Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-11-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe the money you contribute is taxed the same as the rest of your income, which will be much than 15%. Then it is put in the Roth 401k just like it would be in a Roth IRA. I think the employee match portion is done pretax and placed into a separate traditional 401k, so I think that would still be the $3500. Not 100% on any of this though haha.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is it possible to open a Roth IRA when overseas and no US address?
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:14 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinfan2k5 View Post
Earnings season has been good to me. KORS, MGAM, and TSLA have all beat earnings and have jumped significantly. Thinking about adding FB, I feel like they will beat next earnings and jump, weather it's warranted or not.
Nice! I have watched KORS for awhile and couldn't pull the trigger on it. I was nervous with TSLA because they have never made a profit until now. Once it jumped 20% the day of earnings, I thought there may be a pull back but it never happened. It is gone up an extra 50% while I have sat here and watched it. :(
Old 08-12-2013, 08:39 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I decided to change my 401k contributions from traditional to Roth. I still have about 28K in the Traditional fund and I'm pretty sure my employee match is required to go into Traditional, so a lot of my money will still be taxed when I take it out. But at my age, I thought going Roth was probably more benficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.cultofmac.com/179044/forr...billion-today/

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dolphinfan2k5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
Nice! I have watched KORS for awhile and couldn't pull the trigger on it. I was nervous with TSLA because they have never made a profit until now. Once it jumped 20% the day of earnings, I thought there may be a pull back but it never happened. It is gone up an extra 50% while I have sat here and watched it. :(
KORS has been my number one pick. I really wanted to buy it when it was in the fifties but my mom said to wait until $48. Watched it go up and up every day and finally bought at $60.90. I would say if it falls below $69~$70 it would be a pretty good buy. They just keep beating estimates and are growing everywhere.

I was the same with TSLA. After it skyrocketed I considered buying it after it fell back from about $110 to $95, but couldn't do it. Then it kept going up and one day one of the biggest bear analysts on it gave it price target of like $150, so I was like alright, time to take the chance, and I bought it at $127.50. It fell a bit today, so kind of considering more. I'll buy FB, one of the 3D printing companies (DDD, XONE, and SSYS) or buy more TSLA when I get paid Thursday. We'll see where they are at. TSLA I think can keep rising regardless of fundamentals just because people are so excited about it. I don't anticipate any bad news coming from them, Musk obviously is a great business man, and without anything negatively disruptive it should continue to rise I think. Could pretty easily fall 50% if something bad did happen though, never know. I'll probably go with FB or the 3D companies. They all went up 5% or more today though, so that's not good timing.

I also own JCP, so not everything is working out for me. Bought some at $18.08, it's now at like $13.17. Hoping they can have a good earnings call later this week. I bought it anticipating a long holding period, but still disappointing.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:30 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anybody have any thought's on Herbalife? Bill Ackman shorted it about six months ago and since then his decision has looked pretty bad. Many of the other big hedge fund managers who decided to stick with it despite Ackman's move have seen the stocks price soar. That being said I don't know whether to trust a stock that is in a multi level marketing scheme, those have always seemed shady to me.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:00 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

Quote:
I think AAPL is very cheap right now and would have bought more at around $400 a few weeks ago if I had any liquidity. I think it is going to spike at least past $500 (which would be an 11% gain from current price) though in the next 6 months and could go way higher. It really feels like investors are just sitting and waiting to see a new product, and I think when it happens, there could be a really huge spike.
Looks like this could happen sooner rather than later.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just noticed this thread. Good idea.

Currently I'm invested through my Union plan (Vanguard 2045), but I'm looking to switch to a more aggressive plan. Still doing research.

Have you guys looked into Peer-to-Peer lending investments? My buddy introduced me to LendingClub. It requires A LOT of personal attention and research. I'm just starting out and hopefully will get better at it.

Sig by Primetime21

Last edited by MaxV : 08-15-2013 at 10:07 PM.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you're not pros i advise you to get out of stocks asap. With 11 Hindenburg Omens in the past 50 days, the coming tapering and multiple chinese asset bubbles the stocks are bound to take a dive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:52 PM    (permalink
dolphinfan2k5
DC GFX Team
Veteran

What would you prefer to invest in?
Old 08-18-2013, 12:02 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If you want some really crazy fun then invest in Medical Marijuana (MJNA). In two days it jumped 82% and then the next day bombed 33% and then the next day went up 6% and then fell 10%. You will either get rich or lose a lot really quickly. It is only 16 cents a share too.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I personally invest in physical precious metals and store it in different safe deposit boxes. Besides that, land (not real estate) is a pretty good investment imo. Buy some land and lease it to farmers who are in need of more farmland, but also cash. I feel pretty confident that the stock rally is about to come to an abrupt end sooner than we expect. Once the Fed decides to go through with the taper it's going to be a war zone if you're in stocks.The Fed would love to get out of the QE, but they've put themselves in a real bad situation.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I personally invest in physical precious metals and store it in different safe deposit boxes. Besides that, land (not real estate) is a pretty good investment imo. Buy some land and lease it to farmers who are in need of more farmland, but also cash. I feel pretty confident that the stock rally is about to come to an abrupt end sooner than we expect. Once the Fed decides to go through with the taper it's going to be a war zone if you're in stocks.The Fed would love to get out of the QE, but they've put themselves in a real bad situation.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:44 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Where do you go to buy them? The "We buy gold and silver" places overprice them big time. They are like the Apple of selling metals. I have one bar of silver that my aunt gave me years and years ago and said that in 10 years or so that I will thank her for it and I finally understand why she gave it to me.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:54 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
Where do you go to buy them? The "We buy gold and silver" places overprice them big time. They are like the Apple of selling metals. I have one bar of silver that my aunt gave me years and years ago and said that in 10 years or so that I will thank her for it and I finally understand why she gave it to me.
Since I live in Europe I buy in Estonia where there is no VAT on silver. In the US there are lots of places to buy online, with APMEX probably being the biggest one.

Quote:

Last edited by Razor : 08-19-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
I just noticed this thread. Good idea.

Currently I'm invested through my Union plan (Vanguard 2045), but I'm looking to switch to a more aggressive plan. Still doing research.

Have you guys looked into Peer-to-Peer lending investments? My buddy introduced me to LendingClub. It requires A LOT of personal attention and research. I'm just starting out and hopefully will get better at it.
It's still fairly aggressive with only about a 10% exposure to bonds. Bonds to me are not going to do well as interest rates start to rise, especially any long term bonds.

When i started investing many moons ago i just parked my money in an S & P 500 index (Vanguard probably being the best) and it served me well for a long time. I think it has outperformed your V-2045 by a bit over the same period of time.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
It's still fairly aggressive with only about a 10% exposure to bonds. Bonds to me are not going to do well as interest rates start to rise, especially any long term bonds.
You do realise that the Fed seems to be losing control over the interest rate, right? The 10-year treasury has been rising the last couple of sessions, and the has been a massive outflow from US bonds, thus driving up the interest rate. Your bonds will only lose value going forward... If you bought them at a higher interest rate, you should consider closing those positions.

Quote:
Old 08-19-2013, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You do realise that the Fed seems to be losing control over the interest rate, right? The 10-year treasury has been rising the last couple of sessions, and the has been a massive outflow from US bonds, thus driving up the interest rate. Your bonds will only lose value going forward... If you bought them at a higher interest rate, you should consider closing those positions.
I agree. That's why I said Bonds aren't likely to do we'll in a rising interest rate environment.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I agree. That's why I said Bonds aren't likely to do we'll in a rising interest rate environment.
****.. I misread your post. I thought you wrote "I'm still fairly aggressive...". Anyways, my point stand, albeit somewhat redundant.

Quote:
Old 08-19-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Good thread. Probably should come with a disclaimer that none of us are experts and even those guys get it wrong quite often.

If you're just starting out it's really a great opportunity to accumulate wealth over a long period of time but you probably need to be patient and ride out the good times with the bad.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Good thread. Probably should come with a disclaimer that none of us are experts and even those guys get it wrong quite often.

If you're just starting out it's really a great opportunity to accumulate wealth over a long period of time but you probably need to be patient and ride out the good times with the bad.
Pretty much this. I'm an economist, but I don't work with investing. it's merely a hobby of mine, and something that I'm very interested in. I'll say one thing though: Never trust what anyone says or writes about investing in stocks and such. Always look at the macro indicators, and take that into account before placing your money.

Quote:
Old 08-19-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think about ETFs?

Sig by Primetime21
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't trust them. Take gold and silver ETFs for example. The total amount of gold and silver traded in ETFs exceeds the actual physical amount ever mined. What happens the day people demand their precious metals delivered? ETFs become worthless, and the investors lose out... Right now, given the current economic climate, I'd stick with vanilla investments: stocks in well-consolidated companies that pays dividends, precious metals etc... The risk in the market is very complex right now...

Quote:
Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not a fan of them as a whole, but I've been known to jump in on a low ETF just to sell a few days/week later for profit
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote