Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Your 2013 Cowboys Draft Grades

Post your grades here!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:28 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

B-/C+ Feel like we got some good players but our biggest needs were OL/DL and we only got 1 guy. We still have 3 out of 5 on our line that are below average. Hopefully we will add a couple in free agency. TE feels like a luxury pick, would rather have gone with a linemen there. I do feel like everyone of these picks will play and contribute a lot, which hasnt always been the case so I do like the players just not sure we addressed our biggest needs.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:32 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a really tough grader so don't be too shocked. Drated 31 in round 1 = C overall. IMO, the defense is still suspect = D, I predict the offense will score pretty well the same amount of points as last year = B.
Not the most exciting draft and I really have to wonder what Jerry's plan is.

I rarely give out any A's in any draft unless you were drafting top 10 and did a solid job or had accumilated multiple picks.

I gave Detroit a C- and Buffalo a D but I did give Cleveland a B, so don't jump all over me for being a tough grader.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:13 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Grading scale: Love, Like, Hate

On the trade:
Obviously wish we could've gotten better value out of moving down from the middle to the end of Round 1. But the worst scenario hit us when we were on the clock at 18. No Cooper, Warmack, Richardson, Star, Vacarro... Even the unnecessary but sexy picks like Austin, Jarvis, and Mingo were gone.

In my mind the 2 most attractive players on the board were Tyler Eifert and Xavier Rhodes... Put a gun to my head and I'm taking Eifert. The idea of Rhodes as a FS was more of an imaginary idea than a sound solution. But neither helped us address our #1 need....interior OL. I'm sure that there were players that tempted Dallas to pick a player at 18. The frustration in the war room made that apparent. I think Jason REALLY wanted Eifert.

This was all Stephen's doing though. If there is credit or blame to go around, then Stephen is the guy to look at. He was asked in the 1st day presser if he could recap how the trade went down and he said he couldn't remember. Ugh.... yeah, right. Well, the San Francisco Chronicle reported that the Niners dealt with Stephen on the trade, so we know he was indeed the mind behind the trade. Ballsy move by Jerruh's son who seems to be transitioning into a more powerful position.

Gotta appreciate the fact that they got the guy they wanted and added a Day 2 pick in the process. With the 19th and 20th picks, 2 Guards were taken earlier than predictions. In those cases, those teams made reaches, but didn't get any compensation for doing so.

Kudos to Stephen for getting the extra pick.
Grade: Like
Old 04-28-2013, 05:38 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After the low value trade, which I think the draft board forced our hand if we didn't like Floyd or Eifert, and then the slight reach IMHO with Frederick I was concerned about the rest of the draft.

Escobar didn't make me feel any better even though I thought we got good value for the luxury selection. It did give me hope that Jason has his creativity back and we'll see a ton of mismatches. Can you imagine a goal-line set with 3 TEs who are all receiving threats? Yikes. Teams will be forced to play goal-line formation only to have their linebackers turned by TEs running seams. That thought made me grin. If Garrett doesn't utilize him properly this quickly goes downhill.

LOVED the value and prospect in Terrance Williams. When Baylor needed a "Dez Bryant" on the scout team guess who they asked? Williams. Hugely productive and IMHO a lock to out-play his draft slot. Super high on this selection.

Wilcox is a project but a high ceiling one. This defense is going to be FAST. With Kiffin's scheme "easier" to learn I imagine we will ask Matt Johnson to stop up this year and Wilcox during the season. We could have a lot of speed and hitting ability in the secondary with these two patrolling.

I won't lie I fist pumped when B-dubs was selected. If he were a few inches taller he would of been a 2nd round pick. I will gladly take the feisty "undersized" cornerback as a future fixture at the nickel.

Randle was a steal. I can't say more he should not have been available. I loved Le'Veon Bell more than any other in this class but no way would I have taken him at 47 compared to Randle at 151. Immense value.

Holloman should fill in nicely as a special teamer and see spot time at SLB. Has the physical tools and instincts to be a starter there.

Overall I think we got a TON of value in the draft aside from night 1. Kiffin/Marinelli telling us early that they were satisfied with the defensive line makes me less uneasy about not taking one however it really puts me on edge that we only selected offensive lineman. Signing Claibo/Winston would erase that complaint as well.

I'd give them a B with a ton of upside. I hate grading drafts this early however. If Escobar/Wilcox turn into what we hope we have the grades jumps to an A. If Wilcox never sees the field (AoA), we misuse Escobar, and Frederick is "just another guy" this draft could be a D. Not saying it has the potential to be a Wade Phillips draft just not one of the ones we expect from Garrett.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 AM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

C, only because we did better later.

Day 1 and 2 looks like Jerry was involved.

Day 3 he was strung out at his Lake House so we did better.

But you can't failed 1 and 2 round and get anything better than a C.

Last edited by BobTheCowboysTroll : 04-28-2013 at 08:33 AM.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 AM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Grading scale: Love, Like, Hate

On the trade:
Obviously wish we could've gotten better value out of moving down from the middle to the end of Round 1. But the worst scenario hit us when we were on the clock at 18. No Cooper, Warmack, Richardson, Star, Vacarro... Even the unnecessary but sexy picks like Austin, Jarvis, and Mingo were gone.

In my mind the 2 most attractive players on the board were Tyler Eifert and Xavier Rhodes... Put a gun to my head and I'm taking Eifert. The idea of Rhodes as a FS was more of an imaginary idea than a sound solution. But neither helped us address our #1 need....interior OL. I'm sure that there were players that tempted Dallas to pick a player at 18. The frustration in the war room made that apparent. I think Jason REALLY wanted Eifert.

This was all Stephen's doing though. If there is credit or blame to go around, then Stephen is the guy to look at.
He was asked in the 1st day presser if he could recap how the trade went down and he said he couldn't remember. Ugh.... yeah, right. Well, the San Francisco Chronicle reported that the Niners dealt with Stephen on the trade, so we know he was indeed the mind behind the trade. Ballsy move by Jerruh's son who seems to be transitioning into a more powerful position.

Gotta appreciate the fact that they got the guy they wanted and added a Day 2 pick in the process. With the 19th and 20th picks, 2 Guards were taken earlier than predictions. In those cases, those teams made reaches, but didn't get any compensation for doing so.

Kudos to Stephen for getting the extra pick.
Grade: Like
You contradict yourself at every turn .... I thought Jason was running the draft? Now it was Stephen? Also, kudos to Stephen for not getting more for the trade down?

Plus all the talk of Offensive Weapons blah blah .... when have we seen Jason properly use or weapons or show creativity or flow in play calling??????

Jason maybe smart but he has no feel for running an Offense and his in game adjustments are downright awful. Like Jerrah, he should have been fired long ago for his "Second job" -- Jerrah GM and Jason OC.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now understanding the big picture, I'm pretty happy about Dallas' draft. We just locked up our franchise QB and this draft was all about protecting him (Frederick) and adding weapons (Williams, Escobar, Randle).

Romo has a really tough time with interior pressure, so it was essential for us to address that early. Everyone wants to kill us for taking Frederick at 31 but this was the same team that trotted out Phil Costa as their starting center in 2011 and Ryan Cook in 2012. And outside of the upgrade he provides as a rock in pass pro, we added one of the best mauling Center prospects in the past 5 years to the worst rushing team in the league in 2012. Was he ideal value at 31? Probably not. But looking at who else was on the board, and the early run on OL, there was a good chance he was gone before our 2nd rounder. We couldn't afford to gamble on that.

So now that Romo has a new best friend at Center, we went ahead and loaded up his options:

WR:
Dez
Miles
Terrance Williams
Dwayne Harris

TE:
Witten
Escobar
Hanna

RB:
Murray
Randle

We now have one of the deepest groups of playmakers in the league, and the personnel to become extremely diverse and multiple within our formations.

Even with doing that, we were able to land some high upside DB prospects in J.J. Wilcox(SS) and B.W. Webb(Slot)... both of whom will have a chance to challenge for serious PT sooner rather than later.

I give us a solid B.

This was one of the better hauls from top to bottom we've had in a while, I see real promise with our top 6 picks and even Holloman is a playmaker from the SEC who should stick as nice depth at Sam. Another nice class to add to our growing young core from the '10,'11, and '12 classes.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 AM    (permalink
DallCowby1
Rookie

DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DallCowby1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The trade: Cowboys wanted out and were willing to take less than what the chart(s) says is even compensation.

I look at the trade.....

49ers get Eric Reid
Cowboys get Travis Frederick and Terrance Williams.

Wait 3 years, then we'll see who got the better end of the deal. While also keeping an eye on the players the Cowboys could have had.......
------------

As for the Draft and a Grade. I'm not going to give a grade, what's the point. I want to see these players go through the off season camps and then training camp. I'll get a better feeling for this group of players in late August/Early September.

Also, the 3 year window and then see where we are.

These guys are Cowboys now, let's play some Football!

Last edited by DallCowby1 : 04-28-2013 at 11:00 AM.
DallCowby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLatJerrahJones View Post
You contradict yourself at every turn .... I thought Jason was running the draft? Now it was Stephen? Also, kudos to Stephen for not getting more for the trade down?

Plus all the talk of Offensive Weapons blah blah .... when have we seen Jason properly use or weapons or show creativity or flow in play calling??????

Jason maybe smart but he has no feel for running an Offense and his in game adjustments are downright awful. Like Jerrah, he should have been fired long ago for his "Second job" -- Jerrah GM and Jason OC.
That's your mistake. I never said Jason ran the draft. It's not a one man operation. I think he picks the players, but it's not a one man show. I always said Jerry works the trades. So I don't know how you could come to the idea that I said that Jason is the only one who runs the draft. It obviously looks like Jerry is turning the trading over to Stephen, but I'm sure he's still involved what's going down.

When I say that the last 2 (now 3) drafts have been Jason's drafts, that's inferring that he is the one picking the players. I think at 18, he would've taken Eifert (just a guess). But I don't think he was all in on the trade down. At 31, he certainly was all smiles when he took Frederick.

Yea, I said kudos to Stephen for pulling off the trade and getting added value. I liked the trade. My only wish is if he could've gotten more. If he had, then I would've loved the trade. I don't know how I'm contradicting anything.

I'll agree with you that Jason isn't the most creative offensive designer and I won't say anything against whether or not you think he should be fired. Personally, I'm ok with him being HC. I just don't like his game management and playcalling. I think Jerry did the right thing to force Jason to get less involved, and Callahan/Romo more involved. I'm looking forward to this upcoming season with Callahan wearing a headset and Romo having a little more involvement in calling plays.

That's no reason to bash the new additions to the offense though. You just like finding ways to complain. If anything, you should be loving the Frederick pick because I know he's the kind of OL that you like. But you can't find it in you to support the Cowboys right? That would just be awkward.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Too early to assign grades yet, but on the whole, I'm in the "Like" camp at the moment. I was a bit dismayed by the Escobar pick, especially since we've been sooo successful with our 2nd round TE picks the last few years (Fasano, Bennett), but we'll see. Witten is getting older and it's good to have depth behind him as well as the potential for mismatches right now. I like our other picks. For some reason I'm most excited about Webb; I'm hopeful for what he can bring in the return game and you can never, never have too many CBs.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
B-/C+ Feel like we got some good players but our biggest needs were OL/DL and we only got 1 guy. We still have 3 out of 5 on our line that are below average. Hopefully we will add a couple in free agency. TE feels like a luxury pick, would rather have gone with a linemen there. I do feel like everyone of these picks will play and contribute a lot, which hasnt always been the case so I do like the players just not sure we addressed our biggest needs.
I thought our biggest needs were OL and S, but even then, we still only got 1 OL. I too was hoping to add another body. If Frederick turns this OL around by himself, he deserves ROY.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:25 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I thought our biggest needs were OL and S, but even then, we still only got 1 OL. I too was hoping to add another body. If Frederick turns this OL around by himself, he deserves ROY.
No, your right, Safety was our #2 need. DL was/is probably #3.

Cyprien, Worford or Fredrick (if still there), Armstead, Moore. This is the kind of draft I would have prefered. More needs are met and IMO with very good players

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Last edited by pocketaces : 04-28-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I'm a really tough grader so don't be too shocked. Drated 31 in round 1 = C overall. IMO, the defense is still suspect = D, I predict the offense will score pretty well the same amount of points as last year = B.
Not the most exciting draft and I really have to wonder what Jerry's plan is.

I rarely give out any A's in any draft unless you were drafting top 10 and did a solid job or had accumilated multiple picks.

I gave Detroit a C- and Buffalo a D but I did give Cleveland a B, so don't jump all over me for being a tough grader.
Beauty of it is no matter what grade you or I decide to give, we can look back to this and see if we were right or wrong.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Overall I think we got a TON of value in the draft aside from night 1. Kiffin/Marinelli telling us early that they were satisfied with the defensive line makes me less uneasy about not taking one however it really puts me on edge that we only selected offensive lineman. Signing Claibo/Winston would erase that complaint as well.

I'd give them a B with a ton of upside. I hate grading drafts this early however. If Escobar/Wilcox turn into what we hope we have the grades jumps to an A. If Wilcox never sees the field (AoA), we misuse Escobar, and Frederick is "just another guy" this draft could be a D. Not saying it has the potential to be a Wade Phillips draft just not one of the ones we expect from Garrett.
Did Kiffin/Marinelli chime in on our draft? I haven't seen that yet.

B seems fair. I also hate grading drafts this early. That's what I'm not doing it. lol. This wasn't the sexiest draft, but I think it still feels very much like a Garrett draft. Hopefully, these guys don't fall apart like Matt Johnson, Danny Coale, Kyle Wilber did.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Now understanding the big picture, I'm pretty happy about Dallas' draft. We just locked up our franchise QB and this draft was all about protecting him (Frederick) and adding weapons (Williams, Escobar, Randle).

Romo has a really tough time with interior pressure, so it was essential for us to address that early. Everyone wants to kill us for taking Frederick at 31 but this was the same team that trotted out Phil Costa as their starting center in 2011 and Ryan Cook in 2012. And outside of the upgrade he provides as a rock in pass pro, we added one of the best mauling Center prospects in the past 5 years to the worst rushing team in the league in 2012. Was he ideal value at 31? Probably not. But looking at who else was on the board, and the early run on OL, there was a good chance he was gone before our 2nd rounder. We couldn't afford to gamble on that.

So now that Romo has a new best friend at Center, we went ahead and loaded up his options:

WR:
Dez
Miles
Terrance Williams
Dwayne Harris

TE:
Witten
Escobar
Hanna

RB:
Murray
Randle

We now have one of the deepest groups of playmakers in the league, and the personnel to become extremely diverse and multiple within our formations.

Even with doing that, we were able to land some high upside DB prospects in J.J. Wilcox(SS) and B.W. Webb(Slot)... both of whom will have a chance to challenge for serious PT sooner rather than later.

I give us a solid B.

This was one of the better hauls from top to bottom we've had in a while, I see real promise with our top 6 picks and even Holloman is a playmaker from the SEC who should stick as nice depth at Sam. Another nice class to add to our growing young core from the '10,'11, and '12 classes.
I like how you see it. I agree from top to bottom this seems to be one of the better hauls we've had. We came into this draft with more needs than we could fill, yet we didn't strictly look at need. The added pick from the trade helped a lot. People seem to want to grade based on how well teams filled their needs, but they also like to grade on whether we took BPA. In our case, I think we had a nice balance of both.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallCowby1 View Post
The trade: Cowboys wanted out and were willing to take less than what the chart(s) says is even compensation.

I look at the trade.....

49ers get Eric Reid
Cowboys get Travis Frederick and Terrance Williams.

Wait 3 years, then we'll see who got the better end of the deal. While also keeping an eye on the players the Cowboys could have had.......
------------

As for the Draft and a Grade. I'm not going to give a grade, what's the point. I want to see these players go through the off season camps and then training camp. I'll get a better feeling for this group of players in late August/Early September.

Also, the 3 year window and then see where we are.

These guys are Cowboys now, let's play some Football!
Woot! Woot! Hell yes, Mr. Join Date: Jan 2005!

I think in 3 years we'll look back on this draft as the best one in Garrett's term as HC.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:56 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Round Player Position College NFL.com Grade
1 (31)Travis Frederick OG/OC Wisconsin 78.7
2 (47)
Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State 79.0
3 (74)
Terrance Williams WR Baylor 83.6
3 (80)
J.J. Wilcox S Georgia Southern 77.0
4 (114)
B.W. Webb CB William & Mary 74.0
5 (151)
Joseph Randle RB Oklahoma State 80.6
6 (185)
DeVonte Holloman LB South Carolina 70.5

NFL.com Rated our entire class as 2nd/3rd round grades.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Grading scale: Love, Really Like, Like, Don't Like, Hate

Round 1: C/G Travis Frederick

I don't think most people will ever get past thinking that this pick was a reach, but the more I look into it, the more I'm learning that this really wasn't a reach. Pauline, "Sources tell me possibly the Indianapolis Colts at pick 24 as the team needs a guard or the Atlanta Falcons at pick 30". Frederick's agent said he had a promise from a team early in Round 2. Calvin Watkins revealed the Cowboys had him rated higher than Pugh and equal to Long. Clarence Hill tweeted that he was #22 on the Cowboys board. While, I didn't have him that high, I'm not too big to recognize that I was wrong about it. Guys like Kiper/Mayock have to stick to their original thoughts because that's what they will be judged on. They can't just change their minds on their rankings when the draft is over and all the post draft info starts to be released... even if they wanted to. But we can if we choose to and I have. New information will do that. I can't sit here and say the Cowboys should've waited till 47 to get him and feel good about that being a real possibility.

BTB had a predraft interview with our very own Scott Wright:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...itions-of-need

Quote:
BTB: I'd like to begin by talking about prospects at each of the Cowboys offensive "need" positions. Lets start with the spot of greatest need: the "big uglies" on the O-line. Lets start at Center. The team has a backlog of guys at center, but the players they have are all journeymen. So, they don't need another one of those; if they choose to address this position via the draft, Dallas will need him to provide an upgrade. Can you give us a list of names of guys who, in your estimation, are plug-and-play types who are ready to start as rookies?

Scott Wright: The cream of the crop is Travis Frederick of Wisconsin, who could also project to guard at the next level. Frederick just happens to be a great fit for Dallas too, although it's probably 50/50 as to whether he makes it to their pick in round two. The other early to mid round talents in the pivot (Barrett Jones of Alabama, Brian Schwenke of Cal and Khaled Holmes of USC) wouldn't be as good of fits for Dallas
The more I'm learning about Frederick the more I'm loving this pick. First Badger to ever start as a true freshman... Broke school record with his 770 pound squat as a Sophomore... Had to be chastised by OL for breaking one teammate's arm and another's wrist in practice... Double Engineering Major... High SATs... High wonderlick...

Former Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema
Quote:
"Travis Frederick is "pound for pound one of the strongest I have ever coached."
Tony Pauline (DraftInsider)
Quote:
"One general manager has referred to Frederick as the best interior run blocking line(man) the draft has witnessed in more than a half-decade"
Russ Lande (NFP)
Quote:
"Clearly, the Cowboys wanted to add a physically dominant interior lineman as that describes Frederick to a tee. He is not a top athlete, but he is a functional player who uses his ability to physically dominate his man at the point of attack to make up for it. Frederick makes it look easy stopping power rushers in their tracks and getting movement on in-line run blocks with surprising ease. He started at guard and center during his career at Wisconsin, so he could start at either spot for Cowboys."
Charles Davis (NFL Network)
Quote:
"One of the bigger centers, in the mold of a Pouncey, but a better technician. Very smart, cerebral kid, playing center at over 300lbs."
Dan Graziano (ESPN)
Quote:
"They needed interior offensive line help more than any team in the NFL needed anything in this entire draft, and this guy is an interior offensive lineman. He can challenge Phil Costa for the center's job or either starting guard for his.

He's a giant -- 6-foot-3⅝, 312 pounds -- and known as a physical presence in the run game. Run blocking might be a higher priority for the Cowboys in their ongoing hunt for line help than pass protection is, since left tackle is the one spot at which they're set and Tony Romo is pretty good at protecting himself and making plays on the run.

Just because Scouts Inc. ranked Warford 53rd and this guy 70th doesn't make the pick ridiculous. You pay your scouts to find guys who fit what you want to do, and then you trust them. All week, everybody told me the Cowboys needed to trust their board, and it appears what happened here was that they didn't have anyone they liked at 18 so they snagged an extra pick and moved down to take a guy they did like. If you think all that's left to you is second-rounders, then why not just start the second round two picks early and add a third-rounder that might help you maneuver into that second round Friday night?"
Louis Bien (SBNation)
Quote:
The Cowboys needed interior offensive linemen, so this was a good fit. While Frederick started as a center last season, he has the versatility to move to guard. With Cowboys center Phil Costa an injury concern, Frederick can step in at center and also provide depth at guard."
Dan Hanzus (NFLcom.)
Quote:
"It's not a flashy move, but Frederick gives Dallas' line much-needed stability. Phil Costa was signed to a two-year extension last month, and he could kick over to right guard, fortifying a trouble spot for the team. Frederick is in line to be a starter, whether that's at center or guard. Remember, the Cowboys just paid massive dollars to keep Tony Romo in Arlington until the end of days. Keeping Romo upright is tantamount. Frederick helps toward that goal."
Jesus Flores (RantSports)
Quote:
"Here’s a kid who holds several Wisconsin weight room records and shows exceptional power when engaged against defensive linemen. At 6-4 340 lbs. Frederick will provide a huge upgrade over incumbent starter Phil Costa and could be used at guard thanks to his versatility.

What I like the most about Frederick is that he’s mean; he’ll knock defensive tackles on their rear end in the run game. He’s not the most fluid offensive lineman, but he will fit head coach Jason Garrett’s power running scheme. I also like that he’s an immovable force in the passing game. His strength and technique will help alleviate the pressure up the gut that quarterback Tony Romo has faced the last few seasons.

Without a doubt the Cowboys needed to upgrade the center position so in my opinion, this is a solid pick. I had Frederick going early in the second round so; this isn’t a reach by any means."
Nick Kroger (The Badger Herald)
Quote:
"The Cowboys used several centers last season but failed to find a consistent rock to anchor the position, giving Frederick a strong chance to start Week 1 over Cowboys’ center Phil Costa. Frederick also started at guard for the majority of his 2011 season at Wisconsin, making him a flexible option for Dallas offensive line coach Bill Callahan. Callahan was the offensive line coach at Wisconsin from 1990-94.

One thing that most scouts agreed on that made Frederick such an appealing pick is his well-documented football IQ. Frederick, who graduated this past fall with a degree in computer engineering, rarely committed mental mistakes in his collegiate career. Scouts also used the term "nasty" to describe Frederick’s tenacity in the trenches."
Here's the ulitmate cop-out... I hear people say, "I don't hate the player, I hate where they took the player."

WTF? Just stop with that. People said Seattle was the laughing stock when they took James Carpenter, Bruce Irvin and even Russell Wilson too early. Now they are talking about Seattle like no matter what they do, they are making good picks. Funny how that works right?

Grade: Love!!!

Last edited by D-Unit : 05-01-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:43 PM    (permalink
igglefanz
Rookie

igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I will say this, after QB having a Center with a good ability to think is a major plus. What i have seen out of Fredrick is a very strong and smart player. The Only concern i really have is he going to be quick enough at this next level to be fully effective and be able to use his strength to his advantage. He appears kinda slow and in the NFL there is a different level of quick and match that with size can expose some of the strongest players ever. Would like to see how he matches up with Suh, Jenkins and Atkins of the world or blitzing linebackers.

The rest of your draft looks solid too overall I would give you guys a solid mid B not a sexy draft but it serves it purpose and even the later round guys may not be starters but can add depth which is needed over a long season will be interested to see how it all turns out as we have to see you 2 times a year lol.
igglefanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

Quote:
That's your mistake. I never said Jason ran the draft. It's not a one man operation. I think he picks the players, but it's not a one man show. I always said Jerry works the trades. So I don't know how you could come to the idea that I said that Jason is the only one who runs the draft. It obviously looks like Jerry is turning the trading over to Stephen, but I'm sure he's still involved what's going down.

When I say that the last 2 (now 3) drafts have been Jason's drafts, that's inferring that he is the one picking the players. I think at 18, he would've taken Eifert (just a guess). But I don't think he was all in on the trade down. At 31, he certainly was all smiles when he took Frederick.

Yea, I said kudos to Stephen for pulling off the trade and getting added value. I liked the trade. My only wish is if he could've gotten more. If he had, then I would've loved the trade. I don't know how I'm contradicting anything.

I'll agree with you that Jason isn't the most creative offensive designer and I won't say anything against whether or not you think he should be fired. Personally, I'm ok with him being HC. I just don't like his game management and playcalling. I think Jerry did the right thing to force Jason to get less involved, and Callahan/Romo more involved. I'm looking forward to this upcoming season with Callahan wearing a headset and Romo having a little more involvement in calling plays.

That's no reason to bash the new additions to the offense though. You just like finding ways to complain. If anything, you should be loving the Frederick pick because I know he's the kind of OL that you like. But you can't find it in you to support the Cowboys right? That would just be awkward.
Whatever dude, stop moving the goal posts. You said Jason ran the drafts. That does not make it a one man show, it means you lead manage and make critical decisions. Now it is Stephen. A few years back you said clearly that Jerrah Jones ran the show.

