Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
So, I tried re-reading parts of the Theon story and I might be just missing something, but if it continues as it looks I am going to be very upset.

I don't remember this archer kid at all. Can anyone refresh my memory as to who he is?
Doesnt exist. We are never told exactly what happens during this time. I am assuming that this archer is Ramsey Bolton playing a trick on him. Could also be the original reek. The reaction the men had when it was "the boy" that killed them when Theon was escaping came as an expression of shock. Which leads me to believe that it is Ramsey getting Theon's hopes up.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedWalrus View Post
Doesnt exist. We are never told exactly what happens during this time. I am assuming that this archer is Ramsey Bolton playing a trick on him. Could also be the original reek. The reaction the men had when it was "the boy" that killed them when Theon was escaping came as an expression of shock. Which leads me to believe that it is Ramsey getting Theon's hopes up.
I doubt it's the original Reek, as we are always led to believe that Reek previously was all mutilated and gross looking as well. It probably will be Ramsay, but then we didn't see him with any of his men or his hounds, which per the storyline would be unusual for him to "hunt" without them.

And I guess for the show, there's not a whole lot you can do to show how cruel and crazy Ramsay is, so showing him playing this huge trick on Theon would accomplish it.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ramsay dies and reek transforms to Ramsay, who then makes theon become reek.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Ramsay dies and reek transforms to Ramsay, who then makes theon become reek.
Ramsay never dies. Before they are captured, he switches with Reek, who they kill thinking it's Ramsay. Then Theon releases Reek to help him, and once free, he becomes Ramsay again and then turns Theon into Reek.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 04-15-2013, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is the books thread, the non-readers violently protest any mention of the books in their thread, I don't think you need to spoiler anything here.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:33 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As for the who the archer is, that's Ramsay Bolton. The actor was confirmed as playing that character. My assumption is that this is going to be an elaborate way to show how disturbed Ramsay is, this is nothing more than a sick game for him. Probably going to fully win over Theon's trust before doing something grim to him.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 04-15-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually like this addition to the story we knew that Theon became Reek and all that but we didn't know much about the process on which it happened.

On another note I wonder if the Bear and the Maiden Fair has anything to do with Jorah Mormont.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:35 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
I actually like this addition to the story we knew that Theon became Reek and all that but we didn't know much about the process on which it happened.

On another note I wonder if the Bear and the Maiden Fair has anything to do with Jorah Mormont.
In terms of the show? With the way it's setting up, it probably has to be. At first I thought it was going to be when Brienne fights the Bear, which might still happen this season. But it also might refer to what happens with Jorah and Dany. However, it seems like they are slow playing the Astapor storyline to leave a lot of the fighting and subsequent ruling for next season, where this season the "cliff hanger" is Dany's decision to stay.

Just saw Martin wrote the Bear and the Maiden Fair episode. Hopefully it's awesome and true to Martin's writing in the books, will have a lot of jaw droppers.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver

Last edited by iowatreat54 : 04-15-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In terms of the show? With the way it's setting up, it probably has to be. At first I thought it was going to be when Brienne fights the Bear, which might still happen this season. But it also might refer to what happens with Jorah and Dany. However, it seems like they are slow playing the Astapor storyline to leave a lot of the fighting and subsequent ruling for next season, where this season the "cliff hanger" is Dany's decision to stay.
I meant in terms of either. The bear is the sigial of the Mormont family and is noted in the books IIRC for being a hairy individual. But the more I think of it Danny is not even close to being a "maiden" but I think she was when he last talked to Varyes I wouldn't be surprised if the spider has many mistrals in his employ mayhaps Simon Silvertoung.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 04-15-2013, 03:47 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
I meant in terms of either. The bear is the sigial of the Mormont family and is noted in the books IIRC for being a hairy individual. But the more I think of it Danny is not even close to being a "maiden" but I think she was when he last talked to Varyes I wouldn't be surprised if the spider has many mistrals in his employ mayhaps Simon Silvertoung.
Nah, supposedly I thought he had contact with the spider after they reached Qarth, which would mean she was no longer a maiden.

So just reading about the actual song, it is technically sung at the Red Wedding, so...

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 AM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a pretty minor spoiler, but might help people understand the Theon scenes if they are really frustrated over them. I'm posting this here for TV only viewers to check if they want to.

Last edited by Vox Populi : 05-15-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:57 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I really wonder what they are going to do with Theon over the next couple of seasons. Are they going to spend a season where they just explain the rhyming thing? I don't know I just think there is too much time that passes in the books to keep Theon around until he truly becomes Reek

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is anyone else a little concerned that Martin's involvement in the show will start to effect the books?

This Gendry stuff in the show is so far off from the books, I'm hoping Martin doesn't start writing that character in that direction just because the shows decided to.

Also guess the Titan's Bastard isn't going to have an assassination attempt on Danny anymore.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:13 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
This Gendry stuff in the show is so far off from the books, I'm hoping Martin doesn't start writing that character in that direction just because the shows decided to.
I was thinking this too. I guess they combined Gendry and Edric, but I'm interested to see what direction they take the character now.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Martin has resigned himself to the fact that the TV show is going to be different than the books. He has said several times that the TV writers are going to have a hard time with resolving things that changes things that happen down the line.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 05-20-2013, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

So next episode...the Red Wedding?

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 05-20-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
So next episode...the Red Wedding?
Has to be. Also, it's not for 2 weeks. :(

As for Gendry, I'm ok with it because they pretty much are combining him with the Edric story, which wasn't that huge in the grand scheme of things.

Also, with such deviations in the show, I think they can still write in some minor plot points later, such as Titan's Bastard. They could easily introduce him either before the end of this season or early next season as refusing Dany, and then showing up later in the season. Sure the timing of events would be off, but it wouldn't really ruin anything.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Didn't the Titan's Bastard just lose his head?

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 05-20-2013, 03:58 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Didn't the Titan's Bastard just lose his head?
Nay, he refuses Dany and disappears, only to reappear at a later point when she is visiting the sick people outside the walls.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Nay, he refuses Dany and disappears, only to reappear at a later point when she is visiting the sick people outside the walls.
I'm talking about in the show. One of the heads Daario delivered to Dany was the Titan's Bastard. I don't think there's any reintroducing him.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 05-20-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
I'm talking about in the show. One of the heads Daario delivered to Dany was the Titan's Bastard. I don't think there's any reintroducing him.
Oh whaaaaat, I must have missed/not paid attention. I guess nevermind then.

But something like that I guess isn't a major plot point, they can easily just write in some other sellsword or someone for the assassination attempt.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I kinda thought the main plot point of the whole assassination attempt was Ser Barristan stopping it and then revealing himself. Since they already did that with that weird little girl/scorpion thing, I would think they will probably just skip having another assassination attempt.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How does everyone feel about the casting of Daario? To me he feels like a weird choice for the character. Obviously it would have been next to impossible to duplicate the appearance they described, but this actor doesn't seem dangerous enough even though he did some badass stuff in the episode.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
How does everyone feel about the casting of Daario? To me he feels like a weird choice for the character. Obviously it would have been next to impossible to duplicate the appearance they described, but this actor doesn't seem dangerous enough even though he did some badass stuff in the episode.
Thought is was an ok casting. The worst casting they have done so far is the casting of Strong Belwas. They cast him with nothing!
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:51 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
I kinda thought the main plot point of the whole assassination attempt was Ser Barristan stopping it and then revealing himself. Since they already did that with that weird little girl/scorpion thing, I would think they will probably just skip having another assassination attempt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedWalrus View Post
Thought is was an ok casting. The worst casting they have done so far is the casting of Strong Belwas. They cast him with nothing!
Ya, it's not a big deal but I didn't really like how they handled the Arstan/Selmy reveal. One of the major aspects is that he is Arstan for a while and gains Dany's trust, only to finally be revealed later. Then there is the ongoing tension between Selmy and Mormont, with Mormont being super jealous and trying to sell Dany on Selmy being a traitor to her family.

I guess they can always develop the jealousy of Mormont later, but it won't be the same. Mormont also seems to hate Selmy right away in the books, whereas in the show they at the very least seem to tolerate one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I'm ok with it. It would have been really hard to cast someone that brings all the aspects of Daario to the table, so for sake of keeping the audience interested they will probably choose to make him seem more smooth-talking and attractive. I think if they made him out to be more of a used car salesman type look you get from the book, people would be like wtf is Dany doing with him.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver