Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Fantasy > Fantasy Baseball

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So annoying that you can't drop a player after they've already played for the day.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
So annoying that you can't drop a player after they've already played for the day.
Only if they're in your starting lineup. It'd be dumb to have it any other way.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So what do you guys want to do for next year?

Full redraft OR maintain some "legacy picks" where we can keep 1-5 players on our current teams, possibly with loss of draft pick of a corresponding round?
Old 07-01-2013, 02:20 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why are those the only two options?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like those 2 options either.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Why are those the only two options?
They aren't the only two options, but what others are there that might actually fix this mess?

If we still have a lot of keepers (more than 6 or 7), then the playing field will never level off. Anyone that still reads this thread and follows the league knows we need to replace some owners this offseason, so I can't expect to find good new owners if the state of the rosters they're assuming are as bleak as they appear now.

Last edited by Xiomera : 07-01-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:03 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
They aren't the only two options, but what others are there that might actually fix this mess?
Cut the two owners with the lowest total points over the last three seasons.

Then, rather than replace them, just take whoever has the least amount of total points over the last three seasons, take their rosters, and put them into the pot. At that point we can determine how many keepers will be allowed (though I agree that 12 is too much, 6-8 should be fine).

You already created an alternative league that is much bigger and deeper, so the argument for keeping this league so huge makes even less sense. And yes, I will continue to beat this drum. 10 teams with 25+ rosters is more than enough.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Cut the two owners with the lowest total points over the last three seasons.

Then, rather than replace them, just take whoever has the least amount of total points over the last three seasons, take their rosters, and put them into the pot. At that point we can determine how many keepers will be allowed (though I agree that 12 is too much, 6-8 should be fine).

You already created an alternative league that is much bigger and deeper, so the argument for keeping this league so huge makes even less sense. And yes, I will continue to beat this drum. 10 teams with 25+ rosters is more than enough.
I'm not in that league, so I have a different opinion. I love big rosters. I don't have another league to fall back on that plays like this.

The problem with this league is not the disparity in talent. It's some of the owners. Honestly, the only guys I enjoy playing this league with are the ones who commonly post here and the ones that respond to PMs. aka the owners who actually care. A caring owner can turn their team around.

It's not about keepers. I only have 8 keepers on my team from the 12 that I kept. Out of those, I probably would keep 5 after the season. My new keepers are from the draft and the wire. 2 places EVERYONE can go to get new players.

I think 12 keepers is fine. I think the rosters are fine. I think the number of teams is fine. It's about bringing in GMs who are not just active, but HIGHLY ACTIVE and HIGHLY COMPETITIVE. We got some lazy ass guys here. We don't need a change of rules.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

We will maintain 12 members in the league. I do not want rosters to become shallower under any circumstances. It's really, really boring and uncompetitive to have good free agent replacements available. Making the pool of unowned players larger reduces strategy, competition and fun. It makes having depth pointless and creates a league where so many interesting MLB players are irrelevant to our format.

In fact, I don't want to change any roster or scoring settings at all. We just need a fresher start to reboot the competitiveness this league had in Years 1 thru 3.

And to address D's comment, I don't see how you could correct the lack of competitiveness a third of the owners display without giving them a greater chance to make a successful team. I intend to replace people, but even a strong fantasy baseball player like you or I wouldn't be able to do anything to salvage some of these lowly current rosters.

If you guys are insistent upon not redrafting completely, then we're definitely not keeping more than 8 players apiece for next season.

Last edited by Xiomera : 07-01-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There, I dropped Josh Beckett. Guess I don't need to worry about the keeping things since apparently I shouldn't be in the league anymore :roll
Old 07-01-2013, 06:41 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
There, I dropped Josh Beckett. Guess I don't need to worry about the keeping things since apparently I shouldn't be in the league anymore :roll
You're not the biggest culprit of inactivity, so I wouldn't say that's accurate.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
No way you're out.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:13 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

*rolls eyes*

Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
*rolls eyes*
*laughs out loud*
Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
*rolls eyes*
No, I was just rolling, not rolling eyes sir...
Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey, I know I have not had a great deal of success the last couple years but I sure hope I am not cut from the league. I update my lineup everyday and I make trades. I think I have some decent young options on my roster.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

BTW, I say we have a fresh start next season, or the 5-6 keeper thing. Granted, my opinion is not fair cuz I have 0 chance to win with the current state of affairs.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Hey, I know I have not had a great deal of success the last couple years but I sure hope I am not cut from the league. I update my lineup everyday and I make trades. I think I have some decent young options on my roster.
I think that weighs a lot. There have only been 4 trades in this league this year which I think is pathetic. I have been in 2 and you have been in 2.

I think it's the rest of the league that needs to quit playing panty with their teams.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I don't have an issue with giving you another shot next season when either keepers will be drastically cut down or we re-draft. As you said, you haven't been successful, but you are an active trader and poster.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
We will maintain 12 members in the league. I do not want rosters to become shallower under any circumstances. It's really, really boring and uncompetitive to have good free agent replacements available. Making the pool of unowned players larger reduces strategy, competition and fun. It makes having depth pointless and creates a league where so many interesting MLB players are irrelevant to our format.

In fact, I don't want to change any roster or scoring settings at all. We just need a fresher start to reboot the competitiveness this league had in Years 1 thru 3.

And to address D's comment, I don't see how you could correct the lack of competitiveness a third of the owners display without giving them a greater chance to make a successful team. I intend to replace people, but even a strong fantasy baseball player like you or I wouldn't be able to do anything to salvage some of these lowly current rosters.

If you guys are insistent upon not redrafting completely, then we're definitely not keeping more than 8 players apiece for next season.
That's horse ****. We're keeping it at 12 because that's the way we've been playing this season. We've made trades based on that. We've made adds based on that. We've drafted our teams based off that. You're not changing ****.

We already went through this before the season began.

Quote:
I wanna get a sense of how many more seasons you guys want to continue without a reboot of this league ...

Please offer up opinions. If we decide we want to make adjustments, either in the number of keepers or to plan a full re-draft, I don't want the decision to be made without plenty of advance notice.

My line of thinking has always been not to consider starting over until we've at least had a repeat winner of a championship (3 different winners so far).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
I am all for never ever re-drafting ever and always keeping 12, the only thing i'd budge on would put the keepers from 12 to 10, but that's it
Quote:
And D, I'll just say again that we cannot turn this into a dynasty league on the fly. It needs to be committed to from the beginning with a re-draft. Same goes for cutting the number of keepers drastically.
Quote:
We are either keeping the current system or restarting fresh.

I refuse to engage in half measures to correct an obvious problem of competitiveness.
You already were firm in establishing these rules. You can just change your mind on the fly mid season because every team can't compete. There will always be a team at the top and a team at the bottom. This isn't a points based or H2H system. This is how roto works. This season has brought lots of change compared to last season. Brody used to be a perrenial bottom feeder. BF used to be near the top. This season is going by fine. Yeah your team is in a major lead, but honestly, I don't think that matters towards people playing this game the right way.

My only beef is the same people not posting here and adding to the fun. An active thread = a fun season.

...and to a lesser degree people not answering PMs for trade.

Last edited by D-Unit : 07-02-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I'm not reading all of that, D.

I want a redraft. I have been very clear about that, but have asked for realistic alternatives.

None of you have proposed a system that maintains 12 teams and levels the playing field in any meaningful way. Reducing the number of keepers is NOT my preferred method of fixing the league's problems. It is simply my attempt to appease those of you who refuse to accept a re-draft as the only viable method for restoring competitiveness.

Yes, it looks like I've contradicted myself, but that's because I've been met with resistance when attempting to reach a compromise here. Circumstances have changed since I made the post about giving advance warning for format changes. Did we expect I'd lead by a huge margin from wire to wire this season right after the draft? I doubt it.

Seriously, someone suggest a system that actually works before you keep bitching.

Last edited by Xiomera : 07-02-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

D, you simply will never ever find someone to take on Max's god awful team. It is completely devoid of any talent. Prince's perennially bottom-feeding team can't be salvaged either. You've agreed with me not to reduce the number of teams, so I don't see how else to fix it.

You keep saying you want active owners, but all you really want is different managers to take hold of the lousy teams to provide chances to make their teams worse through the trade negotiation you get off on.

I don't blame guys for not caring about responding to your PMs. The disparity between good and bad teams has gotten so wide that there's no point.

Last edited by Xiomera : 07-02-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It doesn't really matter to me what we do. I'll still play, but I've accepted the fact that I just don't have the drive to keep up daily with this league. I think my roster falls somewhere in the middle of the pack. Some year, I hope I can make a run and keep my interest, but it's just tough with how long the season is.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
D, you simply will never ever find someone to take on Max's god awful team. It is completely devoid of any talent. Prince's perennially bottom-feeding team can't be salvaged either. You've agreed with me not to reduce the number of teams, so I don't see how else to fix it.

You keep saying you want active owners, but all you really want is different managers to take hold of the lousy teams to provide chances to make their teams worse through the trade negotiation you get off on.

I don't blame guys for not caring about responding to your PMs. The disparity between good and bad teams has gotten so wide that there's no point.
U mad bro? Seriously, you get ugly when people disagree with you, huh? If anyone is bitching here, it's you. Max and PF have had better opportunities to fix their teams than the rest of us since they had comp picks. Out of my 12 keepers, I have 8 left and out of those, I'm keeping 5 as I see it now. The rest of my guys potential keepers are from the draft or the wire. This can be done by any team.

I give PF props for keeping up with his team and trying trades. Max has no excuse. He avoided making trades and now his once golden talent has corroded by the wayside. He didn't help himself much with a poor draft and poor action on the wire, so imo, he's a goner.

Oh and btw, the last person who should be accusing others of taking advantage of others in trades is you. Don't bother to try to defend yourself. It'll just make us laugh.

The moment you change the rules and say redraft, this league will die in it's tracks. You gonna be happy being called "Half season champ?"

Best way to keep it going is to keep 12 teams, and keep the number of keepers the same. Then find better owners. I can suggest a few who are very strong active owners in the Diamond league. Hurricanes, Docta, Grizz. None of those guys are in your dynasty league, I believe.

I also think my original idea was not half bad. Maybe we tweak it. Let the last place team choose 2 players from the 1st place team (top 8 protected). Let the 2nd to the last place team choose a player from the 2nd place team (top 12 protected). This doesn't mean you have less keepers. You can still keep 12 total players. Lord knows even your non keepers will be nice commodities that those last place teams would love.

Last edited by D-Unit : 07-02-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Not mad. Just not interested in running the league the same way next year. You'd think the guy dominating would be OK with the status quo, but I'd rather just skip this league next year if it's going to be more of the same.

I could not set my lineup the rest of the season and still win, D. I don't buy your hollow "half season champ" argument. Would you rather I just pretend that changes won't be made? You think any of the inactive members will be fooled into participating with such futile rosters?

The good news is I'm the commish and can just invite you to leave the league, D, if you're resistant to whatever I decide.

Last edited by Xiomera : 07-02-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Closed Thread