Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 09-08-2013, 05:26 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watching today's game was some of the most fun I've had watching the Jets in a while. Our defense looked great. Geno had his highs and lows, but I feel good about his performance. I'm also excited to see our run game against a weaker run defense.

Thursday should be interesting.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The O-line didn't play well at all but the team has to expect that defenses will be blitzing and coming after the rookie QB. They need to shore that up a little bit.

The d-line was great. The 3 sons, Harrison, Wilkerson, and Richardson all played well. I was really impressed with that group.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm keeping my expectations regarding Geno in check, but he did showcase some positive attributes. His ability to make things happen with his legs when plays broke down or the opportunity presented itself (but not really take hits) was nice. Definitely was tough, and made some nice throws. He's also very good in the screen game, which is great for Mornhinweg's offense (and helpful as a rookie).

I do think he needs to improve his ability to recognize the blitz, which was part of why the line looked bad. He had plenty of really clean pockets to work with as well. Accuracy was spotty at points and the turnovers were both rookie mistakes (though the fumble easily could've happened to a veteran also). But I think those are all things that can be improved upon. The key will be whether he grows, or stagnates/regresses.

The defensive line was awesome. Love Snacks, what a find. I am concerned about the pass defense though.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One thing I noticed with our corners was that they kept getting beat to the inside. I don't know if they're just protecting the outside and think that there is safety help and linebackers in the middle of the field or maybe they simply just got beat.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-09-2013, 10:07 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
One thing I noticed with our corners was that they kept getting beat to the inside. I don't know if they're just protecting the outside and think that there is safety help and linebackers in the middle of the field or maybe they simply just got beat.
That's a good call, I noticed the same thing. Maybe an emphasis on not getting beat deep and getting Freeman on a roll?

Also it looked to me like that big play to Jackson and the missed tackle from Landry, Jackson was so open because it was a corner blitz and he was in the slot. That's a tough thing to call when it's the guy covering the best wideout on the other team, hopefully they learn from that one.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Am I crazy or do we have a decent chance to beat NE on Thursday? Without Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Amendola, and Vereen, I think the Pats are ripe for the picking. I mean they still have Brady and I'm sure Edelmen will kill us. Then with our improved Run D and pass rush, I just think we might be able to shock the world on Thursday. Maybe I'm just being optimistic. Although, I do realize it will tough for a rookie QB to go into New England on a short week and beat the Pats.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-11-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Am I crazy or do we have a decent chance to beat NE on Thursday? Without Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Amendola, and Vereen, I think the Pats are ripe for the picking. I mean they still have Brady and I'm sure Edelmen will kill us. Then with our improved Run D and pass rush, I just think we might be able to shock the world on Thursday. Maybe I'm just being optimistic. Although, I do realize it will tough for a rookie QB to go into New England on a short week and beat the Pats.
Could be. Patriots lack of playmakers to spread out but Boyce and Dobson could surprise us.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I think they can potentially keep it competitive with the defense, and if Geno steps then there's definitely a shot they can pull it off. That said, even with the injuries and lack of weapons the Pats have to be favored by a wide margin. The Jets' complete lack of a run game won't help either.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:08 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Strangely, Smith showed a lack of arm strength in the first half but he showed better arm strength during the raining. I guess he has psychological issue. He needs to make all throws at full strength no matter what.

I noticed that Smith has problem with Gates. I suggest that OC needs to watch Smith-Austin connection during WVA period to learn Smith's timing. Gates probably is the quickest and fastest on the team so it is essential that Gates and Smith are on the same page.

Hill-Smith looks good but they are too much inconsistent. Come on.

Damn it. too many opportunity to seize the game. Failed all. damn it.

Judgement by tv angle, Mangold was not dirty at all. CB moved away from Mangold at the sideline but the hit happened at out of the bound. If CB did not move away, Mangold would hit CB's hip at the sideline.

Colon and Ferguson refused to leave the game and Bellicheck whined about it? Hilarious..

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Tough to lose that one, though I was happy that they kept it competitive. That was potentially going to be an ugly one playing the Pats on the road. A few thoughts.

Obviously Geno struggled in the 4th quarter. Looked better in the first half, but he clearly has a tendency to throw behind guys and hit the wrong shoulder, was the reason for all three picks. I’m sure Marty’s going to be drilling that into his head. Hopefully he watches film, learns from it, and moves forward as a better quarterback. He still seems more even keeled than Sanchez, so that helps.

The team also clearly needs more weapons offensively. The running backs actually looked pretty good, while it’d be nice to have a better stable of backs I think once Goodson returns they’ll be okay. Looks like Ivory’s starting to get his legs under him, which would be great, hope he can stay healthy. Receivers were brutal, Gates in particular. Hill was uneven and hopefully continues to polish a bit. Was disappointing that Spadola dropped his only target, think he had a shot to leapfrog Gates. Holmes looked pretty good actually, I think he may get stronger as the season goes on and, if he’s healthy at the end of the year, will be a go-to target. Pass catchers have to be a priority in the draft/FA though, just not enough guys who can go out and make a play. Geno could have been better too, but there were some plays left on the field by receivers too.

The defense really buckled down after a rough early start. Two consecutive games that the run D has been excellent. Love what Snacks has been doing, Richardson and Wilkerson are both awesome (and hopefully both okay after going down with late injuries), and Ellis looks good when he comes into the game for a few snaps too. Plus Douzable, the DL has been stellar. Harris and Davis look better than last year, Davis appears to be an upgrade over Scott.

Corner play was uneven throughout the game. A bit disappointed by what Cromartie’s done this year. Milliner’s going to take some time so I’m not particularly concerned yet, but he’s going to be a liability for a little while. Don’t think they did a good enough job trying to get Edelman covered, particularly given he was the clear go-to guy. Too many clean releases off the LOS.

Enough with the fullback dives in situations other than short yardage and 11 man punt blocks, too.

EDIT: Just saw that Geno said he accepts full responsibility for the loss and that he'll learn and get better. Love the attitude, now he has to go out and do it.

Last edited by derza222 : 09-13-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Well said Derza.

Apparently Milliner was benched sometime in the 2nd half last night. That's why we saw a lot of Walls who actually played pretty well from what I can tell. It'll be interesting to monitor this going forward. Rex is blaming Milliner's struggles on lack of reps in camp and the pre season. We'll see, I guess.

I haven't heard any news on Wilkerson and Richardson regarding possible injuries.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-14-2013, 09:20 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah I saw that too, I think it was a good call - he was playin gterribly. Still not overly concerned, I didn't expect him to be great right away although I was hoping he'd be better than this. If he's still bad early next season I'll start to worry, but that's a tough position to come into the NFL and play right away.

Really interested to see what the defense looks like when Q comes back. One more guy who's tough to block one on one.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:52 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Do they have enough of Geno Smith?

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:20 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Interesting game this weekend. Should be an indicator of whether or not the team is more of a 6-10 to 8-8 squad or if they're closer to the bottom 5 team in the league most seem to think. Obviously there's a lot of variance in this one with two rookie QB's, though.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:47 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

If Bills beat us, do you think Jets society would wish Jets took Manuel instead of Millner? lol.

It is frustrating that a quarterback hasn't been a found for many years. That attitude alone will prompt me to get Teddy Bridgewater at all costs.

Smith or Simms has to show us that he can carry a game to a victory without any luck.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Well that was ugly, but I'll take the win. Lots to work on, but it's encouraging that they were able to come out on top despite all the mistakes.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:12 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I like the way offense attacked 1st down mark or beyond that. Smith is still learning how to throw football more consistently so ups and downs are expected.

I like to see Hill and Holmes score TD in same game weekly. Defense is stout but needs to keep yellow flags inside referee's pocket for most of the game.

Harris looks much better this game. Shred some weight lately?

I think Walls instead of Wilson should rotate with Milliner.

I am not ready to call Powell our RB but I like to see him continuing reaching at least 20 carries for 100 yards regularly. Love to see him to score touchdown to along with 100 yards.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

20+ penalties is so disgusting. Extremely lucky to win when you make that many mistakes. Luckily for us, Buffalo is just as incompetent as the Jets.

I loved seeing Geno making accurate throws on the vertical patterns. He still has a lot to work on and needs to cut down on the mistakes, but you can tell why some people were really high on him during the draft process.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-26-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Should be an interesting game against the Titans this week. Two solid defenses and two talented but erratic quarterbacks. Have to cut down on the mistakes obviously. Think it'll be a tough, low scoring game. Would be awesome to come out on top.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:11 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

While it is unlikely that they are top in USC list for new head coach, do you see any possibility that either Marty or Thurman could be USC next head coach?

I may be okay with Marty gone because WCO coaches almost always are available.

I am not ready to let Thurman go because I want the same defense with or without Ryan. This defense is unique so there are not many coaches with this familiarity.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:35 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I don't think either's likely to be in line for the USC job.

That said, I'd think Mornhinweg is more important than Thurman. Only way it matters is if the team plays okay, Rex stays around and the coaching staff stays intact. Rex still runs the defense, and while the increased talent helps Mornhinweg is easily the best offensive coordinator the Jets have had in years. Think losing him would hurt way more than Thurman.

Big game today. I'm expecting the Titans to win the turnover battle and the game, but it'd obviously be awesome if the Jets manage to move to 3-1.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:11 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I know Smith is on the learning curve but man, it is really bad. Interesting that Jets had no problem to pull 1st round CB out of game but let 2nd round QB stay in game.

Glad to see Walls started this game. Lost 2 battles despite of solid coverage. Hold penalty. Failed to deflect the touchdown pass. All happened in 1st half but in 2nd half, he holds his fort just fine. Hopefully, he covers tighter for the rest of the season.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vlad Ducasse is the worst football player in the NFL.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsorace View Post
Vlad Ducasse is the worst football player in the NFL.
Congratulation! You got the wish.

Machete - Idzik.
First Kill - Ryan.
2nd Kill - Mornhinweg.
3rd Kill - Thurman.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Yep, Winters in for Ducasse. I loved Winters as a prospect so I'm excited to see how he'll do. He'll at least be better than Ducasse, right?

Sig by BoneKrusher