Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NYG,

You should start writing articles for BBI like Optimus does for the cap. Get your name out there writing. You write well, are smart, and know your stuff all tied together with a good background. Maybe you'll get noticed!

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Haha, no no, it's not like that, I can assure you. BBD and I disagree a lot, but I try to present a well articulated post, and if we agree cool, if not, then so be it. At least I got him to understand where I am coming from which is good enough. He isn't a stubborn guy, so if one articulates one's self well, then I can at least understand the point.
I know you're not intentionally snowflaking on me, but man when I read through to catch up on this thread so many times you just post the exact opposite view on personnel moves from me. I'm sure we agree plenty enough, but so often I see your post and understand what you're trying to say and where you're coming from, I just still disagree completely you know?

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Nicks is not holding out Alex. The original report was incorrect. Just a heads up.
I guess I didn't see it? Why was Coughlin upset about it then?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
NYG,

You should start writing articles for BBI like Optimus does for the cap. Get your name out there writing. You write well, are smart, and know your stuff all tied together with a good background. Maybe you'll get noticed!
Especially with the way NYG can go into the X's and O's. One of the biggest soccer blogs on the whole interwebz is Zonal Marking and I understand how much infinitely trickier that is in football, it's still an aspect of coverage of the sport that's seriously short of where people's demand for it would be.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 05-23-2013, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I guess I didn't see it? Why was Coughlin upset about it then?
Not sure honestly. All I know is the writer who said it was a contract demand took that information back today saying he was wrong.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-23-2013, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Especially with the way NYG can go into the X's and O's. One of the biggest soccer blogs on the whole interwebz is Zonal Marking and I understand how much infinitely trickier that is in football, it's still an aspect of coverage of the sport that's seriously short of where people's demand for it would be.
Yup that's exactly what I was thinking.

Zonal has helped me learn the technical aspects of soccer a lot more but I still never feel comfortable talking about it. I just like to watch and enjoy without thinking about it that much.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
NYG,

Thanks man. I did some stuff for Eric when I first started their. Maybe this year. If I get into med school or PA school I won't have time. So I am kind of in the middle.

I'd rather post when i can get a chance. I will always post here too because others and BBD like reading those Xs and Os post. So I always post stuff I think of here.

I like the group here, I think you guys are all good people.

Quote:
I know you're not intentionally snowflaking on me, but man when I read through to catch up on this thread so many times you just post the exact opposite view on personnel moves from me. I'm sure we agree plenty enough, but so often I see your post and understand what you're trying to say and where you're coming from, I just still disagree completely you know?

Yeah I hear you. I notice it too from my end of things. Everything will be like

"great move!"

"Love it!

"In reese we trust!"

And then here I am saying it's a pathetic move. So I do have some self awareness, but I mean if I don't like something I say it and have supporting evidence. If people still don't agree, I am fine with that, it's a message board after all.

I do notice it though. It's not like I try or want to be a contrarian. Sometimes it just happens though.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Yup that's exactly what I was thinking.

Zonal has helped me learn the technical aspects of soccer a lot more but I still never feel comfortable talking about it. I just like to watch and enjoy without thinking about it that much.
I like Zonal a lot, Michael Cox sometimes overplays the impact of tactics versus the impact of the players playing, so you need to be careful about when he starts to make assessments on what changes the game, but he does a great job putting simple right ups out there. Which I think helps him a lot, cause the german ZM does much more in depth stuff so even the couple of articles they did translate into english are more of a chore for more casual fans to read. I love that **** though, and they do such a good job of charting how teams press and react to the press that it may even be worth a look without understanding the text. just google SpielVerlagerung if you wanna take a look.

Back to NYG though, it would certainly be a thing a lot of fans who are more into it than casual fans but don't have the understanding and knowledge to fully appreciate would enjoy me thinks.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

For a small group of posters we all give a very good point of view. The give and take here is excellent without the BBI nonsense. There is too much crap to weed out there at times.

I respect everyone's opinion here even if I disagree.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-23-2013, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
I like Zonal a lot, Michael Cox sometimes overplays the impact of tactics versus the impact of the players playing, so you need to be careful about when he starts to make assessments on what changes the game, but he does a great job putting simple right ups out there. Which I think helps him a lot, cause the german ZM does much more in depth stuff so even the couple of articles they did translate into english are more of a chore for more casual fans to read. I love that **** though, and they do such a good job of charting how teams press and react to the press that it may even be worth a look without understanding the text. just google SpielVerlagerung if you wanna take a look.

