Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 07-03-2013, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
And still a lot of good players found in the drafts before then. Hell we'd kill for someone like Greisen, Short, or Jones at LB right now.
I don't know, Griesen and Short were solid but nothing flash. Jones was ok but nothing great.

The LBs we have much more talent and athleticism.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe a little bit more athletic but if they have the careers of the guys above we'd be more than fine at LB. Good solid NFL Players all 3 of them.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:12 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I hear what you are saying but I don't buy it. We had much bigger needs for example DE in 2002. blind freddy knew we had a major need at DE and we had a solid offense, so the solution is another TE? give me a break.

For me selling tickets is not a reason to compromise on building a football team properly.

I don't agree on the .500 level either. How many mid-late round picks contributed in significant ways.

Collins was solid, but lets not forget we got him on the scrap head.

It's not just the GM though is my point. You have to have 3 things..

GM, HC, and Director of College Scouting.

EA, Sutherland and Fasshole was a garbage combo. Then you wonder why the drafts stunk? Look at that pathetic trio.

It went like this. You can put it in order and see a trend.

EA, Sutherland, Fasshole
EA, Reese, Fasshole
EA, Reese, Coughlin
Reese, Reese, Coughlin (2007)
Reese, Marc Ross, Coughlin

Is it a pure accident that after Sutherland and Fasshole left our drafts got better? EA magically learned how to find talent? Of course not, his team got better when Reese got promoted AND Coughlin came on board.

Since then we have drafted better than the EA, Sutherland, Fasshole years.

In fact, I have always said I want to see Reese do his Director of College Scouting job again AND GM like in 2007 when he hit on the best draft class ever.

Bring back the Reese, Reese, Coughlin team and see if we can duplicate excellent draft results.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you are right on the money NYG

I will not begrudge Marc Ross though, he has done a very good job here.

bring GM and Director of College Scouting is too much for one person imho
Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
EA, Sutherland and Fasshole was a garbage combo. Then you wonder why the drafts stunk? Look at that pathetic trio.
Very true, but it was also much better than we did under George Young in the 90s. Thats scary
Old 07-04-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
you are right on the money NYG

I will not begrudge Marc Ross though, he has done a very good job here.

bring GM and Director of College Scouting is too much for one person imho
I am not sure though. In any organizational structure the higher you go the more general your job gets. More of a management type position where you are managing people and making decisions.

The nitty gritty of the details get done by the people of the specific people. This is why when we re-sign someone for a good contract, we give props to Reese. "Great signing Reese! He gets it done once again!" However, I would guess he didn't do anything. Kevin Abrams the cap and contract guy would do the details.

I would love to see Reese do his GM job and his Director of scouting job. He did it once. It's not like we are guessing if he can do it. He proved he could and hit a home run doing so.

He is basically compiling all the scouting reports and then creating the board and facilitating the meetings to discuss this. He had that job before so he knows how to do at a top level. It's not like we are talking about a cap guy or other area of specialty GM to do this. Reese has done this, so I would love to see it again.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I don't think that is viable.

The Giants have an excellent and well established scouting system. I think Ross is full time managing the scouting process and getting players thoroughly evaluated. Also my understanding is that the Giants evaluation process is more extensive for each player than many other NFL teams.

I think that is why we can find guys in smaller schools etc.

Reese is busy enough with managing the team each offseason.

We have to evaluate where we stand with our current roster, how we manage the cap, how we can get the best team on the table (resign our guys, bring in free agents and the draft propects, plan what we want to try and improve next season. Then we have to scout what other teams do, our opponents etc.

It isn't a one man show. Reese is the chairman, but Ross, Coughlin, Abrams, Sternfield, Harriss and Giordanetti all have input as well.

Much like coaching is a team effort under the direction of Coughlin. Football operations is a team effort under the direction of Reese.

I actually think Marc Ross has done a very good job, and has produced excellent results for us. I don't see any reason that we need to change what is a good and effective system. You just have to look at the fact that several other teams were very interested in Gettlemen and Ross for GM spots.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't think that is viable.

The Giants have an excellent and well established scouting system. I think Ross is full time managing the scouting process and getting players thoroughly evaluated. Also my understanding is that the Giants evaluation process is more extensive for each player than many other NFL teams.

I think that is why we can find guys in smaller schools etc.

Reese is busy enough with managing the team each offseason.

We have to evaluate where we stand with our current roster, how we manage the cap, how we can get the best team on the table (resign our guys, bring in free agents and the draft propects, plan what we want to try and improve next season. Then we have to scout what other teams do, our opponents etc.

It isn't a one man show. Reese is the chairman, but Ross, Coughlin, Abrams, Sternfield, Harriss and Giordanetti all have input as well.

Much like coaching is a team effort under the direction of Coughlin. Football operations is a team effort under the direction of Reese.

I actually think Marc Ross has done a very good job, and has produced excellent results for us. I don't see any reason that we need to change what is a good and effective system. You just have to look at the fact that several other teams were very interested in Gettlemen and Ross for GM spots.

I think Ross has done a good job. I wanted to see more of Reese at that job. He did such a great job with a duel role, that I want to see more of it. I want to see how much he can do.

I think the Reese, Reese, Coughlin can be the best. Gettlemen was our Pro personnel scout I think. So he did a fair job. We hit on free agents and we missed on some of them.

I think Ross will always get looks because he has 3 qualities: Youth, Race, and talent.

Those 3 will always get him interviews and it's only a matter of time before someone sees the talent and youth factor in and make him a GM for the next 15-20 years.

I think our drafts would be better with Reese doing it. This way we have stability at 2 spots, and we won't get poached because a team wants to hire the Director of College Scouting away. So it's advantage is 2 fold. You have Reese who has done it before which is key, and at a high level. He also can't get poached away so now you maximize your organizational efficiency by providing a duel role for a guy who shown he can do it at a high level.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I am very happy with our front office under Reese, no real need to change.

I also think we have a very solid coaching staff in general. I think Reese's philosophy in building the team works really well with Coughlin's coaching philosphies.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

With Dan Connor's arrest and it will be interesting to see how we handle it.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like a non deal to me but I just read about it. Thoughts?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Seems like a non deal to me but I just read about it. Thoughts?
It all depends on how the front office and the NFL view it.

In the best case scenario it is a case of very poor judgement by Connor.

I guess the big issues are whether it was intended to be his carry on luggage or go in the hold.

But switchblades are prohibited in PA

Quote:
Pennsylvania - Pa. C.S.A. 18.908. Prohibited offensive
weapons. (a) Offense defined.--A person commits a
misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized
by law, he makes, repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in,
uses, or possesses any offensive weapon. (b) Exception.--
It is a defense under this section for the defendant to
prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed of
dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic
performance, or that he possessed it briefly in
consequence of having found it or taken it from an
aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any
intent or likelihood that the would be used unlawfully.
(c) Definition.--As used in this section "offensive
weapon" means... any... dagger, knife, razor or cutting
instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic
way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or
otherwise...
So unless he was involved in some kind of acting role in Philly, he is carrying an illegal weapon. It is a first degree misdemeanor. Normally this would (and should) blow over

Considering all the negative publicity around things about players and off-field intransgressions at the moment, it could well be the NFL and/or the Giants front office decide to make an example of Connor.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 07-07-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our linebackers are trash. Complete trash. Our defense could be pretty awful this year.

We have no MIKE, SAM, no penetrating DT, our DE depth is no longer great, and our entire secondary could potentially suck something awful. We need a complete overhaul on defense.

Keep JPP, you can pretty much replace everyone else on the entire defense and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sure we have potential hole fillers in a lot of positions on defense, but they're all unproven and it's very difficult to realistically expect all of them, even most of them to pan out.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

If the defense is complete trash then that's par for them. If that happens, then bye bye Fewell, and a new DC comes in and hopefully fixes this junky unit. But we went all out with DEs and DTs. They better be ranked better than 31st in the damn league.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:40 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Linebackers make tackles, they fill gaps. Our tackling issues will probably still be around bc of that. And our secondary got worse. And our pass rush got worse. It's gonna be ugly.

Unless the following all pan out:

Adrian Tracy
DaMontre Moore
Marvin Austin
Will Hill
Jayron Hoseley
Prince
JWill

That's alot of IFs right there.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Cruz expected to sign for $8.5 million a year. Seems like we got him on a good deal.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

This makes Nicks contract interesting. I think if Randle kills it this year, then we just franchise Nicks for a year and let him walk after that. Randle has potential as a Nicks replacement for the long term.

Adding another 10 mill a year to another WR on the payrole just cripples our cap. So I think we have to start evaluating how we can replace Nicks long term, and I'm a firm believer that Randle can be the guy.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

It's official!!!! Cruz signed for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Linebackers make tackles, they fill gaps. Our tackling issues will probably still be around bc of that. And our secondary got worse. And our pass rush got worse. It's gonna be ugly.

Unless the following all pan out:

Adrian Tracy
DaMontre Moore
Marvin Austin
Will Hill
Jayron Hoseley
Prince
JWill

That's alot of IFs right there.
I think Prince has already proven himself. At worst, he's a VERY VERY good #2 CB.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:30 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Giants and Victor Cruz have agreed to terms on new 5-yr extension for $43 million on top of his 1 yr tender
From Glazer Twitter.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I think Prince has already proven himself. At worst, he's a VERY VERY good #2 CB.
I agree completely. I just added him to the list bc we need to evaluate if that's his ceiling or if we can rely on him as a #1 moving forward.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

That's a good deal for Cruz. Around 8 mill a year. I like.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

It's less than $8 million a year AAV. We got him pretty cheap.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good deal? God, I always get confused what a good deal is in sports now because jumping from the NBA, to MLB, to NFL is so radically different.