Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-26-2013, 02:53 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I was just talking about that Ertz signing and cutting Scheff at work today. You guys are awesome, I like that it was mentioned. I was thinking Ertz, then cut Scheff and sign a vet DE to take some pressure off of Ansah and allow Jones to serve in a rotation on the interior with Suh and Fairley. We'd have to grab Barrett Jones if possible in the 3rd.

However, I like Watson and Warford alot too.

Dynamic playmaking WR would help too, but better value next round.

We have our options at least, so I wouldn't mind a trade down.
I like that we are on the same page. I really see a lot of reasons why Mayhew would jump all over Ertz. Gives us a lot of financial flexibility the next 2 years and he looks like he will be a very solid TE in both the passing and blocking game
Old 04-26-2013, 03:17 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why are there no mentions of Terron Armstead? I'd take him before I take Menelik Watson.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
Why are there no mentions of Terron Armstead? I'd take him before I take Menelik Watson.
Both kind of scare me. Mostly because both are definitely projects and you'd have to question whether either of them would be able to beat out Fox or Hilliard next year.

Curious why you like him more than watson however. He does seem more athletic but the level of competition he's played in makes me think he would definitley ride the pine next year.

Watson on the other hand comes from high level of competition and has practiced daily vs the likes of werner and carradine
Old 04-26-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could see Ertz with Scheffler and Pettigrew both free agents. Cut Scheffler and then get eithre Brandon Moore or a vet DE.

San Fran is ahead of us though. I bet they get Ertz losing Delanie Walker.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:49 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cut Pettigrew, not Scheffler.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Cut Pettigrew, not Scheffler.
I was just thinking that. Also wonder if we could get trade value for pettigrew
Old 04-26-2013, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

9 dropped passes, 4 fumbles, and a long of 24 yards...big play Pettigrew.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
9 dropped passes, 4 fumbles, and a long of 24 yards...big play Pettigrew.
He never lost a fumble until last year. Pettigrew is a 700 yard a year Tight End and a good blocker. You cut Scheffler who saves a little more too. Pettigrew gets better YAC per reception too and more efficient 3rd downs and Pettigrew has a much higher catch rate on similar targets 95 to 83 last year. 62.1 for Pettrew and only 50.6% for Scheffler.

Scheffler had 6 drops as well and 6 balls intended for him were picked. Only 2 ints going to Pettigrew.

Last edited by Maybe This Year Mayhew : 04-26-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just so I can throw some more **** on the wall and see what sticks. Any thoughts on doubling up and taking Tank Carradine? What if he's our best available? We pulled the trigger on Fairley a while ago. I don't think we're afraid of doubling up.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 04-26-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
Just so I can throw some more **** on the wall and see what sticks. Any thoughts on doubling up and taking Tank Carradine? What if he's our best available? We pulled the trigger on Fairley a while ago. I don't think we're afraid of doubling up.
I agree with a ton. It gives the line a great young core at every position. And Jones is versatile in case of injury. Mosley in the run stuffer at DT. And then Young gets his 300 snaps as a backup and hopefully is back to 2011 form.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:03 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
Both kind of scare me. Mostly because both are definitely projects and you'd have to question whether either of them would be able to beat out Fox or Hilliard next year.

Curious why you like him more than watson however. He does seem more athletic but the level of competition he's played in makes me think he would definitley ride the pine next year.

Watson on the other hand comes from high level of competition and has practiced daily vs the likes of werner and carradine
That's basically it, but Terron is more athletic and younger (Menelik is 25 already IIRC). If we're gonna draft a project LT, gimme the one with more upside.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:10 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Draft pick requirements:

-Never so much as looked at a pot leaf picture
-Never had an injury worse than a paper cut

Everyone else is good to go for us.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Draft pick requirements:

With their second round pick the Lions select Tyrann Mathieu, DB - LSU
Old 04-26-2013, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
With their second round pick the Lions select Tyrann Mathieu, DB - LSU
Maybe we can trade Schwartz for Marvin Lewis.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 04-26-2013, 05:42 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Draft pick requirements:

So basically you want te'o?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mark me down as a hater of the pick. We had an absolute chance to add a real impact player which just doesn't happen too often for pretty good football team. We turned that opportunity into a grab for potential over substance, something solid GM's avoid like the plague and useless GM's do all the time.
This pick could haunt the franchise for years to come, we passed up an opportunity to have a great OL and settled for a very average one, it could completely affect our ability to protect the passer and allows teams to pressure Stafford mercilessly. This could really send our offense down the tubes towards being very average.
Ansah can not turnout to need seasoning so he can be productive in 2 years, he has to produce now or next season will just pass us by.
In one move, Mayhew turned a unique opportunity to really get better, into a situation where we can get really quite worse.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Zach Ertz would be a decent pick, but you can easily get a very good tight end later in the draft. I had Fauria going to us in the sixth round. He is great as a receiving TE and a decent blocker. If Fauria isn't there than another option would be someone like Lucas Reed.
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Silver & Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:04 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Mark me down as a hater of the pick. We had an absolute chance to add a real impact player which just doesn't happen too often for pretty good football team. We turned that opportunity into a grab for potential over substance, something solid GM's avoid like the plague and useless GM's do all the time.
This pick could haunt the franchise for years to come, we passed up an opportunity to have a great OL and settled for a very average one, it could completely affect our ability to protect the passer and allows teams to pressure Stafford mercilessly. This could really send our offense down the tubes towards being very average.
Ansah can not turnout to need seasoning so he can be productive in 2 years, he has to produce now or next season will just pass us by.
In one move, Mayhew turned a unique opportunity to really get better, into a situation where we can get really quite worse.
I understand you wanted an OT. But i'm curious what you wanted us to do exactly. Besides trade up because you have no idea whether we tried to do that or not. My assumption is that it would have costed us a 2nd rounder which I do not think that would have been worth it.

Oakland wanted DJ Hayden the entire time. They said that if they didn't trade down they would have taken Hayden at #3. So a trade down with miami would have been more appealing to them unless we offered our 2.

Not saying I'm a huge fan because I think I would have wanted milliner or even cooper. But I really don't think we had a chance at one of the 3 OT's without giving up very good value

Last edited by detroit4life : 04-26-2013 at 06:07 PM.
detroit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
I understand you wanted an OT. But i'm curious what you wanted us to do exactly. Besides trade up because you have no idea whether we tried to do that or not. My assumption is that it would have costed us a 2nd rounder which I do not think that would have been worth it.

Oakland wanted DJ Hayden the entire time. They said that if they didn't trade down they would have taken Hayden at #3. So a trade down with miami would have been more appealing to them unless we offered our 2.

Not saying I'm a huge fan because I think I would have wanted milliner or even cooper. But I really don't think we had a chance at one of the 3 OT's without giving up very good value
I think we were in an excellent spot to make a trade with Oakland, you have to remember the #5 pick could have been traded again by Oakland for even more extra picks. They also gave Miami a huge discount to pull off the trade.
Your right though, I don't know if we attempted to trade down but I suspect we had already settled on Ansah and didn't care to move.

I'm looking at it from tprospectiveive that we want to be SB champions not just another average team. I make the trade with Oakland no matter the cost and I question whether it would have cost us a 2nd but even if it did, I have a goal in mind for my team, to have one of the best OL's in pro football and if I believe Johnson can be that good, I pull the trigger no matter what.

I would never settle for a workout warrior over substance with the #5 pick, never. Good GM's avoid these types of risks with high picks, yes, they'll gamble later on but never with a top 5 pick. That type of pick is used to bring in a substantial prospect with a high non bust potential who can be a cornerstone of a franchise.

IMO, Mayhew has put this franchise at risk for a slide back into mediocrity, plus he is risking Stafford's health. I cannot justify it even if it should by chance pan out. Championship football teams just don't take those risks ever especially with so much riding on the pick.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:57 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Darius Slay
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:59 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I think we were in an excellent spot to make a trade with Oakland, you have to remember the #5 pick could have been traded again by Oakland for even more extra picks. They also gave Miami a huge discount to pull off the trade.
Your right though, I don't know if we attempted to trade down but I suspect we had already settled on Ansah and didn't care to move.

I'm looking at it from tprospectiveive that we want to be SB champions not just another average team. I make the trade with Oakland no matter the cost and I question whether it would have cost us a 2nd but even if it did, I have a goal in mind for my team, to have one of the best OL's in pro football and if I believe Johnson can be that good, I pull the trigger no matter what.

I would never settle for a workout warrior over substance with the #5 pick, never. Good GM's avoid these types of risks with high picks, yes, they'll gamble later on but never with a top 5 pick. That type of pick is used to bring in a substantial prospect with a high non bust potential who can be a cornerstone of a franchise.

IMO, Mayhew has put this franchise at risk for a slide back into mediocrity, plus he is risking Stafford's health. I cannot justify it even if it should by chance pan out. Championship football teams just don't take those risks ever especially with so much riding on the pick.
Yeah but you can't be this upset over an assumption that we didn't bother making a trade. A 3rd round pick to move up 2 spots in the top 5 is not a real offer IMO. Oakland got a much better deal from Miami considering they got the player they wanted to take.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Darius Slay
I guess were just gonna let Stafford get massacred next season.
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Darius Slay
I don't like it personally. If the plan was to go CB in round 2 we were better off taking Milliner at 5 and Moore or Carradine in the 2nd.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

His knee better be fine, but I like him well enough. I just don't like that we already have enough young corners on the roster. I would rather have just reached for Barrett Jones and not have to sweat, then grab the best falling WR in the 3rd.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

We better trade back up into the second round or something because their is going to be a talent drop off of interior lineman when our third round pick comes around. I would be amazed if someone like Warford drops to our 3rd round pick.

-Bo Schembechler