Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 10-01-2013, 10:24 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
How was it not Elite?

Please enlighten me.

2001 - 6-6 Lost in Las Vegas Bowl in Carroll's first year.
2002 - 11-2 Won the Orange Bowl and finished 4th in the nation
2003 - 12-1 Wins the Rose Bowl and the AP title (Should have played LSU)
2004 - 11-0 Wins the National Title in dominating fashion
2005 - 12-1 Loses to Texas in the best national title game ever
2006 - 11-2 Win the Rose Bowl - Finished 4th in the country
2007 - 11-2 Win the Rose Bowl - Was a UCLA loss away from smacking OSU in the title
2008 - 12-1 Win the Rose Bowl (One of the best defenses in history) - Finished 2nd
2009 - 9-4 - Win the Emrald Bowl

5 BCS bowl game wins, 1.5 National titles and a career 83-19 record. If that is not elite, I don't know what is.
By basis of comparison....

1987 - 11-1 & won the Fiesta Bowl vs. 10-1 Nebraska. Sole loss to MNC Miami by 1.

1988 - 11-1 & won the Sugar Bowl vs. 10-1 Auburn.

1989 - 10-2 & won the Fiesta Bowl vs. 10-1 Nebraska

1990 - 10-2 & won the Blockbuster Bowl vs. 9-2 Penn State

1991 - 11-2 & won the Cotton Bowl vs. 10-1 Texas A&M

1992 - 11-1 & won the Orange Bowl vs. 9-2 Nebraska

1993 - Consensus MNC, 12-1 & won the Orange Bowl vs. 11-0 Nebraska

1994 - 10-1-1 & won the 5th Quarter in the French Quarter (Sugar Bowl) vs. 10-1-1 Florida.

1995 - 10-2 & won won the Orange Bowl vs. 9-2 Notre Dame

1996 - 11-1 & lost MNC game to Florida. Should have been a split MNC given the 1-1 mark the teams shared.

1997 - 11-1 & won the Sugar Bowl vs. 10-2 Ohio State.

1998 - 11-2 & lost the BCS CG to 12-0 Tennessee

1999 - 12-0 & won the BCS CG vs. 11-0 Virginia Tech. First and only team with a MNC to be the wire to wire #1 team.

2000 - 11-2 & lost the BCS CG to 12-0 Oklahoma

Total:
152-19-1 (.887)
2 MNCs
9 conference champions (joined the ACC in 1992)
9 "BCS" Bowl wins
11-3 Bowl Record
Played in 5 MNC bowl games, not including the 1987 game vs. Miami that served the same purpose.

That is the bar.... USC couldn't go more than 7 seasons winning 10 games and being in the Top 5. As such that isn't half of what FSU actually did, so no compared to FSU's unprecedented run, that isn't elite, unless FSU is something much greater than elite.
MassNole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And then the game passed Bowden by. He dominated the 90's with thugs who didn't belong in middle school intelligence wise, let alone college and then went into years of mediocrity (much like USC has with Kiffin recently). Yet you **** the **** out FSU's dick like they have never been down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And then the game passed Bowden by. He dominated the 90's with thugs who didn't belong in middle school intelligence wise, let alone college and then went into years of mediocrity (much like USC has with Kiffin recently). Yet you **** the **** out FSU's dick like they have never been down.
11 national championships to FSU's 2. It starts and stops there. FSU can't touch USC. Masshole is on cloud nine with FSU starting to win again under Jimbo. let him enjoy it while it lasts. One of USC's 11 national championships probably don't count to him anyways since one was probably on a leap year...

Back on topic, who do you want/think it will be for USC's next head coach?
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:24 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
11 national championships to FSU's 2. It starts and stops there. FSU can't touch USC. Masshole is on cloud nine with FSU starting to win again under Jimbo. let him enjoy it while it lasts. One of USC's 11 national championships probably don't count to him anyways since one was probably on a leap year...

Back on topic, who do you want/think it will be for USC's next head coach?
Early hunch is Franklin or Del Rio...want Petersen the most.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Early hunch is Franklin or Del Rio...want Petersen the most.
I think Del Rio would be a good fit, at the end of the year of course. Sarkisian might be tempted although he has a good gig going up here with maybe slightly less expectations.

Turn back the clock, Sark to USC and Mora to Washington a few years back would have probably made more sense.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I think Del Rio would be a good fit, at the end of the year of course. Sarkisian might be tempted although he has a good gig going up here with maybe slightly less expectations.

Turn back the clock, Sark to USC and Mora to Washington a few years back would have probably made more sense.
Sark supposedly took his name out of the race last time because he wanted to see it through with the team he had with Locker.

