Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Am I just a homer or do you guys also think the Jets probably won't be one of the 3-5 worst teams in the league next year?
I agree, but I'll never say this in public for fear of being hated on by my friends who are fans of the Giants.

As far as I'm concerned, there are only a few spots on this roster that are a liability. They have enough talent at RB and OL to have an efficient run game. Our front 7 appears to be strong enough to both stop the run and hopefully maintain some sort of consistent pressure on the QB. The losses of Revis, Landry, and Bell hurt, but I could see our secondary having a successful season anyway. Cromartie, Milliner, Wilson, and Lankster/Trufant seem like an above average CB unit.

That leaves us with QB, WR, TE, and S. I think the potential is there for Sanchez/Smith to play somewhat adequate football. Mornhinweg and an established run game should help them out immensely. I also think the potential is there for Holmes, Hill (provided he takes a step forward), Kerley, and Cumberland (provided he becomes more consistent) to become very effective weapons in the passing game. Landry and Bush/Allen will be interesting to watch this year.

I guess what I'm saying is that we're not a complete team by any means, but I don't think we're as weak as people say we are. We cut a lot of dead weight this off season and hopefully solidified the O and D lines. I'm willing to say that our rebuilding process appears to be headed in the right direction.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with you. I don't think the Jets will be great in any way shape or form, I just don't see one of the worst teams in the league. To me they took some necessary steps back and improved in other areas, and the team will probably end up about the same as last year.

Play at the QB position can't be much worse, same with WR after all the injuries last year, TE should be about a wash after all of Keller's injuries particularly if Smith steps up. The offensive line will be worse this year but I think is well set up for the future. Running backs will be much better though. Hopefully Mornhinwig helps although obviously players > plays.

Defensively the line and linebackers will be comparable if not better, and corners will be better than they were for the majority of last year given Revis only played a couple games. One safety spot will be downgraded, although I think Bell to Landry is comparable.

In more fun news, my manager played at a beer pong tournament with Kerley and Jordan White this past weekend.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jets are giving Kellen Winslow a tryout. Considering this is probably his last chance and combine that with our depth at TE, I'm intrigued. I don't expect much though but I'm hoping he shows something.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
The Jets are giving Kellen Winslow a tryout. Considering this is probably his last chance and combine that with our depth at TE, I'm intrigued. I don't expect much though but I'm hoping he shows something.
A successful Smith to Winslow relationship would be so satisfying to watch.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After last year I think anything even resembling an NFL offense would be satisfying to watch.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:12 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I usually don't follow up off season media but Jets are considering read option offense for Geno Smith. Seriously? That is plainly stupid.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

5 Reasons Why the NY Jets Will Exceed Expectations
Old 07-12-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^Agree with a lot of that.

Anyway, I usually think the media blows everything out of proportion but Smith snubbing Sanchez for Jets West is a little odd. I have one question though - are all of the receivers there? If they are, Smith has to be there and if he isn't, he better have an excuse. Just my opinion. He doesn't even have to speak to Sanchez, but that's part of his professional development... again, assuming his receivers are there.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:42 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Did Smith snub Sanchez or was it the other way around?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:33 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
Did Smith snub Sanchez or was it the other way around?

Pfffttt. it is a media sensitive crap. However, many WRs went there so Sanchez has advantage.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This Jets West crap is a bunch of nonsense. It's probably just Sanchez having girls over and dancing naked with the receivers. Who cares? I still think Geno will win the starting job.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
Very true, and Rex is basically coaching for his job this season, so he won't let them go 6-10. As much as I'd want a crack at the #1 pick in 2014 for Clowney, having a winning season and keeping Rex in town would be much better in the grand scheme of things.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

So, is there any way Geno Smith doesn't turn out to be a bust? I haven't read one good thing about him and this article today suggests he's going to lose the starting job to Sanchez. Nice try guys it was worth the risk in the 2nd round, next!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
So, is there any way Geno Smith doesn't turn out to be a bust? I haven't read one good thing about him and this article today suggests he's going to lose the starting job to Sanchez. Nice try guys it was worth the risk in the 2nd round, next!

There's a great chance he could bust, but still to early to tell. What's more disturbing is this ........

[ESPN New York reports the Jets are "toying with the idea" of using Geno Smith as a "change-of-pace quarterback" if he doesn't win the starting job.
This sounds like a leftover idea from the spit-ballin' Tony Sparano "era." Coach Rex Ryan first mentioned the idea last month. Per reporter Rich Cimini, Smith would have a package of "mainly" read-option plays that could "exploit his speed." Smith is a plus athlete, but stayed confined to the pocket at West Virginia. Learning the read-option as a rookie backup has "failure" written all over it. The possible experiment will become a moot point if Smith beats out Mark Sanchez in camp. Thus far, Cimini has deemed Smith's Jets showing as "lackluster." ]

....... not this **** again !!! Hasn't Rex learned anything from last year? And even if this is something they want to do, don't tell us about it. More ammo for the media to chew the Jets up when they never put Geno in.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Yes that's what I was commenting on. The implication of that is that he will lose the competition to Sanchez.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They know their passing game is going to suck so they just want to add some RO into it. Bleh. Stupid idea but it speaks to the idea that Smith can't handle a full playbook from the get-go. I can't see him ready for W1. It's going to be a tough transition from his college offense to a pro offense. So this way he's on the field with a package he can handle. For the fans, for his development, etc.

But it doesn't help them win games. This team loves to do everything they can that has nothing to do with winning games. It's comical.

Hopefully this never happens.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Jets drafted Geno Smith in 2nd round as BPA, not as a qb of the future.

Keeping media off Smith may be a good start. Let him learn without any distraction.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:17 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

So, Geno has been strong to start camp. Nice to have a QB to potentially be excited about.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:59 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
So, Geno has been strong to start camp. Nice to have a QB to potentially be excited about.
I'm not sure if strong is the word I'd use. From following the beat writers on twitter (only reason I got a twitter account this month really), it sounds like he's shown some flashes with some good deep balls and awareness to tuck and run, etc etc. However, he's also thrown a lot of incompletes and taken some bad sacks, so it doesn't sound like he's winning the competition yet. Hopefully he improves but it does sound promising at least, unlike the post-draft and mini camp BS we kept hearing.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
I'm not sure if strong is the word I'd use. From following the beat writers on twitter (only reason I got a twitter account this month really), it sounds like he's shown some flashes with some good deep balls and awareness to tuck and run, etc etc. However, he's also thrown a lot of incompletes and taken some bad sacks, so it doesn't sound like he's winning the competition yet. Hopefully he improves but it does sound promising at least, unlike the post-draft and mini camp BS we kept hearing.

Too bad they did not give us serious details about his freaking incompletions.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:30 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

We have to give Sanchez some support since fans' favorite failing OC screwed up the entire offense last year.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are you guys using more 4 man fronts this year?

LE: Mo Wilk
NT: Ellis
UT: Richardson
RE: Coples

????

or are they sticking with a 3 man line?

I can't see Coples as a OLB. I like him as a UT preferably. Or do you go:

3-4 front:

LE: Mo
NT: Richardson
RE: Coples

and run a 1 gap front which is basically a 5-2?

I'm a little confused on what Rex is going to do with his front. It's versatile and opens up a lot of possibilities but the lack of an ideal edge rusher also hurts the versatility at the same time.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:35 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

They ran a lot of 4 man fronts last year (40-50%), so it isn't that unusual and I'm sure they'll do plenty of it this year too. Given a) the versatility of the guys on the defensive front and b) that there's a bunch of guys in the mix for snaps I think it's pretty tough to predict.

I do prefer Coples as a UT as well, and think that's where he'll function in passing situations (or as an end in a 3 man front). The OLB thing is confusing to me, but he did drop weight and I'm guessing the hope is he can function in a similar role to what Suggs does in Baltimore (obviously not necessarily as well, but Suggs is a big OLB who isn't a freaky athlete for his size and basically just rushes - I'd guess Coples will be doing the same thing).

Fronts will obviously be dictated based on situation. My guess is that the base front will be Mo - Ellis - Richardson with Coples - Harris - Davis - Pace behind them. In nickel I'd guess Ellis leaves the field, Richardson kicks inside, and Coples puts his hand in the dirt. Could see Barnes replacing Pace/Harris as well, particularly in passing situations.

Should be a lot of mix and match would be my guess, but I'd imagine they'll want Wilkerson, Coples, and Richardson on the field as much as possible and Davis should see a lot of snaps as well as a starting ILB and probably the best coverage LB on the team as well.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:54 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Coples is 3-4 OLB when it comes to a definition for 3-4 scheme. The look will be him being a far end in 4-3.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'm beginning to fall more and more for Geno every day. Not necessarily buying into the hype yet, but I like him. Interesting guy, seems to work hard, lots of upside. Enjoyed his Jordan comments.