Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Will the Steelers make the playoffs?
Yes. Bell will be a key to a revitalized running game. 5 17.24%
Yes. But Bell struggles. 2 6.90%
No. Bell has a great rookie year, but it isn't enough. 14 48.28%
No. Bell struggles and so does the team. 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 AM    (permalink
robert pancake gallery
Veteran

robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Really easy to put teams as win's or losses in the preseason but you're doing what every fan does. I could sit down here and make a list of why the Browns could be an 8-8 team and chalk the Steelers or Ravens off as wins at home and ??? on the road and use the reason as their regression for why.

If the Steelers end up 11-5 in this division then they would have earned the playoffs...

Yet we beat both the Steelers and Bengals last year and improved a ton over the offseason. I don't know if you mean not competitive as in playoff competitive or in the division but we played with everyone last year with a ******* awful head coach.
bro the browns suck they don't get coverage on espn and they have a 30 year old qb.

robert pancake gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert pancake gallery View Post
bro the browns suck they don't get coverage on espn and they have a 30 year old qb.
The Browns are going to be a lot better this year and are definitely a team on the rise.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Browns don't get the respect they deserve probably. They are on the up swing and are going the right direction. They are highly competitive in every divisional game, but they aren't a competitive team for the playoffs and superbowl. I have 0 faith in Weeden developing into a great starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

AFC North is wide open this year, that being said if Weeden sucks there is no way we compete for anything that involves the playoffs this year.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like what the Browns are doing. Great coaching staff, I love their defense, they're a CB, FS, and 5 tech away on defense, great OL, great RB, if Morgan keeps his head on straight they have a #1 WR.

I feel like they're a draft or 2 away from being legit. They need a WR, TE, and QB on offense, and a CB, FS, and 5 tech on defense. They're on their way to being legit again.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:18 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Either the Bengals or Browns will win this division this year.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Think the Steelers must have the smallest starting wide receivers in the league. Sanders, Brown and Wheaton are all 5'10" or 11" and in the 180s. I can see the redzone being kind of tough for them unless Plax shows he's still got something or LeVeon Bell turns out to be a monster. Heath Miller's never really been a big touchdown guy, more of a steady outlet.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is DeCastro still getting his ass kicked?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Think the Steelers must have the smallest starting wide receivers in the league. Sanders, Brown and Wheaton are all 5'10" or 11" and in the 180s. I can see the redzone being kind of tough for them unless Plax shows he's still got something or LeVeon Bell turns out to be a monster. Heath Miller's never really been a big touchdown guy, more of a steady outlet.
Ward barely 6-0, Holmes 5-11, Cedric Wilson 5-10, Antwaan Randle El 5-11, Nate Washington 6-1, Mike Wallace 6-0

Never won a SB with 6-5 plax, 6-5 sweed never could stick, 6-5 Dallas Baker never made the team

Heath Miller had 8 TDs in 15 games last year and thrived in haleys offense...but just so you know 8 TDs was behind Gronks 12, Grahams 9, and tied with Tonys 8 in 1 less game

Im not arguing that they arent small, they are and ben has always wanted a "Tall WR" but its so overrated. Brown is feisty and plays fired up all the time, sanders while fragile runs beautiful routes, like torrey holt-like routes. And Wheaton has shown strong hands and good route running....wallace was dynamic on the long ball but he was a PUTRID route runner.

All this being said, i miss holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:47 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Is DeCastro still getting his ass kicked?
Quote:
Prior to starting a blocking drill, David DeCastro asked Bicknell to explain to him a technique. Bicknell spent several minutes demonstrating what he wanted. On the next rep after that, he told DeCastro that he was “perfect.” Mike Adams earned praise as well

And also:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/decastr...3166--nfl.html

Quote:
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Shamarko Thomas looking like the real deal, slated to start at NB at least

Quote:
Steelers rookie safety Thomas causing headaches
August 8, 2013 12:23 am
By Ed Bouchette*/*Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Teammates call him "Headache," and, as Ike Taylor explained, there is a good reason for it.

"He's a monster," Taylor said of rookie safety Shamarko Thomas. "A lot of people are going to be catching headaches or he's going to be catching headaches, it's going to be one or the other."

That may be somewhat politically incorrect to say in the current touchy atmosphere surrounding concussions in the NFL. Yet, that is the style of this 5-foot-9 rookie from Syracuse, so prized by the Steelers in April that they traded a third-round pick in 2014 to the Cleveland Browns in order to draft him this year.

"My mentality is to go out there and hit," Thomas said.

He has caused headaches in training camp already, not by hitting anyone, but by peppering veteran safeties Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu with questions.

"Shamarko has been asking RC and Troy questions from the time he steps on the field until meetings," Taylor said, "to the point that RC is like, 'Hey, man, this guy is getting on my nerves, he keeps asking me questions.'

"But from my perspective and RC's perspective, it's a good thing, coming from a rookie guy. Just seeing those guys wanting to get better is going to help our team out."

Thomas said he has to ask questions.

"If you ain't asking the questions and you mess up on the field, that's on you, so I ask lot of questions. [Clark] might have said it to Ike, but me, he answers every question I ask, and Troy is good with that, too."

Thomas is the heir apparent to one of the Steelers' two veteran safeties, and he could play in the nickel and/or dime defense this year. The plan also is to spot him for Polamalu and/or Clark for plays.

That's all right by Thomas, who has been among the hits of training camp in more ways than one.

"I have to get my feet wet, see what you can do in the NFL," said Thomas, who noted one difference between the pros and the old Big East. "You got bigger and stronger backs, so you got to bring more power and bring more explosiveness. But it's football at the end of the day ... I can handle it."

Wheaton on right track

Thomas finds himself defending another rookie on many pass plays in training camp, third-round draft pick Markus Wheaton.

Wheaton, from Oregon State, missed all the Steelers' spring practices except for rookie orientation because of the arcane NFL rule that does not permit rookies to join their new teams for drills unless they graduated or their classes were finished for the term.

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley said he never would know Wheaton missed anything because he has picked it up with the help of veteran receiver Jerricho Cotchery and receivers coach Richard Mann.

Wheaton has speed, which they lost when Mike Wallace headed to the Miami Dolphins in free agency. But, unlike Wallace, he does not look to be a one-trick pony and just run deep. Wheaton has shown a good ability to go over the middle in live contact in camp and hang onto the ball.

"It looks like he wants to get into the competition," Haley said of Wheaton. "We're all excited about him.

"He's in a good position because Jerricho is mentoring him. When you have situations like that where veterans are mentoring guys who might at some point take their job, usually you're on a good team.

"I can't say enough about how well Jerricho is doing on the field, No. 1, but also in bringing this kid along. For a guy who missed the whole offseason, you would not have any idea he did. That's a testament to him, to Richard Mann, to Jerricho. That's a good sign when you don't feel like he's behind."

Pirates thrill Taylor

Taylor has acknowledged that he has jumped on the Pirates' bandwagon and that crowds watching practices at Saint Vincent College these days might be thinner because of how the baseball team is playing.

"A shout out to everybody who has been with the Pirates since Day 1, but I guess I'm one of those people who jumped on the bandwagon," Taylor said.

"They're kind of taking away our crowds from training camp, to be honest with you, but, as long as they're doing good, it's good for the city -- us, Pirates, Penguins, keep things rolling from one sport to the other. It's just a good feeling, man, a good atmosphere, I'm happy for the Pirates."

Roster updates

The Steelers signed another cornerback, Devin Smith of Wisconsin, and running back Alvester Alexander of Wyoming.

Smith recently was cut by the Dallas Cowboys. Alexander spent time with Tennessee and Indianapolis in 2012.

To make room, the Steelers cut running back Curtis McNeal and defensive end Cordian Hagans, both undrafted rookies.

Smith is the third cornerback signed since training camp opened. The others are Ryan Steed and Buddy Jackson. The reason is Cortez Allen had minor knee surgery, Curtis Brown is out with an ankle injury that coach Mike Tomlin considers minor, DeMarcus Van Dyke has a hamstring injury and rookie Terry Hawthorne has a knee injury.

"We're dropping like flies," Taylor said, but seemed unconcerned because it is still a month before the season starts.

"No, no need to get worried, we'll be all right. That's just how it is sometimes. This is the most I've seen at the cornerback position as far as guys dropping. That's all part of the game. One guy's loss is an opportunity for the next guy to step up."
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...daches-698543/

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
Ward barely 6-0, Holmes 5-11, Cedric Wilson 5-10, Antwaan Randle El 5-11, Nate Washington 6-1, Mike Wallace 6-0

Never won a SB with 6-5 plax, 6-5 sweed never could stick, 6-5 Dallas Baker never made the team

Heath Miller had 8 TDs in 15 games last year and thrived in haleys offense...but just so you know 8 TDs was behind Gronks 12, Grahams 9, and tied with Tonys 8 in 1 less game

Im not arguing that they arent small, they are and ben has always wanted a "Tall WR" but its so overrated. Brown is feisty and plays fired up all the time, sanders while fragile runs beautiful routes, like torrey holt-like routes. And Wheaton has shown strong hands and good route running....wallace was dynamic on the long ball but he was a PUTRID route runner.

All this being said, i miss holmes
I know Miller had his best season last year; I had him on my fantasy team. It was his best year, though; he's just not really a jump-ball guy. Aside from that, Pittsburgh was 22nd in scoring offense last season, and they lost their co-lead for touchdowns in Mike Wallace. Mike Wallace's specialty, as you well know, is going over the top. Did they replace his role successfully? I'm a big Wheaton fan and think it's possible he could do it, but it simply remains to be seen. If they don't have a receiver who can put it in the endzone on one big play, red zone targets become even more important. They also didn't have a running back with more than 2 touchdowns. I'm not trying to say they're going to suck, but I think a lot is going to hinge on how good Wheaton and Bell can be early. Players who rely on their quickness and movement skills are less effective when there's less space to lose a defender. If Bell can't punch it in consistently, and if they don't have a guy step up who can get behind the safety for long scores, they're going to have to get pretty creative and precise with their red zone passing offense.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 08-08-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:11 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Quote:
I know Miller had his best season last year; I had him on my fantasy team. It was his best year, though; he's just not really a jump-ball guy. Aside from that, Pittsburgh was 22nd in scoring offense last season, and they lost their co-lead for touchdowns in Mike Wallace. Mike Wallace's specialty, as you well know, is going over the top. Did they replace his role successfully? I'm a big Wheaton fan and think it's possible he could do it, but it simply remains to be seen. If they don't have a receiver who can put it in the endzone on one big play, red zone targets become even more important. They also didn't have a running back with more than 2 touchdowns. I'm not trying to say they're going to suck, but I think a lot is going to hinge on how good Wheaton and Bell can be early. Players who rely on their quickness and movement skills are less effective when there's less space to lose a defender. If Bell can't punch it in consistently, and if they don't have a guy step up who can get behind the safety for long scores, they're going to have to get pretty creative and precise with their red zone passing offense.
I hear ya, im just saying that wallace was so one dimensional last year especially...he got his long balls, but that was really pretty much it. he didnt even try to run many routes or make tough catches last year (never his specialty, but something hed at least try) so basically in manys eyes he quit on the team.

The run game last year was HORRIBLE but ben was brilliant throwin 17TD to 4 picks before he got mangled in the chiefs game. Bell has to better than redman, otherwise ill be so sad....ha

They seem to think hes legit though

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Antonio Brown can honestly do everything Wallace did. He's not quite as fast, but still plenty fast to take the top of a defense and actually in some ways a more dangerous big-play threat b/c how dangerous he is with the ball in his hands. I honestly think Brown was the better all-around player, and is the reason the Steelers didnt mind letting Wallace walk. Depth is not a problem at receiver. If Leveon Bell plays strong, and the OL shows improvement, this offense could be very good, especially if Big Ben is healthy - and I hear he is physically feeling really good entering this season.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Brown needed wallace just like wallace needed brown....brown is terrific after the catch and he is fast, but hes fast like holmes...neither are really a "deep threat" lik wallace and nate washington were, but thats ok because they bring a lot of other things to the table...sanders has really underrated speed, and they think wheaton will be able to play the deep threat role, which is easy for young guys, because wallace and washington both did that as a rookie.

Ben loves plax, i do kinda hope he makes the roster, hes old but he can still be a good player in the offense, they signed him mid year last season, maybe a full camp and some reps will get him on the field.

I hope miller isnt out too long, he was amazing last year. The guy never drops a ball. We all bitched about arians scheme and how he hated the TE for years, one year under haley and ben is at his most efficient and miller has a career year, theres legit reason to be excited about year 2 i think. David paulson will be the guy at TE at first, but im hearing good things about him

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

they hope bell is like matt forte in what he brings catching the ball. As a runner hes drawn comparisons to foster and sjax, i wasnt thrilled with the pick, i thought more of brandon jacobs or tony hunt but hes definitely growing on me

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

im just gonna be a post sluut, i dont get many steeler threads in the main forum anymore lol

heres some updates on jarvis:

Quote:
Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Wednesday news, notes
If there was anyone still trying to figure out why the Steelers selected Jarvis Jones in the first round of the draft, they needed only watch the final few minutes of practice Wednesday to figure it out.

First, Jones read a screen play and dropped to the flat, deflecting John Parker Wilson's pass to the running back for an incompletion.

Next, he dropped into coverage on tight end Peter Tuitupou and batted away another Parker Wilson pass over the middle.

On the final play of practice, Jones dropped into the middle and leaped to bat down Parker Wilson's final pass attempt over the middle.

Yes, it was all against Parker Wilson, who has about as much chance of making this team as I do.

But Jones also batted down three Ben Roethlisberger passes at the line of scrimmage last week, intercepting the deflection on one of them.

He just has that knack.

Jones also showed good power and feet while going one-on-one against tight end Matt Spaeth in a tight ends backer drill - before Spaeth was carted off after aggravating his previous knee injury.

He's a keeper.

@ Jonathan Dwyer got some work today as the first-team running back. Both Isaac Redman and Le'Veon Bell practiced as well, so it just must have been Dwyer's turn.

@ Antonio Brown continues to look impressive. On the first play of team, he turned William *** inside out on a post, turning it into a big gainer.

Later, he got deep behind Ike Taylor to haul in a bomb from Ben Roethlisberger. There was no safety help on either, but Brown's playing at a different level.

@ DaMon Cromartie-Smith made a nice play in help coverage to pick off a Parker Wilson pass. At 6-2, 203, he has the one thing the other safeties on the roster do not - size.

He's also a heady player.

This might finally be the year he sticks on the roster full time.

@ The Steelers released running back Curtis McNeal, who was injured, and defensive end Cordian Hagans, who was not, to sign cornerback Devin Smith and Alvester Alexander.

With so many corners down - Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown, Terry Hawthorne and DeMarcus Van Dyke were out again Wednesday - it's opening the door for a player such as Isaiah Green to have a shot at making this team.
Dale Lolley at 6:44 PM

1 comment:

steelcan7:52 PM
Hey Dale, I know its early, but when was the last time youve seen the top 4 picks look as promising as this year?

Load more...
Links to this post
Create a Link
Quote:
• With LaMarr Woodley missing part of practice with a sore calf, rookie first-round pick Jarvis Jones was moved into the starting lineup and impressed almost immediately. While playing right outside linebacker and Jason Worilds flipping over to left, Jones made a number of plays during the live hitting portion of practice, including running down a ball carrier with backside pursuit. But he wowed everybody with an athletic move not many can duplicate. Jones batted a Ben Roethlisberger pass in the air and intercepted it during an 11-on-11 team portion of practice. Jones said following practice that he has been studying Houston defensive end J.J. Watt when it comes to batting balls.

• The Steelers appear to have a number of choices when it comes to kickoff returns. LaRod Stephens-Howling, Reggie Dunn, Curtis McNeal, Kashif Moore and J.D. Woods took turns returning kickoffs.

• On one occasion, the Steelers broke out the “Amoeba” defense, in which none of the 11 players puts his hand in the dirt during an obvious pass-rushing situation. That included defensive linemen Brett Keisel and Ziggy Hood.

• Rookie running back Le'Veon Bell continued to get work with the first team and was joined for the first time by third-rounder Markus Wheaton. Wheaton ran a significant amount of plays with the first team as the slot wide receiver replacing Jerricho Cotchery.

• Special teams coach Danny Smith ran a drill with the field goal team called “May Day,” the code word to notify the unit to hurry onto the field for a last-second attempt. Smith counted down for 12 seconds to put pressure on kicker Shaun Suisham, who nailed a 51-yarder out of the hold of Bruce Gradkowski.

• Former NFL defensive lineman Mike Golic was at practice watching his son, Mike Golic Jr. Golic Jr., a Notre Dame graduate, is a rookie free-agent tackle.

http://triblive.com/mobile/4447684-9...ice-jones-team

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wheaton is going to be a stud. Eventually he's going to start.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:39 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

theyll probably let sanders go if wheaton lights it up. Although i cant imagine sanders will be too pricy

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.