04-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Join Date: Apr 2006
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
From what I've seen from Emery so far I like his smaller moves (late draft picks, signing vets on 1-year deals) more than I do the bigger ones (1st round picks, Jermon Bushrod). That said, in total I think he's done an adequate job of addressing some of our bigger needs.
1) Offensive line was still totally incapable of protecting Cutler last year. So far they've brought in 5 new offensive lineman to add to a group of Garza, Webb, Carimi, James Brown, and Ed Williams. At most you'd think they would keep 9 offensive lineman, maybe 8, so it's nice to add to the competition.
2) Addressed the elephant in the room by gently nudging Urlacher out the door. That's never easy to do, and I think he did a nice job of not letting his end play out in the media. It's a business. That gives me hope that he'll be able to handle the Cutler situation next year with the same amount of skill.
3) In addition with the linebacker position I think he made the right move in letting Roach walk for that money, bringing in two stop-gap starters, and drafting their replacements for 2014. This is assuming, of course, that Bostic and Greene pan out, but still. This also gives us more depth at linebacker for 2013 than we had for 2012.
4) I think everyone loves the Martellus Bennett signing.
5) Marc Trestman is an odd signing, and I can't really get over the fact that a guy who basically got turned down for my sad Gophers football job is now the coach of the Chicago Bears, but I do think Emery made the correct decision to go from a defensive obsessed guy to a quarterback guru. It's obviously the way of the NFL now.
So, we'll see, I don't like either of his 1st round picks, and I'm not convinced Trestman has the chops to be an NFL head coach, but I can at least see and appreciate most of what Emery is trying to do. If nothing else the offense should be more fun to watch this year at least.
You don't want to re-sign Cutler?
Football is stupid.
Basketball is stupid.
Sports are stupid.