Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Why do people automatically see a role for the Amendolas and Wes Welkers of the world, but have a hard time imagining how guys like De'Anthony Thomas and Tavon Austin fit in the NFL???

BTW, in hindsight Reggie Bush should have entered the NFL as WR.
My issue is that, in spite of the extra athleticism, Thomas and Austin fill the same role as a Welker or Amendola.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:10 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
TheBow is going to get a massive movement in his pants when he sees that pic.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
I wouldn't say that, and I love Dri Archer (put my fantasy team on his back). I actually think he's faster by bit, but he doesn't have the same short area quickness as De'Anthony, open field moves, or strength (which is really underrated). They're comparable, similar to Chipotle and Moe's.
Agree to disagree. I think Dri is quite a bit better in open field and generally more elusive. Mamba is more of a linear, straight line athlete who doesn't have the quite the same level of 'wiggle' in space as Dri. I will agree that Mamba is stronger and better at breaking tackles.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:42 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thomas >>>> Austin

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Thomas >>>> Austin
This.................

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 04-30-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wouldn't say that, and I love Dri Archer (put my fantasy team on his back). I actually think he's faster by bit, but he doesn't have the same short area quickness as De'Anthony, open field moves, or strength (which is really underrated). They're comparable, similar to Chipotle and Moe's.
I'd agree with this. Archer doesn't have a short stride. He's very much a long strider (track style runner). Weak COD and very little wiggle. He can flat out run people, but if he can't, he's kind of done. He has to stop too much and then re-accelerate to change directions.

Thomas has more of a natural shorter stride (for football) and has more wiggle and better open field moves because of it. Less top speed, though.

Archer is a KR at the next level. Thomas is closer to Austin (but not really that close).

Quote:
Thomas >>>> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
This.................
No. Just no.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I'd agree with this. Archer doesn't have a short stride. He's very much a long strider (track style runner). Weak COD and very little wiggle. He can flat out run people, but if he can't, he's kind of done. He has to stop too much and then re-accelerate to change directions.

Thomas has more of a natural shorter stride (for football) and has more wiggle and better open field moves because of it. Less top speed, though.

Archer is a KR at the next level. Thomas is closer to Austin (but not really that close).

No. Just no.

Coming from the guy who probably won't get in...

Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a big of a fan as everyone else seems to be. I mean I see the skills but I don't see the Darren Sproles comparison at all. I think he'll be a top 64 selection, but not a top 10 or close to it.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:21 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thomas >>>> Austin
(Really not trying to be the Mamba hater because I'm not but...)

Other than nothing, what is it Thomas does better than Austin as a football player?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:26 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just like Thomas more with the ball in his hands. He's a freak and was only a true sophomore.

Statistically, Austin 99/1144/11 offensively combined in his first two years at West Virginia. Thomas has logged 238/2346/32 thus far at Oregon. Thomas has yet to even be the primary weapon on that team, as he has been playing behind upperclassman Heisman hopefuls. Thomas also already has four return touchdowns on less than seventy returns (Austin with five on 98 total).

Thomas should put up huge numbers this season.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:34 AM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I just like Thomas more with the ball in his hands. He's a freak and was only a true sophomore.

Statistically, Austin 99/1144/11 offensively combined in his first two years at West Virginia. Thomas has logged 238/2346/32 thus far at Oregon. Thomas has yet to even be the primary weapon on that team, as he has been playing behind upperclassman Heisman hopefuls. Thomas also already has four return touchdowns on less than seventy returns (Austin with five on 98 total).

our offense was awful austin's 1st 2 years

it was a joke really

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:36 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

It's really just the eyeball test for me. I've liked Thomas since he was being recruited.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

This is what I'm trying to say the whole time. He needs more carries and Recs.

Also Thomas better be watching how Austin does. Because if Austin comes out and kills it in the NFL... Thomas will shoot up in ranks. If Austin falls on he face GM's will look at a guy like Thomas will a closed mind.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post

Other than nothing, what is it Thomas does better than Austin as a football player?
Mamba Hater!

As for what does Mamba do better? He's a better returner. He's better in the open field, he's better out of the backfield, he's more elusive, he's harder to bring down, and he's more physical/tough.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Mamba Hater!

As for what does Mamba do better? He's a better returner. He's better in the open field, he's better out of the backfield, he's more elusive, he's harder to bring down, and he's more physical/tough.
Again, I insist I'm not a Mamba hater and could see him going in the 1st but your ridiculously over the top praise of him might be turning me into one. Maybe you got your rose-colored glasses on with him because he's an LA guy but he's simply not as good as you're making him out to be. He's more elusive and is a better open-field runner than Tavon? Well there is no truth to that statement at all and you know it. You might be able to argue a push at best on the other one's. Might. And it would probably be a pretty weak argument at that.

Let's not forget that there was talk about moving DAT to CB as they had some injuries and because he wasn't really much of an impact player for them on offense down the stretch. There's little doubt that if you put Tavon in Oregon's offense, he would have been a more productive and more impactful player.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:45 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't seen De'Anthony play.

But does he have the same moves like a Reggie Bush, that stop start ability, stop change direction and hit 100 mph again, make a cut on the dime and never lose stride?

Actually since Reggie has anyone come close to him as a prospect?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Nobody since Bush has been on his level as far as elusiveness. Mamba is faster though.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:53 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:55 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Again, I insist I'm not a Mamba hater and could see him going in the 1st but your ridiculously over the top praise of him might be turning me into one. Maybe you got your rose-colored glasses on with him because he's an LA guy but he's simply not as good as you're making him out to be. He's more elusive and is a better open-field runner than Tavon? Well there is no truth to that statement at all and you know it. You might be able to argue a push at best on the other one's. Might. And it would probably be a pretty weak argument at that.

Let's not forget that there was talk about moving DAT to CB as they had some injuries and because he wasn't really much of an impact player for them on offense down the stretch. There's little doubt that if you put Tavon in Oregon's offense, he would have been a more productive and more impactful player.
...Mamba Hater.

Quote:
He's more elusive and is a better open-field runner than Tavon? Well there is no truth to that statement at all and you know it.
Watch both of their film/highlights/tape and tell me Tavon changes direction, stops and starts, break tackles, displays open field moves, and runs as creatively as De'Anthony. Yes, these are attributes that you can measure with your eyes.

I can name things that Tavon does better, but you didn't ask me that...did you?

Quote:

1. UO was a great team with or without De'Anthony. They blew out almost everybody they faced last year. Most games were ended early, and starters sat for quarters because of it. He was not their focal point, and they didn't need to force feed him. Tavon played on a struggling team that needed contributions from him all day long just not to lose and get blown out. He played a lot of snaps because of it.

2. De'Anthony can play corner...that's not a negative, that's an indication of both his talent and skill.

3. Who knows what Tavon would do in UO's system (or what De'Anthony would do in WVU's system). Statistically De'Anthony has a greater chance of getting in the endzone per touch, so I'll leave you to ponder that.

I only have cardinal tinted shades for one player, and that player is Marqise Lee.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Mamba >>> Austin

Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Score touchdowns
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
My issue is that, in spite of the extra athleticism, Thomas and Austin fill the same role as a Welker or Amendola.
Why is it that you see Thomas and Austin as a slot receiver only? Because of their size? It certainly isn't lack of speed, which would be the biggest reason why Amendola and Welker would have difficulty outside. It really doesn't matter how big you are if you can get 5 yards of separation downfield the way DeSean Jackson does.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
I'm not a big of a fan as everyone else seems to be. I mean I see the skills but I don't see the Darren Sproles comparison at all. I think he'll be a top 64 selection, but not a top 10 or close to it.
Yeah, but midseason you and I were both talking about Austin as a possible early 2nd rounder, and look where his stock went. When it's all said and done, teams will give a high pick to the guy they believe will be a great playmaker, even if he has shortcomings, as long as they see him as a football player and not just an athlete. Dion Jordan is a prime example of that. He is not nearly as polished as a lot of the other 3-4 OLB's in this draft, but his ceiling is cathedral. So is Thomas's.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think it's physically possible for De'Anthony Thomas to be a better open field runner than Tavon Austin. If it were, Thomas would have scored TDs nearly every time he touched the football.

I'll give Thomas the benefit of the doubt and say they're about equal as runners.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can see he is a track runner by they way he takes off once he gets in the open.

But with enough traffic, he can be knocked off balance and slowed down. Top 15 pick, with the tools and speed he offers.