Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
From what I've seen from Emery so far I like his smaller moves (late draft picks, signing vets on 1-year deals) more than I do the bigger ones (1st round picks, Jermon Bushrod). That said, in total I think he's done an adequate job of addressing some of our bigger needs.

1) Offensive line was still totally incapable of protecting Cutler last year. So far they've brought in 5 new offensive lineman to add to a group of Garza, Webb, Carimi, James Brown, and Ed Williams. At most you'd think they would keep 9 offensive lineman, maybe 8, so it's nice to add to the competition.

2) Addressed the elephant in the room by gently nudging Urlacher out the door. That's never easy to do, and I think he did a nice job of not letting his end play out in the media. It's a business. That gives me hope that he'll be able to handle the Cutler situation next year with the same amount of skill.

3) In addition with the linebacker position I think he made the right move in letting Roach walk for that money, bringing in two stop-gap starters, and drafting their replacements for 2014. This is assuming, of course, that Bostic and Greene pan out, but still. This also gives us more depth at linebacker for 2013 than we had for 2012.

4) I think everyone loves the Martellus Bennett signing.

5) Marc Trestman is an odd signing, and I can't really get over the fact that a guy who basically got turned down for my sad Gophers football job is now the coach of the Chicago Bears, but I do think Emery made the correct decision to go from a defensive obsessed guy to a quarterback guru. It's obviously the way of the NFL now.

So, we'll see, I don't like either of his 1st round picks, and I'm not convinced Trestman has the chops to be an NFL head coach, but I can at least see and appreciate most of what Emery is trying to do. If nothing else the offense should be more fun to watch this year at least.
You don't want to re-sign Cutler?
Old 04-29-2013, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Mr. X
Rookie

Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.Mr. X could make a wolverine purr.

I was wondering the same thing.
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I read it differently. It seems he wants Cutler for the right price. I do not want him signed for an Eli-esque deal.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Ballard is leaving for a promotion with the Chiefs.

God help us.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With training camp underway, are we making a 2013 general discussion thread?
MidwayMonster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:48 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I honestly don't know yet. For 8-10 million a year, sure. For something closer to 15-20 mil? I would say no right now, but I'm fine with letting him earn it this year.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I honestly don't know yet. For 8-10 million a year, sure. For something closer to 15-20 mil? I would say no right now, but I'm fine with letting him earn it this year.
There's no way he gets 8-10 mill a year. I think this is a serious problem that franchises are making, they're overpaying for quarterbacks. It's like any FA qb who's decent deserves to be the highest paid player in the league just bc. It's a horrible business plan.

I think Cutler does need to have a big year this year to earn the 20 million he's gonna get in FA. But he's gonna get 20 mill one way or another. Someone is gonna pay him that much.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There's no way he gets 8-10 mill a year. I think this is a serious problem that franchises are making, they're overpaying for quarterbacks. It's like any FA qb who's decent deserves to be the highest paid player in the league just bc. It's a horrible business plan.

I think Cutler does need to have a big year this year to earn the 20 million he's gonna get in FA. But he's gonna get 20 mill one way or another. Someone is gonna pay him that much.
That's fine. If he does great this year he's worth it. If not, let the Cardinals or Buccaneers overpay for him and we can start the rebuild.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
That's fine. If he does great this year he's worth it. If not, let the Cardinals or Buccaneers overpay for him and we can start the rebuild.
I think Cutler has the Jets written all over him if he becomes a FA. I think he does well enough to get extended though. The Bears are probably a season away from going into rebuilding mode though so maybe they're better off letting him walk anyway or trading him.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:32 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, this article on Emery was put on Grantland today. Not sure how I feel about Emery still, but a lot of the things pointed out certainly make me want to believe he has the organization headed in the right direction, so I guess we'll see how CFL-South goes this season.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ger-philosophy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

The only redeeming thing that I like about Emery/Trestman is that they are clearly nerds in a sport that is still largely run by ex-players (I realize Trestman did play in the NFL, but you'd never know it by looking at or talking to the guy)

If the nerd revolution is to occur in football as it has in baseball, I want to be at the vanguard.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
The only redeeming thing that I like about Emery/Trestman is that they are clearly nerds in a sport that is still largely run by ex-players (I realize Trestman did play in the NFL, but you'd never know it by looking at or talking to the guy)

If the nerd revolution is to occur in football as it has in baseball, I want to be at the vanguard.
I use this explanation to my friends every now and then when they wonder why there are so many idiots in football.

I simply tell them, remember that idiot jock you used to know in high school? He's a football coach somewhere now.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we're probably still a decade away from a true nerd revolution in football, but that guy in SF (I think his name is Marathe) has quietly been blazing the trail for a while now. The big payoff will go to the teams who get in early.

Last edited by WCH : 08-09-2013 at 01:51 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:54 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's only preseason, but it's still troubling that the Bears gave up seven sacks. :/
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:58 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
It's only preseason, but it's still troubling that the Bears gave up seven sacks. :/
Most were on Blanchard though right? Wasn't it 5 sacks for 42yrds?

How did he look btw? Was at work and missed the game. Stat line looked good besides the sacks and int. I've been interested in seeing him play since he went to Whitewater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Watching the replay on NFL Network. Here are some 1st quarter thoughts.

-Line is getting beat on both ends, which obviously isn't a great sign. Newton had plenty of time to throw when he was in. Then again that's without Peppers, Wooton, or much of Melton.

-On offense, Jermon Bushrod in particular looked bad. Hopefully that's just a preseason thing, but that's a huge investment for someone who looks very mediocre.

-James Anderson got beat badly by Greg Olsen on the PI. I guess you'll have that with a TE like Olsen, but along with a missed tackle I wasn't very impressed by him.

-Nate Collins had a nice play with a TFL loss on a run. Khaseem Greene looked like a solid prospect as well.

-Great play on the INT td by Bostic. The pick itself was nice, but his awareness to immediately turn and return the ball was a savvy move.

-Offense was obviously super vanilla so not much to decipher from that.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 08-11-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:30 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The offensive line has shown a lot of improvement over the last few weeks. I have some reservations about having two rookies on the same side of the line, but they have shown that they are the best guys for the job. The defense is still going to be a strength going into this year. The D-line has a lot to work with.
MidwayMonster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:23 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any thoughts on Martellus Bennett? He seemed to be completely irrelevant all preseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are 2-0 and our board is silent? Come on guys!

Anyone have any idea how we will be cap space wise after the season?

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:11 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsfan123 View Post
We are 2-0 and our board is silent? Come on guys!

Anyone have any idea how we will be cap space wise after the season?
I found something that said the Bears have about $89 committed to 46 players in 2014. That is the second lowest amount. We'll need it. Cutler and Melton need to be resigned. We have no corners. Marshall and Peppers could be restructured if even more money is needed. But it looks good.

Also, I'm ready to eat crow on the Bennett signing. I hated it when it happened and after the preseason I hated it even more because he was invisible. But he has been a great red zone guy for Cutler.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 09-19-2013, 09:54 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I found something that said the Bears have about $89 committed to 46 players in 2014. That is the second lowest amount. We'll need it. Cutler and Melton need to be resigned. We have no corners. Marshall and Peppers could be restructured if even more money is needed. But it looks good.

Also, I'm ready to eat crow on the Bennett signing. I hated it when it happened and after the preseason I hated it even more because he was invisible. But he has been a great red zone guy for Cutler.
We need to cut Peppers. Great guy but he needs to take a $15mil pay cut for next season just to make the team. No way we can pay him the $18mil or whatever he is going to make.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:25 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

13.9 million next year and 16.5 in 2015. I don't know if we'll have to cut him. But if it is between resigning Melton or Cutler and dropping Peppers, I'm dropping Peppers.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 09-19-2013, 11:13 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Cap space shouldn't be an issue, but we would save 12 million off the cap by cutting Peppers.

The real question is if he's worth the 13.9 mil he's due in base salary next season at the age of 34. My guess is probably no, but I doubt he was ever going to see the last two years of his contract anyway.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Excellent! I was thinking about Jeremy Maclin. Since I doubt we will have the luxury of drafting a WR, and we have need of a speed receiver, I wonder what deal it would take to sign him.

As for right now.

I'm still trying to understand this team. Our offense is still wildly inconsistent. Our defense hasn't shown much and Tillman's age is definately worrying. I'm hoping today verse the Steelers we show more consistency on offense and show some more pressure on D.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Melton is out for the year with a torn ACL. Awesome!

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote: