Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-10-2013, 02:21 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, physically won't fit.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:32 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

overclocking seems pretty simple, what are the pros & cons

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pros:
More performance out of components.

Cons:
Doing your homework for a couple of hours and testing it to make sure it's stable. Shortening the life of your components, potentially. As long as you don't plan on using the same processor or video card a decade from now, you should be fine with that though.

That's basically it. It's fairly straight forward. You'll need to buy an aftermarket cooling solution to keep up with the extra heat output though. Cooler Master makes a decent little air cooler for $30 that will allow you to get a pretty good overclock without getting too expensive or exotic. If you've never done it before, it does require you to learn a little bit about your motherboard and the platform. Most boards come with pre-defined settings if you want to be super lazy, but you've got to remember that they're going to build those settings around the worst case scenario so it's safe. Learning to do it yourself will yield better clocks at lower voltages.

Overclocking video cards is pretty easy too and something that will yield even better results than processor overclocking when it comes to gaming performance.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bleeeh don't do the Intel vs AMD generalizations. It's silly when people do it with GPUs don't do it with CPUs too. :P

Do it by price point or just STAPH! Although at the top end it's all Intel at the moment but AMD certainly has some of the better values around mid-range.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...lock,3106.html
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:06 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The computer EE listed is not shabby for being in the $600 price range.

As for AMD vs Intel... unless you are trying to build the holy grail of gaming computers it isn't going to matter. I have a FX 8150 for almost two years and it hasn't even come close to giving me issues. My ancient AMD 5970 still hasn't failed me and is still a top 8 AMD card 4 years later.

I spent double Fenkiz budget 2 years ago though.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
if you're planning to play games, you need a video card. discrete **** won't do it. unless, by play games, you meant solitaire. - misread an earlier post.

if you had $800, i'd go with an intel, but at $600, the value is just far, far better with AMD.

and i didn't really like their bundles, and didn't see them as a massive money saver. but again, that came down to my feelings on those motherboards, so i wouldn't say any of the pairings are necessarily bad, just not what i'd do. i'd get at least 16gb in RAM. especially if you're going to put in windows 7 (for the directx 11 stuff). you'll be choking with less.
I ran 8GB of RAM for a year on a Windows 7/8 installation fine without any problems. There's never anything wrong with getting more RAM if you can afford to do so, but money is better spent elsewhere if you're just going to be doing games and some graphics work(depending on if that means what I think it does). I've never really seen my RAM usage go over 4GB in a game. That will be going up with new consoles (finally)raising the bar, but 8GB should be fine for now. I'm sure more would come in handy at times, but yeah.

Also, you may want to substitute this board in.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...MD_Motherboard

A little bit more modern than the one I suggested initially. A little more expensive too. If it's starting to get a little pricey, there's never anything wrong with waiting until you have a bit more. Computers are one of those things that it pays to wait/spend a bit more on if you can...although you do eventually hit a point of diminishing returns. Not for a good while though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 09-10-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does cyber monday tend to have good deals on computer parts or is it generally more tvs/games

Old 09-10-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
it would be literally impossible for me to disagree more. the single biggest boost you can give to your system, the best bang for the buck is *always* more RAM (though an SSD is now in competition, as they've dropped prices). the OS tends to waste memory. and the more that's addressable (i.e. in a 64-bit OS), the better. i have... extremely strong doubts that you've never used more than 4 at a time. in fact, i don't think that's remotely close to true. *shrug*
The issue here is you then have to spend more on an OS that is capable of recognizing it. I am not 100% positive about Windows 8 but you needed to go to Pro or Ultimate to get 16 GB recognizable.

So sure the cost difference from 8 GB to 16 GB is basically nil in the scheme of things. Needing to upgrade your OS to recognize the added capacity is not.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

i wont be paying for a os

Old 09-10-2013, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Pro Bowler

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i wouldn't be buying windows 8 in the first place. and 64-bit 7 is like, 90$ (http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premiu...dp/B004Q0PT3I). pretty negligible. or just go linux in the first place.
I love Linux and all, but it's not the easiest choice for gaming purposes.
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:12 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
it would be literally impossible for me to disagree more. the single biggest boost you can give to your system, the best bang for the buck is *always* more RAM (though an SSD is now in competition, as they've dropped prices). the OS tends to waste memory. and the more that's addressable (i.e. in a 64-bit OS), the better. i have... extremely strong doubts that you've never used more than 4 at a time. in fact, i don't think that's remotely close to true. *shrug*
I may have, but I've never seen it. I do check occasionally as well. I grew up using older business laptops that were no ways ways optimized for games or any kind of multitasking, so I tend not to run more than one thing at a time ever. I don't do it as much anymore now that I have 16 GB in my system, but I used to check to watch the taskmanager like a hawk to ensure that I don't have anything frivolous open. My use case may be a little extreme, but yeah.

Even still, everything I've read over the past few years has said that more is better, but 8GB is enough. Some cursory current Googling supports that that assertion is current as well. If you're going to be running a lot of virtual machines and using more than one high usage RAM application at a time, then yeah. If you're on a fairly strict budget and targeting gaming performance, I would personally invest more into the GPU.

As far as desktop usage goes; I've run basically the same system with two different RAM kits(although with a different processor as well) and didn't notice a huge difference in day to day usage with 16 vs 8. Hardly scientific, but I have run both. Again, I tend to close out everything though. I don't even leave tabs open on my browser....or even leave my browser open.

As far as OS's go, I would run Linux if I could. I ran Ubuntu, Mint, and Debian for long periods of time in the past on aforementioned ****** laptops. Played around a little bit in Arch, but I'm just not l337 enough for it I guess. Wasn't my thing. Hopefully OpenGL continues to become more and more viable and games become more Linux friendly, but until then I'm fairly content running Windows. 8.1 really isn't THAT bad. Takes some getting used to, but they've made some pretty decent progress from where they started off with 8. I probably wouldn't be able to stand it without custom tiles, which do take a little bit of work to setup.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 09-10-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

8 gigs is enough for gaming but he will be doing designing as well and more Ram will do wonders and who pays for an OS anyways.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For gaming, you need 4GB. 8GB is nice. More than that is a bit overkill. For graphic design, however, the more you can stuff in there, the better.

For $600, I'd probably start at the 8320/ASRock bundle at Microcenter. $210 and 8320 is just an underclocked 8350, which is a good card for graphic design. Other basics: $50-60 PSU (Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, XFX only), $60 8GB RAM, $40-60 for a case. This leaves $210 for a GPU and maybe an aftermarket HS/F. That's enough for a GTX 660 or 7870. The 650 Ti Boost and 7850 are also solid options at lower price ranges, which would give you some cash to get at least a 212 Evo hs/f in there...or just for more memory.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:23 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
just re-read my post... sorry, didn't mean to come off as strongly with the 'you're an idiot or a liar' vibe. you may well be right, but what you report hasn't been reflected in my personal usage.
Didn't read it that way. It's cool man.

Pretty much echo what everyone else said. I will argue that with that budget, I would still put the cash into a stronger GPU though. More and more editing software is incorporating things like CUDA for additional performance. Fairly sure Adobe supports it as well. Also, it's pretty easy to buy another RAM kit somewhere down the line, it's harder to resell a GPU and get a stronger one.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-13-2013, 02:59 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Sooo back to games for just a bit;

Been playing a little bit of Rogue Legacy. Haven't done a whole ton, but it seems like an interesting idea. It seems like it can get a little bit grindy, but it's basically pre-Metroid Castlevania with a weird death mechanic.

There's actually a whole ton of indie games coming out that I'm quite excited about. This went up on Kickstarter today and looks amazing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-light-drifter

I tend not to give money to games that aren't completed, but the art style and gameplay are hitting me in a major weak spot. Looks like Terranigma and Shadow of the Colossus had a baby in the future.

That's straight up pixel porn for me. Whole game looks like that as well.

I want to be playing that right now.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 09-13-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just bought my parts. Went with an Intel i5-4670K Haswell processor. It's not a top of the line/top five processor by any means but it's still rated very well and preforms with some of the better processors. Did quite a bit of research on that. I did want an i7 but the jump up in price was just too much for me at the moment and it's performance was better than some i7's in some areas so I think it was a good choice. Went with a pretty standard Asus motherboard, nothing special. I got a nice combo deal for $349 on Newegg which was a steal for me.

Also bought a new Antec Three Hundred Two case. Hated my old case. Just way too cramped and caused some issues previously so I figured it would be best to just splurge and get the case as well.

I'm happy with my purchases. Because I'm not obsessive over having to run all my games on the highest settings I should be able to easily run games on high/medium settings for the next 4+ years. After that when I'm done with college and have a real job I can spring for an upgrade.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:19 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

good now have your **** sent to you!

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

No reason to be modest about a i5-4670K. That's a very strong processor. One of the best choices for gaming even, without getting into LGA 2011. In the past, an i7 has mostly been masturbatory for a computer primarily used for gaming(although they tend to overclock better with the higher binning), but more games are starting to use it. Still, you'll be able to run games at max with that for quite awhile. You'll run into GPU bottlenecks far quicker.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-13-2013, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
No reason to be modest about a i5-4670K. That's a very strong processor. One of the best choices for gaming even, without getting into LGA 2011. In the past, an i7 has mostly been masturbatory for a computer primarily used for gaming(although they tend to overclock better with the higher binning), but more games are starting to use it. Still, you'll be able to run games at max with that for quite awhile. You'll run into GPU bottlenecks far quicker.
I'm getting a GTX 680 for free so I'm hoping that will allow me to run things graphically for quite a while.

Also yes my goal is to have it sent down hopefully soon, bantx.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:01 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, the 4670k is pretty much top of the line. The only reason to go i7 for a gaming rig is if you're streaming.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:35 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Good to know. I feel like I got a great deal on it considering I got a motherboard in the deal too.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Woot woot. New parts arrived today. It's all up north so my brother will be putting it together and shipping it down. Hoping to have my computer here by next week.

I AM EXCITED! Also in time for the BF4 open beta in October.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Woot woot. New parts arrived today. It's all up north so my brother will be putting it together and shipping it down. Hoping to have my computer here by next week.

I AM EXCITED! Also in time for the BF4 open beta in October.
\o/

If I manage to get away from my 360 (GTA V) I'll hit you up for some DayZ. I haven't played since I got back in the States LOL.

Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
\o/

If I manage to get away from my 360 (GTA V) I'll hit you up for some DayZ. I haven't played since I got back in the States LOL.

Yeah. My playtime won't be amazing or anything but I should be able to get in a couple of hours now and then. Honestly at this point I wouldn't mind experimenting with some other DayZ mods for fun.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

WOOOOOO! Computer is working and should be here on Monday.

I is excite.