Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:12 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do people realize the season Broyles will put up opposite of Calvin if he is the real deal and can stay healthy??

Burleson is too old to capitalize.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why is this thread on its second page? I know I'm extending it by posting anything at all, but consider it a "meta" question.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:27 AM    (permalink
flave1969
Rookie

flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I spent 10 years watching Joe Gibbs build complimentary groups of receivers in particular Monk, Clark and Sanders but also Charlie Brown, Calvin Muhammed etc. All benefited from the presence of Monk who was the one constant. None of them were particularly successful away from him.
flave1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:53 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When AZ Hakim left St. Louis is absolutely changed things for Bruce and Holt. While they both caught more passes in 2002 than in 2001, their yardage was down and, consequently, their ypc was down considerably.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really understand the point of this. It can't be proven with numbers. They play to win the game. Of course the numbers will be watered down with more mouths to feed. Numbers are meaningless. Is the question about the Team's total offensive rank/production per play with two good receivers vs only having one?

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I don't really understand the point of this. It can't be proven with numbers. They play to win the game. Of course the numbers will be watered down with more mouths to feed. Numbers are meaningless. Is the question about the Team's total offensive rank/production per play with two good receivers vs only having one?
Taber's just been ruined by playing too much fantasy football.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And who could forget this guy who fell off the face of the Earth once he bounced from Buffalo playing off Eric Moulds?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:59 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by flave1969 View Post
I spent 10 years watching Joe Gibbs build complimentary groups of receivers in particular Monk, Clark and Sanders but also Charlie Brown, Calvin Muhammed etc. All benefited from the presence of Monk who was the one constant. None of them were particularly successful away from him.
Who played away from him? Gary Clark put up similar numbers with the Cardinals to the ones he put up opposite Monk the year before. His game was already slipping in Washington.

All the Redskins' receivers fell off after Gibbs was gone. Not to mention, they were getting up there in age.

Charlie Brown fell off in Washington. Same with Muhammad.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:04 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Nope.

The point is that receivers don't benefit from other receivers. Offenses benefit, yes.

But when someone goes, "and Y receiver does this despite being double teamed all the time," or, "well, his production would be a lot higher if he had another receiver opposite him to draw coverage," or, "X receiver is overrated, he benefits from the other receiver being double teamed," etc...it's complete ********.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:05 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
And who could forget this guy who fell off the face of the Earth once he bounced from Buffalo playing off Eric Moulds?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:12 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I swear to god this makes me want to punch things.
We give him great examples...and then he comes up with ridiculous excuses on why the example isn't a good one.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Moulds didn't really play with passing machines either. Well, not until Bledsoe came to the team in 2002 and force fed him and the others the ball. Moulds still put up numbers before his arrival with the likes of Doug Flutie and Rob Johnson. And if I remember correctly Price ended up reuniting with Bledsoe in 2005, yet failed to separate himself from the others and looking like what the receiver people thought he was. I think he was 4th on the depth chart behind Patrick Crayton. Even before he got there there were rumblings in Atlanta that he was suffering vision problems. He also was never much of a blocker. Whatever potential he had, he left it in Buffalo along with Moulds. He didn't have the best quarterback situation going forward, but that isn't why he stumbled.

The bad-quarterback card doesn't always hold merit anyways. You can use that excuse for practically any receiver that fails. We've had guys that have performed well with bad quarterback play. Issac Bruce looked like a star with guys like Chris Miller and Tony Banks throwing the rock. Or James Lofton all those years in Green Bay with Lynn Dickey or whomever else happened to be starting. Roddy White started to show potential before Matt Ryan came along too with a bunch of scrubs under center.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 08-11-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:39 PM    (permalink
robert pancake gallery
Veteran

robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

robert pancake gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:41 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey now, my dad tells me that Lynn Dickey was pretty good.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Hey now, my dad tells me that Lynn Dickey was pretty good.
I've seen a few games regarding him. Mostly towards the end of his career. He wasn't horrible, horrible. But he wasn't that great. And the Packers weren't going anywhere under his guidance. Reminds me of Steve Beuerlein who had that one great year in 1999, but mostly was an average starter. Dickey was decent his last few years in Green Bay and helped the Packers with a good passing offense. Lofton was apart of that too big time. Mostly though he was an average starter from what I saw. And he really didn't start that many games. I guess compared to his peers during his best years he may have been one of the better quarterbacks that played. At the same time he never even made an All Pro or even Pro Bowl selection.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 08-10-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:07 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fuel for the discussion...

Relative conversation at 1:40 - 2:35...

Old 08-11-2013, 01:47 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I've seen a few games regarding him. Mostly towards the end of his career. He wasn't horrible, horrible. But he wasn't that great. And the Packers weren't going anywhere under his guidance. Reminds me of Steve Beuerlein who had that one great year in 1999, but mostly was an average starter. Dickey was decent his last few years in Green Bay and helped the Packers with a good passing offense. Lofton was apart of that too big time. Mostly though he was an average starter from what I saw. And he really didn't start that many games. I guess compared to his peers during his best years he may have been one of the better quarterbacks that played. At the same time he never even made an All Pro or even Pro Bowl selection.
I've also only seen a couple games. Somebody like JMike would probably know more about Dickey than I do; but from what I've heard, I think Beuerlein is a decent comparison.

The Packers of the 70's and 80's are sort of a historical black hole. If you weren't around to watch them, there's no reason to research them. Rarely horrible but never good. Nobody writes books or creates webpages about them. I know that the joke was that they were going to build the county jail in the basement of Lambeau Field so that the players could show up to the games, so I guess they were the Bengals of their time.

Last edited by WCH : 08-11-2013 at 01:55 AM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:39 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
I swear to god this makes me want to punch things.
We give him great examples...and then he comes up with ridiculous excuses on why the example isn't a good one.
If you don't like them they're "excuses," if you do like them they're "reasons."

You can't just throw receivers out there who declined in numbers and ignore all other factors. The quarterback is kind of a big deal in regards to a receiver's production.

You could put Eric Moulds on the Falcons with Peerless Price when Vick was the QB and neither of them would put up big numbers. Michael Vick was a black hole for a WR's numbers. He did it to Roddy White, he did it to Peerless Price, he did it to Ashley Lelie. Not just because of his inaccurate passing, but because he runs so often on passing plays that it severely reduces the chances receivers have to get the ball.

And actually, that first year Price was there, half of it was Doug Johnson.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:50 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Moulds didn't really play with passing machines either. Well, not until Bledsoe came to the team in 2002 and force fed him and the others the ball. Moulds still put up numbers before his arrival with the likes of Doug Flutie and Rob Johnson. And if I remember correctly Price ended up reuniting with Bledsoe in 2005, yet failed to separate himself from the others and looking like what the receiver people thought he was. I think he was 4th on the depth chart behind Patrick Crayton. Even before he got there there were rumblings in Atlanta that he was suffering vision problems. He also was never much of a blocker. Whatever potential he had, he left it in Buffalo along with Moulds. He didn't have the best quarterback situation going forward, but that isn't why he stumbled.

The bad-quarterback card doesn't always hold merit anyways. You can use that excuse for practically any receiver that fails. We've had guys that have performed well with bad quarterback play. Issac Bruce looked like a star with guys like Chris Miller and Tony Banks throwing the rock. Or James Lofton all those years in Green Bay with Lynn Dickey or whomever else happened to be starting. Roddy White started to show potential before Matt Ryan came along too with a bunch of scrubs under center.
The problem with Vick, even more than his pathetic accuracy, was his style of play. An inaccurate quarterback who is at least willing to throw it down the field can still give receivers enough opportunities to make plays. But when you have Vick, who never threw the ball more than 421 times in a season (and that was the only time he even topped 400 attempts), it's another matter.

Bledsoe threw 610 passes in 2002, by comparison.

Eric Moulds deserves tons of credit for producing in some of the situations he did. No argument there. That's not relevant to Peerless Price's decline when he went to Atlanta being related to benefiting from the presence of another receiver. Note how Moulds was elite before Price.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:00 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
I've also only seen a couple games. Somebody like JMike would probably know more about Dickey than I do; but from what I've heard, I think Beuerlein is a decent comparison.

The Packers of the 70's and 80's are sort of a historical black hole. If you weren't around to watch them, there's no reason to research them. Rarely horrible but never good. Nobody writes books or creates webpages about them. I know that the joke was that they were going to build the county jail in the basement of Lambeau Field so that the players could show up to the games, so I guess they were the Bengals of their time.
You know, I actually liked their uniforms in the mid eighties when Forrest Gregg took over and the giant G was added to the arm stripes. I think the Packers should go back to them every once in a while.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 08-11-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:06 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
The problem with Vick, even more than his pathetic accuracy, was his style of play. An inaccurate quarterback who is at least willing to throw it down the field can still give receivers enough opportunities to make plays. But when you have Vick, who never threw the ball more than 421 times in a season (and that was the only time he even topped 400 attempts), it's another matter.

Bledsoe threw 610 passes in 2002, by comparison.

Eric Moulds deserves tons of credit for producing in some of the situations he did. No argument there. That's not relevant to Peerless Price's decline when he went to Atlanta being related to benefiting from the presence of another receiver. Note how Moulds was elite before Price.
I was just talking about Price though and how he benefited from the presence of another legitimate receiver. You're right, Moulds was good before the arrival of Price, which is why I focused on Price himself.

Price's situation wasn't helped by the fact that he had to now play with Vick in Atlanta. Certainly. However, while in Buffalo, at least for a short time he was a great compliment to Eric Moulds (minus his blocking) and made his fair share of plays while being a good number 2 receiver. And having Moulds there helped him shine. It was easy at the time to see why people thought he could have been number one material. Especially after that 2002 campaign when he broke out. But after his stint in Atlanta, he still was unable to make an impact in Dallas when he was signed and reunited with Bledsoe and simply faded into obscurity. I think playing next to Moulds helped him look better than he actually was.

Maybe if he had been put in a different situation from the start or went to a better team he would be remembered more fondly. Perhaps by the time he went to Dallas he was just looking for a paycheck. I don't know, but while in Buffalo having Moulds there helped him. If it was only him by himself I don't think he would have even sniffed his 2002 numbers.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 08-11-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:52 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I remember a game from 1984, a Monday night game in Denver when a blizzard came in and took over. The Broncos jumped out early and forced the Packers to throw in the snow the entire second half. Dickey almost pulled off the comeback, throwing for 371 yards (which I want to say was a MNF record at the time). James Lofton caught 11 for 206, including a 54 yard TD in the 4th quarter. I still remember it like it was yesterday, and thinking that this was a game I would never forget. I was in the 7th grade.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:34 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My very first favorite player.

I wish I could remember more about them. I was like 5yrs old. All I know is that Dickey, Lofton, and Jefferson were sexy.