Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 08-08-2013, 08:13 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

great drive so far. but this running game is doing alright . time for a pass down field.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice first drive. Our offense looks a little slow. Where is Frank Gore? He hurt or something? Any ways. Kaep looks good. Phil Dawson kicked an easy FG now we are up 3-0.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

Nice clean tackle by Aso and nice second series for the 49ers defense . Gonna be a fun season ahead of us.

The second series for sf looked ugly in the running game. Not sure if McCoy will make 2nd string . Tolz will have a better shot.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was finally good to see some 49ers football again. Some observations:

- Our backup offensive line really needs some work. They seemed to really be getting schooled by the Broncos defensive line. Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzien were under a lot of duress.

- I liked what I saw from Michael Whilhote.

- Vance McDonald had a couple of good catches and totaled around 60 or so yards. I also liked what Chuck Jacobs did on a couple of catches.

- Our first unit on offense looked really impressive against the first unit for the Broncos defense. Obviously it's only preseason, but Kaepernick looked in command of the offense and methodically drove the team down the field for a field goal. Boldin and Vernon Davis looked good too along with LeMichael James. The offensive line was essentially a brick wall out there. Looked sharp.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:59 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
- Our backup offensive line really needs some work. They seemed to really be getting schooled by the Broncos defensive line. Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzien were under a lot of duress.
The backup line in the game. Not the Final 53 backups.

Staley | Iupati | Goodwin | Boone | Davis

Kilgore
Snyder

The question is at #8. And if #8 has to see the field it's a bad sign, anyways.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know. I just meant the back up offensive linemen. The ones trying to make the team. I thought they would look better than that, even for the experience they lacked.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2013, 11:31 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Good: Kaepernick, Boldin, Williams, McDonald, Lemonier, Reid, Wilhoite, and i liked what the Secondary in its entirety did. Cox and Brock surprised me with how well they played. Brock was tested on a deep throw from Manning to Thomas and he defended it well.

The Bad: Basically all our WR's besides Boldin, and all our QB's besides Kaepernick. Maybe Joe Looney as well, i couldn't get a clear focus on how he was doing.

I'm only focusing on guys who have a realistic shot of making the team.

Side note: not a good night for the 2012 draft. I didn't really notice Robinson or Johnson, Jenkins didn't do well, Looney seemed to struggle. Fleming and Slowey are already out of the picture. James did well running the ball but he also had a bad fumble...
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:46 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
The Bad: Basically all our WR's besides Boldin, and all our QB's besides Kaepernick. Maybe Joe Looney as well, i couldn't get a clear focus on how he was doing.
Looney or Bykowski will likely be the last one or two linemen kept. They need to step up.

As for the WRs... Boldin looked great. Williams will be there. Still have to see Patton. I still trust Jenkins will start to show some positives. He needs to take advantage of his opportunities. I think Collie has a real shot if he stays healthy and learns the offense. Osgood and Lockette look really, really good on ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Side note: not a good night for the 2012 draft. I didn't really notice Robinson or Johnson, Jenkins didn't do well, Looney seemed to struggle. Fleming and Slowey are already out of the picture. James did well running the ball but he also had a bad fumble...
Trenton Robinson looked fine. Not many play-making opportunities. Not noticing a DB can't be a bad thing. I don't see how Cam Johnson makes the team. Lemonier and Skuta looked better in all aspects.

James looked exceptional. He had the fumble but he's legit, all day.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was Wiggins playing?
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verloren View Post
Was Wiggins playing?
Yeah, he played.

The guy that was regularly abused was Patrick Omameh.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was going to ask about Marquardt but I see that he's on the NFI list so obviously, he didnt play.

James needs to stop fumbling. His fumble in the SB screwed us and he needs to control the ball better.

WR wise, im hoping that Patton can win the starting spot opposite Boldin. Depending on what happens with Williams and Manningham after final cuts, Collie, Lockette and others could make the final 53.

As for Jenkins, right now, I dont really care about him. The guy has the perfect opportunity and isnt even taking advantage of it. While it's too early to predict it, he's looking more and more like Rashaun Woods. I hope that he proves me wrong but as of right now, its not looking good.

On the positive side, Davis and Boldin are no worries and McDonald seems to be showing that he can be another offensive weapon. Must admit that im more pumped to see him play during the season than I am with any WR after Boldin.

OL wise, Kilgore and Snyder will make the final 53. I'm guessing that Looney will too. He's only in the second year of his cheap rookie deal and I dont see him not making the final 53 unless someone else steps up which hasnt happened yet.

Either way, four more weeks to go...woo hoo!!! :D
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Where are these opportunities that everyone keeps saying Jenkins has had???

I truly get that he's looked bad when the ball has been in his hands. But think about it... that has happened TWICE.

He had a drop last year. ONE opportunity.
He had a catch last night and was hit by two guys before he got the ball into his body.

He was overthrown three times. He was the target of a behind the LOS motion screen that got blown up and McCoy threw it away. He was also open on 3 or 4 occasions and the ball went elsewhere.

So he's had two opportunities. He needs fed the ball.

People continue to blast Jenkins for looking frail and weak yet praise Chuck Jacobs who weighs 20 lbs less than Jacobs.

Jenkins reportedly looked great in practice all week. He was on the field with the ones. Obviously the team likes him. Give him more of a shot before he's given such harsh critique.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Trenton Robinson looked fine. Not many play-making opportunities. Not noticing a DB can't be a bad thing. I don't see how Cam Johnson makes the team. Lemonier and Skuta looked better in all aspects.
Finally watched the game. Robinson definitely didn't have many playmaking opportunities, and tended to be around the ball a fair bit. Did seem to miss his gap at one point.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Where are these opportunities that everyone keeps saying Jenkins has had???

I truly get that he's looked bad when the ball has been in his hands. But think about it... that has happened TWICE.

He had a drop last year. ONE opportunity.
He had a catch last night and was hit by two guys before he got the ball into his body.

He was overthrown three times. He was the target of a behind the LOS motion screen that got blown up and McCoy threw it away. He was also open on 3 or 4 occasions and the ball went elsewhere.

So he's had two opportunities. He needs fed the ball.

People continue to blast Jenkins for looking frail and weak yet praise Chuck Jacobs who weighs 20 lbs less than Jacobs.

Jenkins reportedly looked great in practice all week. He was on the field with the ones. Obviously the team likes him. Give him more of a shot before he's given such harsh critique.
Jenkins still has time to make an impact, but he was a first round selection and people are going to be critical of him compared to other players who most likely won't make the roster even if they do perform really well in the preseason. When you see other teams and their first or second round receivers show potential, it's easy to see why fans might get a little frustrated as to why Jenkins isn't showing anything. Of course there is a difference between being a frustrated fan and wanting him to be cut immediately. As far as opportunities go, I do think he needs to be given more chances just so we can see what he either can or can't do. He's apparently had an up and down training camp according to reporters and has only started to look good the last couple of practices.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 08-09-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its freakin preseason ppl....relax. We're fine. Everybody's fine. The fumbles were tough to watch but again, ITS PRESEASON. Fans get worked up about preseason every year and it has absolutely no barring on the regular season. What ppl should be focusing on is the young guys in pre-season. Guys like Ian Williams and the rookies. Those are the guys you fixate on watch them and see if its something there. And all our young guys looked good. Reid and McDonald look like sure impact players as rookies. Williams will be the starting NT. He played his ass off. Lemonier looks like he's well on his well to being the heir apparent at LOLB. Moody looked solid. Brock looked good. Even Jenkins, who got open a ton looked to be improved. If we escape injury free over these next 3 games, I think this team could be even better, deeper, than last year's team. And I'm not worried about the WRs. I saw enough to see that we have guys capable of stepping up. Moore, Jenkins, Lockette, all flashed some skills. Collie showed he still has skills. We'll be fine. No Willis? No Gore? No Cowboy? No problem.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And I think Reid is defintely the starting FS by week 4 at the latest, if not sooner. His talent and skills are evident and far exceed that of Dahl. Dahl should be the back-up SS and play there exclusively. Reid and Robinson are the only real FS on the team. They have the range and the speed to play deep middle effectively and still react to the run. All the other guys are more zone type of safeties by today's NFL standards.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:15 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Its freakin preseason ppl....relax. We're fine. Everybody's fine. The fumbles were tough to watch but again, ITS PRESEASON. Fans get worked up about preseason every year and it has absolutely no barring on the regular season. What ppl should be focusing on is the young guys in pre-season. Guys like Ian Williams and the rookies. Those are the guys you fixate on watch them and see if its something there. And all our young guys looked good. Reid and McDonald look like sure impact players as rookies. Williams will be the starting NT. He played his ass off. Lemonier looks like he's well on his well to being the heir apparent at LOLB. Moody looked solid. Brock looked good. Even Jenkins, who got open a ton looked to be improved. If we escape injury free over these next 3 games, I think this team could be even better, deeper, than last year's team. And I'm not worried about the WRs. I saw enough to see that we have guys capable of stepping up. Moore, Jenkins, Lockette, all flashed some skills. Collie showed he still has skills. We'll be fine. No Willis? No Gore? No Cowboy? No problem.
My problem with Jenkins starts before the pre-season games. Seriously, he cant even gain separation from all the other receivers we have on our team in training camp and throughout the off-season especially after Crabtree got injured. If Williams or Manningham were 100% healthy, one of them would have won the starting spot opposite Boldin but they're not and Jenkins cant beat out the crappers we have at receiver? That's my problem. If Jenkins cant even separate himself from the rest in training camp and practices, he wont even get playing time in the actual games because he's not worth putting out there on the field. His first catch of the pre-season and he fumbles? Where's the concentration and focus? UGH.

I'm not worried about our offense though. Davis, Boldin, McDonald, OL, running back trio and Kaepernick will make up for the loss of Crabtree. I would just like to see one decent game by Jenkins or something to where I can say...looking forward to seeing if he can improve. Instead, he hasnt done a damn thing. If it wasnt for the fact that he was a first round draft pick in 2012, he wouldnt have made it past final cuts last year.

Ian Williams has looked good thus far but he was an undrafted free agent. Expectations are far different between him and Jenkins. I'm expecting McDonald to replace Walker but without the drops. I'm definitely expecting Reid to be our starting FS week one because like Jenkins at WR, who the hell else is there thats worth starting over him? Dahl? He's average at best and I dont even see him making the final 53. Whitner is the starting SS. Spillman is good but he excels on special teams and I dont see him winning the starting FS spot. McBath is a special teamer as is Robinson. Out of those six safeties, I see two of them not making the final 53. Reid and Whitner are guarantees. I'm going with Spillman and McBath with Dahl and Robinson being released during the final 53 cuts.

Definitely excited about Lemonier and wouldnt be surprised if he replaces Brooks sooner rather than later. Moody should at the very least be solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
And I think Reid is defintely the starting FS by week 4 at the latest, if not sooner. His talent and skills are evident and far exceed that of Dahl. Dahl should be the back-up SS and play there exclusively. Reid and Robinson are the only real FS on the team. They have the range and the speed to play deep middle effectively and still react to the run. All the other guys are more zone type of safeties by today's NFL standards.
Reid should be the opening day starter, period. This is the same situation as Jenkins at WR. The difference is that Reid was drafted to replace Goldson NOW as opposed to Jenkins who was drafted for the future but Crabtree getting injured changed that. Reid also appears to be taking full advantage of his chance to win the starting FS spot. Jenkins isnt.

Dahl is average at best and I wouldnt be surprised at all if he doesnt make it past the final cuts. Dont see Robinson making the roster either. Practice Squad if eligible but thats it. I see Reid/Whitner as the starters with McBath/Spillman as the backups.

Of course, people here have said that the safeties are interchangeable in our defense so it comes down to the best four safeties. Dahl isnt one of them. Spillman and McBath are good on special teams which increases their value. I can only see Dahl earning a roster spot as the starting SS if we trade or release Whitner which while not impossible, would be a surprise to say the least.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
My problem with Jenkins starts before the pre-season games. Seriously, he cant even gain separation from all the other receivers we have on our team in training camp and throughout the off-season especially after Crabtree got injured. If Williams or Manningham were 100% healthy, one of them would have won the starting spot opposite Boldin but they're not and Jenkins cant beat out the crappers we have at receiver? That's my problem. If Jenkins cant even separate himself from the rest in training camp and practices, he wont even get playing time in the actual games because he's not worth putting out there on the field. His first catch of the pre-season and he fumbles? Where's the concentration and focus? UGH.
From what I understand, he was dealing with hamstring issues since late in OTAs. Once he returned, healthy, he was impressive enough to surpass everyone sans, Marlon Moore. Yet he saw more snaps with the ones than Moore did.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
From what I understand, he was dealing with hamstring issues since late in OTAs. Once he returned, healthy, he was impressive enough to surpass everyone sans, Marlon Moore. Yet he saw more snaps with the ones than Moore did.
I know about his hamstring injury but at the same time, how is it that he wasnt fully healed sooner than later? He had at least a month or more of off time between OTA's and TC yet he still has the same injury?

He had more snaps than Moore yet was out shined by Moore? Hmmm, I dont know about you but to me, that doesnt look or sound good at all.

I'm not bashing Jenkins but he needs to step up period. While I see him making the final 53 this year, if he doesnt improve, I wouldnt be surprised at all if he's not on the 2014 opening day roster. I just want to see the guy do something positive to where I can get interested in him again like I was after we drafted him. Wasnt happy at first but watching highlights from college thought that he could turn out to at the very least be the second starting WR for us. Right now, not at all interested in him whatsoever. I care more about seeing Patton win the starting spot opposite Boldin.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Quote:
I know about his hamstring injury but at the same time, how is it that he wasnt fully healed sooner than later? He had at least a month or more of off time between OTA's and TC yet he still has the same injury?

He had more snaps than Moore yet was out shined by Moore? Hmmm, I dont know about you but to me, that doesnt look or sound good at all.

I'm not bashing Jenkins but he needs to step up period. While I see him making the final 53 this year, if he doesnt improve, I wouldnt be surprised at all if he's not on the 2014 opening day roster. I just want to see the guy do something positive to where I can get interested in him again like I was after we drafted him. Wasnt happy at first but watching highlights from college thought that he could turn out to at the very least be the second starting WR for us. Right now, not at all interested in him whatsoever. I care more about seeing Patton win the starting spot opposite Boldin.
A lot of the guys were probably training hard between OTAs and TC. If their body wasn't ready by OTAs, it has to be partly ready by TC because of conditioning tests. Billick said something along the lines of being in shape, football shape, and hitting shape last week.

You also have to remember that hamstrings are really finicky, the healing can be random, and that Jenkins was probably doing conditioning despite the injury in order to reduce the amount of time it takes to get back to football shape.

I strained my hamstring once, and it took me 1-2 months before I would stop feeling a twinge when running. The last time I strained it (~1 year ago), I was fine within a week, despite playing in a competitive tourney.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:39 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:

I'm not bashing Jenkins but he needs to step up period.
He absolutely needs to step up. But in the same respect you are bashing him. If not, you wouldn't have said that he was outshined by Moore.

1 rec 11 yards
1 rec 12 yards

Jenkins had an unfortunate fumble but I saw him open on plenty of occasions.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
He absolutely needs to step up. But in the same respect you are bashing him. If not, you wouldn't have said that he was outshined by Moore.

1 rec 11 yards
1 rec 12 yards

Jenkins had an unfortunate fumble but I saw him open on plenty of occasions.
Technically, I didnt say that Moore out shined him, you did. You said that Moore has been more impressive despite having less snaps. That says it all right there. But in a way, I am bashing Jenkins because he hasnt stepped up yet and I thought he would have by now but he hasnt. If he wasnt a first round draft pick, he would have been released already.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Most WRs take 3 years to breakout. I admit he hasn't looked good in real game action, but lets pump the brakes on writing him off at this point.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:06 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Most WRs take 3 years to breakout. I admit he hasn't looked good in real game action, but lets pump the brakes on writing him off at this point.
I'm not asking for him to breakout and do awesome, just step it up to where I can say, okay, cool, this guy is progressing, getting better and im looking forward to seeing him develop. But thats not even happening.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:24 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Its Dan....pumping the brakes on over-reaction isn't a option :)

Jenkins will be fine. Its a process and with some WRs, the process takes longer because they don't shine until they understand the concepts of scheme and get comfortable with playbook and knowing their assignments. Jenkins is one of those guys. He got off to a slow start in college. He's a slow starter. It was reported last year that he was having problems with the playbook and that's the main reason why he saw limited snaps as rookie. The NFL game isn't just about physical ability. These offenses are complicated and there are a lot of on-the-fly adjustments, post snaps for WRs to incoperate. Its one of the reason they liked Collie. He's a heady player along with possessing some physical ability. AJ is still thinking the game a little too much. Once he gets comfortable with his assignments, he will shine. Its not uncommon. VD struggle with learning the playbook and concepts his first couple of years too.

I said when he was drafted that Jenkins should be ready to contribute significantly, heading into his 3rd year. He's right on schedule, IMO. Crabtree's injury has no significance on his time-table for success. You can't say, well he needs to step up now because Crabtree went down and MM is hurt. Doesn't work like that. They knew AJ was a project when they drafted him. That's why you make other moves, like trading for Boldin or signing a Austin Collie...to offset injuries. That's like saying if Gore gets hurt, Lattimore should be ready to step up and play NOW, knowing full well they drafted him with the intent on sitting him for a year and letting his injuries fully heal. You have to continue bringing AJ along at the pace you set forth from the beginning. If you deviate from the plan, the time-table you already laid out, then you sacrifice throwing a guy out too soon, and having him hurt his confidence and the team's chances to win a game. First round pick or not, you can't force it on him before he's ready.

I just re-watched the first half of the Broncos game and I will say this...Lemonier and Aldon will be the most feared passing rushing duo in the league, in two years. Lemonier has the two most important traits you look for in a pass-rusher. A quick-twitch burst, off the line and he plays violently, with his hands and how he attacks O-Lineman. Even against the Broncos 2nd string O-Line, you can just see it. Give him a year or two to improve his technique and Tomsula to work his magic and he's going make Brooks expendable. And I like Brooks a lot but Lemonier just jumped off the screen. And that's hard to do, as a rookie pass-rusher who didn't have amazing stats. But the effort and skills are there. He's going to be a good one.