Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

View Poll Results: Who do you prefer as a GM?
Tajh Boyd 36 90.00%
Braxton Miller 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2013, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Tajh Boyd or Braxton Miller?

When I look at both of these players I see some pretty striking similarities although they certainly have some significant differences in their profiles as prospects. They're both well-built but on the relatively short side, and have plus athleticism and strong arms. I also have seen both of them make some really accurate passes on the move which is necessary for athletic, improvisational players, as both of them are.

Obviously, Miller is the "rawer" of the two, but he also has higher athletic ability and hasn't had the same level of development since he plays for Urban Meyer and Meyer likes to use his quarterbacks like running backs. Miller doesn't make nearly the reads that Boyd does, but he's also got the requisite toughness and composure to make plays under duress and the projection with him is to whether he can digest an NFL playbook and grow to understand and react to the complexity of NFL defenses. Tajh has a leg up on him here, but I also think he's more of a finished product at this point and the way he plays now is probably going to basically be his NFL style as well. Boyd has nice mobility, but won't really be a running threat in the NFL, while I think Miller can be. I've been seeing some Miller love around here lately, and I like Boyd myself. Aside from the preliminary thoughts I've written above, I'm interested in what people think about both of them and how they compare. Basically, for me it amounts to a comparison of two prospects who would both make sense for NFL offenses which benefit from a QB having good mobility and the ability to make deep vertical throws, with Boyd being the more polished player but Miller perhaps having greater potential in that he has superior athleticism and has more room to gain from NFL coaching.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 AM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Braxton Miller will not be a starting QB in the NFL.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:45 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tajh, easily. I'm not even particularly a big fan of Tajh, but Miller's another Tebow. Raw athletic talent that can dominate on the collegiate level, but will never have the technical skill to perform as a pro. Tajh certainly benefits from Chad Morris' system, but at the same time he also has a natural passing talent that certainly surpasses Miller's.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bad comparison for Miller.

IMO there's at least 4-5 rounds separating Boyd and Miller.
I don't see future NFL starter in Braxton Miller, unlike Tajh Boyd.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tajh was easily the pick for me as he comes across as much more of a refined passer than Miller. I've never really seen Miller show the ability to sit in the pocket and pass, I think his greatest trait is his escapability which comes from his athleticism. Boyd seems like more of a true QB to me.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Boyd, and I don't even like him.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:08 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Boyd by a large margin, and I still think he has a lot to improve on in the passing game.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:15 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Neither will be more than an average backup in the NFL.
MassNole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nobody's willing to go out on a limb at all, eh? I suppose that's to be expected.

If I wanted a guy to play for me tomorrow, it's obviously Boyd. I like Boyd, and think he'd have been the first quarterback taken in this year's draft if he'd declared.

But I think Braxton Miller has a lot on common with RGIII, Cam Newton and EJ Manuel. Those are the players who he makes me think of. I also think he's much less developed than any of them, but I don't necessarily think that means he can't be developed into a dangerous player. I think he might be a more natural runner than all of them, with Cam benefitting from his huge size and RGIII his top-end speed. Ohio State's offense sucks for trying to evaluate a quarterback, but I've seen him make some pretty difficult throws. His arm is strong enough. He's much more of a quarterback prospect than Denard Robinson was. I think when I watch him I see more things that I like than I did watching Terrell Pryor, which, whether or not you think he was overrated, is an underlying thought I have which makes me want to entertain this question.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just really don't like Miller as a pro prospect. All summer we had to hear about how he has improved as a passer and that he is working on his throwing, but it still looked below average. I know he is an athlete and he makes plays on the field, but he just doesn't do it for me.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:42 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Location: TJ Warren is a better and more productive player than Jabari Parker
SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll take neither
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Nobody's willing to go out on a limb at all, eh? I suppose that's to be expected.

If I wanted a guy to play for me tomorrow, it's obviously Boyd. I like Boyd, and think he'd have been the first quarterback taken in this year's draft if he'd declared.

But I think Braxton Miller has a lot on common with RGIII, Cam Newton and EJ Manuel. Those are the players who he makes me think of. I also think he's much less developed than any of them, but I don't necessarily think that means he can't be developed into a dangerous player. I think he might be a more natural runner than all of them, with Cam benefitting from his huge size and RGIII his top-end speed. Ohio State's offense sucks for trying to evaluate a quarterback, but I've seen him make some pretty difficult throws. His arm is strong enough. He's much more of a quarterback prospect than Denard Robinson was. I think when I watch him I see more things that I like than I did watching Terrell Pryor, which, whether or not you think he was overrated, is an underlying thought I have which makes me want to entertain this question.
It's very obvious in recent history that NFL GMs are going for those dual threat/read option guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
Newton
South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
Barely literate +5 swagger
Thief +15 swagger
Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
Big, average speed -3 swagger
Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
Total Swagger: 62
ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts
shylo3716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:10 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll give Tahj Boyd this, if you could put his brain in E.J. Manuel's body you'd have a QB on par with Andrew Luck or RG3.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
I'll give Tahj Boyd this, if you could put his brain in E.J. Manuel's body you'd have a QB on par with Andrew Luck or RG3.
I dunno, I really like Boyd's athletic ability and I don't think his size is a problem.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:31 AM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
I dunno, I really like Boyd's athletic ability and I don't think his size is a problem.
It says more about Manuel than Boyd.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:33 AM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

Braxton Miller = Tyrod Taylor.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:47 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgsr View Post
Tyrod Taylor was a much better passer at Va Tech than Miller is for the Buckeyes.
Tyrod in fact might be the best passing QB to ever play for the Hokies.

Braxton Miller is all potential at this point, and that's being generous.

Guys like Troy Smith and Taylor were actually very good passing college QBs.
Braxton Miller isn't on their level.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 AM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgsr View Post
Been saying this for the longest.

Quote:
Newton
Thief +15 swagger
Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 AM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Tyrod Taylor was a much better passer at Va Tech than Miller is for the Buckeyes.

1 does not have to be an exact replica of a player to be consider for comparison. His style of play does it for me.

Quote:
Newton
Thief +15 swagger
Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post

Maybe statistically that is true, but from what I've seen that honor goes to Jim Druckenmiller from the mid-90's.