If you did not contradict your opinions, you clearly moved the goal posts to suit whatever politics you are preaching for that day.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd give it a B. I'd have like to get another OLineman, but if we're going after Clabo, good for us.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLatJerrahJones View Post
Whatever dude, stop moving the goal posts. You said Jason ran the drafts. That does not make it a one man show, it means you lead manage and make critical decisions. Now it is Stephen. A few years back you said clearly that Jerrah Jones ran the show.

If you did not contradict your opinions, you clearly moved the goal posts to suit whatever politics you are preaching for that day.
Then that's just a misinterpretation on your part. Wouldn't be the first time. I've always said that I thought the biggest influence on the players who are chosen falls on Jason (or other HC's in the past like Jimmy and Bill). Are there exceptions, sure, but I think the weight belongs to the HC. I've also always believed that the trading was something that Jerry handled and loved it too.

It's not about moving goal posts... it's about constantly clarifying my words until you understand. But hey, if it makes sense now? Then mission accomplished.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:28 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Grading scale: Love, Really Like, Like, Don't Like, Hate

On Mr. Gavin Escobar:

Initial reaction was "Damnit, I wanted a Safety." Amerson was the apple of my eye and to see him go 4 spots later to the Redskins was irritating, and Swearinger go 10 picks later to the Texans made me yell an expletive.

But I had mentally prepared myself going into this draft with a strong hunch that Garrett would go offensive heavy. ...and if he was... then this was just as good a pick as any. I had hyped myself on the idea that Eifert would've been a great pick for us in Round 1, so getting a TE here didn't throw me off the bridge like it seemed to for others.

There was no OL value at this point. In fact, no other OL was taken after us in this round. For all the cries of reaching 16 spots for Frederick, I imagine the critics would've come out in full force if we reached for another OL. The DT mumblers can't really complain here either. Only Hankins was taken after us in this round and he's not a fit for what Kiffin wants in his "rush men".

So interestingly, the Cowboys found value in a savvy pass catching TE. It was difficult for me to judge this year's crop of TEs. Eifert was heads and shoulders above the next guy, imo. But after him, it gets murky. Some better blockers, some better receivers, some better athletes, but Eifert was the only complete TE and most ready to contribute right away as a #1 TE. When it came to Escobar, his weakness as a blocker had me rate him as the 4th best TE in this class, but if I judged solely on his ability to catch the ball, Escobar was right there with Eifert... Eifert having a very slight edge.

The reason why I like the Escobar pick though is because I think we have FINALLY found a #2 TE that is a real weapon in the passing game. Bennett was a complete flop. Phillips was strictly a blocker. Hanna is mostly a developmental TE and still learning to improve as a receiver. Escobar is a legit weapon. No team in the league utilizes their TEs better than the Patriots and I have grand imaginations that we will be able to put together some drives that look similar to what they do.

Did we get value? I think I can be honest in saying yes. Ertz had been taken early by the Eagles and McDonald went shortly after Escobar had gone. I know Kelce has his fans here, but I don't think they saw us taking him in Round 2.

Is this a backup player? HELL NO. Escobar should turn out to be a nice storyline this year as our offense is able to add a new dimension with his addition. He's gonna give Safeties a fit with his length and sure hands...and I mean his hands are CLUTCH. Does this fill a need? Well, has redzone offense been a need for us? HELL YES. But Escobar is way more than a big target possession receiving TE. He can run any route on the TE route tree. If Escobar is successful in catching passes his way, then he definitely fits a need.

Grade: Really Like

Last edited by D-Unit : 05-01-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed D. Can you imagine the 1 WR - 3 TE sets we like to run? You can't defend against us anymore. Flex Escobar/Hanna outside and some poor corner is going to get dominated physically. Run any of them up the seam and a linebacker is going to get run by. And considering this is a "rushing" formation you could always hand the ball to Murray and have a big WR (Dez), good blocking TE (Witten), and two larger "WRs" (Hanna and Escobar) who can solo linebackers.

If Garrett plays his cards right there is no way teams should be able to camp on any one situation. Having Miles back in the slot and kicking Williams out wide should also scare teams given the size/speed on the outside we'll have in addition to not being able to be physical on Miles.

I remember being unhappy when he was picking but then the thoughts of "13" formations (1 WR - 3 TEs) popped into my head and a smile went across my face. It also opens up the potential for additional salary cap savings if we need Vicker's cap or roster spot given the potentially reduced role of a FB in the offense.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote