Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-29-2013, 07:54 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Spadola as well. Unfortunately never got to see him play live since I haven't been to a Lehigh game in a while (used to go annually, my dad's an alum), but he was highly productive in college despite mediocre QB at the tail end of his career and has the measurables you look for as well.

The UDFA class isn't particularly flashy, but the back end of the Jets' roster is weak enough that I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of these guys make the team. Think at WR both Spadola and Rogers have a legit shot and I think at least one of them makes the team, could see at least one if not both of TE's (Pantale, Shanahan) also. Freeman could make it as a backup center although with all of those guards they drafted he seems like a practice squad guy. Miles at safety seems like another logical candidate since that's a very thin position and he should at least be a practice squad guy. Davis could surprise at OLB also.

Camp's going to be very interesting this year. So many open spots. Realistically there's probably one OLB spot open but maybe two, same at safety. There's going to be legit competition for one starting corner spot, semi-competition at ILB, and the DL is deep but one 5-tech spot and the NT spot are kind of up for grabs. Then we've got no clue at one WR spot, TE, both guard spots frankly (Colon probably starts and probably gets hurt at some point), Ivory is likely the starting RB but has that far from locked up, FB there's going to be a battle for a roster spot, and obviously QB. Going to be a crazy few months.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CONTRACT UPDATE: Turns out that RB Chris Ivory signed a three-year, $6 million contract, including a $2.25 million signing bonus. His cap number this year will be $1.5 million. RG Stephen Peterman signed a one-year, $905,000 contract, including a $65,000 signing bonus.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/

Even better. :D
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully Ivory stays healthy. I was hoping the trade from him would be a 5th, but he's still extremely talented. Could work out very well. Great contract.

Apparently Coples may be used in more of an edge role with the addition of Richardson. Will be interested to see if that works out. Obviously a front of Wilkerson-Ellis-Richardson with Coples at OLB would be filthy if he's capable of playing there.

He's got the straight line speed to pull it off but his change of direction and explosiveness numbers are fairly terrible for an OLB. On the other hand those numbers were at a 284 whereas most comparison points worked out in the mid 260's or less, and the Jets' OLB's haven't exactly been the most explosive over the years.

My real concern is he just seems to be more comfortable/productive as an interior pass rusher. But if they can pull it off...
Old 05-01-2013, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Coples can make the transition...

what I want to see is if the Jets sadly fall to say like a 2-8 type of record...how hard does Coples play to play out the season in non-competitive games? That will be the true test as to what Coples will be if we're in such a situation.
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get it. I would have never thought of Coples outside. I dont know how it is gonna work out though. Coples in coverage though? Seems weird to me.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I would imagine Coples wouldn't spend too much time dropping into coverage. His lateral quickness dropping into coverage and the fact that he seemed more comfortable as an interior player are my two main concerns, but obviously Rex Ryan knows defense quite a bit better than I do and spent plenty of time around Coples last year.

It seems like they've been preparing for this for a while too. Didn't show as much interest in OLB's and showed a lot of interest in defensive linemen, and now we know why.

Hopefully they let him know early on and he's been dropping weight since then. Obviously he'd look a lot more fluid at 270 than in the mid 280's where he worked out at the combine or up at 290 where I believe he played last year. It'll be interesting to see how this works out. If it does, should be very beneficial for the pass rush.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm perfectly okay with this. From what I gathered, this is definitely a part time thing. It adds more flexibility to our front 7, which Rex loves.

I got this quote from GGN:

Quote:
Dunbar said that he would remain Coples' position coach and indicated that it is not a full time thing.
I expect to see Coples on the line in obvious passing downs when we bring out 4 down linemen. I doubt we see him dropping back in coverage when he's standing up in the 3-4. I'm definitely interested to see his first step off the snap while standing. Our front 7 has the potential to be disruptive for a long time.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:33 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Jets end up creating exotic fronts where Offenses aren't sure where guys are going to line up and there is pressure coming from all different ways, then great. If they are just moving Coples out of a sense of necessity because they hope it can work out, I'm a little troubled. If he comes in lighter and quicker, and doesn't get caught in coverage much it can work really well. My concern is that we have no linebacker that is good in coverage. However, a great pass rush can cover for a lot of crap.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I know TJB did a piece on Coples standing up prior to this stuff coming out. There's a clip of him standing up against the Titans, he looked relatively comfortable and I believe hit Locker around when he released the ball.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Even with the loss of Revis, this defense may end up being better than it has been in a while. Ryan has never generated a consistent pass rush, and this could be the year that he has enough athletes to pull it off. Wilkerson is a guy I have liked since seeing him play (knew nothing about him when he was taken). If coples takes the step forward like many pass rushers have in their second, kenrick ellis plays well,and a few rookies can make a bit of an impact, the secondary doesn't collapse with untested safeties and no revis ( i know he was out last year, but Cro isn't necessarily gonna be great again this year), the D could be really scary for opposing offenses. Obviously there are tons of ifs because there is no track record for most of these guys. However, at worst, if you throw enough **** to the wall, something is going to stick. There is no way the infusion of young talent to the defense over the last few years won't yield some positive results.

I have faith in Rex Ryan as a defensive mind, so I think he will be able to put together something good with all these young athletic guys that the team has been lacking for years. How pathetic is it that Calvin Pace has been our best pass rusher in the Ryan years?

Last edited by josh07039 : 05-02-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Even with the loss of Revis, this defense may end up being better than it has been in a while. Ryan has never generated a consistent pass rush, and this could be the year that he has enough athletes to pull it off. Wilkerson is a guy I have liked since seeing him play (knew nothing about him when he was taken). If coples takes the step forward like many pass rushers have in their second, kenrick ellis plays well,and a few rookies can make a bit of an impact, the secondary doesn't collapse with untested safeties and no revis ( i know he was out last year, but Cro isn't necessarily gonna be great again this year), the D could be really scary for opposing offenses. Obviously there are tons of ifs because there is no track record for most of these guys. However, at worst, if you throw enough **** to the wall, something is going to stick. There is no way the infusion of young talent to the defense over the last few years won't yield some positive results.

I have faith in Rex Ryan as a defensive mind, so I think he will be able to put together something good with all these young athletic guys that the team has been lacking for years. How pathetic is it that Calvin Pace has been our best pass rusher in the Ryan years?
My issue with the whole drafting Richardson to play DE and moving Coples to OLB is that Coples has always been a better interior rusher and when he moved to the outside during his senior year he was not as effective. Nevermind the fact that he'll be asked to drop into coverage occasionally now (*gasp*).

I do think that our defense will legitimately be better than it was last year, considering we didn't even have Revis for 14/16 games, and we've gotten a lot younger and faster with guys like Barnes replacing Thomas, Davis replacing Scott, Richardson replacing Devito, etc etc.

On a side note, I think last year Wilkerson and Coples were our best rushers, year before that was Maybin, and before that Shaun Ellis was definitely our best source of pressure. Pace has been our starter at weak-side edge rusher throughout the Ryan years, but I don't think there was any point where he was our best rusher. Just for clarification =)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
My issue with the whole drafting Richardson to play DE and moving Coples to OLB is that Coples has always been a better interior rusher and when he moved to the outside during his senior year he was not as effective. Nevermind the fact that he'll be asked to drop into coverage occasionally now (*gasp*).

I do think that our defense will legitimately be better than it was last year, considering we didn't even have Revis for 14/16 games, and we've gotten a lot younger and faster with guys like Barnes replacing Thomas, Davis replacing Scott, Richardson replacing Devito, etc etc.

On a side note, I think last year Wilkerson and Coples were our best rushers, year before that was Maybin, and before that Shaun Ellis was definitely our best source of pressure. Pace has been our starter at weak-side edge rusher throughout the Ryan years, but I don't think there was any point where he was our best rusher. Just for clarification =)
Since Ellis didn't stick with the team for the whole time, and Coples and Wilkerson are newer, I am giving it to Pace because he has been among the team leaders if not the team leader in sacks in all the ryan years basically.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets exploring Cribbs and Lloyd? Interesting. I'd expect them to be short term / cheaper contracts, but could provide some value and help this season...

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
Jets exploring Cribbs and Lloyd? Interesting. I'd expect them to be short term / cheaper contracts, but could provide some value and help this season...
Its interesting how many pretty good guys are still free agents that will probably be had for low money at some point. I'm not talking for the Jets, because I doubt it, but as an example Kerry rhodes being a free agent is a little crazy to me. Hes still a good player and a better safety than many teams have startging.

Last edited by josh07039 : 05-08-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I appreciate them kicking the tires on players, particularly at a weaker position. However, Cribbs isn't too much of an offensive player at this point and the Jets have decent return guys. And Lloyd could provide decent depth, but he's a pure possession guy right now (not going to offer much after the catch which is a WCO staple) and wasn't that productive last year on a far better offense than the Jets will have this year. Insurance against Holmes being dinged up/Hill not developing, but if not and they're worse than expected that's a #4 WR who won't play on specials.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When Joe McKnight was quoted the other day saying, "They're going to have to kill me to take my spot", it looks like Goodson took it to heart.

This sucks:

"News 12 New Jersey reports Jets RB Mike Goodson was arrested for marijuana and weapons possession early Friday morning.
According to News 12 New Jersey, Goodson and a companion were "found intoxicated in an SUV" along a Denville, NJ highway. Goodson was reportedly so drunk that he had to be taken to the hospital. His gun was loaded with hollow point bullets. Goodson was a passenger in the vehicle. The driver has been charged with DUI. Goodson is facing serious charges, perhaps even the kind that could imperil a reserve running back's roster spot. At the very least, he'll be facing a suspension if found guilty."
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:38 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From what I read, they claimed the gun was the drivers. So maybe he only gets suspended, not cut. End of the day, this is an unfortunate situation. I expected him to be a great 3rd down back for us.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who said that weapon charge is serious? cops? media?

Hollow point bullets can be had as long as you meet the specification of gun law in Jersey. I am pretty sure that California and Jersey gun laws are different so there may be some misunderstandings. Still carrying gun requires great responsibility and Goodson had plenty of time to follow up the laws.

A drunk dude carrying a loaded gun is Big NO NO in anywhere. I guess he does not care about starting job opportunity for Jets.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

To be fair to Goodson, there hasn't been enough information released.

We know that Goodson drank way too much, smoked/had some marijuana, and got into the car with his designated driver (who apparently didn't take that role too seriously) while there was a gun in the car. Sounds bad, but at least he wasn't driving.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Maybe goodson should retire for a while like ronaldo mcclain so he can "get his life in order." Not sure why its so hard to stop getting arrested, but apparently its harder than it looks.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:01 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Maybe goodson should retire for a while like ronaldo mcclain so he can "get his life in order." Not sure why its so hard to stop getting arrested, but apparently its harder than it looks.

If it wasn't that hard then we wouldn't have homeless people. Friendship and society still are too powerful for some people to survive okay.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Whoever said about Sanchez' situation needs to go.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

PFF's top 101 based off the 2012 season

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...the-full-list/

Mo Wilkerson #14
Cro #33
Brandon Moore #78

I'm surprised to see Moore on there
Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'm surprised Moore doesn't have a job anywhere.

Am I just a homer or do you guys also think the Jets probably won't be one of the 3-5 worst teams in the league next year?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I'm surprised Moore doesn't have a job anywhere.

Am I just a homer or do you guys also think the Jets probably won't be one of the 3-5 worst teams in the league next year?

I'm going to need to see more of what the offense is about before I can confidently say that. Because of their defense though, I could very well see that happening. With that, I'm pulling for Geno to win out the job over Sanchez. I think he will bring a different attitude(and obviously skill set) to the offense.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote