Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 04-28-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone know why we took 2 projects at WR instead of a kicker?
Was Crosby NOT our worst starting player last year?
I hate that guy for what he's done to us.
He's been a choke in his career, and now last year he was flatout horseshit.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Franklin is underrated. He's more than strong enough to be a featured running back and run up the middle. It's hard to bring him down with his mix of power and elusiveness. On talent alone I have Franklin rated higher than Lacy, but I liked what Lacy brought to our offense considering we already had Harris. Both is great though, so i'm not complaining.
I definitely agree that Franklin was underrated.

Also, we'll see about Lacys durability. I didn't realize his toe injury was such a big deal (I mean it didn't seem to affect him last year!)

I can't wait to see how Jones plays. He's not quite the athlete that JJ Watts is but I feel like we could use him in a very similar way. If Perry comes back strong we could have a very good front seven to go with a great secondary. I don't think we're as far off being a top shelf defense as people think. Then again, our depth scares me so injuries could derail that.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It'll be interesting to see what shape Nick Perry comes back in. I'm hoping he can get a little lighter, because leading up to the draft he was putting on weight thinking that he was going to be a 4-3 DE. Being smaller and more agile will hopefully allow him to be a more effective whilst pass rushing from outside linebacker.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Those 2 UCLA guys are great additions.
Great, perfect fits.

I think Franklin is better all-around than Lacy, but Lacy will be the banger, get the short-yardage we need.

Datone is phenomenal for our scheme. Just perfect.

And all 3 of those guys are good dudes, high character, no Pac Man or Honey Badger or Dez Bryant criminal-element.

I don't know about the rest of guys though and I WISH that we would have taken Hopkins, or Sturgis, instead of both of the project WR's.

Crosby has NEVER been clutch except his first game ever in the 2007 opener.
And last year, he officially became terrible.
Was he playing injured? Never seen that before for a placekicker as an excuse for a terrible season like that. I hate that guy. He finally makes one or two in a row, and he gets a free pass for some reason.
These days, kickers should make 9 out of 10 they attempt under 50 yards.
He's a joke.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:06 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Posted this in the draft grade thread:

Quote:
1.26) DE Datone Jones, UCLA - A
I said before the draft he would win DROY, so this isn't me just being a homer. I think he he's a steal at 26. In our particular defense he'll need to add a bit of weight, because a lot of the time he's going to be inside at DT in our nickel defense, but wherever he plays he's going to be a force. Great athleticism for a guy his size, played really well at the senior bowl and he has the college production you would look for from his senior season. Don't think there is anyone I would've preferred for us at that pick with who was left on the board.

2.29) RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama - B
Like this pick a little less now that we have Johnathan Franklin and I worry about his injury history, but if he manages to stay healthy I think he's going to be a big difference maker for our offense. Good pass protector and can catch the ball out of the backfield well, but I like this pick because of how big and powerful he is. He'll transform our running game, making it worthwhile, which will make us a more balanced offense and will massively help Aaron Rodgers.

4.12) OL David Bakhtiari, Colarado - C+
Okay with this pick, don't love it; don't hate it. Versatile offensive lineman that could start at RT for us if Bryan Bulaga is moved to LT. Sometimes struggles against speed and doesn't have great length, which is why I think he's better suited on the right side, but gets good push in the run game and is a decent enough athlete to play against LDE's in the NFL. Could be a LT in our scheme, however.

4.25) OL JC Tretter, Cornell - C
Another versatile offensive lineman. Former tight end, so he's an above average athlete. Similar to Bakhtiari in that I think he's not suited for LT because of his length, but again, in our scheme it wouldn't be the worst thing. Wouldn't be shocked if we tried both of the lineman we picked at C and if one of them can stick and start there this season that would be a big bonus.

4.28) RB Johnathan Franklin, UCLA - B+
With the Lacy pick running back wasn't really a need, but I love the value here which I why I give it a high B. I had Franklin rated higher than Lacy and together I think we drafted 2 of the 3 best running backs in this class. I love his power, elusiveness and play making ability, which will make the camp battle between the two very interesting. I also love our commitment to the running game; it should relive some of the pressure off of Aaron Rodgers and help him become even more efficient and effective. If we didn't pick Lacy this would've been an A+.

5.26) CB Micah Hyde, Iowa - B+
One of my favorite players in this draft, I think Hyde is going to be a really solid player, whether at safety or cornerback. He has the ability to play both at a high level; his coverage abilities are underrated and his range, tackling and ball skills are all very good. We've said we're going to try him at CB, which makes sense when you think that Tramon Williams could very well be gone next season.

5.34) DT Josh Boyd, Mississippi State - C-
Kind of reminds me of the Jerel Worthy pick we made last year. He has a good, quick burst, but I think he's a better fit in a 4-3 defense, because of his short arms and less than ideal length. If he's going to make an impact it might be if he puts on some weight and plays the nose, because we could use some depth there with Raji's contract coming up and Pickett soon to be on his way out.

6.25) OLB Nate Palmer, Illinois State - ??
Know next to nothing about this kid, other than that he transferred from Illinois due to lack of playing time and that he has good measurables (1.58 10yd split; 35 vertical; 10'5 broad; 3.98 3-cone). He would've been a "top performer" in all of those drills at the combine. Obviously TT saw something in him and thinks Kevin Greene can get those measurables and mold him into a decent outside pass rusher. I like taking risks on high potential guys in the later rounds.

7.10) WR Charles Johnson, Grand Valley State - ??
Another guy I know nothing about other than measurables and what I saw on a highlight video. From a measurable stand point this guy is perfect. 6'2 height; 4.39 forty; 11-1 broad jump; 39' vertical. From what TT has said and the short video i've seen, he doesn't really look that raw either. He has soft hands, isn't a body catcher and is a decent route runner. High potential guy that I have no problem with us taking a chance on.

7.18) WR Kevin Dorsey, Maryland - ??
Two receivers in a row that I know nothing about. Learning about him now it seems like he could've been a little bit of a sleeper. Had zero production in his senior season because of a mess at the QB position for Maryland, but he has good measurables and TT obviously likes him. I'm guessing one of the two receivers we drafted will go on to make the roster and do what Jarrett Boykin is currently doing.

7.26) LB Sam Barrington, USF - ??
Ted Thompson definitely likes these guys no one has heard of. His combine numbers make him look like a nothing athlete, but his pro day numbers make him look like an athletic playmaker. I'll wait and see on which one is a true reflection of him as a player. I guess it's good that we're picking up late round picks in the positions that are easier to find late round players. Receiver and Inside Linebacker are two of those positions.

Overall: B+
I love the direction that this draft is taking our team. We're getting physical on offense with Lacy and physical on defense with Datone Jones. Also Ssome nice value picks with Franklin and Hyde. The late round guys all have potential, which is something I would look for in those late round flyer types. Very solid draft overall and we get some players that will make an immediate impact.

RIP themaninblack
Old 04-28-2013, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just want to mention that anyone who hasn't watched the Senior Bowl practice tape on Jones or his interviews should do so. This was his first year in a 3-4 and he was dominant. He's a fantastic character guy who wants to be the best. Not good, but the best. And really, he fits exactly what we need; a big, athletic player with versatility inside and out in a 3-4 who will play the run very well with discipline and also brings loads of pass rush.

He's a completely different 3-4 DE than we have now. Much more in the mold of JJ Watts than anyone we have. He's a disruptor and playmaker from the position and I'd be surprised if we don't end up playing a lot more 3-4 fronts this year to take advantage of that (I think his ability as a 5 tech is slightly better than what he brings as a 3 tech, if just because he'll see less double teams from that spot and I think his speed/moves combination is more valuable at 5 tech to start then his hands/power combo at 3 tech.)

Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Both the UCLA guys seemed like great kids. Well at least from what I could tell from youtube interviews and the conference calls.

RIP themaninblack

Last edited by SuperPacker : 04-28-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lacy was on his way back to Alabama on Friday night and the Packers called as soon as Lacy turned his phone back on.

Quote:
"I was actually on an airplane and as soon as I landed, like literally as soon as the wheels touched the ground, I turned my phone back on and when the service came back in, they were calling me," Lacy told reporters who cover the Packers.
Could this be the reason for the trade down? Did they originally call "to make sure he's still alive" while his phone was turned off?
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Franklin is so awesome.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...201174171.html

RIP themaninblack
Old 04-28-2013, 08:42 PM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just got back from camping. First thing I saw was three trade downs and one trade up to get Franklin, who I LOVE. Nothing like getting ten picks and getting the best RB in the college ranks and a guy who will push him and be available for that third down and long conversion while Lacy hammers away at 3rd and 1. A couple athletic tackles, and some D-linemen and more pass rush. Toss in the two WR unknowns to replace Jennings, with the Johnson kid from Grand Valley looking pretty impressive with production and triangle numbers. Look forward to watching some footage!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great picks in Datone Jones, Eddie Lacy, and Jonathan Franklin. Bakhtiari looks real good to me, and Tretter has the size and athleticism worth taking a shot in the 4th. OL depth is Rodger's best friend. Don't know or like the later picks, although with the Pack's track record those receivers will be dynamic.

B.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:25 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Evaluating the Packers draft....

Danone Jones - He was a real solid selection in the first round. I was hopeful for Sylvester Williams but Jones is a great second option and he will undoubtedly bolster the defensive line, which needs a penetrating force in the worst way. Grade: A

Eddie Lacy - There's no denying Lacy's talent when he's healthy and playing. When evaluating the running back prospects he's at the top in terms of ability but when you factor in the lingering hamstring issues and the overall health issues he battled at Alabama then there becomes concerns on how he'll translate into the physically demanding NFL. I know he'll be around in September and October but I want a player who will be around in January when we really need him and I can't confidently say we will see that from Lacy (see Ahmad Bradshaw). Grade: B

David Bakhtiari - David was one of my favorite sleeper prospects at the tackle position in this draft and I am hopeful that he'll get a shot to prove himself at left tackle before he's kicked instead, possibly to guard. When you're able to land a versatile and accomplished player like this in the fourth round then it's a huge plus for the football team. Grade: A

JC Tretter - Much like the case with Bakhtiari being brought in, Tretter is a lineman who will come in with versatility and will have a chance to help the team at multiple positions. My best guess is that the Ivy League kid will be groomed as a center given his intelligence and athletic ability. I expect him to be a starter in 2014. Grade: A-

Johnathan Franklin: Franklin was my number one running back in this class so when we landed him at this point in the draft I was excited. Franklin is an experienced three down back who can provide a pass catcher out of the backfield and also has the ability to pick up blitzes. He also hasn't battled injuries during his collegiate career like Lacy. If I were to project each back's role in the offense, I'd say Franklin will be the lead guy between the twenties and Lacy will be the horse inside the red zone. Grade: A+

Day Three summary: Micah Hyde is projected as a corner by the staff currently but I see him as a player who will ultimately end up as a safety and I feel he could actually thrive there. Josh Boyd had a chance this year to possibly push himself into Day Two this year but he had an underwhelming season for the Mississippi State defense. He is a big body though and worth a gamble at that point in the draft. Palmer, Johnson, Barrington and Dorsey are all physically impressive athletes with question marks, obviously, and the coaches will see if they are able to mold these abilities into guys who can contribute. Grade: C

Overall draft grade: A/B

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post

David Bakhtiari - David was one of my favorite sleeper prospects at the tackle position in this draft and I am hopeful that he'll get a shot to prove himself at left tackle before he's kicked instead, possibly to guard. When you're able to land a versatile and accomplished player like this in the fourth round then it's a huge plus for the football team. Grade: A
Agreed, I think there is a lot of questioning out there due to what Mayock was saying about him (saying LT feet, but more of a RT/Guard). I think he is a LT, and he might be our starter come the 4th or 5th game of the season. Sadly, I see Newhouse being the opening day starter given his experience and the fact that we are playing the 49ers.

Also, I am coming around on the Sam Barrington pick as well. He must've been nervous/dinged up at the combine or something, as he drastically improved his numbers at his pro day.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:

JC Tretter - Much like the case with Bakhtiari being brought in, Tretter is a lineman who will come in with versatility and will have a chance to help the team at multiple positions. My best guess is that the Ivy League kid will be groomed as a center given his intelligence and athletic ability. I expect him to be a starter in 2014. Grade: A-
Holy Optimism Batman!!!!
If either of those guys get an A grade, either 1 year from now, 2, 3, or 4 years from now, then we're gonna be in some more Super Bowls.

Do you really think Bakhti can be a good NFL left tackle? I have serious doubts there.
And Tretter? I don't know about him either.... perhaps he can upgrade EDS at center, but I don't see him improving any of the other 4 positions in the near or distant future.

I hope you're proven to be right there!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
\
Do you really think Bakhti can be a good NFL left tackle? I have serious doubts there.
And Tretter? I don't know about him either.... perhaps he can upgrade EDS at center, but I don't see him improving any of the other 4 positions in the near or distant future.

I hope you're proven to be right there!
Bakhtiari was my 6th rated offensive tackle in this draft and I am confident he can excel as a left tackle. He needs to hit the weights hard though. Tretter was my #11 OG and he showed well at the Senior Bowl. I like the Cornell connection because I feel he'll be able to make a quick transition to center and all the necessities that come with playing that position.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:13 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Bakhtiari was my 6th rated offensive tackle in this draft and I am confident he can excel as a left tackle. He needs to hit the weights hard though. Tretter was my #11 OG and he showed well at the Senior Bowl. I like the Cornell connection because I feel he'll be able to make a quick transition to center and all the necessities that come with playing that position.
I hope you're right, will come back to this bookmarked page 24 down the road, hopefully to praise you.

I worry a lot depends on our OL coaching staff.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Why must we blame everything on the coaching?

When you have Marshall Newhouse, Jeff Saturday and Don Barclay all starting, can you really be surprised when the offensive line sucks? The OLine sucked because they players sucked. It's as simple as that.

RIP themaninblack
Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Bakhtiari, but hate typing his name out....

If he was on a team that did anything over his career, he would have been a very high pick. He should have gone in round 2.

Overall draft grade - A
I think we played the draft smart this year and got great value. Jones, Lacy, Franklin all figure to get decent playing time this year. My only negative is not taking a chance on Reid Fragel in the 7th round. I was kind of upset about not drafting Jesse Williams as well, but we did draft Boyd who is a big strong guy as well.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
When you have Marshall Newhouse, Jeff Saturday and Don Barclay all starting, can you really be surprised when the offensive line sucks? The OLine sucked because they players sucked. It's as simple as that.
I wouldn't hate on Don Barclay too much. He had his struggles initially starting but he became a powerful run blocker for us and his pass protection improved. And as we view to become a more balanced offense, I like Barclay's fit at right tackle more than Bryan Bulaga.

I'm more optimistic about our offensive line this year because we'll have good camp battles. Bakhtiari and Newhouse will face off for left tackle (maybe Bulaga will be added to the mix as well), Dietrich-Smith and Tretter will compete against each other for the center spot, and Bulaga and Barclay will be in competition for the right tackle spot. A consolation prize of all the competition means we will have much better depth than last season as well.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
... and Bulaga and Barclay will be in competition for the right tackle spot..
If healthy enough to play, I see no chance in hell Barclay beats out Bulaga.
If they like Barc enough that they think he's a strength at RT, they will move Bulaga to LT.
Then when, if ever, Sherrod gets healthy, he can compete for a starting spot.
Remember, Teddy invested back to back #1 picks on Bulaga and Sherrod. That was supposed to be a bookend pair of OT's to protect the Franchise for a decade.
The Niners big high picks Iupati, Davis (and Staley) have made that offense great. How bout this year our guys get and stay healthy on the OL, and they see what it's like to lose TWO #1 picks on the OL.
And a 1st round LB too. Give them that.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I wouldn't hate on Don Barclay too much. He had his struggles initially starting but he became a powerful run blocker for us and his pass protection improved. And as we view to become a more balanced offense, I like Barclay's fit at right tackle more than Bryan Bulaga.

I'm more optimistic about our offensive line this year because we'll have good camp battles. Bakhtiari and Newhouse will face off for left tackle (maybe Bulaga will be added to the mix as well), Dietrich-Smith and Tretter will compete against each other for the center spot, and Bulaga and Barclay will be in competition for the right tackle spot. A consolation prize of all the competition means we will have much better depth than last season as well.
We're still a pass first team and always will be. I'd always go with the better pass protectors.

RIP themaninblack
Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
We're still a pass first team and always will be. I'd always go with the better pass protectors.
I don't think Barclay is far off, if at all, from Bulaga in terms of pass protection

Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barclay was really improving from week to week. Ideally, Bulaga can handle LT and Barclay takes the reigns at RT. Still, EDS at center sucks. Don't think Tretter will beat him out for that spot in his rookie year, but who knows
Old 05-01-2013, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Barclay was really improving from week to week. Ideally, Bulaga can handle LT and Barclay takes the reigns at RT. Still, EDS at center sucks. Don't think Tretter will beat him out for that spot in his rookie year, but who knows
I definitely think Bulaga at LT and Barclay at RT is the most ideal fit with what we have right now. I like a healthy Sherrod better at LT but that's obviously a HUGE question mark and he's got to be super rusty.

I think EDS is getting a little too much hate on here. He's still new to the C position and a full offseason there could significantly help him. I wouldn't be shocked if he was a completely decent starter this year.

Also, to whomever said that we should go pass protectors first, I completely disagree. This team has been one dimensional the last few years and teams figured it out. We NEED to establish a running game or our offense will get completely stymied at times. If someone is a great run blocker and an average pass blocker, I'd rather have them than a good pass blocker and terrible run blocker.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
A)I definitely think Bulaga at LT and Barclay at RT is the most ideal fit with what we have right now. I like a healthy Sherrod better at LT but that's obviously a HUGE question mark and he's got to be super rusty.

B) I think EDS is getting a little too much hate on here. He's still new to the C position and a full offseason there could significantly help him. I wouldn't be shocked if he was a completely decent starter this year.

C) Also, to whomever said that we should go pass protectors first, I completely disagree. This team has been one dimensional the last few years and teams figured it out. We NEED to establish a running game or our offense will get completely stymied at times. If someone is a great run blocker and an average pass blocker, I'd rather have them than a good pass blocker and terrible run blocker.
A) Agree.
B) Agree.
C) Umm.... If they have us figured out, it's amazing Rodgers still did better than any other QB last year.
I Agree for the O-linemen, that great-average is better than good-terrible.
But good-good is best.
I think Bulaga, Lang, EDS, Sitton, Barcs can be that good-good combo.