I personally wouldn't be upset if we hired without SC ties.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For USC:

An oddball choice I keep hearing floating around is Ken Whisenhunt. I really don't know what I think of that one. Also Greg Roman from the 9'ers and Pep Hamilton, the Indy OC.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
For USC:

An oddball choice I keep hearing floating around is Ken Whisenhunt. I really don't know what I think of that one. Also Greg Roman from the 9'ers and Pep Hamilton, the Indy OC.
I think that Roman and Hamilton would both be great coaches but I wonder if they would leave for SC because I feel like they are both in line for head coaching gigs in the NFL. Roman is already arguably the top assistant in the league and I've been very impressed with Hamilton so far.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:44 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Please take James Franklin so I don't have to hear from, or about the douche in local media anymore.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:50 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sark supposedly took his name out of the race last time because he wanted to see it through with the team he had with Locker.

Serious question: for USC, is hiring someone with ties that important?

I've always thought that hiring a guy with ties to the school was important for 2nd tier programs, the ones that aren't afterthoughts, but the ones that aren't competing for national championships annually. Or for schools where the atmosphere and locations are just that different, like a Wisconsin or I don't know like Pittsburgh. Somewhere that it might take a full understanding of what it takes to succeed there.

For like USC or Texas or Florida, I didn't think there was ever the need for someone of understanding "what it takes to win there" but more just knowing to deal with the spotlight and so forth.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post

I've always thought that hiring a guy with ties to the school was important for 2nd tier programs, the ones that aren't afterthoughts, but the ones that aren't competing for national championships annually. Or for schools where the atmosphere and locations are just that different, like a Wisconsin or I don't know like Pittsburgh. Somewhere that it might take a full understanding of what it takes to succeed there.

For like USC or Texas or Florida, I didn't think there was ever the need for someone of understanding "what it takes to win there" but more just knowing to deal with the spotlight and so forth.
Well there are typically solid coaches that hare connected to USC, so I think there are are always rumors of those coaches being hot candidates (Del Rio, Sark, etc). But I agree, they don't need to hire from their pool at all...this would be an intriguing job to just about anyone.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2013, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
No. It is a position where as long as you can coach, you already have Tee Martin, Ed O, and others on staff that can recruit, just go win games. Pete Carroll and John Robinson weren't in USC lineage and fared fine.

if anything, I hope we go outside the USC lineage and get a guy like Chris Peterson or Charlie Strong.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

History suggests USC will mess up this hire like they have with everyone but Pete Carroll the last 30 years.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No. It is a position where as long as you can coach, you already have Tee Martin, Ed O, and others on staff that can recruit, just go win games. Pete Carroll and John Robinson weren't in USC lineage and fared fine.

if anything, I hope we go outside the USC lineage and get a guy like Chris Peterson or Charlie Strong.
That's what I was thinking, and I'm sure it's always nice to have like a prodigal son come back, but didn't know if that was a big requirement for maybe the fans.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Admittedly my opinion on this is fairly weak, but I don't see the fascination with Strong. Not sure Louisville is even relevant if he didn't have a superstar QB fall into his lap.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
History suggests USC will mess up this hire like they have with everyone but Pete Carroll the last 30 years.
You just love being an absolute ******* tool, don't you?

Quote:
Old 10-01-2013, 03:11 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

History suggest there's going to be another dumb discussion in here.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-01-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

I fell into that trap, I immediately regret my last post.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Admittedly my opinion on this is fairly weak, but I don't see the fascination with Strong. Not sure Louisville is even relevant if he didn't have a superstar QB fall into his lap.
Strong deserved a great job based on his resume as a DC at Florida alone.

That said, I'd agree that his tenure at Louisville has been overrated. We're talking about a guy who has had one good year, and that's largely off the back of his offense, something he has nothing to do with.

But he's young-ish, and he's charismatic, and he's a hot name. That's how this works.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:17 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I fell into that trap, I immediately regret my last post.
Don't be. He clearly does.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:20 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
What did Miami do to lose his commitment? Was he that attached to Shannon?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

He was rocky to begin with because fans were unhappy with Jacory cause he threw 18 INTs a game but Shannon getting fired pretty much finished off any chance with him.

And I guess I see why Strong has a buzz around him, but his Louisville defenses are so meh, and it's not like he's recruited insanely well there. I think he's a good coach but SC shouldn't even talk to him about the job.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-01-2013, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

That's a few years back now with Locker. Sark losing his senior QB and you could probably make the case that the UW probably can't go much further than where they're at now.

Sorry for changing the subject.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:43 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Going back and reading this thread is funny and a good reminder why speculation about coaching hires is dumber than most things on the internet. Even after the hires it's pretty bad. Tenn coaching search had some solid lulz.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-01-2013, 03:45 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He was rocky to begin with because fans were unhappy with Jacory cause he threw 18 INTs a game but Shannon getting fired pretty much finished off any chance with him.

And I guess I see why Strong has a buzz around him, but his Louisville defenses are so meh, and it's not like he's recruited insanely well there. I think he's a good coach but SC shouldn't even talk to him about the job.
At Auburn he would be scary. At USC he'd fail miserably.