Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Blast From the Past

I found an old laptop of mine today, and stumbled across some draft links i had saved for whatever reason. Either way it is very interesting because without the link I have found no way to actually find the sites other wise. Upon finding these links I figured I would share as a sort of hindsite 20-20 type thing and a look at some players and how they predicted them.

Here are some of the Broncos.

Deltha O'Neal - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/40619.html

**Pretty Spot on considering he made the pro-bowl right away as a returner

Ron Dayne - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/12465.html

** Interesting that they make reference to being powerfull as that was always his knock in the NFL, he was a big man that didnt play big.

Quentin Jammer - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/99580.html

**He was recruited and started out as a Safety at Texas, but i guess due to his speed and coverage skills got moved to CB

Peyton Manning - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...players/4.html

** I think this profile is hilarious because they say he has mobility, might have already hit his ceiling, they say he has potential to be a solid/productive nfl qb that doesnt possess HOF skill..

"he is not quite as natural a player as Leaf. One question that some NFL scouts have is the question “will he get any better?” "

Champ Bailey - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/14934.html

**Pretty much hit this right on the head, everything that Champ has done down to playing a limited WR role.

Al Wilson - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...yers/3501.html

**Just like it panned out his size didnt hold him back, and his speed and passion for the game made him a great player.

Clinton Portis - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/15163.html

** They had it right when they gave him credit for his patience and ability to set up blocks and see the field. But said he lacked big play ability, lacked ability to run outside, and most of all said he lacked burst and speed to break long runs.

Willis McGahee - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...yers/1208.html

** Cant Argue with this one, pretty much summed it up perfectly: Has all the talent in the world, but the injury makes him a HUGE risk... just turns out he was able to bounce back and display some of that skill he had before the injury for over 10 years in the NFL

Boss Bailey - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ayers/732.html

** Another player i feel like they got right... has the talent, but could he stay healthy? The answer was NO... he couldnt stay on the field long enough to show the skill he had.

"Recently ran a forty at 4.35 with a vertical jump of 45.5 inches." To think he was just as fast/faster than Champ, had a higher vert..

Now that i read all of this, im not sure how he ended up as a LB, he has that rare size and speed like a Sean Taylor type of saftey..

** Interesting to note Wes Welker was not listed on their draft site considering he was extremely productive in the Texas Tech spread....they had 85 WRs on the site, not one of them being him

To browse around some more, simply go to google and paste -- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2002/draft/ --

That link and search, you can change the year from 2002 to any year you want and it will bring up that draft.

I was curious to see what players other people were able to find that were either dead wrong or spot on.

Last edited by Denver Bronco56 : 06-10-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Links not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
Newton
South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
Barely literate +5 swagger
Thief +15 swagger
Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
Big, average speed -3 swagger
Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
Total Swagger: 62
ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts
shylo3716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry about that, fixed them.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All Wilson was awesome. Too bad he had to hang it up kind of early because of a neck injury I think it was.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
All Wilson was awesome. Too bad he had to hang it up kind of early because of a neck injury I think it was.
Yeah it was on a routine play against Seattle. I think a swing pass he came up and made the stop, not a vicous hit or anything and next you know he isnt moving and all the players could tell it was serious and started yelling to get the trainers over.

Also reading about the drop off at MLB in his report, he ended up being a far more superior player than the "Big 2"

Last edited by Denver Bronco56 : 06-10-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:43 PM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.

Thanks for posting these. Very interesting.

I clicked on the 2001 link, and what stood out was their 2002 preview (posted on April 25, 2001).

Guess who was their projected 02 #1 at the time? John Henderson. They said that John "Would be a mammoth anchor for Houston to build its defense around".

It is too bad Houston didn't see it that way. David Carr had no business being the #1 pick overall.

This mock didn't even have him in the "other possible first round picks" list at the bottom of the page, let alone the first round.

They had three QB's projected to go in the first round in 2002:

1. Junior Chris Simms (projected to go ninth overall)
2. Junior Carson Palmer (22nd overall)
3. Senior Joey Harrington (32nd overall)

And, in the best of the rest, the QB's they had were Kurt Kittner of Illinois, David Neill of Nevada (never heard of him), and Jason Thomas of UNLV (A guy who would be hyped, but never lived up to it. He may have been the Logan Thomas of 2002).

Last edited by 7DnBrnc53 : 06-12-2013 at 01:47 PM.
7DnBrnc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. Looking at 98 draft QBs list, are those ranked in order of who they thought was the best? If so wow. Not only is Manning behind Leaf, but all the QBs they have ahead of Hasselbeck is funny looking back. Mike McQueary is ahead of Hasselbeck.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for posting these. I'm having fun going back and looking at what guys wrote. This one is great, here's what SI's Dr. Z had to say about his top five WRs in the 98 draft.

Quote:
Note: If you're looking for Marshall's all-world Randy Moss, you won't find him in this list, even if it went 20 deep. Will get downfield in a hurry if they give him room, but he'll get buried by NFL-style bump and run.
His top 5 were. Kevin Dyson, Jacquez Green, Germane Crowell, Marcus Nash and Joe Jurevicius.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great stuff, nice post.
More proof that the geniuses just guess like the rest of us.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.

On the 1999 link, they did a fan poll that dealt with which rookie QB would have the best career.

Couch was first at 27%, which isn't surprising, but Cade McNown was second at 23 %.

BTW, speaking of blast from the past, here is a link to the Google usenet forums for football: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...t.football.pro

You can look up a topic from the 90's or 00's, and find what they were saying on the forums back then about it.

For example, I looked up 1992 NFL Draft, and found a post from that year about the mock that Joel Buschbaum of Pro Football Weekly had posted.

Last edited by 7DnBrnc53 : 06-13-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Yeah I really liked seeing how some of the guys panned out, if they lived up to the hype.. and some of the predictions were just spot on.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Google's usenet archive is a treasure.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:56 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have taken Charles Rogers over Andre as well.

Ehhhh.....

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:21 AM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
ugh, i never wanted to remember deltha o'neal ever again. what a garbage cornerback. if i had to pick between him and alphonso smith, i'd choose ODing on heroin.
I agree. The Broncos moved O'Neal to WR in 2003 for a time because he sucked so bad. I would have rather taken Ron Dayne that year instead of him, although ultimately, we should have drafted Julian Peterson or John Abraham that year.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:42 AM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post

Ehhhh.....
What's funny is that, in that 2003 mock that they had in the 2002 section, they had Roy Williams coming out a year early and being taken ahead of both Rogers and Andre Johnson. They also said that his nickname at Texas was "Legend".
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
ugh, i never wanted to remember deltha o'neal ever again. what a garbage cornerback. if i had to pick between him and alphonso smith, i'd choose ODing on heroin.
HAHHA yeah both were terrible picks...BUT O'neal atleast provided a threat in the return game... but him playing his actual position was a nightmare, and i dont care how good you are you dont draft a return man in the 1st round.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post

Ehhhh.....
About a year ago, Eliot Wolf (Packers Director of Pro Personnel) tweeted "I'd still rather have Charles Rogers than Andre Johnson."
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually had Andre higher than Rogers
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:54 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
About a year ago, Eliot Wolf (Packers Director of Pro Personnel) tweeted "I'd still rather have Charles Rogers than Andre Johnson."
lol that is pretty classic.

Rogers/Andre is pretty similar to AJ/Julio. When those two were coming out, majority were for Rogers with very few liking Andre more. Rogers was considered the polished WR that would come in day 1 and make an impact while Andre was questioned as relying on his athleticism and build to get by so he possibly wasn't capable of being a #1.

Same thing with AJ/Julio where Julio's big question mark was if he could truly run routes and just not depend on his athleticism/build. (I know some people questioned if AJ could break off DBs with his size in the NFL)

In both cases I liked the "accomplished WR" and in both cases the "athletic/potential" WR's have worked out pretty damn good so far.

I still think Rogers was a #1 WR that had bad luck in terms of injury combined with stupidity off the field.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."

Last edited by BallerT1215 : 06-14-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:25 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

You would like to think if he had not suffered the collarbone injuries, then obviously he would have been involved in football and been able to stay away from trouble.

At the same time, we all know you can't fix dumb.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 06-15-2013, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not necessarily directed at anyone in this thread, but I've noticed that a lot of people on this forum have already started the "Oh, I knew Charles Rogers was going to bust" crap like he wouldn't have stuck in the NFL. Watching him for those five starts in his rookie season, you could tell he was going to be good....well, as good as one can be with Joey Harrington doing the passing.

It's a shame that so few people are honest about who they liked and didn't like coming out.

Last edited by Monomach : 06-15-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 PM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

Default Walter Football

Here is Walter Football's 2003 Mock:

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2003.php

Right below it, it has links to the second and third round, plus links to other years.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
Here is Walter Football's 2003 Mock:

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2003.php

Right below it, it has links to the second and third round, plus links to other years.
Holy **** am I glad that we didn't get that draft. Kevin Williams and EJ Henderson were absolutely best case scenario.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote