Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-06-2013, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha yeah. I'm still going with a mid-size tower but one that is a little more conducive to adding and removing parts. So one that is a little bigger.

Honestly, I don't think I would ever bother with water cooling. It's usually too complicated (plus the horror stories I've heard with it). And, honestly, unless you're running some kind of insane rig it's mostly unnecessary. Just gotta clean your computer every few months to ensure proper air flow and that will keep your machine from ever overheating.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
build it in a fish take.
While that is kind of neat, I've heard so many bad things about oil cooling. Won't get me sick overclokzzz the same way water will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Honestly, I don't think I would ever bother with water cooling. It's usually too complicated (plus the horror stories I've heard with it). And, honestly, unless you're running some kind of insane rig it's mostly unnecessary. Just gotta clean your computer every few months to ensure proper air flow and that will keep your machine from ever overheating.
If I had any sense, I wouldn't either. I've got this issue where I get obsessive about things and decide that I need to do them in the most optimal way possible. It's more of a challenge than anything else....although clock speeds in excess of 5Ghz certainly won't be bad. Overclocking GPU's is going to be a pretty big deal now as well with Nvidia taking measures to let them scale up with your cooling.

But yeah, it's probably a terrible idea. You can get pretty good performance with a well constructed air cooling setup and closed loop coolers...but it's just something I feel like I want to fool around with.

The aesthetics of it also make my inner 14 year old swoon.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:49 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that does look pretty sexy my rig is red and black also. I just have a pre filled water cooler for my cpu thats about it

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:58 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd been looking at the R4 and DS2 when I was looking to upgrade/build a new rig. Clean aesthetics and silent without sacrificing a lot cooling-wise. Plenty of room in both. Was probably going to go with the R4 because it's a bit more modular and open to various cooling setups.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
that does look pretty sexy my rig is red and black also. I just have a pre filled water cooler for my cpu thats about it
Haha, unfortunately it's not mine. My board is green, so I'm probably going with a green and black color scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I'd been looking at the R4 and DS2 when I was looking to upgrade/build a new rig. Clean aesthetics and silent without sacrificing a lot cooling-wise. Plenty of room in both. Was probably going to go with the R4 because it's a bit more modular and open to various cooling setups.
You can make the R4 look pretty sweet.

Really nice case. A friend asked me to do a build for him at some point in the future and I'm planning on going with that. Clean on the outside, clean on the inside.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I love that case. The ONLY potential issue I found is that you have to be careful what motherboard you get if you want a closed loop system with a radiator up top. Not really a big deal, though since you could just put the rad on the front instead. I was looking at a Swiftech H220 at the time. I'd pull all of the bays out. No optical drive, SSD's only - mounted on the backside of the motherboard tray, NAS for extra storage.

Last edited by nepg : 09-06-2013 at 08:43 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:07 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I need a keyboard. We've talked about it before but I ended up not buying one. Well, now I need to buy one. Suggestions go.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:36 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Yeah, I love that case. The ONLY potential issue I found is that you have to be careful what motherboard you get if you want a closed loop system with a radiator up top. Not really a big deal, though since you could just put the rad on the front instead. I was looking at a Swiftech H220 at the time. I'd pull all of the bays out. No optical drive, SSD's only - mounted on the backside of the motherboard tray, NAS for extra storage.
H220 is pretty good as I understand it. If I was able to tell myself when to stop and didn't plan on erecting a monument to my hubris, that's what I would have went with. Heard the stock fans are pretty bad though...but you replace those and it performs at the top of the closed loop cooler spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I need a keyboard. We've talked about it before but I ended up not buying one. Well, now I need to buy one. Suggestions go.
Mechanical for sure. Once you go away from membrane, you don't go back.

I like Ducky keyboards, but ended up going with the Logitech G710+ because I could actually find one in stock and it has a pretty sweet volume roller. Very solid keyboard that I highly recommend. My only real issue with it is that the orange accent looks like ****.

As far as other stuff goes, Razer makes some that are fairly well regarded and Cooler Master has a ton of options these days when it comes to switch types/backlighting at a pretty good price point. They also offer a switch sampler for like $15 so you can tell what switch is right for you. Comes with a voucher that puts the initial $15 towards one of their keyboards as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-07-2013, 05:25 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Anyone in ESO beta? I hit in, but didn't participate tonight.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:35 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Mechanical for sure. Once you go away from membrane, you don't go back.

I like Ducky keyboards, but ended up going with the Logitech G710+ because I could actually find one in stock and it has a pretty sweet volume roller. Very solid keyboard that I highly recommend. My only real issue with it is that the orange accent looks like ****.

As far as other stuff goes, Razer makes some that are fairly well regarded and Cooler Master has a ton of options these days when it comes to switch types/backlighting at a pretty good price point. They also offer a switch sampler for like $15 so you can tell what switch is right for you. Comes with a voucher that puts the initial $15 towards one of their keyboards as well.
I was actually looking at that G710 the other day. You like it huh? Hmm.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:37 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I was actually looking at that G710 the other day. You like it huh? Hmm.
I think it's pretty good. Full disclosure, it's the first mechanical I bought so I really don't have a whole ton to compare it to(besides a CherryMX Blue Razer keyboard I once played with. Preferred the brown switches), but Logitech has never really steered me wrong from a quality perspective. It's actually somewhat hard to find mechanical keyboards with additional amenities like dedicated media keys. I don't really like fudging around with function keys if it can be helped, so the ability to adjust the volume in an intuitive way is pretty sweet and really made it stand out for me. There's also rubber O-rings on all the keys, which make them a bit quieter and a little bit more responsive.

Again, the one thing I don't really enjoy about it is how it looks aesthetically, but that's 100% a personal preference. In terms of build quality and how good it feels to use, I've got nothing but good things to say about it.

It'll really come down to your switch preference though. Tough to decide without trying them all(which isn't easy to do for most people), but here's a useful image that I found useful when I was buying a mechanical. Spoiler for hugeness.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vidae posts this "Tell me what to buy!" crap every month or so... and then never pulls the trigger.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Anyone in ESO beta? I hit in, but didn't participate tonight.
Apparently I did too but didn't realize it. Oh well. Not like I could have played it without my desktop anyway.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:43 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone play CS:GO much? They just had a big update with skinned weapons and weapon/case drops after matches.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sooner or later I'm gonna build myself a new PC, my sister lives right next to a microcenter so I will probably buy from there, probably going to limit myself to around $600, do you think its neccisary to buy a new HD, mine is 5 years old or so and only 600 GB but I've never come close to filling it(have a TB external HD for movies/shows)

if you were to build a pc for $600 what would it look like, mostly for gaming/graphic design

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:43 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Sooner or later I'm gonna build myself a new PC, my sister lives right next to a microcenter so I will probably buy from there, probably going to limit myself to around $600, do you think its neccisary to buy a new HD, mine is 5 years old or so and only 600 GB but I've never come close to filling it(have a TB external HD for movies/shows)

if you were to build a pc for $600 what would it look like, mostly for gaming/graphic design
Anything else you can salvage besides the hard drive? Plan on playing games?

Microcenter is a fantastic resource to have. You're already starting ahead there.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-09-2013, 11:30 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

480w PS, couple cases I could empty out, blu-ray player/burner

and yes to games

Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

MSI has some seriously good features for the price. I've never built on them before though.

I'll have to take a look at some things, but the system njx suggested looks like a pretty good. You could even skimp out of a video card for now with an APU based system and get something down the line. I would personally want a little bit more headroom on the power supply as the 650 TI has a minimum of 430, but that's just me.

Also, RAM being that expensive sucks ****. Might go up a bit more in the near future too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-10-2013, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
off the top of my head, without spending a ton of time:
AMD A8 6600K Black Edition 3.9GHz Quad-Core Socket - $110
2x8GB Corsair DDR3-1333 - $140 ($120 w/ rebate)
EVGA 02G-P4-3658-KR NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boos - $190
then pick a motherboard, as there's a wide range of options for under $120. i tend to stick to asus these days, but i used to trust gigabyte. heard good things about msi.
maybe something like a
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Socket AM3+ ATX AMD Motherboard - $100
I think considering he could go to Microcenter he could get a better deal on an Intel processor. They have some amazing deals on Intel processors.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

microcenter has a deal if you buy a processor & mobo combo

http://www.microcenter.com/site/prod...d_bundles.aspx
http://www.microcenter.com/site/bran...r-bundles.aspx

and free games don't really mean anything to me, so don't worry about those deals

Last edited by fenikz : 09-10-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
microcenter has a deal if you buy a processor & mobo combo

http://www.microcenter.com/site/prod...d_bundles.aspx
http://www.microcenter.com/site/bran...r-bundles.aspx

and free games don't really mean anything to me, so don't worry about those deals

How's this? $52 over budget(less after rebates), but that's a heck of a lot of system that will last you quite awhile.

May be able to find some things that aren't processos/motherboards for slightly elss at other places.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 09-10-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:25 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I think considering he could go to Microcenter he could get a better deal on an Intel processor. They have some amazing deals on Intel processors.
Good deals on AMD processors as well. Microcenter is amazing.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-10-2013, 12:48 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But Intel > AMD all day

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:01 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

The 8350 is still a pretty strong chip for the price though. It's even beaten out some more recent Intel offerings as games stop being so single thread reliant. Certain applications can take advantage of the additional cores as well.

Since he's planning on gaming, you could easily argue that the money is better spent on on a stronger GPU.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-10-2013, 01:08 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

How big a difference is DDR3 ram over DDR2, I think I currently have 2 4GB sticks of DDR2 ram

seems they are not compatible actually, i should do some research

Last edited by fenikz : 09-10-2013 at 01:11 AM.