Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-27-2013, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, we got LaGarette Blount for Jeff Demps and a 7th round pick. I thought Demps would get traded but didn't see this trade coming.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.

Blount will be awesome for you guys, congrats.
kBuc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dear Bill Belichick: Jordan Poyer, please.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kBuc5 View Post
Blount will be awesome for you guys, congrats.
He's going to have to learn how to be useful in the passing game, both as a blocker and a receiver, though.

Just don't expect him to be a short-yardage guy, NE fans. Blount may be big, but short yardage running is not his strong suit.

I'm happy for him, though. I love Doug Martin, but I felt bad for Blount having to watch on the sidelines after what he did in his rookie season. I'm glad he'll be getting another shot, especially when you consider it's with my favorite AFC team.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see them using Blount like they used Lamont Jordan.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:20 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pats just picked Buchanan with the first round 7 pick. I had just predicted that to myself, lol.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
Pats just picked Buchanan with the first round 7 pick. I had just predicted that to myself, lol.
Great value there

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I see them using Blount like they used Lamont Jordan.
I think I see what you did there...

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rutgers guy, shocker. Only know who this guy is too because he has been on Mel's best available list for what seems like forever today.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah he's been on Mel's best available since I think the fourth round. At least since the fifth. I guess that means he's good value.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:05 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember back in the day when the Pats refused to draft linebackers. Now they can't stop.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:25 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Ok should we just mark it down now that BB will sign Rutgers WR Mark Harrison as a UDFA. I mean there's no way that's not going to happen, right?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
Ok should we just mark it down now that BB will sign Rutgers WR Mark Harrison as a UDFA. I mean there's no way that's not going to happen, right?
Why sign Mark Harrison when you can sign Brandon Jones, the other Rutgers CB, and have 3/4 of the Rutgers secondary and a third of their defense from last year. Yes, this actually happened.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:08 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol I think we did sign that corner to get 3/4 of the Rutgers secondary hahaha

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

How does SF get away with drafting Marcus Cooper with the third to the last pick in the draft? The Pats could have had the entire Rutgers secondary. Niners had no right to take our guy!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TJ Moe is a solid UDFA signing....

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

I've been doing a lot of reading up on and studying the players from Rutgers ever since the draft ended today. I went on YouTube and watched cutups of Logan Ryan vs. Arkansas, UCONN, and Virginia Tech. I watched Logan Ryan because he appears to be the biggest name of the three players from Rutgers that the Patriots chose. My reaction after watching the film of him vs. the three opponents I previously listed was that I was very surprised that he was a big name when it came to cornerbacks after the first two rounds in this draft. Here is what I saw.

Against Arkansas he got absolutely owned by Cobi Hamilton and he was personally responsible for two of his touchdowns in that game, both of which were longer than 50 yards. He is awful going backwards, playing press, or keeping up stride for stride with WRs.

He got burned in the UCONN game just like he did in the Arkansas game, but if the UCONN QB was a guy who had more touchdowns than interceptions, a good arm, and a completion percentage above 58% he probably would have gotten burned just as bad as he did in the Arkansas game. Lucky for him though the UCONN QB was probably one of the worst starting QB's in the country this past season.

Against Virginia Tech he gave up the only touchdown the team allowed, and the 19 yard pass that put Virginia Tech at Rutgers' 3 yard line in OT, pretty much guaranteeing Virginia Tech gets at least a FG.

The Rutgers defense blitzed a ton this past year from what I saw and they consistently let Ryan play one on one in those blitzing situations, a lot of the time it seemed like he was being thrown at by the other teams QBs when he was getting one on one with a WR. I mean the UCONN receivers had him beat, the QB just couldn't pass the ball to his wide open receivers. The only positives that I saw was his tackling ability, and his ability to rush from the outside occasionally. But I can't help but think to myself that if this guy couldn't hack it in the Big East playing one on one, what's going to happen to him when he comes to the NFL. I came away more impressed with the other two Rutgers players that the Patriots drafted.

Here I have highlights and lowlights of Logan Ryan and the other players from Rutgers we drafted. The links take you to the play in the video that I am referencing in the link here on this page. In the videos the highlighted player is always going to be Logan Ryan, in links where I reference the other two guys you can identify them buy their number. Beauharnais is 42 and Harmon is 32. Virginia Tech: Uncalled pass interference while playing man to man downfield, Nice wrap up tackle by Logan Ryan, W/ the Rutgers defense out of position and caught off guard by the Va. Tech no huddle, Duron Harmon catches up to a Va. tech WR and knocks the ball loose , Logan Ryan breaks up a pass playing nickel, Penalty because Logan Ryan jumped offsides, Logan Ryan getting beat for a touchdown, Harmon closing, Logan Ryan misses RB in backfield, Harmon comes in at the end, Logan Ryan loses 1-1 matchup with WR UCONN: Logan Ryan gets off of WR block and tackles RB, Logan Ryan bites pretty hard on play action, Steve Beauharnais gets popped by FB, Logan Ryan interception, Nice tackle by Steve Beauharnais, Logan Ryan poor technique when playing press, WR gets free release, Logan Ryan can’t turn his hips fluidly when backpedaling, gets beat, Logan Ryan breaks up pass across the middle, Logan Ryan gets beat playing man to man, followed by replay showing him getting beat to the inside allowing a free release for the WR, Steve Beauharnais is quick off the edge unblocked and forces QB to throw a poor pass, Beauharnais sets up with his hands on the ground, he uses a nice move to move right around RT, and forces QB’s pass, unfortunately Logan Ryan loses jump ball with WR he is covering, Despite an eight yard cushion on 2nd and 19 Logan Ryan is unable to cover the WR
Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After watching alot of tape on Dobson, I can say I reaaaaally really hope we develop this kid because he could be special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yup, but overall I'm still pretty "meh" on this draft. Dobson and especially Collins have amazing potential, whilst Boyce looks pretty talented as well. However, there were just so many other players we could've had whom I'm sure will have better careers. Just so frustrating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Yup, but overall I'm still pretty "meh" on this draft. Dobson and especially Collins have amazing potential, whilst Boyce looks pretty talented as well. However, there were just so many other players we could've had whom I'm sure will have better careers. Just so frustrating...
No I'm certainly with you. I appreciate the approach to go after some boom or bust guys but this draft in general to me is relatively meh. However if was can develop Boyce and Dobson as legitimate starters then I'd say its rather successful based on the fact that we fixed up our biggest need. Really really pray these kids work out. I want that fourth ring for Brady sooo god damn bad.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

New England Scarlet Knights

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Following up on some tape (while I take a break from my endless amount of school work), Jamie Collins really underwhelms. He has no authorative first step and has a tendency to hesitate when reading the play. He doesn't disengage from blockers and often just flat out gets handled by even TEs, which makes me wonder if the versatility of lining up at DE is over emphasized when considered at the pro level. His "coverage" skills look alot like Mayo's, where sure he is around the general area, but only after the guy being covered makes the catch and gains an additional few yards. The guy needs a TON of work to unlock that potential.

At best, I'd say from my scouting report hes Cunningham 2.0 on third down situations. Not the kind of player you pick with your first selection of the draft imo.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Following up on some tape (while I take a break from my endless amount of school work), Jamie Collins really underwhelms. He has no authorative first step and has a tendency to hesitate when reading the play. He doesn't disengage from blockers and often just flat out gets handled by even TEs, which makes me wonder if the versatility of lining up at DE is over emphasized when considered at the pro level. His "coverage" skills look alot like Mayo's, where sure he is around the general area, but only after the guy being covered makes the catch and gains an additional few yards. The guy needs a TON of work to unlock that potential.

At best, I'd say from my scouting report hes Cunningham 2.0 on third down situations. Not the kind of player you pick with your first selection of the draft imo.
Collins is definitely a feast or famine type guy. However, I think if anything he'd be more of a Shawn Crable than a Jermaine Cunningham. Cunningham's problem is that he simply isn't athletic enough to beat his man outright, and he doesn't possess a refined enough game to complete sacks when the opportunity arises. Collins is actually the complete opposite of that. He has the ability to beat his man cleanly, and he finishes well when he gets shots at doing so. The problem is that his motor is so inconsistent, and his game isn't finished enough to beat tackles when his athleticism does not.

However, in the very short term the possibility does exist to play him in a Mark Anderson pre-Carter injury type role. When they're playing tackles with sub-par athleticism like Richardson and Hunter isolate Collins on them with space to roam. Anderson got a lot of sacks that way despite having major holes in his game as well. If Collins wants a bigger role than that he's going to have to earn it. While Ninkovich, Buchanan, Benard, Bequette, Cunningham, and Francis don't set the world on fire, they all have enough to contribute so that Collins will have to earn his snaps.

It was a pick in the 50's, and he's arguably every bit the athlete and as polished as the guy who went at 6 is. I'd much rather go with a guy like Collins who may be unceremoniously released in 2 years than go with a Cunninham or Chung type who gives us 4 years of completely forgettable football, and then we repeat the process 4 years later. If he even turns out to just give us what Anderson or TBC gave us, it at least gives us something that we don't have now.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 04-28-2013 at 02:54 PM.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

While I agree that Crable actually is a better player to compare him to (thank you! haha), beating blockers is not something I can agree with you on. The majority of plays he made in the backround were a large result of his "blocker" not picking him up or Collins got in untouched.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It will never happen, but I do wish there was another authoritative voice in that draft room. Every year, it seems to me we draft essentially the same players - especially the secondary.

There's really no one I'd rather have as coach, but if I had my pick of GMs, it would probably either be Ozzie, Rick Smith or Baalke. It's way too early, but I'm thinking this draft might rival '09 in impact (or lack thereof.)

I'm thinking this might be a down-ish year for us (10-6, +/- 1.) It's a tougher schedule than the past couple years, which might help once play offs start. I hope I'm wrong and these guys turn out to be at least decent depth, but not holding my breath.

Sorry for the negativity.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote