Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How often do you have to go to Boston? That's a 4 hour drive isn't it?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Very true. My girlfriend from MD admits it. She loves how in NJ people in the left lane get out of the way when you come up on them from behind. In Maryland people just hangout in the left lane.

Also Connecticut is the worst traffic state in the country. I've never not sat in traffic in that state.
Yeah, there is no denying that. Our highway and road system is atrocious. Plus, we're like a conduit for two massive cities (Boston/NY) so a lot of people who work there live here and have to travel.

I often wonder if we revamped our highways and road infrastructure how many billions and billions of dollars would be saved because of no traffic, less gas used, etc.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
How often do you have to go to Boston? That's a 4 hour drive isn't it?
I usually go once every 2 or 3 months because I have family up there. 4 hours is usually what we do it in but that's speeding the whole way. It's probably about 4.5 normal.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Well I have to get Boston somehow. Plane and train are not worth it.
Planes and trains are also tough when you're on the FBI watch list.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I usually go once every 2 or 3 months because I have family up there. 4 hours is usually what we do it in but that's speeding the whole way. It's probably about 4.5 normal.
Oh then the train is so not worth it for you.

I really wish America had bullet trains like Japan. That would make transportation and the ability to commute long distance to work an actual possibility.

Imagine being able to take a bullet to Chicago in 2 hours? It would completely change how we do business in this country.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha, bullet trains would be amazing, although Japan is on a much smaller scale than the U.S. so I'm not certain how that would impact building them. Sadly the lack of quality infrastructure in this country makes life far more difficult.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Planes and trains are also tough when you're on the FBI watch list.
You're on the watch list? Lol
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

It's probably because he likes Notre Dame.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:56 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Haha, bullet trains would be amazing, although Japan is on a much smaller scale than the U.S. so I'm not certain how that would impact building them. Sadly the lack of quality infrastructure in this country makes life far more difficult.
And we don't have the money to invest to fix it. I think national security would be a big concern as well. Imagine if those Boston bombers ever decided to attack the subways for example?

Now multiply that by 1000 and that's the security concerns for bullet trains connecting the whole country.

But man, it would be amazing if it ever happened. We would only need planes for international transportation.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:56 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah we just don't have the infrastructure to have rail like that unfortunately. The Acela to Boston takes longer than 4 hours and is pretty expensive. There is just no point to train it up unless it's a last resort to driving.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Transportation infrastructure in this country is hot garbage, and I don't see a solution to it. You look at public transportation in Europe and Japan, and they just complete **** on us.

That's why we're so dependent on oil. We have no choice bc of our infrastructure. And that's also why we'd go into the abyss if we ever had to pay the same price for gas that Europeans and Asians pay.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Yep, and sadly it's just much more difficult to address in this country. In Japan, France, England, etc. it's easy because you can address these issues since they're on such a small scale. The U.S. is massive compared to most of these countries with excellent infrastructure. It's so much harder to tackle here.

It's why I laugh when people say how easy education reform is. It's not like Sweden or France. We have 300 million people spread out across one of the biggest and most diverse populations in the world. What is right for one group of people may not be right for the other.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yeah we made a decision that we were going to be a car country under Eisenhower and that was pretty much the end of the story. It would be impossible to switch that at this point.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah we made a decision that we were going to be a car country under Eisenhower and that was pretty much the end of the story. It would be impossible to switch that at this point.
Yea that was great when all our cars were made here.....
Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's not really true, but it would take the us changing the way we tackle big problems by getting more regional solutions. That's how you sidestep the problems of scale that hold america back when compared to most european nations.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Yea that was great when all our cars were made here.....
I was talking more about the Interstate Program under him. I don't know what the ratio of American to foreign cars were in the 50's.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Yep, and sadly it's just much more difficult to address in this country. In Japan, France, England, etc. it's easy because you can address these issues since they're on such a small scale. The U.S. is massive compared to most of these countries with excellent infrastructure. It's so much harder to tackle here.

It's why I laugh when people say how easy education reform is. It's not like Sweden or France. We have 300 million people spread out across one of the biggest and most diverse populations in the world. What is right for one group of people may not be right for the other.
I think it can be done, we just have to start small and build. Like if we had a bullet that connected NYC, Boston, LA, SF, and Chicago, and then work on the connecting lines from there, it's possible.

It's really no different from some of the transfer panel links I design, just replace pipes with train tracks and we're good to go. I think security and cost vs profit are the big hurdles.

That and we have some guys in powerful positions who wouldn't want to see that happen bc it would make their pockets lighter.

Education needs to be tackled by each state. Federal government can't handle it bc of logistics.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
That's not really true, but it would take the us changing the way we tackle big problems by getting more regional solutions. That's how you sidestep the problems of scale that hold america back when compared to most european nations.
Regional solutions don't work in a country as large as ours. The cost of changing the country from car based to rail based is astronomical. It is impossible. We need continuity in the whole country unless we jeopardize the economic system.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Also, the rails are owned by companies that have no desire to sell them for public use. That's probably the main hurdle.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-02-2013, 10:47 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Regional solutions don't work in a country as large as ours. The cost of changing the country from car based to rail based is astronomical. It is impossible. We need continuity in the whole country unless we jeopardize the economic system.
See people say stuff like that, but I don't agree with that at all, regional solutions are the only ones that can work in a country this big.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I agree with Rosebud. There are certain issues that have to be addressed and considered nationally, but because we're so spread out and have different ideas and backgrounds, it is impossible to nationalize any major idea.

For example, reforming the education policy in New York is likely not going to work in south side Chicago, where the biggest concerns are gang violence and such.

Just like in middle American, a bullet train probably isn't feasible, cost effective, etc., where as in NY/Boston it is.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Education is what it is. Honestly, it's not even about education anymore in this country. The education you receive at Cornell isn't that much different from Rutgers.

The different is status. Status and money plays a major role in what jobs you land as an adult. So if you want your kids to do well, put them through private schools and Ivy League schools. The investment is worth it, bc they're set up for the rest of their career bc of the name brand associated with their education.

It's wrong, it's ****** up, but that's how it is. When people see Ivy League on your resume they hire you. You can be the smartest most qualified person in the world, but if youre from an average rated college youre limited on the job market.

That's just how it is. I see it every day.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Ok that's it. Everyone here has homework now on the feasibility of a rail based system in this country.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Ok that's it. Everyone here has homework now on the feasibility of a rail based system in this country.
It's not very feasible. It would be great, and perhaps it can be done on small scale (San Fran to LA, Boston to NY) but to expect anything more than that is too much.

And I agree with you to an extent, BBD. Maybe it's just my own experiences, but I've seen a lot of companies care less about where you go to school, and more how well you're able to apply what you've learned.

Now, Ivy league is a little different, because it has a tremendous reputation built over hundreds of years. However, I think the public/private universities are mostly all jumbled together. I don't think most employers care if you went to Michigan (considered a great school) compared to the University of Mississippi (a "lesser" school). Employers I've interacted with care more about how good the program of a school is rated. For example, the school I'm at now (Winthrop) is known for an amazing education program. Even at "better" schools like Clemson, where their education program is meh, their teachers are hired after Winthrop education grads.

It's more about specialization than just the name of your school.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:09 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
It's not very feasible. It would be great, and perhaps it can be done on small scale (San Fran to LA, Boston to NY) but to expect anything more than that is too much.

And I agree with you to an extent, BBD. Maybe it's just my own experiences, but I've seen a lot of companies care less about where you go to school, and more how well you're able to apply what you've learned.

Now, Ivy league is a little different, because it has a tremendous reputation built over hundreds of years. However, I think the public/private universities are mostly all jumbled together. I don't think most employers care if you went to Michigan (considered a great school) compared to the University of Mississippi (a "lesser" school). Employers I've interacted with care more about how good the program of a school is rated. For example, the school I'm at now (Winthrop) is known for an amazing education program. Even at "better" schools like Clemson, where their education program is meh, their teachers are hired after Winthrop education grads.

It's more about specialization than just the name of your school.
Yeah the name only means something if the college's reputation transcends their programs, like Princeton, Duke, Harvard etc.

In the sciences and engineering, it definitely makes a difference. I've seen people who are not qualified at all, who just went to Ivy League schools come straight out of college with higher titles and higher paying jobs just bc of their education.

It's a PR thing too, HR loves having those credentials in the company for marketability. It's F'd up but in my field, it happens. I had to work twice as hard, get higher level education and certificates and really build my experience just to get on the same level as a Rutgers alum vs a guy I'm working with who went to Cornell, bc "he went to Cornell"

It's BS. And he's a complete idiot too. He's getting fired soon. But that's not the point, he got the same opportunity with 1/4th the credentials. That's just a bias the industry has.

Lesson learned for me. When I went to college I thought Ivy League was overrated. I'm gonna do whatever I can to put my kids through Ivy League.