Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 09-22-2013, 04:16 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
and power, and agility, and vision and explosiveness

Maybe a DeAngelo Williams
I don't see power, agility isn't much use when you're indecisive in the hole, his vision looks kind of suspect to me and again I think he's hesitant to make a decision and hit what he sees, and as with the rest, "explosiveness" as measured by a combine drill doesn't mean much if he won't just plant his foot and get downfield. The thing that makes CJ Spiller and Jamaal Charles great is that for all their speed, they anticipate holes before they are there and are always using that explosiveness to get downfield not just 40-time-fast, but as soon as possible - Seastrunk is the kind of frustrating runner who looks like he's bobbing and weaving in hopes that he sees a big patch of green before really turning on the jets. I'll give you the DeAngelo Williams comparison, though, because I think he's a clear step down from the other two and I notice some of the same things when I watch DeAngelo. I don't think he or Lache are all that great at actually breaking tackles, either. But CJ Spiller and Jamaal Charles are two of the best in the league and are archetypical players, and I really don't think Lache is on that level.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 09-22-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:48 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Zwinek, PSU RB: Definately the next Mike Allstott.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:22 AM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jameis Winston = Eli Manning(Escape ability/panic mode)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
Newton
South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
Barely literate +5 swagger
Thief +15 swagger
Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
Big, average speed -3 swagger
Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
Total Swagger: 62
ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts

Last edited by shylo3716 : 10-16-2013 at 02:12 PM.
shylo3716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
Zwinek, PSU RB: Definately the next Mike Allstott.
I've seen Jesse James compared to Rob Gronkowski and Chrisitian Hackenberg to Tom Brady. How do they ever lose a game.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I've seen Jesse James compared to Rob Gronkowski and Chrisitian Hackenberg to Tom Brady. How do they ever lose a game.
Comparisons, not projections/predictions. There's more to winning than just 3 players.

Besides, Jesse James is being underutilized in that offense. He's such a good blocker, they barely have him running routes. And when he does, he's usually open.

Tom Brady didn't exactly have spectacular college numbers.

I really don't see that comparison anyway. Hackenberg is much more physically gifted, especially his arm.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:05 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

James White = Johnathan Franklin
Old 09-22-2013, 05:19 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgsr View Post
James White = Johnathan Franklin
I don't see it. White might make a roster but he doesn't possess the traits to translate to the next level. He's quick but not fast, small frame and isn't physical. He could be a team's 3rd RB but nothing more than that.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:28 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I don't see it. White might make a roster but he doesn't possess the traits to translate to the next level. He's quick but not fast, small frame and isn't physical. He could be a team's 3rd RB but nothing more than that.
He's fast enough. Long speed is one of the most overrated traits for a RB. He's a good pass blocker for his size (and has great hands). That's the reason Melvin Gordon isn't getting more snaps yet.

Guess what? Franklin was 3rd on the depth chart.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:57 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's fast enough. Long speed is one of the most overrated traits for a RB. He's a good pass blocker for his size (and has great hands). That's the reason Melvin Gordon isn't getting more snaps yet.

Guess what? Franklin was 3rd on the depth chart.
Johnathan Franklin started the year as the 3rd back as a matter of circumstance, not ability.

Franklin has much more short range explosion than White.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:32 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
I don't see power, agility isn't much use when you're indecisive in the hole, his vision looks kind of suspect to me and again I think he's hesitant to make a decision and hit what he sees, and as with the rest, "explosiveness" as measured by a combine drill doesn't mean much if he won't just plant his foot and get downfield. The thing that makes CJ Spiller and Jamaal Charles great is that for all their speed, they anticipate holes before they are there and are always using that explosiveness to get downfield not just 40-time-fast, but as soon as possible - Seastrunk is the kind of frustrating runner who looks like he's bobbing and weaving in hopes that he sees a big patch of green before really turning on the jets. I'll give you the DeAngelo Williams comparison, though, because I think he's a clear step down from the other two and I notice some of the same things when I watch DeAngelo. I don't think he or Lache are all that great at actually breaking tackles, either. But CJ Spiller and Jamaal Charles are two of the best in the league and are archetypical players, and I really don't think Lache is on that level.
I guess I'm comparing him more to those guys in college, not really factoring in what they do or how they run in the pros. They've both developed a lot since college, and I think Seastrunk will as well
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:59 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've watched Derek Carr a few times, haven't had a chance to actually break down film (I usually do that after the season) but I really like what I see from him. He's got a strong arm, good accuracy, good mechanics (unlike his brother) and good mobility. Watching him I see a young Big Ben.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Blawbert
Rookie

Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
I've watched Derek Carr a few times, haven't had a chance to actually break down film (I usually do that after the season) but I really like what I see from him. He's got a strong arm, good accuracy, good mechanics (unlike his brother) and good mobility. Watching him I see a young Big Ben.
Yes, hes a very talented quarters prospect. I have high hopes for him.
Blawbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jace Amaro - Jimmy Graham
Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

Quote:
Jace Amaro - Jimmy Graham
Amaro has great ball skills and and body control, but I don't think he plays quite as big as Graham.

I think Amaro is closer to guys like Tony Scheffler, Todd Heap, and Dennis Pitta.

Last edited by norcalgsr : 09-25-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't think he plays quite as big as Graham.
what do you mean? He uses his length and height to go up and gets the ball in the air (like Graham), but it's not like Graham is really known for mauling people in the run game or anything. It's pretty much the fact that he's 6'6" and goes after the ball. "playing big" is pretty much just a statement about their dimensions... they're big. I don't really understand that objection to the comparison.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Another TT guy, Jakeem Grant, made me think of Brandon Banks with the ball in his hands.

He won't be declaring this year, though.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:25 AM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

Quote:
what do you mean? He uses his length and height to go up and gets the ball in the air (like Graham), but it's not like Graham is really known for mauling people in the run game or anything. It's pretty much the fact that he's 6'6" and goes after the ball. "playing big" is pretty much just a statement about their dimensions... they're big. I don't really understand that objection to the comparison.
I'm not trying to slight Amaro. I really like him. But being the same size as Jimmy Graham and having great ball skills don't make you Jimmy Graham. Graham is special, he's just on another level.

Amaro is much closer to Dennis Pitta than Graham. Pitta has great ball skills and can run after the catch. But he's no Graham either.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:17 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm not trying to slight Amaro. I really like him. But being the same size as Jimmy Graham and having great ball skills don't make you Jimmy Graham. Graham is special, he's just on another level.

Amaro is much closer to Dennis Pitta than Graham. Pitta has great ball skills and can run after the catch. But he's no Graham either.
Well, if that's your argument, I think all I can say is that I think you're underrating Amaro's athleticism, because that's the basis for the Graham comparison. Amaro, like Graham, has a suddenness rare for a player that size, and it comes into play when he's running after the catch as well as running routes. Graham's got that ability to just plant his foot, flip his hips and instantly be moving in the other direction, and with his size that's a huge target suddenly changing directions, which is extremely hard to cover, especially for the linebackers who are often tasked with covering the tight end. Then you factor in the ability to run after the catch elusively as well as powerfully (Amaro's got a mean stiffarm) and you've got a Graham comparison.

And for what it's worth, when I compare him to Graham I'm not comparing what I think his stats will be. Gronkowski and Graham post some pretty similar stats, but they're pretty different stylistically. Maybe Amaro's stats will be more like Pitta's, maybe he's "Graham-lite," but as a huge, lanky, fluid athlete with good ball skills and speed, I definitely think he's in the Graham category of tight ends.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

I'm not underrating him. I think he's arguably the best TE in this draft just on purely receiving skills. He's just not on Graham's level.

Also, I'm skeptical on Amaro's listed 6'6" height. I think he's going to come in a tad under 6'5".
Old 10-01-2013, 06:55 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

De'Anthony Thomas = Garrett Wolfe

If I hear one more Darren Sproles comparison...!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:08 PM    (permalink
grushcow
Rookie

grushcow is a cocksman.grushcow is a cocksman.grushcow is a cocksman.grushcow is a cocksman.

Johnny Manziel = Tony Romo

Thoughts? I really think they're similar, play-style wise.
grushcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:53 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Manziel does have that trait that Romo and Favre have where they can improvise any given play like it's school yard football and make magical things happen. I'll give ya that.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Marion Grice - Fred Jackson
Old 10-05-2013, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spurrier was on ESPN earlier this week and he compared Manziel to Russell Wilson. It's not an original comparison but I think it's a quality one. Towards the end of the season some of the improvising that I saw from Wilson, specifically in the SF game in Seattle, reminded me a lot of what Manziel does when he improvises on his feet. Obviously Wilson is a more efficient and accurate passer. But I think the fact that they're both seen as undersized, both have great arms, and can improvise when a play breaks down makes them pretty similar.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
Spurrier was on ESPN earlier this week and he compared Manziel to Russell Wilson. It's not an original comparison but I think it's a quality one. Towards the end of the season some of the improvising that I saw from Wilson, specifically in the SF game in Seattle, reminded me a lot of what Manziel does when he improvises on his feet. Obviously Wilson is a more efficient and accurate passer. But I think the fact that they're both seen as undersized, both have great arms, and can improvise when a play breaks down makes them pretty similar.
I like the comparison in that both can extend plays behind the line of scrimmage with their legs and throw well on the move. Would argue both have great arms. Not sure if that was a missprint.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote