Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-07-2013, 06:39 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, the Packers run a "3-4", but only use that formation a fraction of the time. We're generally using two DLmen, two OLB's, two linebackers and 5 defensive backs. With four guys lined up on top of the offensive line, that (kind of) takes away one of the advantages that the 3-4 is meant to bring. But in todays NFL it's hard to commit to the traditional 3-4, because of how much teams pass the ball. If we basically have a 4-3 defense, why call it a 3-4? Obviously its a personnel thing. Which is why i've always wondered why coaches stick to the 3-4 and 4-3 stereotypes. The Packers have Clay Matthews and Nick Perry, one is a OLB and one should be a DE. Why does Nick Perry have to be a OLB just because Clay Matthews is? If we're going with the 4 pass rushers, why can't Nick Perry rush from a 3 point stance instead of standing up? I guess it makes it harder for him to drop into coverage, but only rushing 3 sucks anyway. Plus Nick Perry sucks in coverage so he shouldnt be doing it in the first place...So why?!

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

did you guys know that flamingos can fly up to 35 mph?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 AM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I once masterbated to pictures of flamingos.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:52 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So...uh...stem cell treatment for the win?

*bump*
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:52 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can football games stop being so freaking late so I can actually watch them SHEESH.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:16 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I stayed up til 1 to watch all of it. I hate myself this morning for doing that.

DT hooked me up BIG TIME with that 80 yard screen TD. I needed that so bad. There's nothing better than garbage fantasy football points.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With everyone basically copying Chip Kelly's up tempo offense before Philly even plays a snap, I wonder how much he's actually going to "innovate" when he actually gets to showcase his offense.

I think at this point most of the league has caught up to his system's benefits and have incorporated it into their offense so his innovation has already been copied. So his competitive advantage that he would have had if he came into the league 2 years ago is no longer there.

It'll be interesting to see how defenses defend this up tempo style. I think they should script their defense vs the up tempo so they can still disguise their coverages and not run such a vanilla defense out of necessity.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Manning has run up-tempo offenses for years.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:18 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Manning has run no huddle for years. But it wasn't up tempo. A lot of times he ran the clock down.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:19 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Chip's contribution to the NFL, if he makes one at all, is going to come on 4th down decisions. The smarter teams have been gradually becoming less conservative on 4th down for the past, what, 7 years or so? If Kelly has some success with some ballsy calls, I think he can really kick that trend into high-gear.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Manning has run no huddle for years. But it wasn't up tempo. A lot of times he ran the clock down.
It wasn't all up-tempo, but yes he absolutely ran an up-tempo offense. It is not a new concept. Maybe Kelly's implementation and extended use of it is an evolutionary tweak but it's not radical at all.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
It wasn't all up-tempo, but yes he absolutely ran an up-tempo offense. It is not a new concept. Maybe Kelly's implementation and extended use of it is an evolutionary tweak but it's not radical at all.
It's not a new concept, no, but it's an evolution of the old model. A pretty big jump, enough to get noticed. The problem for Chip is, it's no longer a competitive advantage for him, because everyone is going to run it to some degree now.

So his innovation has already become a league wide trend, which hurts his competitive advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I think Chip's contribution to the NFL, if he makes one at all, is going to come on 4th down decisions. The smarter teams have been gradually becoming less conservative on 4th down for the past, what, 7 years or so? If Kelly has some success with some ballsy calls, I think he can really kick that trend into high-gear.
There was a study done by some professor a couple of years back that shows that you're better off never punting and going for it on 4th down all the time. I don't know if I agree with that, but I think 4th & 5 and under should definitely become more of a go for it scenario.

When your qb is completing 70% of his throws in this new era, why not?
Old 09-06-2013, 10:31 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is my question, with the ability to now hit the QB if they act like a runner, pull the ball down at the waist, and give the hand off but run like a fake, you can hit them now.

If TB or Manning, does this from the shotgun they hand it off, and go to bootleg out like a run, can then be hit or bumped? Or is it only for pistol offense Qbs?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

I've been watching NFL Rewind coaches film from a few games last season, and it's so incredibly superior to the TV camera angles. The endzone view is pretty cool, but the elevated sideline view is awesome. If you can spare $70, I'd say Rewind is well worth it.

Last edited by WCH : 09-07-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

its gonna be interesting how much of a pure Qb Colin Kaep and Rg3 are.

Or where the refs draw the line on hitting the qb on bootlegs handoffs.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The up tempo will sure spread as long as your team has a QB who can hadle it. It just puts so much more pressure on the defense mentally and athletically. I think it will really come into play more or shorter 3rd downs and 4th downs. Just go fast and try to catch the defense unprepared. That slight hesitation can easily get you that yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:00 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

If you go no huddle on 3rd down and short 4 downs that don't require measures you should have no problem converting.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I've been watching NFL Rewind coaches film from a few games last season, and it's so incredibly superior to the TV camera angles. The endzone view is pretty cool, but the elevated sideline view is awesome. If you can spare $70, I'd say Rewind is well worth it.
It's worth every penny. You learn so much and a lot of assumptions you made during the game are incorrect when you go back and look at the 22 film the next day.

That's one thing I learned, I try not to comment until I watch the film now. Bc what you think you know, you don't really know. Not until you watch the tape several times. Even then you're making educated guesses.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:29 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It's worth every penny. You learn so much and a lot of assumptions you made during the game are incorrect when you go back and look at the 22 film the next day.

That's one thing I learned, I try not to comment until I watch the film now. Bc what you think you know, you don't really know. Not until you watch the tape several times. Even then you're making educated guesses.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well that's a fantastic interview and so ******* true.

Imagine if announcers actually knew the game and talked about what's going on on the field. Maaaaaaan.

Also I'm probably gonna buy NFL Rewind since I'm going to have to watch most Phins games on ****** streams during game day. Would be nice to go back and see what the **** is actually going on.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 09-09-2013, 12:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Yeah it's funny how Mora got mocked by the media for saying that when he was dead on when he said it.

I seriously hate the media. They're the biggest ass hats.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

It's because they're all journalists so it's their background to be what they're like, and that forces dumb not related football **** to get reported as sports news all the time. Like Mike Wallace said one thing to reporters as he was leaving the locker room when they asked him why he had one catch, and he just said "ask the coaches" and walked out, and one reporter made a big deal about it so everyone is tripping balls now.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 09-09-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
4th-1 from the opponent's 42, better punt. Field position FTW!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

I've read (I think on Football Outsiders) that up until sometime last spring/summer, the NFL viewed coaches film as a proprietary trade secret. Even major network analysts couldn't get it, except for a few select plays that would be rationed out. Smaller media shops would be flatly denied.