Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only one who feels that we don't have a roster capable of competing for a SB this year?

I just see too many question marks on defense. I know we have a SB caliber offense, but our defense is gonna be terribad this year. I just don't see our defense being capable of getting hot and playing at the level we need it to like it did in 07 and 11 with the current talent we have on defense.

I see a weaker pass rush, having lost Osi, Tuck being a year older and washed up. I see a mediocre LB core (that's nothing new though), and a secondary that's taken a MASSIVE step backwards.

And a tool for a DC.

I just don't see it. Especially with the NFC West getting so strong, the Packers shoring up their run game and improving their defense, the Bears bolstering their OL, the Falcons improving their CBs and pass rush, the Saints being the Saints again this year.

There's just too much firepower in the NFC for me to view us as a SB contender.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:05 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i agree. the Nets are my best team at the moment and it stings
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We absolutely could. People need to step their game up. Not everything is fluid. Webster can bounce back. Prince can turn into a dominant CB. A LB steps up. You never know.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I just don't feel confident the way I did the last 4 years.

I felt like we were without a doubt a SB contender heading into every offseason of the last 4 years. I don't feel that way this year, that's all.

We have a ton of question marks on defense, a lot of unknowns. It's hard for me to commit to the idea of us being a SB contender with so many unknowns heading into TC.

I do expect some of our young guys to step up and produce, but not all of them.

My main concerns are at FS and CB.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think we're a top echelon NFC team meaning we can be a SB contender. We're clearly behind SF, ATL, and SEA. I think after that's there is a group of teams bunched together including us.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

It really depends on the defense to me. I think we need a 2nd pass rusher to emerge. Right now our only proven pass rusher is JPP. So there's a major question that needs an answer. Honestly we need 2 pass rushers to step up, bc we need 3 guys to bring heat in the playoffs.

I feel confident that our run defense will improve this year with the addition of Hankins and getting rid of Boley. Those 2 moves will bolster our run D.

Our secondary...good God. Webster needs a bounceback year in a major way, we need Prince to take the next step, ditto for Hosely, we need a SS to emerge.

And we need Rolle not to suck as a deep FS. Rolle is much better as a box safety and nickel CB. He's mediocre as a FS playing the post. He struggles to pick up the proper read and takes poor angles.

So my main concerns are pass rush and secondary. I'm hoping Moore steps up. But the secondary scares me.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Am I the only one who feels that we don't have a roster capable of competing for a SB this year?

I just see too many question marks on defense. I know we have a SB caliber offense, but our defense is gonna be terribad this year. I just don't see our defense being capable of getting hot and playing at the level we need it to like it did in 07 and 11 with the current talent we have on defense.

I see a weaker pass rush, having lost Osi, Tuck being a year older and washed up. I see a mediocre LB core (that's nothing new though), and a secondary that's taken a MASSIVE step backwards.

And a tool for a DC.

I just don't see it. Especially with the NFC West getting so strong, the Packers shoring up their run game and improving their defense, the Bears bolstering their OL, the Falcons improving their CBs and pass rush, the Saints being the Saints again this year.

There's just too much firepower in the NFC for me to view us as a SB contender.

That's one thing I've noticed from afar. They are going to start annually sending 2 teams to the playoffs which the NFC East used to do quite a bit. Niners and Seahawks aren't going anywhere anytime soon, the Rams are cleaning up with all the extra picks from the RGIII trade, their D-line is a beast, and they boast Lauranitis and Ogletree behind them with Janoris Jenkins at CB and have two 1st next year, and all AZ needs is a QB.

It's a much, much tougher division. It was easier to fend for a playoff spot when you knew they only had the division winner limping in with 7-8 wins and that's it. At this point wildcard spots will be hard to come by with 9 wins IMO. I also expect Saints & Bucs to compete with ATL so it'll be a dog fight in the NFC this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
That's one thing I've noticed from afar. They are going to start annually sending 2 teams to the playoffs which the NFC East used to do quite a bit. Niners and Seahawks aren't going anywhere anytime soon, the Rams are cleaning up with all the extra picks from the RGIII trade, their D-line is a beast, and they boast Lauranitis and Ogletree behind them with Janoris Jenkins at CB and have two 1st next year, and all AZ needs is a QB.

It's a much, much tougher division. It was easier to fend for a playoff spot when you knew they only had the division winner limping in with 7-8 wins and that's it. At this point wildcard spots will be hard to come by with 9 wins IMO. I also expect Saints & Bucs to compete with ATL so it'll be a dog fight in the NFC this year.
Absolutely. The way the NFC is shaping up, the East is actually one of the weaker divisions. Arguably the weakest. I only see the division winner making the playoffs.

And that makes it that much harder.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For what it's worth I think our D will be better than last year. JPP will have a big bounce back year, big Hank will help our run D be less pathetic, I actually think Tuck will have a bounceback year to, add Prince developing on the back end and our D totally has the pieces to step up in the playoffs, especially if our running game becomes a weapon to make our offense even more unstoppable.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Even if our CBs develop, I think we've taken a giant step back at Safety. KP was so money for us.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

KP didn't play that many games though. I think he's a loss so don't take that as a knock.

sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Giantsfan1080 : 05-03-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

This makes the division very important. I like the way our team is. You guys are going through a system change. Eagles have cleaned our and are brand new and Bob is hurt so that could effect things.

We have stability on both sides even though one side is like a gangrene limb. I like how this division fits for us though.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
KP didn't play that many games though. I think he's a loss so don't that as a knock.
Pretty much this. I loved Kenny and he was a big part of what let our d dominate when they got on a role, but he missed a lot of games that we still did well in sometimes. If prince and Hosley step up, our run d improves and the pass rush bounces back our d can still be very good. And with a better OL and legit running game that could be enough for Eli to win us another ring.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

KP's loss was mitigated by Stevie Brown playing way over his head last year. I don't expect him to replicate that.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I expect him to play well though. That was year 1 in the system. With another year in the system and better DL, I expect Lbs to flow and hopefully cut down on QB time in pocket, which results in more sudden change plays.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

The thing about Stevie Brown is...he actually had a bad year. Everyone sees the INT totals and assumes he had a great year.

Over half his INTs were right place right time INTs, they weren't the result of great anticipation or baiting the qb. He basically got the ball thrown right at him or it was tipped right to him.

Then when you look at the all 22 and see how many plays he screwed up, how often he was out of position, how many big plays were the result of him missing a key, etc you realize how Stevie Brown really isn't a very good Safety.

I'll be very surprised if he has another year like last year. I'm expecting Will Hill to be a better player than him.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:50 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Ravens hired spags. It's ok we have dumb dumb to the helm.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Ravens hired spags. It's ok we have dumb dumb to the helm.
The Ravens hired Spagnuolo to the position of Senior Defensive Assistant

That is the kind of role that I was hoping we could sign Spagnuolo or Lovie Smith for.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha yeah, I hate when people say this but this team has such a huge range for what they could do this season. We COULD be a SB candidate if things break right: JPP dominates, Prince take it to the next level, Webster steps it up, the safety situation works out, someone steps up at LB, etc. Or we could suck. We just have way way WAY too many "ifs." Good teams don't have that many ifs going into the season.

I think we will be a good team this year. Playoffs/borderline playoffs because of the offense. It really all depends on the defense, though.

I think the key on offense this year will be David Wilson. If he steps it up we could be dynamic on offense. If not, we may be taking a step back.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post

That is the kind of role that I was hoping we could sign Spagnuolo or Lovie Smith for.
I honestly thought it was a no brainer for Spags to sign that type of deal here. That said, it still opens the door for him to come back which I know most of you want. Fewell could easily get fired if he doesn't step it up and I think Spags will look for another DC job in a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post

Me too! Ease him in and then once Fewell gets fired, promote Spags. I really hope we don't extend Fewell! I mean please don't bring him back for more years! Wasting Eli's prime with a mess on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Spags had a lot of offers apparently but he chose Baltimore. Who knows, maybe we did offer him something and he just didn't take it.

Either way, it sucks that we couldn't get him.

Finding aggressive 4-3 coordinators isn't easy. All the aggressive guys are running 34 fronts these days.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:19 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

The question remains do we stick with a 43 for a while, even when TC retires? Do we switch to a 34 where at least we can be more aggressive than we are now?

I feel like in a 34 we'd be more aggressive and forced to disguise our blitzes. Right now we are doing something called Show and tell, which is where ever we are showing blitzes, we are blitzing. I wish we'd mix it up with show and tell and bait and blast like we did with spags. At least mix things up with the hope to disguise our blitzes more effectively.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

We should stick with a 4-3 as long as JPP is on the team. As long as he's on our team, it makes absolutely no sense to switch to a 3-4.

There's nothing wrong with a 4-3 defense. You just need the right players and the right coach.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the big thing with his team is there is alot of talent, competition and potential. There is plenty of legit opportunity at almost every position.

Perhaps the biggest factor is that we are a lot healthier, Canty, Boley, Phillips and Bradshaw were relied upon to play key roles, but had significant injury issues.

Tuck, Diehl, Snee and Baas should be fresh after being banged up.

I do like the veteran depth on both sides of the ball to mentor our young guys.

I have a really good feeling about this roster, I really think we are the strongest team in our division and one of the best in the NFC.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote