Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't disagree with any particular point. I'm not happy about this either.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Profootball focus's take on the Albert situation (highlights)

Quote:
If you, like I, assume pass blocking is the most important part of a tackle’s job and rate players in that order he [Albert] becomes the...ninth-placed left tackle.

Further, when you dig into our advanced normalization data..he becomes the sixth tackle with only Joe Thomas, Russell Okung, Michael Roos, Andrew Whitworth and Ryan Clady ahead of him.

This is where I struggle with the whole thing frankly. The Chiefs are a very talented team who but for a perfect storm of issues shouldn’t have been close to the first pick in the draft. They now have that golden opportunity and seem to be on the verge of using it to make a lateral move. I have no idea how good Luke Joeckel is or will become (or any of the other tackles for that matter) but I do know he is still just a tackle and tackles do not win games; particularly if you had a good player at that position anyway. Even if Joeckel becomes the best left tackle in the league, the difference between him and Branden Albert is probably five to 10 additional QB disruptions a year on 500 passing attempts – so a best case scenario gives you a 1-2% improvement – is that really great value?

With the rookie wage cap expect the first pick to save Kansas City maybe $2M a year on Albert, pick up at very best a marginally better player and net them a second round pick (which as we know from Khaled’s recent Draft Grader series, is still a lottery).

Call me wild, but for a team as loaded in many positions as the Chiefs, that looks like a singularly unambitious strategy.

Last edited by findthedr : 04-19-2013 at 03:04 PM.
findthedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findthedr View Post
This is very similar to what Parcells did in Miami with Jake Long. Hindsight shows that it was the wrong move.
Foresight showed it was the wrong move, too.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They're taking what they feel is the best player available at their pick. They simply can't trade down (because no one wants to go up), so most people (myself included feel it's the right move).

Some people (who I respect their opinion) believe KC should draft a QB or a position where the team is weaker to get a greater return on their investment (bigger impact to the team).

It's really simple to understand why they are taking Joeckel. It might not be something people will agree with - but it's really simple to see.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:16 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The pick should still be a pass rusher or a QB. Albert should be signed long term and the pick should be something that makes more of an impact. It really is that simple.

It won't happen though. It should, and it won't, and that is a shame. But worry not, the casual idiot Chiefs fans around here are excited so the Chiefs will still sell tickets and that's pretty much all this franchise cares about. Winning is a distant second.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
The pick should still be a pass rusher or a QB. Albert should be signed long term and the pick should be something that makes more of an impact. It really is that simple.

It won't happen though. It should, and it won't, and that is a shame. But worry not, the casual idiot Chiefs fans around here are excited so the Chiefs will still sell tickets and that's pretty much all this franchise cares about. Winning is a distant second.

Got ya something, buddy.
Kaepernick is this years pat white. Thin, gimmick offense and doesn't possess an nfl arm. The ncaa constantly regurgitates clones of past players and amazingly enough, tricks some people into thinking they're better than their cloned half. Kaepernick was a complete waste of a senior bowl qb spot. A better qb will come from the east/west shrine or whatever they're calling it now...count on it

- Genius
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i agree with the other Chiefs posters. Joeckel is a lateral move. Albert is already there and playing in the good/really good category. when the Dolphins drafted Long, they needed a LT. Carey was a fine RT, but the Dolphins needed to upgrade the LT position. the Chiefs aren't in the same boat at all. they had 2 pretty good starting OTs. no one looked at this roster and thought that our starting OTs needed to be upgraded immediately. destroying the continuity of an OLine that relatively played well under some extreme situations last year definitely wasn't the answer. cutting Winston created a hole to fill. trading Albert will create a hole to fill. a 2-14 team should be filling holes not creating them where we didn't have 1.

and this isn't a draft Geno thing either. **** the QBs. this is a fan watching his team get torn apart in places that weren't needed. we didn't need Joeckel/Fisher. now, we do. i don't see the use in cutting or trading a player that is a good capable player to only have to replace that player with the #1 pick. thats not a move that makes any sense. you should be using #1 picks to improve your team, not replace players you got rid of in the last few weeks.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 PM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm hoping that they think that Stephenson is ready for the LT spot and that is the reason they are trying to get rid of Albert, and not because they are planning on drafting a tackle at #1 overall.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have been perfectly fine with them F'ing Albert and trading him for a 2nd rounder if they didn't trust his health, wanted to save cap space, and liked Stephenson as the LT (and kept Winston). That would have made sense, but isn't the case. Reid wants fatties. He's going to put fatties all along the line and they aren't going to be able to pass block...and Reid is going to pass it 40 times a game. It's dumb.

This was an easy situation. The Chiefs had a Super Bowl caliber line (better than a lot of teams that have one in recent history) and needed a QB and an competent offensive system. I somewhat trust Reid's offense, but I don't think they really upgraded the QB position and they worsened their position overall.

Last edited by nepg : 04-19-2013 at 08:54 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 PM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
and Reid is going to pass it 40 times a game.
with Alex Smith. Below are his average passing attempts/game over his career:
2012: 21.8
2011: 27.8
2010: 31.1
2009: 33.8

As you can see his averaging passing attempts per game have decreased every year over the last 4 seasons.

That is the opposite direction of Vick while he was in Philly.

2012: 35.1
2011: 32.1
2010: 31.0
Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 AM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

Dwayne Bowe says that the new offense will be, "Throwing the ball deep...It's not check downs or putting it in the running back's hands. This guy likes to go down the field, take the top off (the defense) and..put up a lot of points."

Once again, they chose Alex "check-down" smith to run an offense like this. Alex Smith also has a tendency to take alot of sacks, and the chiefs are thinking about pairing him with a rookie LT (instead of an experienced one like Albert). Nothing beats a combo like that paired with 7 step drops (slow developing plays)!

I feel like I am watching a train-wreck in slow-motion.

Last edited by findthedr : 04-21-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
I feel like I am watching a train-wreck in slow-motion.
That's probably because you are.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The sad part is, the Chiefs are likely the 2nd best team in the AFC West. What a clown division.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would.

Chiefs are likely trading a former 15th overall pick (albert) for a 2nd round pick. They are likely taking the "safe" pick, a LT #1 overall. This is very similar to what Parcells did in Miami with Jake Long. Hindsight shows that it was the wrong move.

The chiefs have made similar moves in the past with Tyson Jackson and Glen Dorsey that eventually lead to the dismisal of Pioli and Carl Peterson, respectively.

At this point it just looks like the "new" regime is like the "old" regime, and the chiefs will repeat the process again in 4-5 yrs.
Oh I know. The Chiefs should be resigning Albert long term. I was asking nepg because he is a notorious defender of all things Pioli/Cassel and I was wondering if he would be hating on these moves if his favorites were still around.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 AM    (permalink
tjjohnson98
Rookie

tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjjohnson98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't agree with the apparent strategy as a whole here, but I'll stop short of a wholesale condemnation of the moves. I think there could be a couple of things at play here:

1. Albert appears to want "between 8 and 9 million a year" on a long-term deal. That's pretty rich. I think Albert is a good player, but I don't think he's that good. He has to be willing to sign with the Chiefs for them to do a deal, and if they think they want to pay $7M/yr, this trade exploration is a great way for Albert and his agent to see what his market value is without losing him. Maybe now that they see the Fins balking too, that reality check will make it more likely that he signs long-term. I'm not 100% convinced the Chiefs actually want to trade him.

2. If I'm thinking from a pure draft strategy standpoint and I want to trade down, I have to appear that I'm going to take something that people really want. Most projections I have seen recently show 3 OTs going in the first 7 picks. If I want a top 12 team to trade up to #1 (realistically, that's the trade market), I have to give the impression that I am taking the player(s) everyone wants. JAX looks like they are either going pass rusher or QB, so the Chiefs can field offers for people that want to jump in front of the Jags or they can take a deal from someone that wants a tackle. If the Chiefs truly don't want a tackle, they are playing this very well.

I think the Chiefs still want to keep Albert at a reasonable price and trade down. Just my opinion, no idiot in the press to back it up. Albert has now seen 2 teams that don't think he's worth what he wants. 3 NFL teams that might otherwise be in the market for a LT are going to draft one with a top 10 pick this week, so cross them off the list for 2014 free agency. I won't be shocked in the least if the Chiefs end the week by signing Albert long term and either trading down or drafting Star or Jordan (Jordan makes me nervous). Not saying it's going to happen, but I'm just not convinced that everything is as it currently seems.

Last edited by tjjohnson98 : 04-22-2013 at 08:08 AM.
tjjohnson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Jerm
Rookie

Jerm hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hmmmmmm......

Watching Oregon film.....
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Roddoliver
Rookie

Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
The sad part is, the Chiefs are likely the 2nd best team in the AFC West. What a clown division.
They won 5 less games than the Chargers. How did they get better than the Chargers? By trading for a QB that averages 11,5 TDs per season?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 AM    (permalink
49ers1984
Rookie

49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post

Pass rusher sure but there is no QB worth the #! pick so it would be dumb to just reach out and get one especially since you could get one later.
49ers1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:32 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
They won 5 less games than the Chargers. How did they get better than the Chargers? By trading for a QB that averages 11,5 TDs per season?
The Chiefs horrendously underachieved last year, while the Chargers played at about their level and probably are entering a massive rebuild. I think the Chargers have a greater chance to pick top 5 in the next 2-3 years than the Chiefs do.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:35 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eric Fisher appears to be the front runner now.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:39 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If true, he has to be the highest drafted CMU player ever. Can't believe Central could have a #1 pick.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would he be the first MAC player to go #1 overall? I'm thinking he would be.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I would prefer Fisher over Joeckel, so if it turns out to be him I'll be happy. It all depends on Albert. If they decide to keep him, I want to go Dion. If we trade him, it has to be an OT, so I want Fisher.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:41 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still holding out hope the entire off-season was because they didn't want to pay Albert and are in love with Stephenson at LT. That's the only way anything they've done doesn't just look completely ********.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:08 PM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I'm still holding out hope the entire off-season was because they didn't want to pay Albert and are in love with Stephenson at LT. That's the only way anything they've done doesn't just look completely ********.
yup. heck, the chiefs could always invest part of the savings of having the franchise tag off the cap by picking up Bryant Mckinnie. That would allow Stephenson a full yr at RT, and allow Alex Smith an experienced LT protecting him.

I just cant believe how people are overlooking Stephenson. He has the measurables and athletic ability of Lane Johnson (both OU grads), and played 6 games last yr at LT.

Last edited by findthedr : 04-24-2013 at 10:11 PM.