Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts A Place to Post and Discuss Your Own Mock Drafts

Old 05-23-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mock, Mock, Mock, all year long... Bloggerish style.

Last year at this time, I was excited about the QB classes potential, even thinking that it could be compared to the 83' QB draft class. Needless to say as the season and then off season progressed, I became continually disappointed, then watched my top three prospects fall into the 3rd and 4th rounds respectively. This year I see two heavy hitters at QB heading into the 2013 season, Bridgewater and Boyd, both of whom I see ending up at the top of the first round, the rest to me are alot like this past years class, holey...
The position I am the most excited about heading into this season is the offensive tackle class. Yup, excited about the o-line... I have 6 guys who I could see end up going in the top 10 potentially, and a guard I think could play RT, making 7 potential T's in the first round.
I like the potential corner depth, with 5 CB's in the first round mock alone. Not so hot on the safeties though, or running backs for that matter.
I like the pass rushers too, having 8 going in this first round mock, highlighted by the potential toast of the draft: Jedaveon Clowney who might be the most talented player in the draft and recent memory, but may not even the first or second pick. These 3 area's mostly comprise this mock, accounting for 20 of the 32 picks.
The "Potential" and "Oops" categories is a floor/ceiling range type of thought at this time, things will, do and are going to change alot between now and the 2014 draft.
The order was loosely and I mean loosely put together with minimum thought and is subject to change without any notice, if the order offends you.... Grow up??
If you are wondering if Poz51 has any accuracy with this type of draft/picks, here is my recent history, do with it as you please:

2012 May Mock - 1st Round picks: 10 ended up in the first round,
2nd -3rd Round picks: 9 went in these rounds,
4th-7th Round picks: 5 went in the later rounds,
UDFA: 3 players projected in the first ended up UDFA's.
Returned to school: 5 players returned to school.

2011 May Mock - 1st Round picks: 16 ended up in the first round.
2nd - 3rd Round picks: 7 went in these rounds.
4th - 7th Round picks: 8 went in the later rounds.
Returned to school: 1 player returned to school.

As for the potential of the 2014 draft, I see it being deep with 1st round talent well into the 2nd round, there are names not in this mock, that could easily fit. In a ying-yang kind of way I see the talent in this draft taking a sharp decline starting in the 3rd round, making it top heavy compared to the solid depth throughout the 2013 draft. As always I will reply when I can, enjoy :)

2014 NFL Mock Draft
v.1.0

1 – Oakland – Teddy Bridgewater (QB – Louisville)
Bridgewater has it all, he has the ability to throw the ball anywhere on the field he wants with pin point accuracy, is athletic and can make damaging yards with his legs, has the football IQ and natural feel for the game that can’t be taught, a strong arm to make tight window throws, is tough and un-phased by pressure and has the work ethic coaches drool over. Clowney me this, and Clowney me that, one thing is for sure, you need a quarterback to win consistently in this league, and Bridgewater is on the fast track to Andrew Luck and RGIII level of quarterback play and future in the NFL, at the most important position in the league. This is not a Mario Williams vs. Reggie Bush draft type of comparison; it’s 1989 draft scenario, Troy Aikman or Derrick Thomas (taking nothing away from the greatness of the late, great #58), who do you take to win Super Bowls? The Cowboys chose wisely, plain and simple both were worthy of the #1 pick, but without a quarterback in this league then and now, you are not winning. Fast forward to 2014, similar scenario, plain and simple, Bridgewater is the pick.
Potential: #1 Pick
Oops: Top 10

2 – Jacksonville – Tajh Boyd (QB – Clemson)
I can hear it now…. “Ok, Bridgewater at 1, fair enough, but Boyd over Clowney at 2; LOOOLLLLZZZZ, no one is taking a 6’1” quarterback at 2 over J. Clowney, no one!!” If Jacksonville is picking at #2 for the second consecutive year, they are/could be. Anyone who thinks this pick is crazy and Boyd in not any good, do yourself a favor and watch one game/tape/YouTube highlight; The 2012 Chick-fil-A Bowl, and yes that’s LSU’s defense beating him up, and Boyd making the plays to win the game. Boyd can take a beating and keep ticking, he has progressed and improved every year since high school, his accuracy and decision making have improved each year and within each season, has a strong arm, has good deep ball accuracy from what I have seen, will put the ball in the tight window and trust his receiver to make the catch, can keep a play going in and out of the pocket, athletic enough to escape and gain yards with his feet, makes good decisions and is a natural leader, who teammates go to bat for. Boyd’s progression from high school through his years so far at Clemson should be obvious to anyone who’s been paying attention, and I don’t see that changing. The Russell Wilson comparisons will be common place soon enough, if anyone in the league has been paying attention and learned from their mistakes, Boyd who could have been the #1 pick in the 2013 draft, and in my opinion easily the #1 QB in the draft had he declared, will come off the board very early in the 2014 draft.
Oops: 2nd Round

3 – N.Y.J. – Jedaveon Clowney (DE – S. Carolina)
J. Clowney’s free fall in Poz51’s 2014 NFL Mock Draft v.1.0 finally ends with the Jets, taking a defensive player with their first pick in the draft, again... Whether it is Rex Ryan or ___________? , as the head coach, Clowney is the most talented athlete in the draft, and should have no problem adjusting to whatever front he asked to play in. Clowney can do it all play the run, rush the passer, is athletic and instinctive enough to drop into coverage and is a steal at the 3rd pick.
Oops: Top 5

4 – San Diego – Jake Matthews (LT – Texas A & M)
Imagine if Matthews and Lewan came out in the 2013 draft… San Diego might have been lucky enough to actually land what could have been one of the big 5, at 11… Fluker, Te’o and K. Allen was a fantastic first 3 rounds to the 2013 draft, but not enough to make an immediate impact with the holes on the roster. The good news is that Matthews has #1 pick type of potential and capable of anchoring the offensive line for the Chargers until Rivers hangs up his cleats for good, Matthews and Fluker are rock solid tackles that give the Chargers offense the potential to do as they please from a tackle stand point, and most importantly give Phillip Rivers a clean pocket to throw from. Matthews could face stiff competition from Cyrus Kouandjio to be the #1 tackle off the board in 2014.
Oops: 1st Round

5 – Detroit – Cyrus Kouandjio (LT – Alabama)
The Lions could easily be in play-offs next year, and just as easily be picking in the top 5 again. It’s no secret that they likely would have drafted a left tackle at 5 in the 2013 draft had there been one available, and the 2014 draft appears to again be loaded, especially at the top, and protecting M. Stafford is going to be a priority, especially if R. Reiff struggles at left tackle this year. Detroit would love to get some secondary help, but with no corners rated this high yet (#1 pick potential), and the depth at the position looking good again well into the second round, the Lions look to upgrade the oline. C.Kouandjio has all the tools to be an elite left tackle in the NFL, with the arm length to keep pass rushers at bay, strength and technique to drive block large men out of the way, intelligence and feel for the game to understand the nuances of blitz pick up and stunt recognition, Kouandjio should, like Matthews the pick before anchor the blind side for the rest of his franchise QB’s career. One more injury free season should put that part of Kouandjio’s history behind him and he could be the #1 tackle off the board in 2014.
Oops: Top 20

6 – Philadelphia – Marquis Lee (WR – U.S.C.)
Chip Kelly runs the card up to the podium himself, having already cut all the phone cords in the Eagles war room. Lee’s a true football player who plays the game faster than I think he will time and has elite body control, hands (can catch the clock) and innate instincts receiving the ball. Lee can tight rope and double tap on the sideline, sets up and adjusts his routes based on the defensive backs coverage which creates natural separation. With the ball in his hands Lee has elite level change of direction skills

7 – Cleveland – Bradley Roby (CB – Ohio St.)
They really put the clamps down in the Browns front office prior to the 2013 draft, to the point where Mike Mayock commented: “I have no idea what they are going to do, and I don’t think the rest of the league does either.” The Browns will likely want and need a quarterback, but depending on who declares, are A. Murray, A.J. McCarron, D. Carr or D. Fales going to be that enticing? Right now I say no, and the Browns look to fill in a major hole in the secondary with Roby, who with a big season like last year, could draw some serious consideration in the top 5. A hip pocket man corner with elite measurables that translate to the field, would certainly allow the Browns front seven to let loose.
Potential: Top 5

8 - Buffalo - Anthony Barr (OLB - U.C.L.A.)
Jerry Hughes is a stop gap for Buffalo, and a rotational/situational pass rusher. A. Barr is a three down impact defender with excellent athleticism and agility that makes his counter move potential devastating. Barr can hold the point of attack, shed and make the play on the ball carrier in the run game. A big year and progression of his pass rushing moves by Barr could easily land him in the top 5. Let the D. Ware comparisons begin.

9 – Arizona - Taylor Lewan (LT – Michigan)
Arizona should be an improved team next year, and it’s unfortunate that they play in the NFC West. I expect them to still struggle in protection and look to upgrade the oline for a second straight year with T. Lewan who has a real mean streak, and the ability to be a blindside protector for years to come. Lewans development in the new pro-style offense Michigan intends to run this year will have a lot to say about how high he gets drafted, personally I think he will excel.

10 – Carolina – Sammy Watkins (WR – Clemson)
Carolina eventually had to fix the interior of their defensive line, and checked that box of in the 2013 draft. With numerous holes left to fix, the ultra talented Watkins should come in and give C. Newton a fantastic compliment to S. Smith and eventual replacement. I look for Watkins to bounce back from his injury issues this past season and become a top 10 talent, coming off an injury free season.
Potential: Top 10

11 – Pittsburgh –Austin Seferian-Jenkins (TE – Washington)
H. Miller is getting long in the tooth, looking at the wrong side of 30, turning 31 this season and is coming off a late season ACL tear. Giving Big Ben a big safety blanket should help the offense moving forward. Seferian-Jenkins has a DUI arrest, but one incident and plenty of time to show it was a one time incident should not hurt his draft stock.

12 – Tampa Bay – Louis Nix III (DT – Notre Dame)
Tampa looks to solidify its defensive front’s ability to stop the run, something they are already good at, with Nix who along with the current Bucs front seven defenders will allow the revamped secondary to do what they do.
Potential: Top 20

13 – Tennessee – Morgan Breslin (DE – U.S.C.)
Breslin’s first step explosion and relentless attitude make him thorn in any offensive tackle’s side. Should he continue to progress next year and add a couple of pounds, the JUCO transfer could make some serious noise atop the 2014 draft.

14 – Dallas – Jackson Jeffcoat (DE – Texas)
With Jerry running the show you never know.

15 – Kansas City – Stephon Tuitt (DE – Notre Dame)
Bye Tyson Jackson, hello beautiful!!

16 – St. Louis – C.J. Mosley (OLB – Alabama)
The Rams roster is starting to look like that of a genuine contender already, adding a SAM backer like Mosley only makes it nastier defensively and more impressive on paper. Mosley could find his way into the top ten come next April, and pairing his athleticism with that of Ogletree could form something special in nickel packages, let alone in their base defense along with J. Laurinaitis.

17 – Miami – James Hurst (LT – U.N.C.)
Tyson Clabo was a stop gap/best available option for Atlanta over the last 4 years or so with Atlanta, basically playing on 1 year contracts. I don’t believe things will be any different in Miami, who takes Hurst, who with some improvement with his technique could challenge the top tackles come April. If J. Martin can’t handle LT, he could be moved back to RT, or Hurst can come in and solidify the RT spot and provide insurance in case Martin goes down at LT. Hurst’s athleticism would be a natural fit into the Miami offensive scheme.

18 – Chicago – Jason Verrett (CB – T.C.U.)
Charles Tillman will turn 33 at the end of next season, he also happens to be a UFA after the season and the Bears have done a nice job of laying the foundation of turning over their defense the past couple drafts, and look to Verrett to provide immediate dividends.

19 – St. Louis (via. Washington) – Colt Lyerla (TE – Oregon)
I keep hearing comparisons to “the Gronk”, hmmm…. More like Jimmy Graham to me, but who really cares what I think? Anyway, playing in the NFC West and having already added T. Austin in 2013, the Rams look to further bolster their offense with Lyerla who can challenge the seams with his speed and is athletic enough to set up defenders on breaking routes. Lyerla does not have the production to warrant this pick yet, but I expect him to be utilized more this upcoming season and really break out.
Oops: 3rd Round

20 – New Orleans – Kyle Van Noy (OLB – B.Y.U.)
I would not be surprised if Van Noy’s production dropped a little in 2013, I also do not care as if teams were not already focused on him enough in 2012. Van Noy, while not as athletic as Z. Ansah has all the tools to not only be productive in college but in the NFL as well. Van Noy should be a welcome addition to the Saints 3-4 defense which currently has J. Vilma starting on the right side.

21 – Indianapolis – Donte Moncrief (WR – Ole Miss)
Moncrief won me over the last two games of the season, when he absolutely tore apart 2 second round corners from Mississippi State, some guys named Banks and Clay, that happened after that same Miss. St. team watched Moncrief tear apart an L.S.U. secondary that had a little NFL talent in it itself the week before. Moncrief has very good body control, will high point and make the catch in traffic, is a powerful runner who can break through tackles, and an extra gear when he senses the end zone. Although I do not think he has elite speed by any means, Moncrief has very good athleticism and although inconsistent in his production at Ole Miss, I believe would be a monster with a quarterback like Andrew Luck throwing him the ball. I really want to go with some offensive line help here, but Reggie Wayne is not getting any younger, DHB is… well there is some potential there and he has made progress recently in his career and T.Y. Hilton is best suited in the slot and I like the oline depth into the second round. Defense is a possibility but if you have a franchise QB, why not surround him with weapons?

22 – N.Y.G. – Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (CB – Oregon)
The Giants will have several free agent corners next year, none of which inspire confidence at the position, nor have really proved worth retaining over a younger more promising prospect like Ifo (ee-fo).
Ifo forms half of one of the top corner back tandems in college football, his athleticism, footwork and ability to make a play on the ball could have him as one of the top corners in the draft come next April.

23 – Houston – A.J. Johnson (ILB – Tennessee)
Johnson is one of my favorite prospects entering the 2013 season; a guy who I believe can be the whole package as a 3 down linebacker. The Texans might not need him, but might not be able to pass either.

24 – Minnesota – HaHa Clinton-Dix (S – Alabama)
Mistral Raymond from what I have seen is listed as the Vikings starter, or potential starter at SS, HaHa… Who??
Oops: 3rd Round

25 – New England – Timmy Jernigan (DT – F.S.U.)
Putting a 3 technique like Jernigan next to Wilfork, Chandler and Ninkovich does not seem like a bad thing to me, if I were a member of the Patriots coaching staff and/or front office.

26 – Green Bay – Antonio Richardson (LT – Tennessee)
Anyone who can essentially stalemate Jedaveon Clowney on a gimpy knee until the last play of the game has to have some serious skills. Richardson is ultra talented and ultra competitive, I would not be surprised one bit to hear his name in the top 10 in the next draft, or to hear him go first of all the tackles.

27 – Baltimore – David Yankey (LT – Stanford)
Bryant McKinnie will turn 34 in September and should a long term solution at LT be able to secured, Ozzie Newsome will pull the trigger. McKinnie has had a long and very good career in the NFL after being the second tackle selected in his draft (Cheers to you Tom Donahoe, fool…), unfortunately his career is winding down and Yankey can come in start if need be, if not get stronger and learn how to play the pro game in preparation for protecting Joe Flacco’s blind side. Yankey is a physically imposing, strong, versatile having played left guard and tight end, and athletic, capable of moving in space and hitting moving targets. Yankey is part of a tackle class that could easily double the top talent that came out in 2013, and be the deepest anyone has ever seen, potentially in my opinion at this butt crack of dawn time in the 2014 NFL draft process.

28 – Seattle – Ryan Shazier (OLB – O.S.U.)
Shazier could be all pro caliber weakside backer in the right system, and luckily for Seattle, they have a defense Shazier could thrive in. While his stats would lead you to believe Shazier is a fantastic tackler, he needs to improve his technique, he goes for the big hit instead of wrapping up and is not going to shed many blocks and make a stop. Shazier, outside of that, is phenomenal prospect all around, athletic with short area and long range speed that makes him a capable man to man defender, but combined with his instincts makes him an excellent read and react zone defender. I see a lot of similarities to Alec Ogletree in regards to their on the field play, nothing with regards to their off the field behavior as I am unaware of any such incidents Shazier has had.
Potential: 1st Round

29 – Cincinnati – Adrian Hubbard (OLB – Alabama)
Cincy is poised to make a serious run at the Superbowl this year and currently is brandishing James Harrison and Aaron Maybin as “SAM” backers. Ouch… Hubbard has the athletic ability and strength to play in either scheme defensively at OLB.

30 – Atlanta –Cyril Richardson (G/T – Baylor)
For the 3rd straight year, there could be at least one guard with a top 10 grade on him from myself entering the draft. Richardson is an animal for the Bears and should have no problem adapting to the NFL as an immediate starter at guard, and I think could play RT as well. Richardson is a mauler in the run game, and has good footwork and technique in pass protection. Although he might not play at a position of perceived need, Richardson in this mock is the best available player and further enhances the run and pass offense in Atlanta.

31 – Denver – Aaron Colvin (CB – Oklahoma)
Who knows where Colvin could ultimately end up in the 2014 NFL draft, what I do know is that Champ Bailey is going to be 35 on June 22nd, DRC is barely serviceable as a NFL corner at this point in his career and the depth is questionable. Corner looks like a position of dire need potentially heading into the 2014 draft and Colvin could be a day one starter.

32 – San Francisco – Louchiez Purifoy (CB – Florida)
Carlos Rogers turns 32 in July, 33 next July and is getting deeper into the dreaded “wrong side of 30”, speaking of which, Nnamdi Asomugha is in a very similar boat age wise and is on a one year deal. Tarell Brown also happens to be a free agent after the upcoming season, something has to give, and reinforcements should be acquired via the draft. Purifoy is an interesting prospect who Florida is looking at playing two ways in the fall. Purifoy has excellent man cover skills, which remind me of Janoris Jenkins while he was at Florida, hopefully Purifoy who has some off the field concerns somewhat similar to those of Jenkins can keep his nose clean and reach his full potential on the field.

Last edited by Poz51 : 05-23-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Poz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

11 for the steelers is just hurtful. They were 6-3 when ben got hurt and he was 17-4 TD-Int. On pace for his most efficient season ever. That was with a WR that quit and zero running game.

That being said, ASJ <3
Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
11 for the steelers is just hurtful. They were 6-3 when ben got hurt and he was 17-4 TD-Int. On pace for his most efficient season ever. That was with a WR that quit and zero running game.

That being said, ASJ <3
Aging defense, unproven youth along the lines and in the defense (feels like its turning over to me) in general, aging TE coming off of knee surgery, top deep threat gone in FA, although I agree Big Ben is poised to carry the team again, thats a tough division to have these type of issues. However they could easily be picking lower as they do have BB and a solid roster, who knows...

I like the fit as well :)
Old 05-23-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The defense isnt really aging...they got rid of harrison and hampton, keisel is getting up there but he will likely be a rotational player. Cam Heyward, Al Woods, and Steve Mcclendon are good, solid young players on the dline.

Keenan lewis had a massively overrated season. Cortez Allen will step in and make everyone forget about lewis. Ike is still playing at a high level but they have Curtis Brown (who has had a problem with playing too out of control, like lewis did) and Terry Hawthorne, not to mention Williams *** who was solid during his time here (except when covering Gronk, or TO)

Troy and Clark are old, but they drafted Shamarko Thomas to replace Troy and even as a long time clark hater hes been playing some of his best football lately.

Mike wallace quit on the team last year, but Sanders, brown, wheton, cothery, and burress are plenty enough...i think they will try to sign breaston as well.

They are High on David Paulson who played decent as a rookie, but Heath is on pace to be ready by week one, it would be great if he could get some camp and preseason in but i wont hold my breath. Haley was never really a TE guy before he fell in love with Heath, so it might actually help develop some WRs to break out. I wasnt in love with Leveon Bell but Tomin and Haley both GUSHED over him. They think hes somewhere between Foster and Forte as a back, I was more calling him Tony Hunt, but hell if they are moving towards zone blocking with the athletic oline they have im all for it if he can run patiently enough and catch as well as them to pull off those comparisons

With wideouts they have been cranking guys out for a while...they had holmes, nate washington, and wallace all replace each other and all lead the league in YPC at least one year. All signed mega deals with other teams, wheaton is the next guy up. They are a bit smaller at WR than id like to see, but it seems to have been that way since Plax left in 05

Last edited by K Train : 05-23-2013 at 01:32 PM.
K Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another Top 10 pick? I die a little inside, but can't say it isn't expected. Hopefully it is a "hopeful" top 10 pick where we have hope with EJ going into the future.

That being said, Barr scares me a little. I was impressed with him the few times I watched UCLA, but I would be scared to think we were drafting another "Maybin" with his size. I don't think he is as raw as him coming out, but he still isn't NFL ready imo. I wouldn't be upset with taking him, but just a little scared.

Overall - I like the players in your 1st round, and you know I'm feeling Jernigan in the 1st all day. I would be upset watching him going to the damn Pats tho and Clowney falling to the Jets at 3 would make me weep.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is absolutely no way the best DE to come out since Reggie White goes #3 overall, especially behind an undersized and overweight QB.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love the Eagles pick.

However, I scratch my head at the 2nd Rams pick...they just signed Cook to a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:36 PM    (permalink
ChicagoBearsVet23
Veteran

ChicagoBearsVet23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChicagoBearsVet23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChicagoBearsVet23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChicagoBearsVet23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChicagoBearsVet23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChicagoBearsVet23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChicagoBearsVet23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChicagoBearsVet23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChicagoBearsVet23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChicagoBearsVet23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChicagoBearsVet23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't know much about the prospect but know that CB will be #1 need.
ChicagoBearsVet23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:38 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
I love the Eagles pick.

However, I scratch my head at the 2nd Rams pick...they just signed Cook to a big deal.
I do to, people talking Lee down IMO must not have watched him play, or have "watched" alot of football, but were "playing" too much madden instead of playing on the field. Anyway...

I figured many would do some "scratching" about that Rams pick, I just look at some of the offenses I consider the best most progressive in the league, New England, San Francisco, Baltimore and what the Bengals and others are going to do with two TE sets, the diversity it brings to an offense as well as the miss-matches it creates and I think the Rams would be very well served adding this element to thier offense and building on the Austin pick to compete in that division.

On a side note, I dont think Cook is all that special (a nice #2 IMO, but over paid, and Lyerla's contract would not be cost prohibative at 19), nice physical tools, poor (although improving) transition/translation to the field, his career production is less impressive than Jimmy Graham's 2011 or 2012 indiviual seasons IMO, and I think Lyerla has Jimmy Graham type potential as a #1 type of target. I also think Bradford's best football was played with a quality TE at Oklahoma, and his abilities would be enhanced by passing out of two TE sets.
Thats all just my opinion though.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
The defense isnt really aging...they got rid of harrison and hampton, keisel is getting up there but he will likely be a rotational player. Cam Heyward, Al Woods, and Steve Mcclendon are good, solid young players on the dline.

Keenan lewis had a massively overrated season. Cortez Allen will step in and make everyone forget about lewis. Ike is still playing at a high level but they have Curtis Brown (who has had a problem with playing too out of control, like lewis did) and Terry Hawthorne, not to mention Williams *** who was solid during his time here (except when covering Gronk, or TO)

Troy and Clark are old, but they drafted Shamarko Thomas to replace Troy and even as a long time clark hater hes been playing some of his best football lately.

Mike wallace quit on the team last year, but Sanders, brown, wheton, cothery, and burress are plenty enough...i think they will try to sign breaston as well.

They are High on David Paulson who played decent as a rookie, but Heath is on pace to be ready by week one, it would be great if he could get some camp and preseason in but i wont hold my breath. Haley was never really a TE guy before he fell in love with Heath, so it might actually help develop some WRs to break out. I wasnt in love with Leveon Bell but Tomin and Haley both GUSHED over him. They think hes somewhere between Foster and Forte as a back, I was more calling him Tony Hunt, but hell if they are moving towards zone blocking with the athletic oline they have im all for it if he can run patiently enough and catch as well as them to pull off those comparisons

With wideouts they have been cranking guys out for a while...they had holmes, nate washington, and wallace all replace each other and all lead the league in YPC at least one year. All signed mega deals with other teams, wheaton is the next guy up. They are a bit smaller at WR than id like to see, but it seems to have been that way since Plax left in 05
With Ike, Troy and Ryan being 33, 33 and 32 respectively in the secondary, Foote being 33 and Kiesel 34 come opening day I guess the "aging defense" is debateable, I still like the turning over/unproven youth description, I do like the potential of the young guys on defense, I was a big Chris Carter fan coming out of the draft, V. Williams and S. Thomas are two guys I liked alot in this past draft. In my opinion they have not proven anything yet, but I would not be surprised to see them come in and prove their mettle.

I am sure they will find a way to get production out of thier WR's, especially with BB's ability to extend plays, I have not read anything about Miller being ready for opening day, or that there is a time table for his return. Even if he does come back sooner rather than later, I dont see him being the same right away, he's not AP in terms of his athletic ability IMO.

The oline should be better, although I am not sold on Adams or Gilbert yet, lots of potential for sure, and I am on the fence with Bell, but I would expect the offensive line to be solid at worst in getting push and the run game to be dramatically better this year.

Good point about the replacement WR's, but can that last??

Anyway, it'll be interesting in Pittsburgh, I do think they could be a better team than I have them slotted in this mock and would not be surprised if they were picking lower (as in lower in the draft, pick 24 for example).
Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the saints would pick tiny richardson in that board but the saints always refuse to pick the OLB they need so its a good pick for the saints every year

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
Another Top 10 pick? I die a little inside, but can't say it isn't expected. Hopefully it is a "hopeful" top 10 pick where we have hope with EJ going into the future.

That being said, Barr scares me a little. I was impressed with him the few times I watched UCLA, but I would be scared to think we were drafting another "Maybin" with his size. I don't think he is as raw as him coming out, but he still isn't NFL ready imo. I wouldn't be upset with taking him, but just a little scared.

Overall - I like the players in your 1st round, and you know I'm feeling Jernigan in the 1st all day. I would be upset watching him going to the damn Pats tho and Clowney falling to the Jets at 3 would make me weep.
As you know I am a huge fan of the direction the franchise is taking as a whole, and even though I am not a Manuel fan, I am sipping the kool aid. New systems, young WR's, potentially a rookie QB starting and not a real favorable schedule usually means a rough first season under the new regime. I am actually liking thier chances starting in 2014-15, anything before then is a nice bonus, they will be entertaining though. I like the "hopefull" thought going into the future, and really hope that is the case.

I figured you'd like seeing your boy in the first, although the location, along with Clowney's would be discouraging for sure.

As for Barr, I dont see Maybin at all, Barr put on about 10 more pounds last year and kept his athleticism, where Maybin "bulked" up for the combine and lost his first step explosion and his athleticism. Maybin although 6'4" as well, played 4-3 DE at 230ish at P.S.U., and Barr has played OLB in a 3-4 at 245 (9pounds less than D. Ware) shown he can put on weight and still excell. He is still raw, but he has the vision and instincts Maybin never had, and if you get a chance to watch him against D. Bakhtiari of Colorado last year, watch the spin move he uses, perfect balance and control, while not quite D. Freeney as he does not bend as well with his lower body yet or use the offenders body against him, its still impressive and gets him inside quickly to make a sack. I like that I dont see him taking plays off, some say he is slow to chase on the backside, I have not watched enough of that aspect to know if he is slacking or maintaining backside discipline.
I was hoping he would have come out this past year, but did not blame him for going back, as the sky is the limit for him, if he builds on and continue's to develop and progress he should be something special. He does need to get a little stronger to hold up in the NFL, but I suspect he'll be working on that this year. I'll be disapointed if his development is stunted, he's an athlete that all the big boys wanted coming out of high school to play various positions, but has certainly seemed to have found a home at OLB. Hopefully he eases your apprehension this year, I am looking forward to watching him without Jones there anymore and teams focusing on him more.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
There is absolutely no way the best DE to come out since Reggie White goes #3 overall, especially behind an undersized and overweight QB.

Tajh Boyd: 6'1", 225 lbs.

Aaron Rodgers: 6'2", 225 lbs.
1' taller and just as over weight as Boyd... Also the best QB in football, according to his contract. Won a Superbowl...

Robert Griffin III: 6'2", 217.
1' taller and 8 lbs lighter, clearly not undersized and in peak physical condition in relation to Boyd. Took a bad team to the playoffs...

Drew Brees: 6', 209 lbs.
1' shorter, 16 pounds less, clearly undersized, but at 209 a physical marvel, although his flak-jacket makes him look overweight too... Won a Superbowl...

Russell Wilson: 5'11", 206 lbs.
2' shorter and 19 lbs lighter, clearly undersized but not over weight...
He made the play-offs.

Christian Ponder: 6'2", 229 lbs.
1' taller and 4 lbs heavier, a undersized, overweight bastard fo-sho... Play-offs?? Play-offs??

Speaking of Reggie White, was it not until he joined forces with the 6'2" (undersized) and 222ish lb (a big mac away from being "overweight") Brett Farve, that Reggie won a Superbowl?

Clowney might be the best since and have the same career that White had, but with out a QB, Jacksonville or Oakland isnt winning one, even with Clowney putting up R. White #s without a QB.
Aikman (Superbowl winner) before D. Thomas, Peyton Manning (Superbowl winner) before Andre Wadsworth, 5 QB's went before J. Kearse and the Titans drafted S. McNair a couple years earlier instead of taking Kevin Carter, Vick before Justin Smith, we can talk 2002 and 2012 drafts if you would like, Alex Smith went before D. Ware and S. Merriman (the chargers already had their QB Rivers) who went before Aaron (undersized and overweight) Rodgers (Superbowl winner)and how has that worked out Dallas? Mario Williams did go before V. Young.... Chris Long went before Matt Ryan, but last I checked Long hasn't turned the Rams around like Ryan has gotten the Falcons to the NFC Chanpionship game. Imagine if the Lions went with T. Jackson over M. Stafford?? Ew...

My point in all of this is this: Saying Tajh Boyd is undersized and overweight in comparison to current NFL QB's who have reached the play-offs and/or won Superbowls is borderline ignorant and stupid when you look at their height and weight.
Additionally history tells us quarterbacks go before pass rushers and have a more significant impact. If Al Davis is drafting for Jacksonville and they have a chance to land a franchise caliber QB or a Freakish DE, then yes I agree Clowney goes first. The game is skewed towards the offense today, and history and fact aside, no one is taking a DE over a franchise QB IMO if they want to win a Superbowl. Its a QB driven league, plain and simple.
Look at the Dallas examples if nothing else, Aikman over Thomas and Ware over Rodgers. Aikman and Rodgers have the hardware, Thomas and Ware while great and impact players, no hardware...

Should Boyd not end up being what I think he will, and Bridgewater ends up being the only top QB in the class, then yes IMO Clowney goes to Jacksonville #2 in this scenerio.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:36 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I think the saints would pick tiny richardson in that board but the saints always refuse to pick the OLB they need so its a good pick for the saints every year
If enough people mock us a OLB, maybe eventually well draft one.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:38 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
nah, well just draft DBs who blow (vaccaro), who we dont need (robinson) or who need a position change making them a huge project (jenkins) in the first and see how that goes

of well just draft offense at spots we dont need help (ingram maechem) for kicks

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Probably depends on who's drafting. I'm not big on Boyd, would rather Mariota, Manziel or Hundley to be honest. For any of these guys sake ending up in Oakland is probably not going to be good for one's health.

I liken Clowney more to a Lawrence Taylor who i thought was more valuable than a Reggie White. Elite company no matter.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Quote:
nah, well just draft DBs who blow (vaccaro), who we dont need (robinson) or who need a position change making them a huge project (jenkins) in the first and see how that goes

of well just draft offense at spots we dont need help (ingram maechem) for kicks
Quote:
I hope the Saints sake they take a guy like Van Noy next year at OLB should one be there, I completely agree that they pass on them too often and eventually have to address the position through the draft.
Good point on the Saints questionable past drafts, I agree.
As for Tiny, I thought about him at that spot and think he is a better prospect than Armstead who I like alot, but having already taken Armstead I went with Van Noy... Maybe this is the year ;)
Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Probably depends on who's drafting. I'm not big on Boyd, would rather Mariota, Manziel or Hundley to be honest. For any of these guys sake ending up in Oakland is probably not going to be good for one's health.

I liken Clowney more to a Lawrence Taylor who i thought was more valuable than a Reggie White. Elite company no matter.
It all depends on who is drafting for sure. I am most interested in Mariota myself, I think he needs some more seasoning (IMO 2 years worth), but he could easily IMO end up being the most talented. Manziel will be interesting to watch, but I dont see much room for NFL growth myself. Hundley is intriguing to me, wierd motion, I dont see the arm strength I hear about, sometimes pinpoint accuract, some times... not so much...
I would liken Clowney more towards Taylor too, although different (bigger?) like a Taylor/Peppers love child?? In regards to the blend of thier physical attributes/abilities.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:29 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd prefer Tiny Richardson or Seantrel Henderson over James Hurst. Not sure he has any business in the top 20, but I guess we'll see this season.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Agree. I think we'll have to see if Teddy Bridgewater grades out to be in a class with Elway, Aikman and Luck because that is what it would take for me to pass on Clowney. Boyd over him is rediculous.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poz51 View Post
Tajh Boyd: 6'1", 225 lbs.
He will NOT measure out to 6'1 at the Combine, I guarantee it. My guess is he is closer to 5'11 than 6'1.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
I'd prefer Tiny Richardson or Seantrel Henderson over James Hurst. Not sure he has any business in the top 20, but I guess we'll see this season.
One of the three you mentioned can find their way to Seattle.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
I am liking Richardson more the more I see him and would put him over Hurst myself today. Hurst I do think has a ton of potential. Obviously alot will play out this season, it will be fun to watch.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Agree. I think we'll have to see if Teddy Bridgewater grades out to be in a class with Elway, Aikman and Luck because that is what it would take for me to pass on Clowney. Boyd over him is rediculous.
Ridiculous? Why? Opinion aside, can someone give me a fact or counter point to what I have said, that does not involve thier opinion. I get Clowney's potential, and his ability, but what DE has ever led his team to a superbowl with out a franchise QB?

I get that there are alot of moving pieces and variables with regards to team dynamics, but what piece is more important than a QB?

T.J. Graham, Quinton Coples (DE - Some had a top 5 grade on), Stephen Hill, Mitchell Schwartz, Michael Floyd, Justin Blackmon, Stephon Gilmore, Dontari Poe, Brandon Weeden, Andre Branch, Donald Stephenson and Bryan Anger all seem Ridiculous picks taken over Russell Wilson, but hindsight is 20/20.

Who wouldn't trade any of those players for all of 5'11" Russell Wilson now?
Any one think the Seahawks would gamble and take Irvin over Wilson had they known?

Derrick Thomas had 27 sacks in a season and still did not go first, second or third in the draft, despite being the best prospect since, LT, Reggie or anyone else in many opinons at the time. Aikman 1, DT - 4, Superbowls: Aikman - Yes, Thomas - No...

Will Boyd be Aikman? I have no clue. I just know what I have seen from him, and what history has shown, and I will a franchise caliber QB over a franchise DE everytime.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't deny the Vikings need at safety opposite of Harry Smith, but I think DE will have to be one of our biggest needs next draft.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote