Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-08-2013, 02:17 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What they're saying about Jonathan Hankins from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...nathan-hankins

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I think you're reading into it too much. Hankins is insurance for Joseph bc we probably can't afford to re-sign Joseph, plus in the interim he provides us with 2 bulky NTs up front.

Fewell wants both of his DTs to 2 gap, he does not like penetration from his DTs. So we might see him emphasize this point by playing Hankins and Joseph at DT to combat the run and the read option.

That's all there is to it. Vs teams that spread you out and pass we won't see the heavy formation much. Vs read option teams and teams who want to run it we'll see the heavy formation. That's all there is to it.

Think of Coughlin's Jaguars defenses with Henderson and Stroud in the middle. That's what we're gonna see.
Perhaps I am, but it does seem we want bigger guys up front.

Even if we use Jenkins in there it is still viable as an option.

The Jags with a pair of big guys up front worked, it isn't unlike what Fewell had in Buffalo.

Flipping JPP and Tuck is interesting, it likely allows JPP to beat RT with speed and Tuck to beat RT with power.

I was just thinking of potential wrinkles from there and having looks where we go to something like what seattle does is very easy to do and we have the personel to do it. I just think it is a wild card Fewell could through in at times to add variation and unpredictability to our front seven.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know if we really are gonna flip JPP and Tuck. I don't see how it makes sense at all. That could be lip service. The only thing I can think of is they think Tuck probably won't hold up anyway, and they want to develop JPP at LE bc it's a lot easier to find a future RE than it is a LE.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And I know Seattle's defensive scheme is the it thing right now, but make no mistake, that scheme is great bc the players are great. A lot of teams may copy the scheme, but they won't have the same success.

The players make that scheme. They can change their scheme up tomorrow and still be a great defense bc the players on that defense are sick. It's not the scheme its the players.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

More specifically that secondary lets them do whatever the hell they want up front to stuff the run and occasionally pressure the QB.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I think all 11 players work well together. That defense is stacked from top to bottom.

Great LB core, sick secondary, good run stuffing DL. They depend on the Leo too much though. That's why I'm not a huge fan of their Over scheme, they sacrifice a lot of pass rush for muscle vs the run.

Which only works bc of their secondary. Teams will try to copy them and fail miserably bc they don't realize that it's the players that make it work.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Exactly, they can focus on stopping the run with their front 7 instead of focusing on generating pass rush because of that secondary. They're so beastly back their that it lets them do whatever they want up front.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I wish we used a 3 tech in our defense. I believe in A gap pressure, and you need to generate it with blitz up the gut and an interior pass rusher.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Question. I see Scott is an admin in Shane's new website.

...what's up with that? Did they just rebrand this website as that website essentially with Shane in charge instead?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

...what's up with that? Did they just rebrand this website as that website essentially with Shane in charge instead?
I'm guessing it's just a courtesy.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

aaron curry officially a giant. We have 2 of my favorite LB prospects in Rivers and Curry. It'd be cool if he lived up to his draft slot with us. hashtag super optimism
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yeah, I think Scott might have a role similar to Shane on here. I know Scott helped Shane out a lot though.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Curry! LOL. I am curious to see how he does for us. Now we have 2 blue chip prospects in Rivers and Curry. If both can stay healthy, I want to see how they do. Let's hope they don't break.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Curry will suck, but who knows?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:24 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he does, no big deal. It's a zero risk move on our part. Zero risk with a potential of a high return. It's a smart move.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:01 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Yup, I have no problem with it. I'm never against these type of moves. I know some people (cough, BBD) get annoyed at it taking up a potential roster spot but the way I see it that's on the coaching staff. They need be able to keep the best players and let go the rest. If they can't do that then it's their fault.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Problem is that he has never been good in the NFL. If it was a 10 year veteran on the minimum who hasn't been good in 2 years that would be low risk high reward. Because you might get that swan song performance for a year. But Curry has never been good in the NFL.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I don't like it. He's gonna take reps away from players we're trying to develop. Let the young guys get more reps. I'm honestly not thrilled with our offseason so far.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:39 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

but like...Aaron curry IS young. And it's not like we've got a plethora of sweet young LBers fighting for playing time
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

He's also established that he sucks. This isn't his 2nd change, it's his 3rd chance. I just highly doubt he amounts to anything and I hate taking reps away from other guys who maybe can turn into something.

I rather give the unknown some reps and find out if we have something there then give this guy reps when we already know he sucks.

I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning, and I just can't get excited about this defense. This defense is gonna be awful.

Our back 7 is awful. Our secondary is below average, and our LB core is extremely mediocre. Guys are gonna be wide open all day long vs us this year, it's gonna be a serious problem.

We're gonna have to do a complete makeover of the back 7. I just envision guys getting toasted all year long. And our pass rush isn't as strong either with the loss of Osi.

This is gonna be a bad defense. Bottom tier defense in the league. Unless a lot of these young guys step up and really produce for us, which will be exciting to see, but you can't expect all of them to pan out. Most of them won't.

We have a SB caliber offense, but an awful defense. It makes me nervous.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Meh, I'm not worried about taking away reps. If the coaches can't manage who deserves the reps and who should be getting them then that's their fault. I think too much gets put into "stealing reps." There are thousands upon thousands of reps. Someone has to take them. You just have to trust your coaching. Coughlin will do what is necessary.

And don't get me wrong, I think Curry sucks. Maybe he finds new life here. who knows? It certainly would not be the first time this happens. To me it's win-win. If he sucks, cut him. If he is good, back him a back up or maybe a starter.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I'm just terrified at the idea of our front office being comfortable with 2/3 of our starting LB core consisting of Keith Rivers and Dan Connor with absolutely no depth at all behind them.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Then you look at our secondary, and our best CB is a washed up Corey Webster who we're hoping has a bounce back season, a Prince Amukamara who looked good last year but still hasn't been tested as a #1 CB who very well could wind up just being a solid #2 guy, and a nickel CB who's a midget who will get killed in the run game (Hosely), and our 2 depth guys are a CB coming off of 2 ACLs (Thomas) and an old washed up Aaron Ross who can't play inside.

A safety duo consisting of a converted CB (Rolle) who takes awful angles and is horrible at playing Cover 2 (oh btw, we love Cover 2) as our FS guy when he's clearly much better in the box and as a nickel CB, and an overachiever who people think is good bc 5 interceptions fell into his lap last year when he really sucks (Brown).

Our back 7 is awful. Oh and our DC blows. And our pass rush consists of JPP, a washed up Justin Tuck who will mope and play hurt 90% of the season, a mediocre Kiwi (bless his soul, but he's a JAG), and a 20 year old rookie DE who runs a 5 second 40 (love his potential, but can't help but be concerned about the red flags and speed).

Am I the only one who is very concerned about how awful this defense is on paper right now?

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 05-13-2013 at 12:44 PM.
bigbluedefense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Eh, it doesn't really matter right now. I think you're in super negative mode right now, BBD.

Everyone was raving about our LBs last year and how good our LBs looked on paper, although I personally didn't see it. It's hard to predict these things.

We won't be a great defense more than likely, but that doesn't mean our players can't develop and get better.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Eh, it doesn't really matter right now. I think you're in super negative mode right now, BBD.

Everyone was raving about our LBs last year and how good our LBs looked on paper, although I personally didn't see it. It's hard to predict these things.

We won't be a great defense more than likely, but that doesn't mean our players can't develop and get better.
I am in super negative mode right now, that's definitely true. I think it has a lot to do with me just not being a fan of our offseason.

I think we overrated our depth last year in the LB core, but this year, there's absolutely nothing to get excited about. Our starters are mediocre as hell, and our depth hasn't changed. So it's pretty much just a poor LB core no matter how you look at it.

Now the secondary...that can improve. It all depends on a lot of "ifs" to pan out. Prince needs to take the next step, Webster needs to bounce back, and Hosely needs to pan out. And Will Hill.

A lot of ifs, but not entirely impossible. And the DL can be good again if Moore can give us some push opposite of JPP. I just don't believe in Tuck anymore so I won't bother hoping he has a good year. To be honest I don't want him to, bc I don't want to extend him.

So the DL and secondary have hope. But the LB core is just abysmal no matter how you slice it.