the answer? The Patton thing could just be taking in a local guy, but it could be more than that. He's a very good WR that if he went to a bigger school he probably would be the top WR in the class.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:30 AM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the NFL Draft quickly approaching, here is my final mock draft of the year. Note that I didn't do any trades, and I tried to draft according to what I thought each team might realistically do -- based on team needs, availability, scheme, etc.. Obviously, because there were no trades, you'll see that some players slid a bit here; however, that always happens in the real draft too. Anyway...enjoy!

1. Kansas City Chiefs - OT Luke Joeckel (Texas A&M)
With Brandon Albert likely to be traded and Alex Smith recently acquired, it seems that the Chiefs are all set to take Albert's younger, cheaper replacement at left-OT. From what I've read, they'll try to recoup that 2nd Rounder that they lost for Smith by trading Albert to the Dolphins, who need a left-OT after losing Jake Long and who have two 2nd Rounders this year. While Eric Fisher has really closed the gap in recent weeks, Joeckel has been the frontrunner at OT for some time and gets the nod here.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE/OLB Dion Jordan (Oregon)
Even though Blaine Gabbert has underperformed thus far in his career, this isn't exactly the best year to be in the market for a QB. The best QB in this class (Geno Smith) grades out for many scouts as a mid-to-late 1st Rounder at best, though his position will likely push him into the top 10. The Jags could reach for Smith here, or they could opt for a QB in the 2nd/3rd Rounds. It seems like the Jags have been looking for a pass-rusher forever. Jordan and Ezekiel Ansah get the most consideration here; and even though Ansah is the better overall prospect, Jordan is probably the better pure pass-rusher and is one of the most physically gifted players in this draft also.

3. Oakland Raiders - DT Sharrif Floyd (Florida)
Everyone seems to think that the Raiders will go DL here, as there's DL talent to be had at the top of this draft and the Raiders lost Richard Seymore, Matt Shaughnessy, and Tommy Kelly this offseason. They're especially weak at DT right now, so Floyd, Star Lotulelei, and Sheldon Richardson get the most consideration here -- though Floyd's talent and his clean bill of health make him the most likely pick among the DTs, as he's the "safest" of those three prospects.

4. Philadelphia Eagles - OT Eric Fisher (Central Michigan)
For the Eagles offense to be successful, the OL needs an infusion of talent. Jason Peters is getting older and didn't have a great year last season, and Todd Herremans is playing out of position at right-OT. Fisher has been flying up draft boards lately. He's got the pure athleticism to eventually play left-OT (where he'll likely replace Peters in a year or two) and the mean, nasty demeanor to play right-OT (where he'll play this season, kicking Herremans inside to right-OG).

5. Detroit Lions - DE Ezekiel Ansah (BYU)
The Lions have glaring holes at DE, CB, and OT. With both Joeckel and Fisher gone, it may be too early to take Lane Johnson with a top-5 pick. So that narrows things to DE and CB. There's a chance that the Lions could go with Dee Milliner; however, they need to replace both DE starters from last year (i.e. Kyle Vanden Bosch and Cliff Avril). Ansah is very strong against the run and has the athleticism/length to develop into a 10-sack type threat -- especially playing next to Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley.

6. Cleveland Browns - CB Dee Milliner (Alabama)
Last year, the Browns focused on offense by bringing in Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden, and Josh Gordon. This year, I think they turn their attention back to DEF, where they have some intriguing pieces in Paul Kruger, Jabaal Sheard, Joe Haden, Phil Taylor, and Ahtyba Rubin. Milliner has been openly campaigning very hard for the Browns to select him as the starter opposite Haden; and the Cleveland front-office has connections to the Alabama program. Milliner wants to be in Cleveland and fills a need, so they'll oblige.

7. Arizona Cardinals - QB Geno Smith (West Virginia)
It may be a slight surprise to see Smith fall this far -- though this more realistically represents his draft-grade, based on what I've read. Smith has undeniable talent and an exceptional work-ethic, but he's not a sure thing. However, at this point in the draft, the Cardinals would be foolish not to take a gamble on him developing into their franchise QB. Even though they added Carson Palmer this offseason, he's a short-term stopgap at best. In fact, this may be the perfect scenario for Smith: sit for a year, work on footwork and NFL reads, and then become the starter next season.

8. Buffalo Bills - OG Jonathan Cooper (North Carolina)
There's a chance that the Bills could reach for Matt Barkley or Ryan Nassib here, but either would represent a significant reach -- especially considering that Nassib would likely be available at the top of the 2nd Round and that neither player has shown to be that much better than the other QBs like EJ Manual, Mike Glennon, etc. Everyone knows that CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson are Buffalo's bread-and-butter. With the loss of Andy Levitre, I think the interior OL gets heavy consideration. Both Cooper and Chance Warmack are worthy of a top-10 pick in this draft; however, Cooper is more versatile and is a better replacement for Levitre's old left-OG spot since Warmack is more suited for right-OG in the NFL.

9. New York Jets - OG Chance Warmack (Alabama)
The Jets have a lot of holes to fill in this draft, most notably on the OL and at 3-4 pass-rusher. With the Titans, Chargers, and Dolphins picking immediately afterwards -- all of whom could be in the market for an OL -- it's best for the Jets to take the OG here and hope that a pass-rusher falls to the #13 pick. A very strong run-blocker with surprising athleticism for someone his size, Warmack would fill the departing Brandon Moore's right-OG spot perfectly.

10. Tennessee Titans - CB Xavier Rhodes (Florida State)
The Titans have been very busy this offseason, addressing many needs via FA -- e.g. Andy Levitre, Shonn Greene, George Wilson, Bernard Pollard, Sammie Lee Hill, etc. The remaining holes remain at DE, CB, and right-OG. With both Warmack and Cooper off the board, things narrow to DE and CB here. The Titans could go with Barkevious Mingo here; but he's another undersized pass-rusher like Kamerion Wimbley. Bjoern Werner might also get a look here; but, ultimately, Xavier Rhodes is more talented. This move gives the team three legit CBs and allows Alterraun Verner to move back to his more natural spot as nickel CB.

11. San Diego Chargers - OT Lane Johnson (Oklahoma)
The Chargers struck out with Jared Gaither last season and will likely be looking to add an OT to help protect Phillip Rivers. The Chargers miss out on Joeckel and Fisher; however, they'd be happy to add Johnson here, who's been moving up draft boards. Even though he's still learning the position and may start out at right-OT, he's got the raw ability to eventually move to the blindside.

12. Miami Dolphins - DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo (LSU)
The Dolphins biggest need is left-OT, but they're hoping to address that by trading for KC's Brandon Albert, which will help mitigate missing out on Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson here. Another big need is starting CB; but, with Milliner and Rhodes gone, are Desmond Trufant and D.J. Hayden worthy of this early pick? In the end, because of circumstance, I think the Dolphins go with BPA; and, fortunately for them, they get a very talented player in Mingo, who can help the pass-rush as Cameron Wake is getting older.

13. New York Jets - DE/OLB Jarvis Jones (Georgia)
The Jets can address both OL and pass-rusher with their two 1st Rounders. After making the "safe" pick with Warmack at #9, they can afford to gamble here a bit with #13 by drafting Jones, who may be the best in-game player in this entire draft and who would fit perfectly into Rex Ryan's 3-4 scheme, where he'll be asked to do very little aside from terrorizing opposing QBs. If he is healthy and if Muhammed Wilkerson, Quinton Coples, Antonio Garay, etc. can occupy blockers up front, then Jones has a chance to be an impact sack-artist in the AFC East.

14. Carolina Panthers - DT Star Lotulelei (Utah)
The Panthers have had a huge hole at DT for years now, it seems. At this point in the draft, they'd be extremely happy to nab Lotulelei, who would be a top-5 pick if not for concerns about his health and his inconsistent motor. In the NFC South, Lotulelei should provide valuable pass-rush from the interior DL, as well as occupy double-teams, freeing up Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy to continue wreaking havoc upon opposing QBs.

15. New Orleans Saints - DE/OLB Bjoern Werner (Florida State)
Moving to Rob Ryan's 3-4 defensive scheme, the Saints are in need of some pass-rushers off the edge. With Jordan, Mingo, Ansah, and Jones all gone at this point, Werner seems like the best remaining option and would be a good value pick at #15. Even though he's not as freakishly athletic as some of those other pass-rushers, he's got enough athleticism to contribute, and his motor is top-notch as well.

16. St. Louis Rams - WR Tavon Austin (West Virginia)
The Rams have glaring holes at WR and S. Kenny Vaccaro will get serious consideration here; however, Austin is a rare athlete with the ball in his hands -- a playmaker with the potential to be a real difference-maker for the offense. With the loss of Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson during the offseason and with Brian Quick, Austin Pettis, and Chris Givens still unproven, Austin can be that X-Factor type weapon for Sam Bradford.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers - NT Johnathan Hankins (Ohio State)
Way back in 2001, the Steelers drafted a big, space-eating NT with the #19 pick in the draft. His name was Casey Hampton, and this will be the first season since then that the Steelers enter the year without him anchoring their DEF. With any luck, Hankins can be their NT for the next 10 years, occupying blockers so that the LBs and DEs can make plays. While WR is still a concern even after retaining Emmanuel Sanders, there should be several excellent options available in the 2nd/3rd Rounds.

18. Dallas Cowboys - S Kenny Vaccaro (Texas)
When was the last time that the Cowboys had a difference-maker at S? It seems like S is a concern for them every offseason and, for whatever reason, they never seem to fully address the problem. Vaccaro is the clear, consensus #1 S in this draft and a local University of Texas kid too, so this pick seems like a no-brainer at this point in the draft.

19. New York Giants - OT/OG D.J. Fluker (Alabama)
There's always a chance that the Giants go DL with their first pick. Because of that, Tank Carradine gets serious consideration here -- especially following his impressive workout. But there are still a few DEs after him that can play and can be found in the 2nd Round, whereas Fluker represents the last of the top-tier OTs in this draft. A very big body who excels at run-blocking, Fluker can play both right-OG and right-OT, which allows the Giants some flexibility for the rest of their draft.

20. Chicago Bears - MLB Alec Ogletree (Georgia)
After cutting ties with longtime defensive stalwart Brian Urlacher, the Bears now have a huge, glaring empty spot at MLB. Even though Ogletree has some maturity issues, he's extremely talented and could've been drafted much higher than this based on potential alone. He's definitely passed Manti Te'o at this point in the process and is the consensus top MLB in the draft. The risk/reward gamble may be a good move here at #20.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - DE Tank Carradine (Florida State)
The Bengals are on the up-and-up. Although they already have some nice weapons on the DL, it might be difficult to pass up Carradine's potential here -- especially considering that Michael Johnson's playing on a one-year deal. Even though Carradine performed very well at his recent workouts, he's still coming back from a significant ACL injury. Fortunately, the combo of Johnson, Carlos Dunlap, Wallace Gilberry, and Robert Geathers will allow the Bengals to control Carradine's snaps early on -- allowing him the full time to heal as they gauge whether he can replace Johnson next season.

22. St. Louis Rams - DT Sheldon Richardson (Missouri)
After giving Sam Bradford a weapon with the #16 pick (Austin), the Rams turn to the DEF side of the ball. Even though LB and S are bigger needs, Richardson represents the best value at this point and would be a steal at #22 in the draft. In fact, he could reasonably go in the top #10-12 picks based on talent alone. A disruptive force in the middle, this pick would absolutely transform the Rams' DL into one of the more formidable in the entire league with Richardson, Chris Long, Robert Quinn, and Michael Brockers. HC Jeff Fisher knows from his time with the Titans that a truly dominant DL can cover a multitude of sins elsewhere on DEF, so the Rams hope to address LB/S later in the draft.

23. Minnesota Vikings - WR Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee)
Even though the Vikings' offense is the Adrian Peterson Show, they need to insure that young Christian Ponder takes a step forward in his development, if he's going to be their QB of the future. To do that, they need to give him some weapons. While they brought in Greg Jennings, he was largely injured and ineffective last season; and after trading away Percy Harvin and missing out on Tavon Austin, the Vikings look to Patterson -- who is very explosive with the ball in his hands. Like Harvin and Austin, he's a playmaker who opposing DEFs have to account for and who the Vikings staff will try to guarantee a certain number of touches each game. It's likely that Matt Barkley will get a look here, but is he really that much better than Ponder? Better to take the pure athleticism and potential of Patterson here.

24. Indianapolis Colts - CB Desmond Trufant (Washington)
The Colts could go in a few directions here: WR, DL, LB, CB. While Reggie Wayne is old, it looks like he and TY Hilton can manage as a starting duo this year, allowing the Colts to address WR in the 2nd/3rd Rounds. The Colts brought in some big bodies to pair with Josh Chapman (i.e. Ricky Jean Francois and Aubrayo Frankin), though they could still use DE help, so Datone Jones gets serious consideration here. Ultimately, however, it may be too tough to pass up on Trufant's athleticism and attitude at this late point in the 1st Round. This would give the Colts a talented trio of CBs (Trufant, Vontae Davis, and Greg Toler) moving forward -- which is needed in today's pass happy NFL.

25. Minnesota Vikings - MLB Manti Te'o (Notre Dame)
With the way this draft has fallen into place, the Vikings will have to seriously consider QB here with Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, EJ Manual, and Mike Glennon. But have any of those guys demonstrated this offseason that they're markedly better than what they already have in Ponder? I'm not so sure. The Vikes also have a hole at MLB, and this pick represents solid value for the team. They get a DEF leader in Te'o, who isn't terribly athletic but is the sort of player that you can plug into that MLB for the next 5-8 years and forget about. If the Vikings can get another DT body to help occupy blockers with the aging Kevin Williams, then that should free up Te'o to make plays sideline to sideline.

26. Green Bay Packers - RB Eddie Lacy (Alabama)
When was the last time that no RB was drafted in the 1st Round? While Lacy got mixed reviews at his workout, it's important to remember that he's still recovering from injury. When you watch the tape, you see a guy who runs with lots of power/determination, excels at picking the right hole in front of him, and catches well enough to stay on the field in 3rd down situations. His decisive running style would be a good fit for the Packers' zone-blocking, would help relieve some pressure from Aaron Rodgers, and would address the team's yearly RB issues.

27. Houston Texans - QB Matt Barkley (USC)
Barkley's draft stock has fallen after a senior season in which he didn't really improve and then got injured. He's got an average arm at best, benefitted from a strong supporting cast of skill-players, and is coming from a program with a recent track record of producing very mediocre NFL QBs. In terms of draft-grade, I don't see that much difference between Barkley and Nassib, Manual, and Glennon -- as they all have significant question marks and all grade out as mid-to-late 2nd Round picks in any other year. However, the premium of the position pushes Barkley into the 1st Round conversation; and, despite all his shortcomings, he represents an intriguing pick for a Texans team with an aging, consistently underwhelming QB (Matt Schaub) who they will need to replace in the next couple years. Perhaps Barkley can put his smarts into play in a season or two -- especially if the Texans can manage to secure young offensive talent in this draft and the next at the skill positions.

28. Denver Broncos - MLB Kevin Minter (LSU)
The Broncos don't have a lot of glaring holes. They could use some more pass-rushing help after the Elvis Dumervil debacle. They could potentially go for another pass-catching option (Tyler Eifert?) for Manning, though the combo of Joel Dressen and Jacob Tamme played fine last year. In the end, I think they look to address their utter lack of a MLB by drafting Minter, who is a tackling machine and a DEF leader to boot. Similar to Te'o, Minter seems like the sort of player that can fill the MLB for the next 5-8 years and allow the Broncos front-office to rest easy and address other needs.

29. New England Patriots - Justin Hunter (Tennessee)
After losing both Wes Welker and Brandon Lloyd this offseason, WR is the most pressing need for the Patriots. Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman are a couple of smaller, shifty WRs; however the team needs someone who can lineup on the outside. While HC Bill Belichek has a horrendous track record in drafting WRs, there are several interesting WR options here to choose from. However, they all have some question marks (e.g. Justin Hunter's inconsistency, DeAndre Hopkins's hotel room habits, Keenan Allen's drug test, etc.). In the end, I think the Patriots staff goes for the biggest WR who has the potential to be a true #1 WR, if the knee issues and mental errors are behind him.

30. Atlanta Falcons - TE Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame)
Tony Gonzalez is coming back for one last season (again), and he showed last year that he's still got the skills and experience to contribute to the Falcons' offense. Still, in today's two-TE NFL, why not draft a talented guy like Eifert who can help Gonzo this season and replace him next season? Eifert has great size and good speed. He runs sharp routes and, most importantly for a TE, he catches everything in the general vicinity. Classic BPA pick at this point in the draft.

31. San Francisco 49ers - NT Jesse Williams (Alabama)
The 49ers are another team with very few holes -- mostly NT (where they lost Isaac Sopoaga) and FS (where they lost Dashon Goldson). They did bring in Craig Dahl, who seems serviceable at the FS spot; but that won't prohibit them from considering Eric Reid, Matt Elam, and Jonathan Cyprien at this point. In the end, however, I think the 49ers put a premium on the trenches, realizing that the hogmollies up front help to free up the Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis, and Navarro Bowman to make plays. Both Williams and John Jenkins get heavy consideration here; and while Jenkins is a huge body with some athleticism, he didn't look great in his recent workout. Williams isn't as large as Jenkins but plays stronger and has an absolute nasty attitude on the field, which seems like a perfect fit for HC Jim Harbaugh's team.

32. Baltimore Ravens - DE/DT Sylvester Williams (North Carolina)
The Ravens lost a lot on the defensive side this offseason -- e.g. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Paul Kruger, Dannell Ellerbe, Cary Williams, etc. They did bring in Elvis Dumervil to replace Kruger's pass-rushing; however, there other signings (e.g. Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Michael Huff, Rolando McClain, etc.) seem like clear downgrades from what they had last season. With McClain's most recent arrest, it seems like his stint with the team may end up being very short. Unfortunately for the Ravens, the top interior 3-4 LBs are all off the board at this point, so they have to look at addressing another need with this pick. WR gets consideration here opposite Torrey Smith with the departure of Anquan Boldin; but, in the end, DE/DT Sylvester Williams may represent the best value, as he's more talented than Canty/Spears and has the size and skill-set to play 3-4 DE.
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:11 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Not too bad Mick. I don't like Rhodes as much as many, but if thats what the coaches feel comfortable with I'm fine with it
Old 04-23-2013, 11:18 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

In the latest bleacher report mock, they have Bjoern Werner falling to us in round 2!

I hope this happens!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
Not too bad Mick. I don't like Rhodes as much as many, but if thats what the coaches feel comfortable with I'm fine with it
I'm not a huge fan of Xavier Rhodes either, but I think that I like him more than you do, based on some of your previous posts. I definitely see him as being worthy of a top 15 pick.

At this point, I'm confident that we're going with Rhodes, Cooper, Warmack, or Mingo -- that is, unless someone unexpected (like Milliner, Ansah, or Jordan) falls into our laps. Honestly, I like all four of those players and would be fine with any of them, though they all bring very different things to the table.

I think a lot will be determined by the OGs and by the QBs. Obviously, I'm not very high on the QBs and could see them all slipping a little further than most have predicted, which could push other position players up/down the board in unpredictable ways. And the thoughts about Cooper/Warmack, while usually positive, have similarly been all over the place -- some people are saying that they're both locks to be in the top 10, some people are saying that they could both fall to the mid-to-late teens. I do think that, given our obvious interest in Brian Winters and Brian Schwenke, we could pass on both OGs at #10 and address the position in the 2nd/3rd Rounds. Or we could stay put and take Cooper or Warmack -- though, again, I think Warmack is the better fit for right-OG. Or we could surprise everyone and take Fluker at that spot, play him at right-OG, and then kick him out to right-OT in a couple years. It's very messy.

My concern with Mingo is that I'm not sure he really fits our 4-3 system. I see him as more of a 3-4 OLB personally because of his size and skill-set. To be fair, many people said the same thing about Jevon Kearse when he was coming out, and our coaches fell in love with his potential and found a way to fit him into our 4-3, so maybe that happens again. I don't see that "Freak" potential in Mingo, even though he's a very good athlete, but perhaps the scouts like him more than I do.

Last edited by MicktheGreat : 04-23-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I think Mingo could work for us if we take him. The reason I say this is because we have SLH whos 329, Casey whos 300 @ the DT position and a bigger LE in Morgan @ 278.

I've posted this a while ago, but Williams primary REs in the past have been relatively smaller. Kearse was said to be 260 but was also reported to be 245 by the end of most of his seasons because he'd lose weight over the course of the season. Aaron Schobels playing weight was 243, Andre Carter was right around 255.

I'm not in love with Mingo, but in watching the film most of the time he was playing as a down linebacker, meaning he was asked to contain, read the QB etc. He can get after it when he was actually asked to
Old 04-23-2013, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reading the latest news from the Tennessean is interesting. Our GM forgetting the name of Cooper and Munch saying there's not much difference between the first 2 G's and the next tier. It's typical to bring in top rated guys, but we brought in a lot of those next tier guys. Gotta say that looks like no G at 10. And it looks like they may love Winters, but will they wait till the 3rd to get a G?

Munch said a CB with press ability is needed with the blitzing we'll be doing. Milliner or Rhodes?

Munch said they want sturdier DL, but like Mingo and Jordan. Talking out both sides of his mouth? I'd hope to say this points to Ziggy, but there's no visit that we know of. But maybe for once they do think a certain way, but just don't want the world to know it?

Maybe they plan to scheme in a guy like Jordan or Mingo, drawing on their strengths while trying to eliminate their shortcomings? As Mighty has pointed out, Williams has had small guys. Thing is we have two small pass rush guys we've invested highly in (Wimbly, Ayers). This is where another sturdier guy like Morgan makes sense imo, but you'd want a better total package, a freak who can win with speed and power...Yes, the answer is Ziggy! You don't have to scheme away from his weaknesses. A guy who is more well rounded screams less bust potential to me.

GM dismissed Washington trade talks. If we can believe that, maybe WR isn't a top need. Didn't think it was the likeliest at 10, but maybe they hold out till the 3rds or 4th.

I guess things do lean most towards CB at this point.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Rhodes looked really good, but only saw some highlights cut ups. Just watched some more, and now I'm a bit concerned. He's pretty big, but not super physical. His awareness seems a bit lacking. He does not have great speed, doesn't have great agility. I looked up his pro day 3 cone and SS #'s, they were actually really bad for an "elite" cb.

Maybe he fits scheme wise as a press CB, but I hope we don't get too caught up in scheme fit and ignore flaws in a player's game. This applies to what I think of Jordan and Mingo as well. Every play in the NFL isn't scripted out, many times it just comes down to player ability. Kinda like when our D was dominant here, it wasn't primarily due to Shwartz, it was the players. I know Williams will be less predictable, and maybe less relying on talent, but I still would think twice about drafting players high that could have huge flaws in their games.

I still like the fact that we could go several ways at 10, but I'm a little worried at the overall top end talent now more than ever. Hopefully I'm being too glass half empty, but I can't help but have serious questions about some of the guys we are projected to pick.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
Reading the latest news from the Tennessean is interesting. Our GM forgetting the name of Cooper and Munch saying there's not much difference between the first 2 G's and the next tier. It's typical to bring in top rated guys, but we brought in a lot of those next tier guys. Gotta say that looks like no G at 10. And it looks like they may love Winters, but will they wait till the 3rd to get a G?

Munch said a CB with press ability is needed with the blitzing we'll be doing. Milliner or Rhodes?

Munch said they want sturdier DL, but like Mingo and Jordan. Talking out both sides of his mouth? I'd hope to say this points to Ziggy, but there's no visit that we know of. But maybe for once they do think a certain way, but just don't want the world to know it?

Maybe they plan to scheme in a guy like Jordan or Mingo, drawing on their strengths while trying to eliminate their shortcomings? As Mighty has pointed out, Williams has had small guys. Thing is we have two small pass rush guys we've invested highly in (Wimbly, Ayers). This is where another sturdier guy like Morgan makes sense imo, but you'd want a better total package, a freak who can win with speed and power...Yes, the answer is Ziggy! You don't have to scheme away from his weaknesses. A guy who is more well rounded screams less bust potential to me.

GM dismissed Washington trade talks. If we can believe that, maybe WR isn't a top need. Didn't think it was the likeliest at 10, but maybe they hold out till the 3rds or 4th.

I guess things do lean most towards CB at this point.
1) I think the Warmack and Cooper interest was primarily if we didn't land LeVitre, I think now that we have we've cooled off on them. Like I've said all along, I think Warford is an elite guard. That doesn't mean we'll take him, but I think he's just as good as the other two.

2) Milliner and Rhodes would fit that bill the best, so they seem likely candidates @ 10.

3) This is what confuses me, we have only really been interested in smaller pass rushers @ the DE spot. Maybe we have decided we are big enough?

Right now, I'm thinking Mingo, Rhodes or Milliner will be the likely selection
Old 04-23-2013, 07:23 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
I thought Rhodes looked really good, but only saw some highlights cut ups. Just watched some more, and now I'm a bit concerned. He's pretty big, but not super physical. His awareness seems a bit lacking. He does not have great speed, doesn't have great agility. I looked up his pro day 3 cone and SS #'s, they were actually really bad for an "elite" cb.

Maybe he fits scheme wise as a press CB, but I hope we don't get too caught up in scheme fit and ignore flaws in a player's game. This applies to what I think of Jordan and Mingo as well. Every play in the NFL isn't scripted out, many times it just comes down to player ability. Kinda like when our D was dominant here, it wasn't primarily due to Shwartz, it was the players. I know Williams will be less predictable, and maybe less relying on talent, but I still would think twice about drafting players high that could have huge flaws in their games.

I still like the fact that we could go several ways at 10, but I'm a little worried at the overall top end talent now more than ever. Hopefully I'm being too glass half empty, but I can't help but have serious questions about some of the guys we are projected to pick.
Thats my biggest knock on him, I just don't see anything special with him. Seems lost at times
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

Yep...if we want to do more press-coverage this year and add that sort of CB at #10, then it's definitely either Milliner or Rhodes. Having watched Milliner play a whole lot, I'm not sure that he's a true "shutdown" CB in the NFL. He seems more like a very good #2 CB to me; but, that said, he's definitely very physical against opposing WRs and would do well with press-coverage -- especially since one of his weaknesses is backpedaling at this point.

But I just don't see Milliner falling to #10. He's long been the consensus #1 CB in this draft and his position is one of need in today's pass-happy NFL. Despite today's news about his shoulder surgery (which teams have apparently already known about for some time and which, to me, seems like nothing more than the "spinning" by teams, opposing agents, sports media, etc. that we see just before the draft EVERY year), I don't see him being available at #10. And that would leave Rhodes, whose strength is his size, press-coverage, and his ability to match up against bigger WRs.

I think a CB core of McCourty/Rhodes/Verner would be very respectable -- especially when you factor in our depth guys like Sensabaugh and Campbell.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Personally, I think Campbell is pretty good at press coverage but we never give him a shot!

Anyways, I wonder how we have the CBs ranked because we have shown alot of interest in Sanders Commings, who is a press corner projected to go 3-4th area
Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

It definitely seems like we are going to go after a press corner and there definitely are some interesting options out there. Aside from Rhodes/Milliner, we have shown interest in Commings as well as Kenny Vaccaro, who we have shown interest in and could possible make a very good press guy. Maybe someone like Jonathan Banks could draw interest in round 2.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Looking over our depth chart, here are the positions I expect us to target:

WR
OL
DE
LB
CB
S

Judging by some of the players we've brought in, and our needs based on the depth chart, this is how I could, in all honestly, see the draft falling. Please note these are a combination of where draft sites and myself have the player going, it could vary in the real draft.

1) DE Barkevious Mingo LSU
2) WR Quinton Patton LT
3) OL Brian Winters Kent State
3) LB Kiko Alonso Oregon
4) CB/S Sanders Commings Georgia

Now I know it's not likely we take every player we have shown interest in, but according to my research last season we took 4 guys we were directly linked to, and were seen at another 1-2 via pro days that they couldnt directly link us to.
Assuming they have no interest in Ansah or Werner, I'm seeing these:

1st RD: Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU
2nd RD: Matt Elam, S, Florida
3rd RD: Brian Winters, OG, Kent St.
3rd RD: Kiko Alonzo, ILB, Oregon
4th RD: Michael Buchanan, DE, Illinois

1st RD: Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU
2nd RD: Matt Elam, S, Florida
3rd RD: Brian Winters, OG, Kent St.
4th RD: Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia

1st RD: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
2nd RD: Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
3rd RD: Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
4th RD: Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia

I think it's a foregone conclusion that we'll be taking an OG, DE, S, CB, and ILB. Just depends on in what order based on how the board falls. I don't think we'll go WR. The only WR's we brought in were local visits, so that could've been the main reason for our interest. Hopefully we go WR next year, and grab Jordan Matthews from Vandy. There's also Marqise Lee and Sammy Watkins, but i have a massive mancrush on Matthews. Anthony Barr from UCLA if we don't take Mingo would be radical too. Bradley Roby from Ohio St. would be good if no Rhodes either.

We need to draft a safety for the future this year, though. The upcoming seniors and juniors blow.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

TH locking in Alonzo already! I do think we will go LB at some point though.

Also, as a UCLA guy I looooove me some Anthony Barr. I think he might be pretty exclusively a 3-4 OLB (he almost never plays with his hand in the ground), but damn that man can get after the passer and lay a hit.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I would be absolutely ballistic if we waited until the 4th round for a DE and only came away with Buchanan. And I highly doubt Elam makes it to our selection in the 2nd.

The 2nd is the best scenario, but again I doubt Elam will be there. It's basically mine but with no WR replaced with a S.

In the 3rd I don't see Datone Jones being there in the 2nd. I think he'll go around 25.

Teams don't draft with who will be there next year, and I'm more worried about the future of WR position than S. Although I would still love to take a safety.

If we go safety, I think it will likely be Reid in the 2nd or Wilcox in the 3rd
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's my favorite pass-rusher not named Clowney. Stephon Tuitt and Jackson Jeffcoat may fit our scheme better, but Barr is an animal.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

RD 1 Guys
G Jonathan Cooper NC
G Chance Warmack Alabama
DT Shariff Floyd Florida
OT Luke Joeckel Texas A&M
DE Dion Jordan Oregon
CB Dee Milliner Alabama
DE Barkevious Mingo LSU
CB Xavier Rhodes FSU
S Kenny Vaccaro Texas

2nd Round (some are guys that are late 1st rounders that likely wont be there, but we'll be prepared if they are)
S Jonathan Cyprien FIU
S Matt Elam Florida
G/C Travis Frederick Wisconsin
DE Datone Jones UCLA
LB Kevin Minter LSU
WR Quinton Patton LT
OL Justin Pugh Syracuse
OL Kyle Long Oregon
S Eric Reid LSU
LB Manti Teo ND
OG Larry Warford Kentucky

3rd
LB Kiko Alonso Oregon
S Baccari Rambo Georgia
CB Sanders Commings Georgia
OL Brian Schwenke CAL
S JJ Wilcox G. Southern
OL Brian Winters Kent St
Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I would be absolutely ballistic if we waited until the 4th round for a DE and only came away with Buchanan. And I highly doubt Elam makes it to our selection in the 2nd.

The 2nd is the best scenario, but again I doubt Elam will be there. It's basically mine but with no WR replaced with a S.

In the 3rd I don't see Datone Jones being there in the 2nd. I think he'll go around 25.

Teams don't draft with who will be there next year, and I'm more worried about the future of WR position than S. Although I would still love to take a safety.

If we go safety, I think it will likely be Reid in the 2nd or Wilcox in the 3rd
I have both Elam and Jones as early 2nd RD picks, personally. Elam is small and reckless, and Jones is a 5-tech who doesn't pose elite pass-rush potential. But, focus on the position more than the player, cause I pretty much chose to name a player rather than putting down "best safety available." That's why I said it'll depend on who falls, cause we never know.

I hope front offices at least slightly consider future draft classes when making decisions. Obviously, you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket and gamble on the future, but it just seems wise to be aware of the future. If GMs and scouting departments choose to focus solely on the here and now, then that's probably why there's so few good front offices in the NFL. Personally, I'd want my scouts scouting guys from their freshman year. Lets not wait til they're juniors. Nevertheless, this is probably a moot point since it seems the FO is drafting one anywho, and I think a lot of us are for that.

Howzabout this one:

1ST RD: XAVIER RHODES, CB, FSU
2ND RD: ALEX OKAFOR, DE, TEXAS
3RD RD: BRIAN WINTERS, OG, KENT ST.
3RD RD: KIKO ALONSO, ILB, OREGON
4TH RD: J.J. WILCOX, S, GEORGIA SOUTHERN

The value should be fine with this one. In the forum mock, Winters and Alonzo went just a little earlier, but whatever. Since the FO chose to only work out 3 DEs, and early picks at that, they'll have to draft a guy they didn't work out in person if they miss Jordan and Mingo in the 1st and Jones in the 2nd. Figure a senior in Okafor is regarded highly enough for them to take, and they still get 4 guys they saw first hand in this one.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Last edited by TitanHope : 04-23-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:54 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't think any case can be made that Xavier Rhodes is the 10th best football player in the draft.

I also think there is a great chance Milliner will be there.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

If we don't pick a DE in round 1, I'm going to be praying that Werner slips to us in the 2nd. I know he should grade higher than that, but its actually pretty hard to find a place for him if he gets past 15 or so. Combine that with teams possibly wanting to go with a sexier pick in the 1st and a Werner fall is possible. I will be hoping.