Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Fantasy > Fantasy Baseball

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

xio, crappy teams will say 8. good teams will say more.

8+1 prospect and 9+0 prospects does nothing different to adjust to the "new fix".
Old 08-26-2013, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look, I just did a little hypothetical exercise to show what types of 9-player rosters could be built using the current players on DJP, Yoda, Max and Prince's teams when we pool them all together and do a 4-team pre-draft.

I tried to build them rather evenly in terms of youth/experience, pitching/hitting and positionally. This is what I got.

As you can see, those rosters would easily provide those four owners (Yoda, Prince, two TBD replacements) with teams that could be very competitive. That's why I'm confident this system will work.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
xio, crappy teams will say 8. good teams will say more.

8+1 prospect and 9+0 prospects does nothing different to adjust to the "new fix".
I wonder if allowing teams other than DJP, Max, Prince and Yoda to elect to enter the pooled keepers draft would ease people's objections to going back to more than 8 keepers ...

I'm just throwing ideas out there to see what registers with people.

Would this be appealing to you, Yo? Your group of keeper-candidates still looks a little bit stronger than those four hypothetical teams I just built ...
Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Umm.....shouldn't we have a vote on this or something?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I assume you mean about the number of keepers?

I'd love for people to speak up. In fact, I asked for it.

I'm suggesting it be 9 because of the new pooled keepers system. There won't be a non-contender among the league anymore. Look at the hypothetical rosters I drew up as an example (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...7&#post3432587) of how that system brings the 12 owners much closer in quality.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:52 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not entirely sure what we're doing with the bottom teams anyway. How many picks will they have until we all start picking again?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what we're doing with the bottom teams anyway. How many picks will they have until we all start picking again?

Yoda and Prince, along with whoever is appointed to take over Max and DJP's teams will hold a separate draft before the full league draft. They'll do snake-style selections of all of the players on their collective end-of-season rosters.

Hypothetical example:

Then after they've selected their "keepers" from that pool of players, the rest of them will go back into the full league draft. So if we get 9 keepers apiece, then their pre-draft will be 36 picks. Then we do the regular draft like we always do, only there will be more good players than last year available since we're decreasing from 12 to 9 keepers each.

There are huge benefits of having the bottom 4 teams pool their players:
1) Those four teams can improve significantly without requiring the other 8 of us to dismantle the core of our teams significantly.
2) DJP's team that he gave up was loaded with keepers. His team would have been very, very appealing for some new owner to take over, while Max's team was devoid of good players. This way, all four of the bottom teams will share in the wealth of DJP's roster while also getting a sort of fresh start at competitiveness.
3) The two new owners that will be appointed won't be taking over a team that they had no hand in assembling and therefore should be more invested.

Last edited by Xiomera : 08-29-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:04 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I very much like those hypothetical rosters compared to my own. And depressed only 7 of my players I think are on it (just 1 pitcher). I have no idea where all my pitching went...
Old 08-29-2013, 12:05 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I see. Honestly I don't really see the need to go to 9. I understand why you would, since your team is stacked and deep as hell, but I don't see the argument for anyone else. I vote 8. League needs all the balance it can get.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I see. Honestly I don't really see the need to go to 9. I understand why you would, since your team is stacked and deep as hell, but I don't see the argument for anyone else. I vote 8. League needs all the balance it can get.
I wasn't the only person suggesting more than 8. D wanted 10.

The entire reason why we are dropping down from 12 keepers was to help rescue the bottom third of this league from complete non-competitiveness. Months back when we tentatively said it'd be 8, there was resistance from several people about dropping that low.

I've now devised an even more effective system to correct the problem we have. Those bottom 3 teams will each have 2-3 legitimate studs and quality depth. If they follow up by hitting on enough picks in the full league draft, then anything is possible.

I'm saying 9 keepers (instead of 8 plus a prospect slot, as we had at one time settled on).
Old 08-29-2013, 01:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say 9 + 1 prospect slot. Through the years this league has always placed a value on developing our prospects. Now that's down the drain because the bottom 4 teams suck and we're trying to fix them?

I'm not against trying to fix them at all. I think Xio's idea to pool them is genius. But going into this season with one train of thought, having our draft and then playing... and then midway through flipping the script from 12 to 8 keepers was not a fair solution for all. It was purely for the benefit of the lower teams.

Now with this new fix, I think that changes things again. Do we still have to keep it at 8 in order for the bad teams to "catch up"? I feel they are catching up with this fix. Changing the keeper rule from 8 + 1 prospect to 9 makes no difference in the world.

All I'm suggesting is making it 9 + 1 keeper instead of 8 + 1 keeper. Or make the +1 prospect an option. You don't have to do it, but you can. Doing it means you finish the draft sooner by one round. I don't like the idea of doing it and forfeiting your 1st round pick. That's just way too much "kindness" for helping the sucky teams and "punishment" for the better teams.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

IF we do a prospect slot, I'm saying the player must qualify as a rookie for next MLB season in order to be eligible. Otherwise he's not a prospect.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
IF we do a prospect slot, I'm saying the player must qualify as a rookie for next MLB season in order to be eligible. Otherwise he's not a prospect.
That's a change from what you said earlier. But that would be ok with me as well.

Fixed your post...

Quote:
Should we call it the Oscar Tavares slot just for you?
Old 08-29-2013, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I'm not in favor of a prospect slot anymore. I think pushing it to 9 keepers is enough.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I'm not in favor of a prospect slot anymore. I think pushing it to 9 keepers is enough.
Anymore??? Hahaha. That's a good one!

We all knew where this was heading the instant you said this...

Quote:
Wish we had made it 9 keepers instead of 8 ... anyone agree? haha
Old 08-29-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I agree. I don't care what the league majority is. Just gotta get Nazi man off his chair.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

D, you are wavering on what you want to see. What's your final vote?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
D, you are wavering on what you want to see. What's your final vote?
I agree that everyone should have a vote and that we go with the majority.

My vote is 9+1 (without forfeiting a 1st round pick in the draft).

That is all. I don't see contradiction.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

You were giving me flak for changing my stance on a prospect slot. It changed because of the pooled keeper draft idea.

I favor nine keepers, no prospect.

Everyone is welcome to chime in.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:21 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I vote 8+1. I like the prospect spot.

My only real issue is that there do seem to be a lot of changes without any real consensus. I'm not blaming Xio for that really, but there shouldn't be large changes without a majority consensus.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I vote for 8+1 as well.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:

My only real issue is that there do seem to be a lot of changes without any real consensus. I'm not blaming Xio for that really, but there shouldn't be large changes without a majority consensus.
I don't think there have been any large changes.

The pooled prospect thing doesn't effect you, me, GF and D (and let's face it, Jug, KCJ, Brody and Yo are almost always silent in these discussions). Yoda and Prince signed off on the idea since it involves them.

We had tentatively decided to draw back to 8 keepers a couple months ago before I concocted an idea that was much more effective at improving competitiveness.

We never get a consensus because no one follows this thread well enough. I'm guilty of throwing a lot of ideas against the wall to see how people respond, but nothing has been settled to this point other than that we'll have the pooled keeper draft for the bottom third.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

IF we use a prospect slot, the player must qualify as an MLB rookie for 2014.

The reason I oppose it is because it would be instituted without advance notice for everyone to have concerned themselves with having such a prospect. Additionally, I think if we just say 9 keepers of any kind, then we can avoid worrying about who qualifies as a prospect. Dropping to just 8 keepers is more extreme than necessary given that we've fixed the problem of competitiveness. Using 9 keepers would still represent a large drop from the 12 we had this year and the 15 we had the year before that.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

This was in place before the "Pooling" decision. Xio said he thought changes should occur since that fix was implemented. So he suggested 9 vs 8+1. I'm not seeing a big difference though there is a very slight one.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
This was in place before the "Pooling" decision. Xio said he thought changes should occur since that fix was implemented. So he suggested 9 vs 8+1. I'm not seeing a big difference though there is a very slight one.
The difference is that it's easier to just say 9 keepers. Also, if there's a separate "prospect" distinction, that throws a wrench into the 4-team pooled keeper draft. They are abandoning their entire teams. 9 keepers is just a cleaner and simpler way of doing things.

Yo wouldn't be able to keep Jurickson as a prospect, you wouldn't be able to keep Puig as a prospect, etc. It's not something worth the added complication. That's why I just say to make it 9 and you can keep a prospect among those 9 if you choose.
Closed Thread