Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-12-2013, 01:44 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What I'm seeing is a surprise run by us fueled by Vanek being re-signed for 8 years and named captain. This, of course, allows us to trade for Stastny in time for him and a resurgent Miller to lead USA to gold as teammates for country and club.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:36 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

*Turns on NHL Network*

Old 07-14-2013, 11:48 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hahahaa

NEVER gets old.

Last edited by nepg : 07-14-2013 at 11:50 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Josh Bailey avoids arbitration and signs a 5-year, $16.5 million deal with Islanders. Annual cap hit of $3.3m. What are the thoughts at that price tag?
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has a single relevant unrestricted free agent signed a contract since Derek Roy the day after free agency opened?

It's been ******* dead lately ... Still plenty of useful players out there ..
Old 07-15-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Going to be interesting to see how high the pick the Devils surrender next year, they could have given up the 29th overall but they put it off.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Red Wings re-sign RFA Brendan Smith for 2 years, $1.26 million per
Old 07-15-2013, 07:48 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Detroit needs their young D to provide them with some bargain years considering who their money is invested in right now. Smith could become real good over this time. How do you see the ice time being broken down between Kindl, DeKeyser, and Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Josh Bailey avoids arbitration and signs a 5-year, $16.5 million deal with Islanders. Annual cap hit of $3.3m. What are the thoughts at that price tag?
I was a little surprised to see the deal. Seemed a lot more reasonable to give a lot of years to Hamonic than it does for Bailey. I keep hearing how he's come into his own over the past couple years but is he even an average top-6 player? I won't discount a 23-year old from growing, in fact I expect to see a bit more from a bunch of those top-10 guys from the same year (Bailey, Boedker, Wilson, Hodgson), so as long as he can play like a legit 2nd line player or be a compatible winger for Tavares then the price should be alright. I mean, it's what Clarke MacArthur makes and Bailey should be able to be at least that effective. If they decide to let Moulson go at the end of the year, it would be good for them to have a talented but experienced forward like Bailey locked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Going to be interesting to see how high the pick the Devils surrender next year, they could have given up the 29th overall but they put it off.
Devils are so ******* stupid.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:58 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcGee View Post
Detroit needs their young D to provide them with some bargain years considering who their money is invested in right now. Smith could become real good over this time. How do you see the ice time being broken down between Kindl, DeKeyser, and Smith?
Not sure what you mean by this. Wings look to be in good shape going forward for who is signed long-term. Ericsson will get an extension during the season, I'd bet.

I'd expect the defense pairings to remain the same as the end of last season:

Kronwall - Ericsson
Kindl - DeKeyser
Quincey - Smith
(Lashoff)

Once Quincey's $3.75 million is off the books next season, the Wings will have an opening and the cap flexibility to target the top 4 defensemen everyone says they lack.

Keep in mind, though, that this team allowed the fifth fewest goals in the NHL last season. You could argue the biggest problem with the defense is that they need to be better puck-movers (and for another power play quarterback needs to emerge).
Old 07-15-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Well, Datsyuk is signed for four more years over which it would not be unreasonable to expect a high level of play. That's also the term they signed Kindl for at what looks like it should be a very reasonable price. Having reliable defensemen at a cheap price helps to keep a team that is currently right up against the cap competitive throughout the final years of their star forwards' window. It also (along with bonus strategy) allows them to make such win-now moves as the Alfredsson deal.

The Wings are in fine shape as long as their stars are still effective. It is over this expected window that they are signing good, young defensemen to inexpensive deals. I don't know where the misunderstanding is occurring.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcGee View Post
Well, Datsyuk is signed for four more years over which it would not be unreasonable to expect a high level of play. That's also the term they signed Kindl for at what looks like it should be a very reasonable price. Having reliable defensemen at a cheap price helps to keep a team that is currently right up against the cap competitive throughout the final years of their star forwards' window. It also (along with bonus strategy) allows them to make such win-now moves as the Alfredsson deal.

The Wings are in fine shape as long as their stars are still effective. It is over this expected window that they are signing good, young defensemen to inexpensive deals. I don't know where the misunderstanding is occurring.
Oh, I interpreted your original comment as saying they have money tied up in undeserving players or something. Nevermind.

Yeah, the Wings are currently sitting with a very modestly paid group of competent and capable defensemen. But when the salary cap goes up next year, they'll definitely look to replace Quincey with someone better using his salary slot.

It's not unreasonable to expect Kindl and Smith to make big strides again this season. DeKeyser played almost too good to be true in his dozen game stint last season. I'll be most curious to see how he does in a full season.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's feels mildly misleading. seemed like howard pulled out a lot of saves on plays the defense basically bent him over on, and i feel like we got lucky with a lot of misses. it wasn't for nothing that dekeyser was such a huge add.
A tad misleading, maybe, because we don't look and see any elite defenders on that blueline. Even Kronwall is more of an offensive guy than a defensive one. But as an entire team, they're very defensively responsible. Having the centers we have has to be worth a lot in the goal prevention department.

I don't think Howard played at an unsustainable level last year at all though, so I'd expect the Wings to finish top 10 in goal prevention again for sure.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:13 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm hearing that the Kings traded for the car bomb Carcillo
Old 07-16-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post
i'm hearing that the Kings traded for the car bomb Carcillo
Damn it. One less team seeking the type of player the Wings need to dump (Tootoo).
Old 07-16-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Damn it. One less team seeking the type of player the Wings need to dump (Tootoo).
I probably would have preferred Tootoo, but we gotta keep up that ex-Flyer connection going.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post
I probably would have preferred Tootoo, but we gotta keep up that ex-Flyer connection going.
Damn. Because Ken Holland is surely calling teams trying to move him. Wings need to clear two roster spots and will basically give players away.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Leino for Miller and Tootoo. Done.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Jim Howard > Ryan Miller
Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Dustin Penner, 1-year, 2 million with the Ducks:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...act-with-ducks
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Jim Howard > Ryan Miller
That's why we need Drew. Ultimate American Brother Power.

Or trade Ryan, starting to really not care anymore. It would be fun to see Enroth do his rebound and scramble act night in and night out.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

We've resigned Brownie for 8 years and 5.8, could have gotten more but once again gave is a hometown discount
Old 07-18-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Cough cough overpayment.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:20 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Give the man whatever he wants.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Interesting that the Kings will have just over $40 million committed to 7 players, and that Anze is the only one of those not signed through 2019. Certainly a solid core, and they're making it work. Even if they still have Regehr, Williams, and Stoll taking up another $10 million next year, their team looks damn good.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:30 PM    (permalink
RufusMcDaniel
Mage Bros
Pro Bowler

RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RufusMcDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote