Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 04-13-2013, 04:08 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Isn't Kareem entering the last year of his rookie deal? We don't have a lot of cap space and we're going to have to pay JJ Watt a billion dollars soon.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
Isn't Kareem entering the last year of his rookie deal? We don't have a lot of cap space and we're going to have to pay JJ Watt a billion dollars soon.
He has two more years left I believe. I think he signed a five year deal.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:22 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
He has two more years left I believe. I think he signed a five year deal.
Good call. Not sure how McCain will be coming off an injury. I'm a big believer in Trufant and we play nickel so much these days you're 3rd guy is a starter. Brandon Harris got abused last year.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:16 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I jinxed you man. :( The second after I PM Cunningham to mention Terrance Williams was still on the board then he gets picked like 2 picks later. haha
Old 04-15-2013, 10:07 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Forum mock update:

1. Desmond Trufant - CB, Washington

This was a difficult pick, I was trying to trade up using my first and third round to go and get Tavon Austin, but it fell through at the last minute. So I decided to go BPA at our spot and Trufant was by far the highest ranked guy on my big board. As a rookie he would start in the nickel and would be perfect matching up against shifty slot WR's. In our games last season against top qb's running 4+ WR sets, our defense was exposed and our depth was very suspect when Joseph was dealing with nagging injuries. After year 1, I think he can develop into a very good starting CB.

2. Quinton Patton - WR, Louisiana Tech

WR was too big of a need to not address here. I was deciding between Patton and Da'Rick Rogers, but went with Patton bc he doesn't have the character issues Rogers does. He has a well-rounded game and catches the ball well. He can contribute as a #2/3 guy day 1.

3. Brandon Williams - NT, Missouri Southern St.

Williams is a prospect I like as much as any other NT in the draft. He is built like a fire-hydrant, with a very thick build. He's an immovable object that can tie up blockers and anchor a defense. He's pretty athletic for his size and is extremely strong. He probably won't do a whole lot rushing the passer or in pursuit, but we have that quick NT in Earl Mitchell.

3. (compensatory) Xavier Nixon - OT, Florida

Shout out to America on this one, he's the one who turned me on to Nixon as a prospect. Derek Newton is terrible and it would be great to replace him at RT. Nixon is an athletic tackle with good length and the ability to anchor. Gets a good push in the run game and keeps his feet churning.

4. Kevin Reddick - ILB, UNC

Reddick is a bit of a project, but has all the tools you look for. He's instinctive, sorts through trash well, and plays fast. He needs a lot of work on tackling technique and needs to be coached up. He is great at getting to the play and getting his hands on the ball carrier, but his issue is finishing the play. Assuming he is coachable, he is a hell of a player and would look good next to Cushing inside.

5. Traded to the Eagles for Brent Celek

I'm also a big Eagles fan, so I've seen a lot of Brent Celek over the years and he's a quality player. He is an effective blocker and pass catcher. He's proved he can start in the NFL and would provide a good 2nd option behind Owen Daniels. I was looking at Dion Sims but he was taken before my pick. Celek's 28 and at the very least provides great depth.

Overall I think I've gotten good value for our picks and have addressed most of our glaring needs with players who can contribute early on. We've still got 2 picks in the 6th and 1 in the 7th. Got some interesting players in mind for those spots and I'll keep you guys updated.

Last edited by cunningham06 : 04-15-2013 at 10:10 PM.
cunningham06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

I read Keenan Allen has failed his interviews miserably and that the scouts see him as a "me first" type of a guy. Ouch. His stock has already been falling and that doesn't help. The Texans hate guys with that attitude too.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Draft is getting closer. :)
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Last three picks ended up being:

6th round- Tristan Okpalaugo- OLB, Fresno St.
Took him to serve as a backup OLB for us. He has a big frame, long arms, and pretty good quickness off the snap. Developmental kind of guy, but has a high ceiling for where we got him.

6th round(compensatory): Sam McGuffie- RB/WR
I like McGuffie to line up all over the field, particularly in the slot. He's very shifty and fast.

7th Round: Mario Benavides- C, Louisville
We needed a backup C, and he was the best available IMO.

Overall: Of course I like this draft, I picked these guys. I think Trufant, Patton, and Nixon can step in early and get playing time, if not start. Brandon Williams could be excellent in run stuffing packages, but I don't think he would start over Earl Mitchell to start the season. We picked up some good depth at TE, C, ILB, and OLB. I would have liked to get a safety but I had other positions at better value where I picked. And Schaub gets some new toys to play with in Patton, Celek, and McGuffie.

So let me know what you guys think.

2 DAYS!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:58 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

It's draft day!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:23 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

The Texans should have made the trade that the Vikes did with the Pats. A 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th to move down a little.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:00 AM    (permalink
Dunta_23
Rookie

Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A trade down would have been nice to add some depth pieces but if the Texans felt Hopkins could come in and start day 1 and had him ranked above others Im glad they made the move.

We already have a 2, and 2 3rds
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23 View Post
A trade down would have been nice to add some depth pieces but if the Texans felt Hopkins could come in and start day 1 and had him ranked above others Im glad they made the move.

We already have a 2, and 2 3rds
I would have accepted that deal. Then we would have 2 seconds, 3 3rds, and 2 fourth round picks. That would give us the chance to draft both Robert Woods/Justin Hunter, and Terrence Williams if we went that route.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

I became a really big fan of Hopkins these last few weeks leading up to the draft and D.J. Swearinger is one of my absolute favorites in the entire draft. He's a natural leader and brings a lot of attitude to the defense. I think he'll start out playing close to the line of scrimmage, acting as a nickel LB like Antrel Rolle. Hopkins should start immediately and be a 50-60 catch kind of guy, providing a deep threat opposite Andre. He's great at comebacks and outs, always coming back to the ball, which is essential with Schaub's weak arm.

I'm iffy on Brennan Williams. I thought they said Brandon Williams at first and I was pumped but the Brennan definitely fills a need. I'm not sure how he fits our scheme, seeing as he's not very light on his feet and he's more of a mauler, but hopefully he can come in and compete with Newton right away. I liked Sam Montgomery too. He should be a solid edge setter and can get some pressure with extra hustle.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
I became a really big fan of Hopkins these last few weeks leading up to the draft and D.J. Swearinger is one of my absolute favorites in the entire draft. He's a natural leader and brings a lot of attitude to the defense. I think he'll start out playing close to the line of scrimmage, acting as a nickel LB like Antrel Rolle. Hopkins should start immediately and be a 50-60 catch kind of guy, providing a deep threat opposite Andre. He's great at comebacks and outs, always coming back to the ball, which is essential with Schaub's weak arm.

I'm iffy on Brennan Williams. I thought they said Brandon Williams at first and I was pumped but the Brennan definitely fills a need. I'm not sure how he fits our scheme, seeing as he's not very light on his feet and he's more of a mauler, but hopefully he can come in and compete with Newton right away. I liked Sam Montgomery too. He should be a solid edge setter and can get some pressure with extra hustle.
He does fill a need even though everyone knows how I feel about the WR's this year. I hope he proves me wrong and you all can say "I told you so" to me. He does have hands similar to Andre.

I agree with you on Swearinger. I really like that pick even though I was pulling for Amerson by a small margin. He is my favorite pick for us thus far. I am mixed on Brennan as well. I never really paid attention to UNC this year so never really got to see him play. I am also in between on Montgomery. I mean, I like him as a player and he has talent, but a little mixed on how he will fit on the team. He is rather light for a 5 technique. I guess we will use him more in passing downs. Maybe he can gain 20 pounds or so. Can he really make the switch to 3-4 OLB? Seems like a project but worth the risk in the bottom of the 3rd.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 04-27-2013 at 12:00 AM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:07 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Our UDFA signings:

Justin Tuggle, Inside Linebacker, Kansas State, 6-3, 244 lbs.
Travis Howard, Cornerback, Ohio State, 6-1 200 lbs.
Willie Jeffeson, Outside Linebacker, Stephen F. Austin, 6-6 234 lbs.
Graham Pocic, Center, Illinois, 6-7 310 lbs.
Ja’Gared Davis, SMU, Outside Linebacker, 6-1 235 lbs.
Earl Okine, Florida, Defensive End, 6-6 286 lbs.
Zach Boren, Ohio State, Fullback, 6-1 241 lbs.
Evan Frierson, Illinois State, Linebacker, 6-2 240 lbs.
Dann O’Neill, Western Michigan,Tackle, 6-8 305 lbs.
Marlon Brown, Georgia, Wide Receiver, 6-4 213 lbs.
Raymond Graham, Pittsburgh, Running back, 5-9 190 lbs.
Uzoma Nwachukwu, Texas A&M, Wide Receiver, 6-0 194 lbs.
Jon Opperud, Montana, Offensive Tackle, 6-7 302 lbs.
Kenny Demens, Michigan, Linebacker, 6-1 242 lbs.
Andrew Shapiro, Fresno State, Punter, 6-0 198 lbs.
George Winn, Cincinnati, Running back, 5-10 216 lbs.
Andy Cruse, Miami (OH), Wide Receiver, 6-3 212 lbs.
Orhian Johnson, Ohio State, Safety, 6-2 210 lbs.
Bryan Collins, SMU, Offensive Guard, 6-3 313 lbs.
Dennis Johnson, Arkansas,Running back, 5-6 196 lbs.
Alex Kupper, Louisville, Offensive Guard, 6-3 298 lbs.
Collin Klein, Kansas State, Quarterback, 6-5, 226 lbs. TRYOUT
Cierre Wood , Notre Dame, Running back, 5-11 213 lbs.
Michael Smith, UConn, Wide Receiver, 6-0 201 lbs.
Johnny Adams, Michigan State, Cornerback, 5-11 177 lbs.
Torlan Pittman, SMU, Defensive Tackle, 6-1, 285 lbs.
Jawanza Starling, USC, Safety, 6-1 200 lbs.
Malik “Fig” James, Langston University, Defensive Back, 6-0 195 lbs.
A.J. Bouye, University of Central Florida, Cornerback, 6-0 186 lbs.
Alec Lemon, Syracuse, Wide Receiver, Wide Receiver, 6-2 202 lbs.
Javicz Jones, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Linebacker/Safety 6-0 224 lbs. TRYOUT
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man Texans made out like bandits in UDFA. I love Houston's first two picks, Patterson and Hopkins were my top 2 receivers and Swearinger is a hell of a ball player despite his marginal shorts numbers. Montgomery and Quessenberry are intriguing picks. The rest is pretty meh.

C.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:39 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

2017 Super Bowl!!!!!