Back to NYG though, it would certainly be a thing a lot of fans who are more into it than casual fans but don't have the understanding and knowledge to fully appreciate would enjoy me thinks.
Will certainly do! Do you watch the UEFA game home Saturday or go out?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

I totally get that. I do the same **** in the movie thread sometimes and please don't feel like I'm trying to dissuade you from continuing to post what you think cause I actually prefer reading what the people who have a different view on things than I do think, as long as they're able to articulate their thoughts coherently as you can.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Will certainly do! Do you watch the UEFA game home Saturday or go out?
I have no clue man, I just got back after being in buffalo since mothers day and may actually end up not being able to watch it until monday depending on what 5lbs has to say tonight.

If I'm here I may just watch it home, that way I can smoke a bowl and watch it in peace, and I can start working out if Dortmund needs some of my superstitious voodoo to make another dramatic come back.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was an admin for the giants.com MB, post on here, BBI, and scout.com. I was a mod on scout.com, after the admin saw my Xs and Os post. So they wanted to create a different room.

I find after all this experience that you have to know your audience and posters on the site. Xs and Os is one thing, but two things can happen. People know think they are good posters and use stats left and right to prove their point, are now in foreign waters. They can't BS or post a stat to support evidence because it's football theory and technique. It's basically technical aspect of the sport. So they don't post.

You get casual fans who like to learn, but aren't confident in contributing. So what happens at the end of the day. You get an empty forum, and basically me monologuing.

That's not what I like to do. I want to it to be very interactive, but that doesn't always happen. You may get a lot of people stopping by to read, but that's it.

So I learned from various MBs that it all depends on the audience. Simply writing it won't mean an interactive environment.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I was an admin for the giants.com MB, post on here, BBI, and scout.com. I was a mod on scout.com, after the admin saw my Xs and Os post. So they wanted to create a different room.

I find after all this experience that you have to know your audience and posters on the site. Xs and Os is one thing, but two things can happen. People know think they are good posters and use stats left and right to prove their point, are now in foreign waters. They can't BS or post a stat to support evidence because it's football theory and technique. It's basically technical aspect of the sport. So they don't post.

You get casual fans who like to learn, but aren't confident in contributing. So what happens at the end of the day. You get an empty forum, and basically me monologuing.

That's not what I like to do. I want to it to be very interactive, but that doesn't always happen. You may get a lot of people stopping by to read, but that's it.

So I learned from various MBs that it all depends on the audience. Simply writing it won't mean an interactive environment.
That's why I think if you did it as an educational blog it could get a lot of attention from people. The casual posters may not post on the comments section or forums, but you could really emphasize the learning aspect of it and people often follow that. I've been reading a lot of english language stuff about the German soccer league recently, because the english speaking world is just now rediscovering it, and most of the better blogs have that type of nurturing and educational vibe because there aren't many english speaking experts on the BuLi.

Don't mean to be pushy on this, it's just something that I'd really like to see happen so I'll ramble about until it does, kinda like Netflix and Camera Eyes.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-23-2013, 09:59 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
That's why I think if you did it as an educational blog it could get a lot of attention from people. The casual posters may not post on the comments section or forums, but you could really emphasize the learning aspect of it and people often follow that. I've been reading a lot of english language stuff about the German soccer league recently, because the english speaking world is just now rediscovering it, and most of the better blogs have that type of nurturing and educational vibe because there aren't many english speaking experts on the BuLi.

Don't mean to be pushy on this, it's just something that I'd really like to see happen so I'll ramble about until it does, kinda like Netflix and Camera Eyes.
No, I don't see it as pushy. It's an interesting thought. I will try to do it this season with recorded games. I will take bits and pieces of it and break it down. So I think I will do that. I will have to see if med school is a go or if it will be PA school. So that avenue will need 1st crack, and then on spare time do the Xs and os and post it.

Perhaps you guys here and BBI will be my release or if I am feeling confident my Beta test group. But either way I appreciate everyone here for being a good group of people. Even BBD! : P
Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Haha, no no, it's not like that, I can assure you. BBD and I disagree a lot, but I try to present a well articulated post, and if we agree cool, if not, then so be it. At least I got him to understand where I am coming from which is good enough. He isn't a stubborn guy, so if one articulates one's self well, then I can at least understand the point.
Our disagreements usually are:

Me: I want defense!

You: I want offense!

haha. it's all good man, you know I love it. And you should definitely start writing to put your name out there. I honestly feel like we all should, we're all knowledgeable enough that if we put the work in we could get recognized. I just don't have the time for it. I juggle a lot of things on my plate as is, maybe when life slows down for me I'll start doing it as well.

I love the group here. We really have a great group of guys. And we all bring something to the table.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:30 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Speaking of Xs and Os, I was looking at some of our All 22 from last year. And maaan, our defense is so damn vanilla.

I was kind of disgusted at watching it. We are so obvious, we don't disguise anything very well, our blitzes are so awful and generic. And our coverage shells, my goodness man, we're basically showing you exactly what we're gonna do right before the snap. It's no wonder why we get carved up, a good qb knows exactly where to go with the ball before the snap, we don't disguise anything!

Cover 2 zone, Cover 3 zone, Cover 2 man, Cover 3 man, we basically ran those 4 coverage shells all game long. Rarely blitzed. When they max protected we rarely changed up the rush to counter.

And we never redirect. Linebackers playing the middle were cement blocks. They never redirected anyone. It was such a soft finesse zone defense it was disgusting.

We are pretty much a pure Cover 2 defense. But an awful one. We don't disguise, and we lack the speed in the back 7 needed to run it.

And we have poor communication. It's a lot of personnel problems, and the coach, aka Fewell doesn't do them any favors by basically showing all his cards before the snap and never adjusting his formations and gap strategies.

It's just so basic. It's basic yet complicated. The zone keys are complicated, but the formations, and coverage shells are so basic. It's basically the exact opposite of what you want in a defense.

Good defense is complicated for the offense, simple for the defense. What I mean by that is you want to rush in a way that attacks protection schemes, you want to make it difficult for the offense to identify the MIKE, you want to disguise your coverage making it difficult for them to audible properly before the snap and for WRs to recognize who's hot.

This comes down to using different formations and gap strategies. That's a defense's bread and butter. You don't want offenses to know your gap strategy. Change up your gap strategy from play to play, change up your formations. Change up your disguises and coverage shells.

But at the same time, after the snap, you want to keep the responsibilities of the defenders simple so they can execute and process information quickly, don't make it too complicated where they get stuck in mud.

Fewell is the exact opposite. His gap strategies are simple and easy to pick up, he doesn't disguise well at all, then when the ball is snapped he runs a complex zone defense that changes assignments based on route combinations.

His plan is to confuse the offense by selling an obvious look that can change during the play based on route keys. The problem with this is that its extremely difficult for dumb defenders (let's be real, defenders are dumb) to pick up which leads to a ton of miscommunication.

Fewell uses a different approach to confusing offenses then I prefer. It's an approach that confuses his defense more than the offense.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I'm not sure if that made sense for you guys, I skipped over a lot of details.

What makes a defense like Seattle so difficult to play against is how they switch up gap responsibilities from play to play. Sometimes they 2 gap, sometimes they 1 gap, sometimes they use a combination of 1 and 2 gap but outside in, sometimes its inside out, sometimes the strong side 2 gaps the weak side one gaps etc.

By switching up your gap responsibilities it makes it difficult for offenses to run certain concepts against you because their concepts are designed to attack certain defensive concepts. You switch up the defensive concept on a consistent basis, then the OC will have a hard time finding tendencies and attacking them in the 2nd half in his call sheet.

Seattle does this well, NE does this well, the Jets do this well, basically multiple front defenses do this well.

We don't. It's the same gap responsibilities every play. Fewell doesn't want to be complex before the snap. What he wants to do is stay simple, but then complicate the play after the snap. That's his way of disguising the play.

He wants to keep gap responsibilities simple so his players don't get confused vs the run. But that puts a lot of pressure on the players to really be good run defenders bc they will get outschemed in the run game.

Vs the pass, this requires very intelligent defenders to be able to process route combinations and pick up the proper man. These option zones if you will, for a lack of better term, can really screw up a qb if executed properly, but its hard bc you need really smart defenders.

And that's hard to pull off. You know why Bellichick's defenses' suck nowadays? Bc he runs the complexity of Seattle's gap assignments coupled with the complexity of Fewell's zone assigments. Too complex. You need PhD defenders everywhere.

It worked great when he had smart veterans. But young players typically can't handle it, and it's a young man's game with the rule changes.

That's why I love Rex Ryan so much. He makes his formations and gap responsibilities and blitz packages complicated. But the coverage is simple. Man coverage, cover your guy. There's no miscommunication. He's gonna beat you by attacking your protection.

It's simple, but complicated, and very effective. Make it simple for the players.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Our disagreements usually are:

Me: I want defense!

You: I want offense!

haha. it's all good man, you know I love it. And you should definitely start writing to put your name out there. I honestly feel like we all should, we're all knowledgeable enough that if we put the work in we could get recognized. I just don't have the time for it. I juggle a lot of things on my plate as is, maybe when life slows down for me I'll start doing it as well.

I love the group here. We really have a great group of guys. And we all bring something to the table.

Yeah, I am in the same boat. Moving from business to health care, be it med school or PA school, I won't have time for it. You're brown like me, in those realms of study, you're life is studying. So life in that regard keeps you busy. If I had time, I would love to take those new coach's film tape and really do good break downs. I still may but selection of plays not a whole game.

I do miss my VHS recording for super slow game . I liked it better than DVR.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Yeah, I am in the same boat. Moving from business to health care, be it med school or PA school, I won't have time for it. You're brown like me, in those realms of study, you're life is studying. So life in that regard keeps you busy. If I had time, I would love to take those new coach's film tape and really do good break downs. I still may but selection of plays not a whole game.

I do miss my VHS recording for super slow game . I liked it better than DVR.
Yeah man I hear ya. You know how us brownies do. We go through education until our bodies fall apart. I still have to get my project management degree and engineering masters so I'm looking at another 4 years part time.

I ditched the PhD. Too much work part time and the salary reward isn't worth it. I can make just as much if not more through other endeavors. And in a shorter amount of time.

How many years you have left in your undergrad?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:22 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Yeah man I hear ya. You know how us brownies do. We go through education until our bodies fall apart. I still have to get my project management degree and engineering masters so I'm looking at another 4 years part time.

I ditched the PhD. Too much work part time and the salary reward isn't worth it. I can make just as much if not more through other endeavors. And in a shorter amount of time.

How many years you have left in your undergrad?
Well this point it's post bach stuff. I been done with under grad since 2004. I worked and now want to switch careers, so had to do all the sciences which I never really had to focus in my undergrad. After this A & P 2 class, I will apply to 3 more med schools. If I get in, I go, if not, then I have 1 class which is Micro left. Then, I guess study for the GRE and after that apply.

If they stick to the whole 500-2000 hours of direct patient contact, then I will need to do that before applying which will hurt and waste time.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Well this point it's post bach stuff. I been done with under grad since 2004. I worked and now want to switch careers, so had to do all the sciences which I never really had to focus in my undergrad. After this A & P 2 class, I will apply to 3 more med schools. If I get in, I go, if not, then I have 1 class which is Micro left. Then, I guess study for the GRE and after that apply.

If they stick to the whole 500-2000 hours of direct patient contact, then I will need to do that before applying which will hurt and waste time.
I hear ya. I recently did a career change myself. Scientist to engineer. I think i'm gonna stick with this though, I enjoy it a lot more.

I was tired of being a lab rat. You do all the work and get none of the credit. Some guy with a desk job who manages the project takes all the credit for your hard work and you just slave away in the lab. I had enough of it. So I decided to set up my career so I'm that douchebag in the office area that gets the credit. Which is kind of where I'm at now, I manage projects in engineering.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Lab work is the worst. So ******* boring just following someone else's protocols all the time. ugh, so glad I was able to figure out how much I hated it early on in undergrad. Not that that's kept me from staying in science while I figure out how the hell I'm supposed to make a living working in film, but at least I know to be trying to figure out how to do something that'll make me happy.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Rosebud : 05-24-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:42 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I hear ya. I recently did a career change myself. Scientist to engineer. I think i'm gonna stick with this though, I enjoy it a lot more.

I was tired of being a lab rat. You do all the work and get none of the credit. Some guy with a desk job who manages the project takes all the credit for your hard work and you just slave away in the lab. I had enough of it. So I decided to set up my career so I'm that douchebag in the office area that gets the credit. Which is kind of where I'm at now, I manage projects in engineering.
yeah I remember you telling me you didn't like that. So what kind of engineering you focusing on now? Yeah you have to be happy with what you're doing or everyday will be a grind in life. I want to be in a stable, be it broken, health care field. I enjoy it a lot. So we will see if I get in or not, if not then Plan B and become a PA.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
yeah I remember you telling me you didn't like that. So what kind of engineering you focusing on now? Yeah you have to be happy with what you're doing or everyday will be a grind in life. I want to be in a stable, be it broken, health care field. I enjoy it a lot. So we will see if I get in or not, if not then Plan B and become a PA.
Process engineering. I love working with equipment, designing equipment, and optimizing it as well as the modifying the process flow path of large molecules itself. I won't bore you with the details bc it can get complicated.

I learned to enjoy it. I made the mistake early in my career of doing what you're "supposed" to do instead of what I wanted to do, as most brownies can relate to, and it took awhile to find a nice happy medium.

Quote:
Lab work is the worst. So ******* boring just following someone else's protocols all the time. ugh, so glad I was able to figure out how much I hated it early on in undergrad. Not that that's kept me from staying in science while I figure out how the hell I'm supposed to make a living working in film, but at least I know to be trying to figure out how to do something that'll make me happy.
That's how every lab rat starts out. You first are a tech who learns how to use the equipment/protocols etc. Then as you develop you learn the science behind it and start doing your own experiments/analyze data as a mid level scientist that can make adjustments on the fly, then when you become senior you run a lab and basically have the young guys run your experiments and you sit at the desk, analyze data and make adjustments to experiments based on trends or whatever it is you're looking for.

The science/engineering world is so diverse and there are so many directions you can go. You have to find what you enjoy in it and make a career path out of it. It takes awhile to figure out sometimes.