Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Veterans from other teams are always better than the guys we've drafted. Haven't you learned this by now?

But yeah, Vereen is a blow. I get the funny feeling that Bolden is in the doghouse a little bit because of his suspension last year. Really makes you wonder why he's on the roster if that's the case, but he just seemed to lose favor after that. Blount is a decent complimentary back, but I don't think he's good enough to be a feature back on a competitive team.

We may just have to ride with Ridley for a bit, fumbling and all. Not super happy about it. Not everyone can be the Lawfirm and straight up never fumble, but the rate at which (and ways) Ridley gives the ball away isn't good.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
That makes a question I had even more relevant: Why is Bolden inactive in favor of Blount? I like Blount - have since he signed and looked solid w/Tennessee. He isn't a stud, though, and seems unable to make the plays a guy of his size should make. I loved everything I saw out of Bolden and now he's out (presumably) b/c of a preseason fumble?

I don't get it.

I can only question our coaching staff at this point. None of these young guys seem to get much opportunity and that can only add to the lousy track record we have in the player development arena.
I don't know... I've never really questioned what McD does with RBs. He seems to always get it right.

And in regard to EE's post, it's frustrating. Yeah, they value the middle of the field, but teams don't have to respect the sidelines when they play the Pats and just stack the middle. It seems like every single pass was contested yesterday. Gronk opens things up (and KillaH sure helped stretch the D), but without him teams just don't have to respect anything but the middle of the field against the Pats.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:56 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
And in regard to EE's post, it's frustrating. Yeah, they value the middle of the field, but teams don't have to respect the sidelines when they play the Pats and just stack the middle. It seems like every single pass was contested yesterday. Gronk opens things up (and KillaH sure helped stretch the D), but without him teams just don't have to respect anything but the middle of the field against the Pats.
Again, I think that comes down to the route tree we ask receivers to run. All the plays to the outside are either quick bubble screens or option routes that require a lot of time to develop and tons of communication. Other teams just seem to be a lot quicker at getting the ball into the receivers hands downfield in space.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-09-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Veterans from other teams are always better than the guys we've drafted. Haven't you learned this by now?

But yeah, Vereen is a blow. I get the funny feeling that Bolden is in the doghouse a little bit because of his suspension last year. Really makes you wonder why he's on the roster if that's the case, but he just seemed to lose favor after that. Blount is a decent complimentary back, but I don't think he's good enough to be a feature back on a competitive team.

We may just have to ride with Ridley for a bit, fumbling and all. Not super happy about it. Not everyone can be the Lawfirm and straight up never fumble, but the rate at which (and ways) Ridley gives the ball away isn't good.
I hear you. It's frustrating as hell to watch the same scenario unfold at any given position every single year. Draft a guy but never play him b/c he doesn't have a 100% grasp of all the things that they can only understand 100% by getting reps. No reps, no experience, no PT. Rinse & repeat.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Well, we're about to find out if it's the personnel departments problem or the coaches sucking at player development. Either way, we've created an environment where it's tough for younger players to come into and be successful, particularly on offense.

...but we'll find out just what it is. Blount is the type of guy BB will give a longer leash than he should do, but we don't have any retreads to hide behind at receiver or tight end.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-10-2013, 01:40 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys, we have injuriezzzzzzzzzz
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we can't even get Amendola healthy for ******* week 1, why the hell did we elect to sign him up long term over Welkers measly 6 millions per. Like what the ****. Dobson better be showing signs of lie, because with Amendola, Vareen and Sudfeld out, idk who were going to throw to.

As a disclaimer, I actually prefer the going be tough to start the season and get this team ready for adversary. Ugh, just sucks that now that we seemed to have an adequate D our offense is going to pretty much go out the window (relative to what weve accomplished in the few years prior).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:18 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

If Dobson is healthy and doesn't play this week then I will have lost a little bit of hope in him. There's a huge opportunity for someone to step in and show something. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to be something.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-10-2013, 02:24 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If Dobson is healthy and doesn't play this week then I will have lost a little bit of hope in him. There's a huge opportunity for someone to step in and show something. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to be something.
Exactly. His injury just smacks of BB's typical convenience injury listings.

Jvig . . . you know Welker wasn't signing here, right?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I think that it's looking like whatever went down with Welker was regrettable, to say the least. Took fewer dollars for Denver, supposedly. Became more about the pissing match that occurred earlier in season last year than anything else, by the sounds of it. Amendola showed he can be a serious player for us last week...but the dude just can't stay on the field.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-10-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Exactly. His injury just smacks of BB's typical convenience injury listings.

Jvig . . . you know Welker wasn't signing here, right?
I don't buy that, not one bit. I think all he wanted was some gratitude from our side and BB's ego told him to get lost. Multiple reports were out saying our offers were pathetic, and judging by the signing in Denver I believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:52 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I don't buy that, not one bit. I think all he wanted was some gratitude from our side and BB's ego told him to get lost. Multiple reports were out saying our offers were pathetic, and judging by the signing in Denver I believe it.
He did say he was looking at NE and DEN as the only options, so maybe. But it seems like everything he's said since leaving made it pretty clear he wasn't being coddled enough. The ego thing works both ways.

2 years @ 10M vs 2 @ 12M isn't what I'd call "pathetic" at all. The talk at the time screamed of agent speak, to me. Intentional "leaks" without any actual information simply to drive the price up.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So we need a defense with depth issues to win against the Jets? Yikes. I wonder if I'm going to have the courage to even watch the game lol.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:26 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Vereen to the short term IR. ****.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-11-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone kind of get the feeling that the Patriots are going to lose this weekend?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am expecting a loss tomorrow.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:44 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Anyone kind of get the feeling that the Patriots are going to lose this weekend?
No. Not really. They had their rough game. They'll make adjustments based on how things went Sunday and I think they'll be OK. The Jets played over their heads and barely slipped by a below average team.

I just don't see the Pats coming out sloppy again when they're at home.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Considering we play tomorrow, I'm fairly certain we're safe for the weekend :p

You can make a strong case for it though. At some point or another, we're going to lose a game that we shouldn't. Tomorrow is a prime candidate with the offense struggling, the injuries, and the short turn around.

...still think we win. We're clearly still working some things out and it's going to take some time, but the Jets still can't get out of their own way at times. Provided we don't turn the ball over a bunch again(which is a possibility), I think we'll be alright. Someone has to step up big time though. Win or lose, I still think we're looking at an ugly game.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-11-2013, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't see the Jet's game this past weekend but was the secondary really bad? I ask because fantasy guys have Brady as the second ranked QB for this week, against a Jets team that gave up less than 20 points and Brady didn't really have a lot of help in his game on Sunday. I just don't see Brady putting up huge numbers unless he has some better targets than Thompkins and Edelman, especially against a Rex Ryan defense. Vereen was supposed to sort of kind of replace Hernandez's production, Amendola's out, Gronk's out. I don't see how he puts up big numbers.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:16 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Nope. Geno sucks, so does the entire offense. Their defense is legit though, but we're going to win.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:50 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see a really ugly game, and a likely loss. Brady struggles against defenses like the Jets, and they have successfully rebuild their defensive front. Cro will take out our only reliable receiver (Edelman! That's just sad) and Ridley has yet to prove he can hold on to the ball. While the Jet's offense is bad, we've fared poorly against mobile QBs, but maybe Collins can show his value as our top draft pick. I don't know but I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy.

Last edited by Blackluck : 09-12-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Someone needs to step up for sure. Agree with Blackluck about Edelman. If he's manned up against Cro, it's probably not going to be a matchup that works in our favor. I don't think we're going to see that(more on that later). I think we're probably looking at fools gold with Edelman's performance last week anyway though. In spite of us being shut down, that was basically the second unit of a secondary that isn't very good to began with(with the notable exception of Gilmore). Edelman made some plays, but he still hasn't shown that he can catch the ball away from his body or in stride. You pretty much have to throw it right at him.

It will be interesting to see which receivers play and where actually. Aside from Edelman, you have to figure Thompkins gets another shot on the outside. Dobson is listed as questionable for the night, but with the depth issues we have you gotta figure that he'll play if he can. Boyce is healthy and should have a huge chance to show something. He'll need to, as the offense is way better off with a dependable receiver on the inside. Edelman inside hides some of his weaknesses and probably keeps him away from Cromartie on most plays.

But yeah, I think it will probably be pretty ugly. There's an immense burden on the running game and Ridley. If he can't hang onto the ball, we're in serious trouble.

Also worth noting; Sudfeld is listed as questionable. In my opinion, it doesn't look like we're going to get much from him for awhile, but that's still another target to throw to potentially. Injuries are really hurting us at this point, taking their toll on both impact players and pure numbers.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 09-12-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Good lawdy . . . some of you really think the Geno Smith lead Jets are taking a win out of Foxboro?

Not happening. The Patriots are banged up and not looking great in plenty of aspects but they will pick it up for a prime time home debut and take the W. I'm thinking 31-17.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:46 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To me this is put up or shut up time for the defense. Lets make this clear, the Jets offense is horrible. They have exactly 2 players I would classify as above average on that side of the ball. We should under no circumstance allow over 17-20 points to that unit. We've invested money and picks for years into our defense. We have 6 former first round picks starting who all have are generally more experienced than their counterparts on the other side of the ball. The offense has gone out and dragged their sorry excuse of a performance to victories for years now. Tonight is the night for them to return the favor.

They're facing a unit that they thoroughly outclass talent-wise. They need to prove it on the field.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:45 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
To me this is put up or shut up time for the defense. Lets make this clear, the Jets offense is horrible. They have exactly 2 players I would classify as above average on that side of the ball. We should under no circumstance allow over 17-20 points to that unit. We've invested money and picks for years into our defense. We have 6 former first round picks starting who all have are generally more experienced than their counterparts on the other side of the ball. The offense has gone out and dragged their sorry excuse of a performance to victories for years now. Tonight is the night for them to return the favor.

They're facing a unit that they thoroughly outclass talent-wise. They need to prove it on the field.
Quoted for the truth. Easy to get wrapped up in this offense thing, but let's not forget that this is year 6 of the defensive rebuild. We've invested heavy draft capitol and cash both into this unit. We have the supposedly best defensive mind in the league at the head. We need to play like it.

R.I.P. Junior Seau