Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:47 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
It's time for the Jets to completely move on from Sanchez. They released Tebow today and Sanchez should be next.

A change of scenery won't do anything for him. He'll never win a starting QB job in camp/preseason. His mental makeup in too fragile and it's gotten worse over time.

As for the 2013 QB situation for the Jets, I'm hoping we give the job to Garrard to start the season. Geno isn't ready and the supporting cast is lackluster. Let Garrard take all the bumps. What's everyone thoughts on that?
Play Geno from day 1. You need to know if he's Russell Wilson or Blaine Gabbert. The more games you give him the better. And bc he's a 2nd round pick, if he's a dud, that doesn't prevent you from getting another qb next year like how Carolina did with Clausen and Cam.

So find out if he's your guy this year, and then if he is, great, if he's not, you had 16 games to know that and move on with no regrets.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember watching the draft and when the Jets officially took Geno, the ESPN morons were saying how this is perfect for Geno because he can sit and learn for a year. Learn what and from who? Either put him on the field right now or keep him as far away from the Sanchize as humanly possible if you really want your franchise to succeed. Even if Sanchez could have anything to help Geno, something tells me he is not going to handle this well.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:00 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First you cut Sanchez. He's a mess and doesn't have a future with the Jets. May as well get rid of him now and start a fresh. Go into training camp with Garrard and Geno in a "open camp battle" even though you know Geno is gonna be the starter day 1. Say Geno won the battle and that he's the better QB and roll with him.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Shhhhh, Iamcanadian and all the Sanchez apologists are all right. Whatever keeps Sanchez starting for the Jets I am all for it.

In all seriousness though, he is awful. This shouldn't be news. I hope they keep him forever.

I agree the guy's great (hint hint keep him in NY)
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
robert pancake gallery
Veteran

robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sanchez and tebow should take their "qb controversy" to the arena football league.

robert pancake gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just thought I'd say this, but if I were a good team with an established QB, I wouldn't mind bringing in Sanchez as a backup.

If you are GB, NE, SF or somewhere like that it makes sense to bring a guy like Sanchez in and do some developing on the bench. I see a lot of fixable flaws in Sanchez's game. Maybe he's not smart enough to fix them, but if I were a coach I would want to try.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Patriots bringing in Sanchez would be worth it just for the 2 times we play the Jets in 2013. Then we could show the buttfumble tape for two whole weeks with Sanchez in the room. Even if it left us unprepared for the game it would still be worth it.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mark Sanchez should get a special display in Canton for introducing the term 'buttfumble' to the game of football.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:36 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sanchez is just bad. It has been a bad environment for a while there though. The targets aren't great and that running game is poor.

Geno hopefully will get a little chance to sit because he will struggle big time as well if thrown into that mess.

I wish they would have just gone full Tebow for the second half of last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:43 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I just thought I'd say this, but if I were a good team with an established QB, I wouldn't mind bringing in Sanchez as a backup.

If you are GB, NE, SF or somewhere like that it makes sense to bring a guy like Sanchez in and do some developing on the bench. I see a lot of fixable flaws in Sanchez's game. Maybe he's not smart enough to fix them, but if I were a coach I would want to try.
I'd take him in GB. There's less than a 0% chance of him being worse than Graham Harrell.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't slander Alex Smith

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...on-percentage/

And 'game managing' is the majority of what being a QB is.

The great QBs are great because they do the managing and then a bit more on top of that.
The NFL isn't a Madden video game or backyard football were it is 4 downs to score and you usually do.

Sanchez has consistently been inconsistent.

At the end of 2011 he imploded with the 10 turnovers in the last 3 games.
2012 he sucked. Pitiful QB rating.

25 and 26 year old seasons for Alex Smith with an incompetent coach and others Alex Smith was competent putting up average numbers.

Even 22 year old Smith didn't embarrass himself.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:38 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert pancake gallery View Post
sanchez and tebow should take their "qb controversy" to the arena football league.
Don't you have to be able to pass in the arena league?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I think they did kind of just leave him to his own devices. He needed someone to teach him how to be a QB year-round rather than just when you're obligated to do it. He regressed because defenses figured him out, and he never adjusted or got better. I liked Sanchez coming out. More than Stafford. He's still had more success than Stafford.

He just has that Matt Leinart in him where he just doesn't really want to put the work in that it takes to be really good. He'll either be good by osmosis, or whatever.
That's a bunch of ********. Even throwing his insanely stupid side arm passes, Stafford is better than Sanchez could even dream of being.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Sanchez got a raw deal in New York and he wasn't the only one. He took the team to the playoffs his first 2 seasons and what was his reward, Ryan spent the draft on defense and more defense, and worst yet, they failed to resign a # of FA's on the offensive side of the ball leaving Sanchez with zero weapons to work with, then they brought in Tebow to sell merchandise and allowed every Tom, Dick, and Harry to criticize Sanchez.

Given that enviroment, I'm surprised Sanchez won a game. I'd really like to see him get a 2nd chance with a team that has some weapons, not saying he'll be great but I think he could be a passible starter in this league.
They might as well release him because whoever starts at QB for the Jets will need a lot of luck to win 2 or 3 games. After all, this is an organization that dumped its best player in his prime and people think this organization has a clue about what it is doing.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post

SD could be an ok fit for him. It's about as far as possible from NY, close to home, and there is a solid QB infrastructure in place in McCoy, Reich and Rivers. As awful as his career has turned out to be so far I'd still want him over Whitehurst as a backup.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I think Sanchez got a raw deal in New York and he wasn't the only one. He took the team to the playoffs his first 2 seasons and what was his reward, Ryan spent the draft on defense and more defense, and worst yet, they failed to resign a # of FA's on the offensive side of the ball leaving Sanchez with zero weapons to work with, then they brought in Tebow to sell merchandise and allowed every Tom, Dick, and Harry to criticize Sanchez.

Given that enviroment, I'm surprised Sanchez won a game. I'd really like to see him get a 2nd chance with a team that has some weapons, not saying he'll be great but I think he could be a passible starter in this league.
They might as well release him because whoever starts at QB for the Jets will need a lot of luck to win 2 or 3 games. After all, this is an organization that dumped its best player in his prime and people think this organization has a clue about what it is doing.
Sanchez is damaged goods, so I don't see him going anywhere else to be a starter or even have a realistic chance of starting.

You can make an argument that the Jets really screwed themselves in this situation but you cannot absolve all the blame from Sanchez. And it's not like he played on a team with 11 first rounders on defense and UDFAs on offense.

D'Brick, Mangold, Holmes, Keller were all first round picks (Holmes by Pittsburgh).
Hill, Greene were second day picks.

The Jets have enough high picks on offense to be good, but they were really bad at drafting during that time. Stephen Hill was always going to be raw but he was expected to contribute. Greene had no burst at all. Vladimir Ducasse is a bust. Holmes and Keller were hurt but neither guy is a game changer.

The Jets put enough resources into their offense for it to at least be solid, however they done it badly. In saying that, the Patriots have had horrendous stretches of drafts yet are still winning the division year in year out. Every team goes through periods of bad player acquisition however it is all on the HC and QB to ensure they stay good. The Packers draft last year wasn't full of impact players, yet they were still a very good team. I agree with some of the other posters here who said that Sanchez knew his weapons weren't good and played down to them instead of having the ability to elevate their games

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Last edited by AntoinCD : 04-30-2013 at 03:48 AM.
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVisor View Post
Don't slander Alex Smith

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...on-percentage/

And 'game managing' is the majority of what being a QB is.

The great QBs are great because they do the managing and then a bit more on top of that.
The NFL isn't a Madden video game or backyard football were it is 4 downs to score and you usually do.

Sanchez has consistently been inconsistent.

At the end of 2011 he imploded with the 10 turnovers in the last 3 games.
2012 he sucked. Pitiful QB rating.

25 and 26 year old seasons for Alex Smith with an incompetent coach and others Alex Smith was competent putting up average numbers.

Even 22 year old Smith didn't embarrass himself.
Alex Smith and Mark Sanchez are both equally awful. Get over it. (We need an Orth face for the phrase IE the guy fired from microsoft. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get the Smith - Sanchez comparisons. Smith is obviously a more competent qb than Sanchez. I don't even think it's close.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's the thing about Mark Sanchez. I believe he works hard. Maybe not Peyton Manning, but he wasn't a lazy guy. Coming into this season, he clearly worked on his overall strength to help with his deep balls. He did improve physically, but mentally he needs work. He makes terrible decisions with the ball. He misses open guys and forces it when he doesn't have to. This might be corrected by getting out of New York and sitting for a few years, but I doubt it. It is very rare for a quaterback to just morph from being a remarkably poor decision maker into a good one. Maybe with a good offensive coordinator in the right situation, he can be league average, but he is not a franchise qb.

Everyone is talking about his lack of weapons, lets keep in mind that the crappiness of his weapons could be a result of his poor play. Keep in mind he had Santonio, Keller,a solid running game, and a decent O-line for a few years (not really last year) and couldn't do much and still turned the ball over.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:50 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Play Geno from day 1. You need to know if he's Russell Wilson or Blaine Gabbert. The more games you give him the better. And bc he's a 2nd round pick, if he's a dud, that doesn't prevent you from getting another qb next year like how Carolina did with Clausen and Cam.

So find out if he's your guy this year, and then if he is, great, if he's not, you had 16 games to know that and move on with no regrets.
That would be a terrible move IMO. Play Garrard unless he gives you a reason not to. Let Geno practice for a full season behind a veteran QB learning from a veteran offensive coordinator.

Then next year, get him some options in the passing game and start him. I'd rather see us develop him for too long than ruin him by playing him immediately.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
I don't get the Smith - Sanchez comparisons. Smith is obviously a more competent qb than Sanchez. I don't even think it's close.
Shhh you need to brush up on your instigating skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:58 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That would be a terrible move IMO. Play Garrard unless he gives you a reason not to. Let Geno practice for a full season behind a veteran QB learning from a veteran offensive coordinator.

Then next year, get him some options in the passing game and start him. I'd rather see us develop him for too long than ruin him by playing him immediately.
But you have to find out this year if Geno is the guy. You can't afford to sit him. Bc what if you're in position to get a qb next year? Do you pass on him bc of the unknown that is Geno Smith? You only invested a 2nd round pick in him, it's not a crime to get another qb next year if Geno is a dud.

But the only way to find that out is by playing him. You gotta play him so you know if he's the guy.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
But you have to find out this year if Geno is the guy. You can't afford to sit him. Bc what if you're in position to get a qb next year? Do you pass on him bc of the unknown that is Geno Smith? You only invested a 2nd round pick in him, it's not a crime to get another qb next year if Geno is a dud.

But the only way to find that out is by playing him. You gotta play him so you know if he's the guy.
I definitely see where you're coming from, and I agree with it to an extent.

Obviously the Jets aren't a Super Bowl contender, but they still have to put the best product on the field to start the season. My guess would be that Garrard gives them the best chance to win.

Once they get eliminated from playoff contention, then I would be okay with Geno playing. The last 5 games are by far the easiest on our schedule, so it could be a nice launching point for his career. There's no need to throw him into the fire at the beginning of the season when the fans still have hope, and therefore will be more likely to do classic Jets fans activities (boo our team unmercifully).
Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are a few main issues with Sanchez IMO, physical limitations, struggles handling the pass rush, and poor decision making. His work ethic doesn't seem to be that bad, and the surrounding players over his career here were reasonably good up until last season with all of the injuries (and even then, it's not like they didn't try to provide a good supporting cast).

The physical limitations are easiest to describe obviously. His arm is okay and his accuracy is inconsistent. But the arm is not nearly good enough to allow him to get away with making bad decisions. And I think he struggles some with the winds in the Meadowlands with his arm as well.

At least to me, Sanchez has a lot of issues with handling the pass rush. He tends to hold the ball too long/not feel the rush which leads to more sacks than it would otherwise. The Jets' pass protection problems are overstated because of those two things, and I think with a better QB they're actually an above average pass protecting front in the league. His ball security is awful which leads to a lot of fumbles when the rush gets to him as well. He tends to fade away from hits when the rush gets to him as he's throwing the ball. And not an issue handling the rush persay, but he gets a ton of balls batted down at the line of scrimmage.

Decision making kind of breaks down into two areas. One is issues reading coverage, and another is his lack of willingness to push the ball downfield. In terms of reading coverage, he makes way too many throws into double or triple coverage that get picked off or just misses a corner. The issue that bothers me the most and I think is the Jets' fault with Sanchez is the fact that he's always checking the ball down. The main problem with this is if he makes a throw downfield, the risk is that he's going to get picked off and the potential reward is a big play if his receiver makes a play on the ball. When he makes bad throws on checkdowns, the ball either gets taken the other way (likely for 6) or the receiver gets tackled for a short gain. And because defenses know he's gun shy about throwing downfield they jump more short routes too and generally are able to be more aggressive while keeping the ball in front of him. And I'm not sure if this was the way Sanchez was coming out of college, but I would imagine that the Jets having such a good team around him and basically just asking him not to lose games his first couple seasons in the league led to that issue with decision making. I think that's where they really messed him up, parts of the rest of it could have been improved with better coaching but I think the lot of it is on him.

As for Geno, play the better QB IMO. He's definitely raw in a few areas and needs to clean up footwork. If Garrard is better, play him, and if the team sucks enough that you've got a chance to draft a QB high, throw Geno in midseason and see what he's got. I think it's kind of moot because odds are Sanchez gets cut and Garrard can't stay healthy so Geno's likely starting anyway, but still.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I definitely see where you're coming from, and I agree with it to an extent.

Obviously the Jets aren't a Super Bowl contender, but they still have to put the best product on the field to start the season. My guess would be that Garrard gives them the best chance to win.

Once they get eliminated from playoff contention, then I would be okay with Geno playing. The last 5 games are by far the easiest on our schedule, so it could be a nice launching point for his career. There's no need to throw him into the fire at the beginning of the season when the fans still have hope, and therefore will be more likely to do classic Jets fans activities (boo our team unmercifully).
You need at least 10 games to judge him. Bc the first 5 games he can look great, but once teams figure out his tendencies, you want to see if he can adjust to that.

Typically with developing quarterbacks, they can look great for 5 games, then they hit a 3 game period where they look awful bc teams adjusted to them and exposed them, THEN after that, you want to see development. Can they bounce back? Can they adjust to the adjustments? Can they continue to develop?

Do they improve throughout the game? Are they making the same mistakes in the 4th quarter that they did in the 1st? Etc etc etc.

You can't see all of that in 5 games. You need at least 10. Really more like 12 or 13. That's why I think you have to start him. I mean, if Tanny can do it and Cam can do it why can't Geno?